Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Leader Members?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Leader Members?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 07:37 PM
RCJake-rcu
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leader Members?

Hi Dave!

I have been an AMA member since 1976 and a Contest Director & Leader Member since 1983. I have been the CD for many events over the years and enjoy giving back to the sport I have enjoyed so much.

In all of the years as a Leader Member, I have been called upon only one time for my input on an issue. Do you have any plans to utilize the Leader Members if you are elected? If so, in what way?

BTW, thanks for using this forum to answer questions and state your views.

Smooth Landings,
Jake
Old 08-04-2004, 02:59 PM
Dave Mathewson

Default RE: Leader Members?

ORIGINAL: rcjake-RCU

Hi Dave!

I have been an AMA member since 1976 and a Contest Director & Leader Member since 1983. I have been the CD for many events over the years and enjoy giving back to the sport I have enjoyed so much.

In all of the years as a Leader Member, I have been called upon only one time for my input on an issue. Do you have any plans to utilize the Leader Members if you are elected? If so, in what way?

BTW, thanks for using this forum to answer questions and state your views.

Smooth Landings,
Jake
Hi Jake,
I think the majority of the Council thinks we should take better advantage of our Leader Members. Rich Hanson (going from memory) is chairing an ad hoc committee to look into this exact issue.

If you have a second take a look at the draft minutes from the last EC meeting posted on the AMA Website. Bob Underwood chaired an ad hoc committee to review the Safety Code to see if it could be made less ambiguous, easier to understand, and possibly shortened. I was a member of the committee along with Bob and Ron Morgan. You'll see in the minutes that the Council decided to send the work of the committee out, in an email push, to the Leader Members for review and comment. If your email address is on file with us you should be getting something soon. This is just one of the ways we could make better use of our LM's.

In 2001, you may recall, we had a problem with a flying site here in District 2 (my district). We sent a letter to all AMA LM's asking for help in a letter writing campaign. It was a fairly expensive project because we didn't have push email capability back then and had to use the USPS to get the word out. Today the cost issue is pretty much a non-issue because we can interact with our LM's through email. Technology has made it simple to ask for input on issues from our Leader Members. We should take advantage of it.
Dave
Old 08-07-2004, 06:33 PM
RCJake-rcu
My Feedback: (7)

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your reply and good luck with the election.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:20 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Dave,

My story is similar to Jake's. I am originally from Dist 2, and I now live in Ohio. In the many years with CD and LM status, I believe I had only been contacted once or twice with regards to issues. I for one would be willing to participate should there be a desire to utilize leader members more frequently.

Bob Brassell
ama 1922
Old 08-09-2004, 03:40 PM
Jim Messer
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave:

Count me in for leader member advisory. I have had leader member status for at least 40 years, but can only remember once or twice being contacted to fill out forms and express an opinion in the long length of time. I have a pretty good feel of what's happening in the area of R/C sport flying, electrics, and giant scale. I don't fly FF or UC anymore at all, so cannot help in those areas. But - willing to help out where I can.
Old 08-10-2004, 06:30 PM
Dave Mathewson

Hi Bob, Jim,
I think most Leader Member's are willing to pitch in if asked. I also think most on the EC are looking to find a way to bring our LM's into the discussion loop. Communicating electronically reduces the cost factor to almost nothing. The time required to gather input is, in some cases, instantaneous. Certainly no longer than a few days.

Here's a question for you guys. Another VP raised this issue and I think he has a valid point. Many of our LM's are getting older and not really involved in the hobby anymore. They keep their membership and LM status to continue to support the organization or for sentimental reasons. Because of this some are detached from day to day modeling activities and concerns. How can we be sure that when we ask for input, we're getting informed responses? How much does it matter? What's the solution?

OK, Bob on a tangent. I see you're connected with Jett Engineering. When you get a second go to the District 2 Website at http://www.amadistrictii.org. In the lower right hand corner is a pic of a Red Jett .40. This has to be one of the very first Red Jett's out the door. I'd guess there'd be records somewhere with my name and purchase date. I used this to compete in a Sport Quickie class that was being dominated by Rossi. This engine absolutely blew the doors off anything else on the course. I also have a couple of Del Ponti RevLutions with Black Jetts RTF. They've sat for a couple years and I'm guessing the airframe is obsolete by now. Which is no big deal cause the plane is faster than my thumbs anyhow.

I would have posted the picture here but I'll need to read up on that.
Dave
Old 08-10-2004, 07:59 PM
Jim Messer
My Feedback: (2)

Leader members are getting older: True, and something that must be considered. For me, I am still very active in the local club. I fly about three days/week, I am a club officer, and I help to mow our beautiful field two days/week. I design and build giant scale models, and am just getting into high performance electrics.

So what's the solution. In my club of about 85 members, I think there is only two other leader members, and I doubt if either of them would be interested in volunteering their services. I believe that because they have reached the age where all they want to do is fly - in a way - they have already paid their dues. So, it looks to me like the AMA would have to poll the listing of leader members and ask two questions: 1. Are you currently active in the hobby? 2. Would you be willing to serve on an advisory committee if one were formed?

A "NO" answer to either question would eliminate that person right off the bat.

Taking those that answered "YES" to both questions, then would need to be broken down into their areas of expertice. For example - I am 29 years into giant scale, so I can help in that area, but I don't pylon race anymore, or compete in any way - so don't ask me what I think about changing the pylon racing rules. On the other hand, there are others that are active pylon racers, and they can help in that area - but in all probability they don't build giant scale airplanes, so their thoughts in this area should not have merit. Got the picture?

Anyway that prompts a question I have: How many leader members are there?
Old 08-10-2004, 08:49 PM
JimRoss

I have applied for LM status with the blessing of my Dist. VP, Dr. Sandy Frank. I am 58 years old and only been a member of my club for two years. I have been in RC modeling for over 25 years and I think I am fairly good at building and flying. When my memory works I work at the field whenever there is something to be done, I am an instructor and have taught several young pilots to fly. I am trying presently to persuade more people to get off their duffs and vote their conscience in the upcoming elections and to get involved in the workings of the AMA and their club.
Now, what else do I need to do?

JimRoss
AMA 778628
Old 08-10-2004, 10:49 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dave Mathewson

Hi Bob, Jim,
I think most Leader Member's are willing to pitch in if asked. I also think most on the EC are looking to find a way to bring our LM's into the discussion loop. Communicating electronically reduces the cost factor to almost nothing. The time required to gather input is, in some cases, instantaneous. Certainly no longer than a few days.
Dave, the problem here is that many people don't work the 9-4 and sit home all the time. Only just this year did I start taking a laptop with my travels and sometimes I go for a week without using it. Many people travel a lot and the expectation of instant replies is just more ammunition that the leaders are NOT responding when the truth is they never had a chance.
There is not one thing in AMA where Leader input may be desired that can't go on hold for at least 30 days. Look at how many YEARS the EC has dragged its bottom with the Bylaws changes.

Here's a question for you guys. Another VP raised this issue and I think he has a valid point. Many of our LM's are getting older and not really involved in the hobby anymore. They keep their membership and LM status to continue to support the organization or for sentimental reasons. Because of this some are detached from day to day modeling activities and concerns. How can we be sure that when we ask for input, we're getting informed responses? How much does it matter? What's the solution?
How many very good consultants are hired -- not for their currency -- but their vast background experience? Just because I don't lay eggs is no reason that I can't pass fair judgment on an omelet. The overall input will speak for itself. In rider scale or RC, I find/found that the best stick-jockeys never are very good instructors. Top competition modelers are seldom aware of anything in the sport outside their center of focused attention. If you want good input, get it from a very large area of return, not just those that agree with you. You will know who has the savvy.
This leads me to see another Lowe / Underwood Purge of the Leader Member ranks. When I received that letter back somewhere around '90+/-, Underwood was T-D and Lowe Pres. (Too late/lazy to look it up) Underwood started about the old thing of making CDs Leaders. He and Lowe couldn't figure out why. I told him to pick up a rule Book, gave him the page # and right there was the statement of such authority, right in the EC portion of the Contest Director section. I hope that the EC is not now looking for another *reason* to purge the ranks.

OK, Bob on a tangent. I see you're connected with Jett Engineering.
//SNIP//
Dave
Old 08-11-2004, 02:36 PM
Dave Mathewson

ORIGINAL: Jim Messer

Leader members are getting older: True, and something that must be considered. For me, I am still very active in the local club. I fly about three days/week, I am a club officer, and I help to mow our beautiful field two days/week. I design and build giant scale models, and am just getting into high performance electrics.

So what's the solution. In my club of about 85 members, I think there is only two other leader members, and I doubt if either of them would be interested in volunteering their services. I believe that because they have reached the age where all they want to do is fly - in a way - they have already paid their dues. So, it looks to me like the AMA would have to poll the listing of leader members and ask two questions: 1. Are you currently active in the hobby? 2. Would you be willing to serve on an advisory committee if one were formed?

A "NO" answer to either question would eliminate that person right off the bat.

Taking those that answered "YES" to both questions, then would need to be broken down into their areas of expertice. For example - I am 29 years into giant scale, so I can help in that area, but I don't pylon race anymore, or compete in any way - so don't ask me what I think about changing the pylon racing rules. On the other hand, there are others that are active pylon racers, and they can help in that area - but in all probability they don't build giant scale airplanes, so their thoughts in this area should not have merit. Got the picture?

Anyway that prompts a question I have: How many leader members are there?
Hi Jim,
Thinking about it the initial list would probably be pretty much self purging. Those that didn't want to participate would either indicate that or simply not reply. There are about 3125-3150 Leader Members.
Dave
Old 08-11-2004, 02:57 PM
Dave Mathewson

ORIGINAL: JimRoss

I have applied for LM status with the blessing of my Dist. VP, Dr. Sandy Frank. I am 58 years old and only been a member of my club for two years. I have been in RC modeling for over 25 years and I think I am fairly good at building and flying. When my memory works I work at the field whenever there is something to be done, I am an instructor and have taught several young pilots to fly. I am trying presently to persuade more people to get off their duffs and vote their conscience in the upcoming elections and to get involved in the workings of the AMA and their club.
Now, what else do I need to do?

JimRoss
AMA 778628
Hi Jim,
It's good to see someone taking an interest. I think more would become Leader Members if they felt there was a purpose to it. Interestingly, I just took a look at our Standing Rules to review how a Leader Member is defined. There really isn't a whole lot there. Since you thought it important enough to take the time to apply for LM status, if you had to create a definition, and list the functions of a LM, what would be the top items on your list?
Dave
Old 08-11-2004, 03:23 PM
Dave Mathewson

Hi Horrace,
No argument from me for the vast majority of situations. The point I was going after was that unlike several years ago technology has made it possible to cost effectively, and in a timely manner, communicate with our LM's.

The question about the rising age of our LM's and the fact that many aren't involved with model aviation anymore was simply food for thought. The question was really one of can someone really speak to a specific issue if they have disassociated themselves from the hobby? If it were a question that could take advantage of the LM's background and modeling knowledge then the he/she could probably provide valuable input. On the other hand, I can think of some situations where I'd want to make sure those providing input were active modelers.

I don't think anybody has any intention of purging the LM ranks. This was simply an observation someone made during a discussion about our Leader Member program.
Dave
Old 08-11-2004, 06:00 PM
JimRoss

Dave,
I sent you a pm.

JimRoss
Old 08-15-2004, 11:53 AM
Hal deBolt

Hi ya'll,
This action brings out the way AMA is run, controlled? Nationally congress dictates what can
or does happen? That is a bunch of people with a wide cross section of knowledge.
Apparently AMA is controlled by the president and Executive Council just a few people who
can easily develope a "city hall" complex.
One can expect that such will do OK with run of the mill needs but it would seem that with anything of major consequence the EC needs an input from the membership. How to get that
at present appears not to have been established. The VPs are supposed to be aware of their
members desires, but again no established mehod of doing that.and there is the required effort.
Leader members are experienced modelers who are usually close to their fellow members and
can easily have a good idea of reaction. They seem an excellent source for input.
Would seem establishing an official policy of consulting the leaders should have priority?
What think?

Hal deBolt
Old 08-17-2004, 07:13 AM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Hi Jim,
It's good to see someone taking an interest. I think more would become Leader Members if they felt there was a purpose to it.
yup ...as well as knowing HOW to become a LM. You need something like 3 other LM's to vouch for you, right ? ... heck, most people (myself included) don't even know who the LM's are, so how can they find 3 to vouch for them ? The method by which LMs are accepted has given some people the impression that it's cronyism at work.

Gordon
Old 08-17-2004, 08:03 AM
JimRoss

one does not need three LM's to vouch for him. As pointed out to me by Dr. Frank, Dist VIII V.P., three adult members of the club can vouch and sign for a LM applicant. This is allowed by AMA. The Dist. V.P. may also, at his discretion,
waive the three year membership requirement in the club. If it appears that cronyism is being practiced by LM's then their motives are suspect, IMHO. I applied for LM status for the betterment of my club and organization, not for myself. I have no agenda other than trying to make things better by offering my opinions, which may or may not be relevant.

ORIGINAL: Gordon Mc

Hi Jim,
It's good to see someone taking an interest. I think more would become Leader Members if they felt there was a purpose to it.
yup ...as well as knowing HOW to become a LM. You need something like 3 other LM's to vouch for you, right ? ... heck, most people (myself included) don't even know who the LM's are, so how can they find 3 to vouch for them ? The method by which LMs are accepted has given some people the impression that it's cronyism at work.

Gordon
Old 08-17-2004, 10:18 AM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

one does not need three LM's to vouch for him. As pointed out to me by Dr. Frank, Dist VIII V.P., three adult members of the club can vouch and sign for a LM applicant.
Unless I and others have read it wrong, according to the application form on the AMA website, that is not the case. You need 3 LM's, unless you can get your VP or AVP to sign off on you - not just any 3 adult members. See AMA doc 907. Since the majority of AMA members in my district have never met their DVP or AVP, the same situation applies.

Gordon
Old 08-17-2004, 10:56 AM
Dave Mathewson

ORIGINAL: Gordon Mc

one does not need three LM's to vouch for him. As pointed out to me by Dr. Frank, Dist VIII V.P., three adult members of the club can vouch and sign for a LM applicant.
Unless I and others have read it wrong, according to the application form on the AMA website, that is not the case. You need 3 LM's, unless you can get your VP or AVP to sign off on you - not just any 3 adult members. See AMA doc 907. Since the majority of AMA members in my district have never met their DVP or AVP, the same situation applies.

Gordon
Jim, Gordon,

The Leader Member application requires the references of 1. 3 Leader Members, or 2. 3 open members and the endorsement of either a VP or an AVP.

The Contest Director application requires only the references of 3 open members.
Dave
Old 08-17-2004, 01:23 PM
JimRoss

I have not met my Dist. V.P. either but have conversed with him on the phone and via email. He signed my application after seeing three adult members had signed for me. Now all I have to do is put the $10.00 in the envelope and mail it to HQ. Done Deal!
Old 08-18-2004, 12:39 PM
bob27s

Dave,

Yep... thats a classic of an engine. An original Sport-Jett .40 engine. Complete with the red anodized prop drive, and the 'ram-jett' carb. Produced in the 1993-94 time frame.

The Revolution is still pleanty competitive for sport class racing. If nothing else, they make great sport planes!

Drop me a PM if you wish some more info on the engines you have on hand

Bob Brassell
Old 08-18-2004, 12:51 PM
bob27s

I think it was John Burns who actually invited me to apply for LM status a number of years ago. My LM is in the Administrative catagory due to my dedicated involvement as a club board member with a number of clubs, and similar capacities with recognized aeromodeling interest groups. I am pleased to say that I continue such involvment.

I can see the issue of the 'older' somewhat inactive LMs causing some concern. If there is an impression that there are sufficient numbers of LMs to represent the modeling population... and such was not the case, there might be some reservation toward adding LMs to the ranks.
Old 09-01-2004, 09:41 PM
sydclement
My Feedback: (1)

Dave:
When is the AMA going to end the rumor mill and enlighten all of its members
about the accident near Cleveland Ohio 2 weeks ago?

Syd Clement
Old 09-03-2004, 08:57 AM
Dave Mathewson

ORIGINAL: sydclement

Dave:
When is the AMA going to end the rumor mill and enlighten all of its members
about the accident near Cleveland Ohio 2 weeks ago?

Syd Clement
Hi Syd,
I'm not sure that I know anything more than you do right now. The first we heard about it was last Thursday, in the afternoon, when it came out in a causal conversation the president was having with somebody else. When he got off the phone the president called AMA HQ to find out see what info we had. That was the first our HQ staff heard of the incident. It was right around that time that the "Hayden" post began appearing on several forums. I believe a copy was also sent to the president.

None of the modelers involved in the incident had directly contacted AMA, at least as of earlier this week. Our staff is in the process of trying to contact and follow-up with the people involved while obviously trying to be sensitive to the fact that this is a difficult time for them.
Dave
Old 09-07-2004, 01:08 PM
bob27s

For those interested in exactly what happened....
please view this post

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.a...576&tostyle=tm

Nick is a fellow club member of mine, and was there when the unfortunate incident occured.

It is valueless to entertain any secondhand information or to speculate futher (as many have).

It was an accident. Pure and simple.

Casey is doing better, but required some signficant medial attention.

Bob Brassell
Old 09-10-2004, 08:13 AM
JimRoss

My Leader Member status was approved and certificate mailed to me last week. As I previously posted, three Open Members signed for me and Dr. Frank waived the three year membership requirement and approved the application.
Still, I am not looking for an agenda of my own, I simply want to help any way I can to better the organization. My opinions may not mean anything to anyone else but at least I now have a conduit to make them known. If more people would do the same thing the V.P.'s would have a larger sampling of what we truly think and could make better informed decisions on how we feel about issues.

Lets just suppose that my opinions coincide with several other people, wouldn't that make a case for letting it be known? If I am way off base on an issue then Dr. Frank could and probably would ignore what I had to say. Either way he would have more information to use in his decision.