Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA e-mail list/ volunteers

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA e-mail list/ volunteers

Old 08-03-2004, 04:59 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AMA e-mail list/ volunteers

The AMA has been reluctant to have an e-mail forum. The argument is that it is too hard to maintain and would impact the already overloaded Muncie Staff.

Other modeling e-mail forums are maintained by volunteers, as are the District E-mail forums. It would seem that it would be of great benefit to the AMA to have a forum for ALL the AMA. It would be the responsibility of the subscribers to keep their information up to date, to make changes when they change their e-mail address. As for moderators, one appointed by the District VP for each district should cover it nicely.

With the rapidly gowning ability to telecommute as it were. It would seem that Muncie could make a lot better use of the talents available in the membership base. Case in point is the Membership Verification program that Bill Lee (District VIII) developed as a volunteer.

The AMA Membership Manual is another area that could be turned over to a volunteer group to do the much needed rewrite - including the AMA By-Laws.

So to brief the questions:

1. What would your position be regarding an open to members only AMA e-mail forum maintained by volunteers?

2. What is your position on the broader use of volunteers that can offer new ideas or take some of the load off the Muncie staff.
Old 08-04-2004, 02:23 PM
Dave Mathewson

Default RE: AMA e-mail list/ volunteers

ORIGINAL: Red Scholefield

The AMA has been reluctant to have an e-mail forum. The argument is that it is too hard to maintain and would impact the already overloaded Muncie Staff.

Other modeling e-mail forums are maintained by volunteers, as are the District E-mail forums. It would seem that it would be of great benefit to the AMA to have a forum for ALL the AMA. It would be the responsibility of the subscribers to keep their information up to date, to make changes when they change their e-mail address. As for moderators, one appointed by the District VP for each district should cover it nicely.

With the rapidly gowning ability to telecommute as it were. It would seem that Muncie could make a lot better use of the talents available in the membership base. Case in point is the Membership Verification program that Bill Lee (District VIII) developed as a volunteer.

The AMA Membership Manual is another area that could be turned over to a volunteer group to do the much needed rewrite - including the AMA By-Laws.

So to brief the questions:

1. What would your position be regarding an open to members only AMA e-mail forum maintained by volunteers?

2. What is your position on the broader use of volunteers that can offer new ideas or take some of the load off the Muncie staff.
Hi Red,
As you know in my district we have both a district email list and a forum. So I think they can be of value. We also know that most forums like the one your suggesting have some shortcomings. Frankly, I doubt right now that there would be anywhere near enough support for the concept from the EC. I'm hoping that what I'm doing here goes well. If this turns out to be a good experience (and not meaning if I win or lose) it may help change the stigma that many of these types of forums have. In looking at some of the other organizations like AMA that I belong to, some have forums, some don't. I'm not sure how the others moderate theirs but if there ever is a discussion forum on the AMA Website I don't know why district volunteers appointed by the respective VP wouldn't work. There are a lot of tings I'd like to see us doing to take advantage of "Internet technology". Some of it we're already working on.

Taking advantage of member volunteers, in some areas, could certainly be an advantage to AMA. It might even be a way for more members to "connect" with the organization. I don't know that it would be appropriate for all instances. We do have some committees where the makeup of the committee includes some "regular members". The Flying Site Assistance Grant Committee is one and i think that's working quite well.
Dave
Old 08-09-2004, 09:58 AM
Hal deBolt

Default RE: AMA e-mail list/ volunteers

Hi Red,
See that you are at it again, good show!
Seems Dave answered your question, his district already has a forum and eperience.
Somehing for District V to consider?
Otherwise now you need to find a way to get headuarters attention. Hope you have better luck
than I have had!
Keep up the good effort, see you later?

Hal [email protected]