Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

We will vote for Dave Mathewson

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

We will vote for Dave Mathewson

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 08:31 PM
Jim Messer
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default We will vote for Dave Mathewson

Hi Dave:

It takes a lot of courage to go on a forum such as this, and I admire you for that. I just hope it doesn't get out of hand, as there are some on here that just can't seem to accept the AMA for what it is, and for what it has accomplished for all the various type of modelers over the years.

So, here's some fatherly advice from a friend, and an AMA member of 63 consecutive years (since 1941): I once was hired to head up the engineering department of a large company that designed and manufactured large two-cycle engine/compressors (up to 20,000 HP), and reported directly to the President of the company: Here's what he told me: "You are hired to head up the engineering department, and it is your responsibility to make the decisions relating to design, manufacture, and the correction of field problems when they arise. You must decide whether the problem is a design error, in which case the fix will be charged back to engineering - or whether it was caused by customer misuse of the product. In the case of customer misuse, you must get the problem corrected at their expense, but not in a way that they wouldn't buy from us again. Your decisions will have considerable impact on the P/L statement of the company, both now and in the future."

He went on to say - "I will back you 100% of the time regarding your decisions, right or wrong. Just try not to be wrong too often."

Dave - since I already know you, and I know that the decisions you make will be good for both me and the AMA, puts you in a similar situation to the above. In this case, I am the "boss" - YOU , if elected, will be the "head of the engineering department". Your decisions will have considerable impact on present and future AMA P/L statements. Unpopular decisions, when they arise, (like my field problems) should be done in such a way that the membership will (though unpopular) still find them acceptable, knowing that it's best for AMA as a whole.

I know that we here in the Highlands R/C Club located in Sebring FL will be voting for you in mass, and we will back you 100% of the time - right or wrong, and just like the man said, "try not to be wrong too often". We all know that nobody's perfect.

Fellow modelers - join with me on Dave's bandwagon, and do what you can to get out the votes that Dave needs to win.

-
Old 08-02-2004, 09:35 PM
Dave Mathewson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: We will vote for Dave Mathewson

Hi Jim,
Great story! Your comparison of the AMA President and the head of the engineering department is a good parallel. You're right. sometimes unpopular decisions will be made. It happens now as a District Vice President. But I've always found that if you at least make an attempt to explain why you had to do what you did, most reasonable members will accept that. They still may not like it, but they accept it.
Dave
Old 08-09-2004, 04:23 PM
rockmon

Dave your last two sentences in post #2 of this thread pretty much tells me what I needed to hear and the only thing better would be to let us know why you are going to do something before it is done. I will do my level best to get the rest of the guy's in my club to get on the Dave Mathewson band wagon. Best of luck!
Old 08-10-2004, 09:20 PM
JimRoss

I have come to the conclusion that no matter who is elected president of this organization, he will not be able to please everybody. Not even Jesus could, so what hope does a mere mortal have?

I have been in industry for over 30 years in some capacity or another and have been in positions of great authority. NONE of it was easy and it took work to make it work. When problems arose I had to make decisions and justify them to my superiors and face the consequences of those decisions. The people who agreed with me were easy. The ones who disagreed were another matter. As the person in charge I had to try to convince them of the benefits of my decisions and persuade them to see things my way and to cooperate with my philosophy. When that didn't happen I had to sometimes assume the position of "Boss" and say "That's the way it is, now that I have heard your objections and disagreements, I stand firm in my decision".

Some times the toughest thing in the world can be standing your ground. Just make sure your motives are honest and above reproach and you are doing what is best for the largest number of people.
This can only be accomplished by hearing what the largest number of people have to say on a subject.

My main objection to any elected body of people is their assumption that they already know what the people whom they represent are thinking and want.

I know, I know, many people have said that the majority of the members in the AMA don't want to get involved in politics, Well, I don't believe that. Every person I have talked to, except our 12 year old female member, had an opinion on something that was going on in the AMA. Frustration is what is keeping people from speaking up and voicing their opinions. When you are ignored for a long enough period of time you stop being concerned.

If you want to see an upswing in turnout start asking individuals what they think on a subject, and be specific. You will be amazed at the responses. Now there will have to be a certain amount of BS filters applied to these response but read between the lines and you might be surprised at what you find.
Old 09-15-2004, 09:54 PM
Bump Post
Banned

UP
Old 09-16-2004, 07:35 AM
SDR-Hammer

Dave, for the many years I’ve been in this sport and an AMA member I have never met an AMA official including my very own district president, you can tell by my location under my RCU name who that currently is.

With you coming on RCU and interacting with the membership this is about as close as I have come to hearing official AMA Q & A.

Since Marc extended the same invitation to the other candidates for their own forum as well, for whatever reason they declined you get my vote for your attempt to interact with simple folk like me.

Sorry for the long sentences and other grammar errors, running short on time to edit.
Old 09-16-2004, 08:36 AM
Dave Mathewson

ORIGINAL: SDR-Hammer

Dave, for the many years I’ve been in this sport and an AMA member I have never met an AMA official including my very own district president, you can tell by my location under my RCU name who that currently is.

With you coming on RCU and interacting with the membership this is about as close as I have come to hearing official AMA Q & A.

Since Marc extended the same invitation to the other candidates for their own forum as well, for whatever reason they declined you get my vote for your attempt to interact with simple folk like me.

Sorry for the long sentences and other grammar errors, running short on time to edit.
Hi Hammer,
Thank you............................................... ........
Dave
Old 09-18-2004, 08:12 PM
Ray 67
My Feedback: (1)

Dave,

I would like to hear where you stand on inserting religion into the AMA magazine and constitution. I have been an AMA member since early in the 60's, with breaks for life changes.

I am deeply offended that we have even considered having an AMA chaplain. I joined an organization for furthering model aircraft and the flying of same. I don't want any particular religious group to be represented by my model flying organization. If I want religious information I will consult with someone in a religion of my choice.

Thanks,

Ray Ackenhausen AMA 22017
Old 09-19-2004, 11:11 AM
Dave Mathewson

ORIGINAL: Ray 67

Dave,

I would like to hear where you stand on inserting religion into the AMA magazine and constitution. I have been an AMA member since early in the 60's, with breaks for life changes.

I am deeply offended that we have even considered having an AMA chaplain. I joined an organization for furthering model aircraft and the flying of same. I don't want any particular religious group to be represented by my model flying organization. If I want religious information I will consult with someone in a religion of my choice.

Thanks,

Ray Ackenhausen AMA 22017
Hi Ray,
The issue was raised at the April 203 EC Meeting. Here's the reference to it from the minutes of that meeting:

"The President received a proposal to establish the position of AMA Chaplain, from a gentleman involved with the Fellowship of Christian Modelers. There have been instances where this position could be effective. This position could be utilized in memorial situations, opening ceremonies for various events, etc. This would be for the AMA site only, and is not a traveling position.

MOTION II: Moved by C. Bauer (VI), seconded by D. Holland (EVP), that AMA establish the voluntary position of AMA Chaplain. This position is appointed by the AMA President.
MOTION passed unanimously."

I voted in favor of the motion, along with everybody else. My understanding is that this would be a non-denominational position, and the individual would have to be invited to participate at events in whatever capacity the event organizer asked. I had no problem in voting for the concept as described above back then, and I'm still comfortable with my vote. This is a volunteer position, AMA does not subsidize the position, and the individual will only participate in an event, on the National Flying Site, when specifically asked. I don't believe that this equates to AMA endorsing or "representing" any particular religious group.

On the other hand, I do not support the concept of a column in Model Aviation dedicated to this. Interestingly, I was asked this same question by the President of the Fellowship of Christian Modelers. I gave him the same answer and he agreed with my position regarding a column in the magazine.
Dave
Old 09-19-2004, 04:30 PM
Ray 67
My Feedback: (1)

Dave,

Thank you for your response. I hope this means that this will be the end of any issue about a religious column in the AMA magazine.

Ray Ackenhausen
Old 09-23-2004, 10:29 AM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Dave,

It was nice seeing you at the NEAT Fair last weekend. Although the weather couldn't have been worse, it showed us just how committed you are to electric flight!

Regards.
Old 09-23-2004, 06:43 PM
Dave Mathewson

ORIGINAL: Greg Covey

Hi Dave,

It was nice seeing you at the NEAT Fair last weekend. Although the weather couldn't have been worse, it showed us just how committed you are to electric flight!

Regards.
Hi Greg,
It was good to see you, too. I guess it's a good thing I came down on Friday this year. I've never missed a NEAT Fair and since we couldn't get within 10 miles of the place (stuck at Walton) on Saturday, that would have been a first.

When KRC was in PA my son and I used to fly down and camp at the airport where the meet was held for the weekend. Ginger's not much into camping (in a tent anyhow) so I haven't camped at NEAT. BTW, she's going to call Tom and tell him she'd like a WiFi Hot Spot installed before next year................. or at least cell service.
Dave
Old 10-02-2004, 09:46 AM
The PIPE

Default CLIFF PIPER got ME voting for you...

Dear Dave Mathewson:

Dave "the PIPE" here again...and, along with my vote for ANDY ARGENIO for AMA's NEW District I VP, YOU got MY vote thanks to CLIFF PIPER's recommendation at your campaign website...and Cliff Piper WAS the last "really WORTHY person" to be an AMA District I VP up here in New England!

My vote went in on Friday of this week TO THE ADDRESS RIGHT ON THE CARD...it was NOT sent to AMA HQ, which IS a mistake SOME of us COULD make...but that makes the marked ballot "useless", so to my fellow District I aeromodelers (as well as EVERYONE ELSE in the AMA), make sure that ballot gets sent TO THE ADDRESS ON THE CARD...and NOT TO AMA HQ...so it CAN count!

Really hoping to have NEW people here in District I AND nationally...for change, for the BETTER, in the AMA this election season!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE!
Old 10-02-2004, 05:49 PM
dave jones

Default RE: CLIFF PIPER got ME voting for you...

Guys
I just received my 2004 AMA Election Ballot in the mail and I have cast my vote for Mr. Dave Mathewson for AMA President.
If you are currently involved with or are interested in Autonomous and or video video enhanced flight or just feel that the advancements of technology in model aviation should not be stifled then please cast your vote for Mr. Mathewson, he has promised to work with us to get the AMA safety code changed to allow for the advancements of technology in model aviation.
We all know where we now stand with Mr. Brown so the only way that we will ever get the AMA safety code changed is to start by changing the AMA's administration so please cast your vote for Mr. Mathewson for AMA President.
This is your voice and is the only way that you have of speaking out and letting the AMA know how you feel.
Thanks
Dave Jones
AUAV
Old 10-02-2004, 06:14 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Yes, It's time to recharge the AMA!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89643.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	178890  
Old 10-04-2004, 05:58 PM
Dave Mathewson

ORIGINAL: The PIPE

Dear Dave Mathewson:

Dave "the PIPE" here again...and, along with my vote for ANDY ARGENIO for AMA's NEW District I VP, YOU got MY vote thanks to CLIFF PIPER's recommendation at your campaign website...and Cliff Piper WAS the last "really WORTHY person" to be an AMA District I VP up here in New England!

My vote went in on Friday of this week TO THE ADDRESS RIGHT ON THE CARD...it was NOT sent to AMA HQ, which IS a mistake SOME of us COULD make...but that makes the marked ballot "useless", so to my fellow District I aeromodelers (as well as EVERYONE ELSE in the AMA), make sure that ballot gets sent TO THE ADDRESS ON THE CARD...and NOT TO AMA HQ...so it CAN count!

Really hoping to have NEW people here in District I AND nationally...for change, for the BETTER, in the AMA this election season!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE!
Hi Pipe,
Thanks for your vote and support! Cliff Piper is a modeling icon and it means a lot to me that I have his endorsement.
Dave
Old 10-05-2004, 11:29 AM
Scale Speed

Hi Everyone:

I have had the privledge of working with Dave Mathewson for over 4 years and have seen him in action at Executive Council Meetings. Dave is intelligent and has a good working knowledge of the inner workings of AMA. Plus, he doesn't want to be a Ted Kennedy and remain in office for life. Dave has been one of the best District V.P.'s I know, and I have known quite a few, and will make an excellent President. He has always been responsive to AMA Members needs. I voted for him, how about you?

Gary Fitch
Old 10-06-2004, 09:29 AM
pda4you

Well Dave - I just cast my vote for you! I hope many others do as well. Thanks for the time you have spent with our questions!

Mike
Old 10-06-2004, 02:32 PM
BillHarris

I've not met Dave Mathewson, but I've enjoyed reading his column in MA and I've seen numerous complimentary comments online and I've been impressed with his participation in the forum.

My ballot went out yesterday.

--Bill Harris
AMA 607983 and proud of it.
District 5 and embarrassed. Let's change that!

Tony Stillman for D-5 VP
Dave Mathewson for AMA President

"Dave Brown, step down"
Old 10-06-2004, 03:06 PM
Jim Messer
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My vote for Dave Mathewson is on its way. Also, Tony Stillman for VP of District V. I have also E-mailed everyone in our club, and suggested they vote for Dave and Tony. At the last club meeting I took time to campaign for them. Another meeting coming this Saturday, and will once again renew my effort to get all votes possible.

Hurricane Jeanne did a lot of damage to our buildings at the field. Small pump house buildings are 100% gone - where is anybody's guess. All seven pilot cages completely destroyed.

To:Scale Speed (Gary): Welcome aboard RCU. I spend a lot of time here, both passing out information and absorbing informatiion from others. It's a two way street, and everybody wins.
Old 11-04-2004, 12:08 PM
dave jones

Guys
The AMA election is coming down to the wire and we need to keep the momentum going if you would like to continue your work with UAVs and video enhanced flight then you need to get your vote in for Mr. Dave Mathewson if you have not cast your vote for the office of AMA president then please do it now.
Please pass this on to all of your modeling friends and your club members regardless if they are involved in autonomous or video enhanced flight or not, they make up the vast majority of our membership please ask them to visit Mr.Mathewson web site at www.mathewson4pres.com. and if they do not have a a computer then please ask them to vote for him in this very important election. Ask them to past this on to all of there modeling friends. It's very important that we reach as many members who have not yet exercised their right to vote. It's very important to point out in your email that the ballots need to be postmarked by no later then next Friday, November 12, 2004 and will only count if they're mailed to the address on the front of the ballot no postage required. You do not have to renew your AMA member to vote in this 2004 election. Please get those ballets in the Mail now. One last thing if we have to 4 more years of Dave Brown you could very well see your work with autonomous and video enhanced flight come to a screeching halt, even if you are not flying at an AMA site so please get those ballets in and vote for Dave Mathewson.
Dave Jones