Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Hello

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 09:10 PM
Dave Mathewson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello

I had intended this to be the first post in this section but……

I want to thank Marc and RC Universe for the opportunity to exchange ideas with you in this forum. The ability to communicate with its members is vital to the well being of an organization like ours. Technology has brought us to the point where we now have the capability to exchange information in almost real time. Yet, with this technology come some shortcomings that we’re all well aware of. There will be those, some skeptics, that will be keeping a close watch on how things go here. We have an opportunity to prove the usefulness of this medium. At the end of this election process, win or lose, I’d like to conclude knowing that we made this work and may have set the standard for future elections.

I also need to point out that the thoughts and opinions I post here are mine. I’m not speaking for any other candidate, member of the EC, or AMA. I’m sure we all won’t agree on all the issues but I’ll answer your questions to the best of my ability and try to explain my reasoning as best I can to at least help you understand my position.
Dave Mathewson
Old 08-02-2004, 09:39 PM
Silver182
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Hello

Hi DaveM,
1. I would like to know your what your thoughts are about our (AMA's) yearly membership dues, to high to low or OK?
2. What are your thoughts about the AMA self insuring?
3. If you were President what would you do differently compared to what Dave has done? You choose the issues.
Lee H. DeMary
AMA 36099
Old 08-02-2004, 09:40 PM
Frankenthumb

Dave,

You'll undoubtedly find that the folks that frequent this site, and particularly this section, are very informed and interested in the direction of AMA policies, particularly as they pertain to their perceived effect on their everyday enjoyment of our hobby.

It looks like you have quite a few supporters here, and I definitely like what I hear so far. I hope that Mr. Brown realizes how valuable this audience is and how much our vote will count in the coming decision. It would be great for the hobby to see a real, meaningful debate between two candidates that are passionate about what we do and have differing viewpoints one several areas of the hobby that a great many of us find important.

Good luck in your campaign!
Old 08-03-2004, 10:04 AM
Dave Mathewson

Hi Lee,
I guess my thoughts on the dues are that, right now, they need to be where they are. I can tell you that every member of the EC was uncomfortable with the last dues increase. It was a tough decision for all of us. In explaining to the members in my district why I voted in favor of the increase I broke it down. Approximately half or $5 of the increase went to simply cover the increased costs of doing business since the last dues increase in 1996. That worked out to about .85 cents per year or a 1.5% per year increase. In that same period some of our largest expenses skyrocketed. Postage, for example went up 34%. Worker's Comp rates rose 50%, etc. Another $2.25 or $2.50 went to cover the increase in the cost of our member/clubs liability insurance policy that rose 50+% after 9/11. The remaining $2.50 or so was meant to carry us into the future. Frankly most of that was eaten up in the additional cost of our liability policy from 2002 to now. The same coverage that cost us less than $250,000 in 2001 costs us nearly a million today. But, I can tell you we are in a good financial position and I feel much better about voting in favor of the increase today than I did back then. Those on the Council that argued in favor of the increase were right.

On the topic of self-insuring, if you're talking about the SIR we generally look at that during quote time and decide if varying the SIR is advantageous to us compared to the change in premium. If you're talking about a total self-insurance that's something different and I can speak to that if you'd like.

I think the number one area I would like to see us more involved in is the marketing and promotion of model aviation. I think a successful campaign in this area will accomplish several things including giving us a better ability to acquire flying sites, putting us a stronger position when dealing with everyone from local political officials to government agencies, and grow our membership. We can look at any method of creating non-dues revenue that you'd like, but it seems to me the way to keep dues in check is by increasing our income by increasing our membership.
Dave Mathewson
Old 08-03-2004, 10:32 AM
BillHarris

Cost increases are a fact of life nowadays. If the increase is justified, so be it. But when we have a dues increase and an AMA VP starts talking about having his "snaps of peachy planes" done in full color, I draw the line.

Great to see you on board, Dave.

--Bill Harris

AMA 607983 and proud of it.
District 5 and embarrassed. Let's change that!

Vote Stillman for D-5 VP.

"Dave Brown, step down"
Old 08-06-2004, 06:11 AM
Silver182

ORIGINAL: Dave Mathewson

Hi Lee,
I guess my thoughts on the dues are that, right now, they need to be where they are. I can tell you that every member of the EC was uncomfortable with the last dues increase. It was a tough decision for all of us. In explaining to the members in my district why I voted in favor of the increase I broke it down. Approximately half or $5 of the increase went to simply cover the increased costs of doing business since the last dues increase in 1996. That worked out to about .85 cents per year or a 1.5% per year increase. In that same period some of our largest expenses skyrocketed. Postage, for example went up 34%. Worker's Comp rates rose 50%, etc. Another $2.25 or $2.50 went to cover the increase in the cost of our member/clubs liability insurance policy that rose 50+% after 9/11. The remaining $2.50 or so was meant to carry us into the future. Frankly most of that was eaten up in the additional cost of our liability policy from 2002 to now. The same coverage that cost us less than $250,000 in 2001 costs us nearly a million today. But, I can tell you we are in a good financial position and I feel much better about voting in favor of the increase today than I did back then. Those on the Council that argued in favor of the increase were right.

On the topic of self-insuring, if you're talking about the SIR we generally look at that during quote time and decide if varying the SIR is advantageous to us compared to the change in premium. If you're talking about a total self-insurance that's something different and I can speak to that if you'd like.

I think the number one area I would like to see us more involved in is the marketing and promotion of model aviation. I think a successful campaign in this area will accomplish several things including giving us a better ability to acquire flying sites, putting us a stronger position when dealing with everyone from local political officials to government agencies, and grow our membership. We can look at any method of creating non-dues revenue that you'd like, but it seems to me the way to keep dues in check is by increasing our income by increasing our membership.
Dave Mathewson
Hello Dave,
Thanks for your answers and insights ----- I would like your thought's about Total Self-Insurance.
Lee
Old 08-06-2004, 06:41 PM
Dave Mathewson

Hi Lee,
I don't think AMA wants to be in the insurance business. We have, though, found ourselves backed into a corner a couple times over the last several years that makes me think we need to develop a plan we could activate in the event we can't get a policy written. This happened in 1986 when we couldn't find a company to write us and almost happened again 2 years ago (for the 4/03-3/04 FY) when we went down to about 2 or 3 days before policy expiration before we even had a quote to consider. I can tell you that puts knots in your stomach and I don't look forward to ever going through that again. AMA discussed the creation of a captive a couple years ago. Right around the time we were having this problem. There are several concerns that I have with the captive principle. But all of those concerns are overshadowed by the possibility that some year we may not be able to get a policy. A large percentage of our clubs rely on their AMA Certificate of Insurance to provide proof of coverage to their landowners. Any type of program like this would be of little value in the short term. Or at least we don't have the wherewithal to fund it to the point where it would be of value in the short term. But a program put into place now, and developed, could bail out AMA 10 or so years down the road if needed, long after I'm gone. The concept is a little more complicated than I'm explaining it here because AMA is not in the insurance business and not licensed to sell insurance. If we did have a plan in place like this we could go to the insurance company with this plan and the ability to assume part of the risk. To be activated only if there were no other alternatives.... It could save us someday.
Dave