Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Am I the typical AMA member?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Am I the typical AMA member?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 10:16 AM
crownvic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I the typical AMA member?

I have been reading some of the post in this forum and came to the realization that i know nothing about the AMA and have been a member for 16 years. The only reason I joined was that I had to if I wanted to fly at any of the local clubs or organized flying fields. So i just pay my dues glance at the magazine and go fly my planes and hope that someone in this organization is looking out for my best interest!

Lonnie
Old 07-08-2004, 10:19 AM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Am I the typical AMA member?

Probably
Old 07-08-2004, 10:32 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Actually, you're an above average member. You at least HOPE that someone is looking out for your best interests. Most everyone else just grumbles about being "forced" to join the AMA so they can fly, whine about how bad the magazine is, moan about the Muncie site, and gripe about the AMA doing nothing for them.
Old 07-08-2004, 11:01 AM
DustOffUH1
My Feedback: (2)

I have been reading some of the post in this forum and came to the realization that i know nothing about the AMA and have been a member for 16 years. The only reason I joined was that I had to if I wanted to fly at any of the local clubs or organized flying fields. So i just pay my dues glance at the magazine and go fly my planes and hope that someone in this organization is looking out for my best interest!
Ditto,,, but I've been a member for only about a year and a half, to 2 years. I do like the magazine. I think the part I enjoy most is looking at the pics of the aircraft that the members build and send in.
Joe
Old 07-08-2004, 11:21 AM
J_R

ORIGINAL: DustOffUH1

Ditto,,, but I've been a member for only about a year and a half, to 2 years. I do like the magazine. I think the part I enjoy most is looking at the pics of the aircraft that the members build and send in.
Joe
Let me ask each of you a question. Obviously, you are showing some interest in the AMA.

Should Model Aviation Magazine include more of the information you find here, or is it more desirable to have pictures of AMA member's planes?
Old 07-08-2004, 11:32 AM
DustOffUH1
My Feedback: (2)

Obviously, looking at other members planes doesn't "help" much. But I do enjoy it, and get some great ideas for new builds. Plus I appreciate all the very hard work and time that goes into them. I do read their articles also to gain some knowlege and do find them interesting. So to answer your question, which is more desireable? The pictures. Which would be more helpful, the type of information found on this web site.
Joe
Old 07-08-2004, 12:10 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: J_R

Let me ask each of you a question. Obviously, you are showing some interest in the AMA.

Should Model Aviation Magazine include more of the information you find here, or is it more desirable to have pictures of AMA member's planes?
I am not sure if you desire a response in general from the readers but what the hey.

I hope MA continues closely as they have and never gets to the level of this forum! Most of the information of any real use here might be more easily obtained by making the appropriate calls to the AMA. Of course this forum serves its pupose... but that is as it should be.

Maybe we should post more pictures here tho...
Old 07-08-2004, 12:28 PM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

No, most members talk that the AMA is a well managed organization that gives modelers tons of incentives and protection. These are the members that preach that every flyer MUST belong to the AMA. That illussion disappears when they become club officers and actually have to deal with the AMA. Then they discover how clueless they are about this organization.
Old 07-08-2004, 12:31 PM
J_R

littlecrankshaf

Sure, any opinions are welcome.

Since it appears that most members only think of the AMA as an insurance company, and little appears in MA to dispel that, how can a member have any idea of what to ask? It seems most will not even inquire by e-mail or contact the AMA leaders or staff when they do have questions or input.

Having to sort though all the irrelevant bickering in this forum (and I am as guilty as anyone) should not be the only choice to find out what is going on, in my opinion. The AMA site is helpful, but, it is obvious many members are not able to readily find information there.
Old 07-08-2004, 12:48 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the mag too. In fact it is now the only one I read. No point in buying nothing but ad's.
Old 07-08-2004, 05:25 PM
J_R

Just as a point of interest, every one does know that the AMA web site carries a section of pictures of members planes each month... right? Does anyone know where it is?

It would seem that if members really want pictures, this would be the place to put more of them. Hard disk space is cheap.
Old 07-08-2004, 05:40 PM
A320driver
My Feedback: (1)

Joined because I had to. Much the same for most other people I know. Magazine holds very little interest for me, but that is just me. The national flying site in BFE Muncie though is something else. That is a complete waste of mine and most other peoples annual dues. Can't say that you will see me at the Nat's anytime soon and I am a regular IMAC/SCAT competitor.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:02 PM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The problem most of us have with the approach you say you like is that we get to pay for the antics of those who are not speaking to us.
Old 07-09-2004, 06:29 AM
blue62

just another "tax" on the hobby. sure they are looking out for our best interests i guess but i too will never be in muncie so i don't care for the flying site there either. don't compete, i just fly when i get the chance. oh yes i pay my "tax" every year
Old 07-09-2004, 09:59 AM
littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: Jim Branaum

The problem most of us have with the approach you say you like is that we get to pay for the antics of those who are not speaking to us.
Jim

? I can't find anyway to reconcile your comment to my post.
please shine a little light on your perspective/comment...unless you are growing your own crop of mushrooms. Or is that just the AMA way?
Old 07-09-2004, 10:21 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I for one know nothing other than what I read in the MA mag.
What I will say is that I enjoy the freedom that the AMA membership give me as far as visiting other clubs and having visitors fellowship with my flying buddies.

I for one beleive the new AMA HQ is necessary. Most organizations have to present a professional image to be respected. Our new HQ gives us this leverage. We need to promot the PR aspect of our hobby to ensure it's longevity.

ORIGINAL: crownvic
Lonnie
Old 07-09-2004, 01:20 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Agreed. You may never visit the national flying site or the museum in your lifetime, but that's not why it's there. A national organization that has put down roots and established a wholly-owned permanent headquarters with a world-class facility dedicated to the activity it represents has a lot more political clout than one that operates from rented commercial space in a seedy section of town. Image is everything, and these days, we need as much political clout as we can muster.

IIRC, Muncie is within a day's drive of 90% of AMA members.
Old 07-09-2004, 04:36 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

we owned the hq and museum facility in reston, a dc suburb, before and well into the move to muncie.
Old 07-09-2004, 06:11 PM
crownvic

J-R I never read any of the political stuff! look at a few ads' mabey read a tech article' read about scale' see what events are going on in my district. I dont no if the mag should have any thing to do with the politics? Probably should just stick with the airplanes.
Lonnie
Old 07-09-2004, 07:23 PM
Jim Branaum

LITTLE CRANKSHAFT,
Leaving everything exactly the way it is and if a member WANTS info he has to CALL (read that as spend more money) Muncie for answers (as you said) is simply another way of shoveling ferterlizer and growing mushrooms. The results are known, we get to pay more dues to support the monument others want to create with less knowledge of any logic behind the spendthrift actions (IMS show as a good example, the multi thousand dollar photocopier lease for another).

What is your problem the last couple of days? Don't get yourself all wound up in a personal attack, I speak my opinions and I try not to throw as much horse manure around as others do.
Old 07-09-2004, 07:32 PM
abel_pranger

ORIGINAL: Matt Kirsch

Agreed. You may never visit the national flying site or the museum in your lifetime, but that's not why it's there. A national organization that has put down roots and established a wholly-owned permanent headquarters with a world-class facility dedicated to the activity it represents has a lot more political clout than one that operates from rented commercial space in a seedy section of town. Image is everything, and these days, we need as much political clout as we can muster.

IIRC, Muncie is within a day's drive of 90% of AMA members.
Matt and Geistware-

We've all heard the argument of the necessity of a 'world class' facility and the image, political clout, etc. that depend on it before, from HQ sources IIRC. Now it sounds good and all, but where's the beef, if I may ask. Can either of you point to any specific examples of a manifest benefit to model aviation in general or AMA members specifically that might in any way have been impacted by that impressive presence on the landscape of a Muncie Indiana cornfield?
Do either of you remember the argument, fund pledge campaign, and so on regarding the purchase of the HQ building in Reston, VA? You know, the one that AMA for years tried to unload after purchase of the Muncie property, and finally sold to the church congregation that was renting it on the condition that AMA carry back the mortgage, provide allowances for improvements like a new roof, etc. Did AMA make a profit on that investment, or even come close to breaking even? Did any political clout/image advantage ever become manifest while AMA owned it?
In my recollection, the fine words spoken to campaign for purchase of the HQ building in Reston were remarkably similar to those we now hear justifying the Muncie purchase and continuing development, notable exception being the need for presence in Washington, DC. Interesting that the need for presence in DC broaches the discussion in Muncie from time to time since the move.........things like a pressing need for an AMA Washington liaison office.

Abel
Old 07-09-2004, 08:07 PM
Jim Branaum

Abel,
You shouldn't be referring to the needed political hack in DC bit again! I thought DB finally admitted that was a bad idea.

Sorry that was in my dreams again.

Yeah, that was a great deal that was all in MA for anyone to read who had an interest in the buy before it happened. Bulls__t

Oh my, wasn't DB the one who "sold" us on the idea of Muncie, AFTER we bought it?

Do you remember what he said when some of the knowledgeable members raised the question of why the AMA bought the IMS show right after raising dues and before telling the membership they intended to make that investment?

Wasn't it something about the show making the AMA money and saving future dues increases? Has anyone noticed the 'return' on the investment?

How much was the last dues increase?
Old 07-09-2004, 11:35 PM
littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: Jim Branaum

What is your problem the last couple of days? Don't get yourself all wound up in a personal attack, I speak my opinions and I try not to throw as much horse manure around as others do.

Sorry guys but...

Jim

What personal attack are you talking about?

I may have made a humorous (?) observation or two in the last couple of days and in no way I have I intended to harm you or anyone else for that matter... Maybe you take things/yourself just a little too seriously sometimes. I fully believe in your right to your opinions...whether right or wrong ...oops couldn't help it.

Look the only time I get "wound up" is when a respondent appears to full of themselves and precludes all others and their perspectives. If anyone has been “wound up” and made attacks it has been you. This thread is much proof of that fact.