Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Reece Aiurport

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Reece Aiurport

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 12:53 AM
vettediver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reece Aiurport

The July 04 EC Minutes contain a reference to " getting financial statements on the Reese airport". Does this mean that the EC is thinking of getting the AMA into the FBO business or are they thinking of buying more land in Muncie????????? Both, in my opinion , very bad ideas!!!! What is your opinion on this matter??
Old 08-04-2004, 03:36 PM
Dave Mathewson

Default RE: Reece Aiurport

ORIGINAL: vettediver

The July 04 EC Minutes contain a reference to " getting financial statements on the Reese airport". Does this mean that the EC is thinking of getting the AMA into the FBO business or are they thinking of buying more land in Muncie????????? Both, in my opinion , very bad ideas!!!! What is your opinion on this matter??
Hi Vette,

This is my understanding from someone who was around "back then". Back when AMA first moved to Muncie the owners of Reese offered the property to AMA. We declined. The issue was raised again a few years ago and again no agreement was reached but we now have right of first refusal if the airport property is put up for sale. I didn't find out for sure but it may have been around that time that approval was given for a preliminary environmental site assessment. This assessment was presented by the president at the July EC meeting and done because the owner of the airport has once again approached us about selling his property. A suggestion was made that a phase 2 assessment be done at a cost mentioned in the minutes. The EVP suggested that before we went any further we needed a financial picture of what's happening over there.

Now, I don't want to back myself into a corner here but let me continue. I don't know if "AMA" is thinking about getting into the FBO business because the issue died after the EVP asked for more documents. The president, who raised the issue, didn't offer an opinion. There has been no number put on the table for consideration. Some on the Council think we need to purchase the airport to protect ourselves on that side of our property in case the airport is bought for development. Some don't.

Here's were I stand based only on the limited facts I have in front of me. I'm not sure AMA should be in the FBO business. I've been over to Reese quite a few times and I think I have a pretty good concept of the operation. Coincidently I own a small airport very similar to Reese but, IMO, a notch or two better with 10 or 12 more airplanes hangared there. Unless something dramatic comes to light, I don't see me changing my mind. As far as buying the property as farmland only as a buffer, I'd need a whole lot more information before I could make a decision . Right now there are some things over there that worry me more than the need to have a buffer to be protected against some future development that may or may not happen. I still have a lot of questions that need answers.
Dave
Old 08-04-2004, 06:20 PM
vettediver

Dave:

Thanks for your reasoned and informed response!! Hope you will continue to be as approachable after you are elected!!
Old 08-04-2004, 07:03 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: vettediver

Dave:

Thanks for your reasoned and informed response!! Hope you will continue to be as approachable after you are elected!!
It is a crying shame that more AMA members don't take advantage of this forum to get an idea of the choice they have in voting for our next AMA President.

I have the distinct impression going back to when I met two of Dave's AVPs at a meet way off in the Boonies (Boonville) in upstate NY that if he is elected it will not be business as usual. The windows will be opened and we will get some fresh ideas that will take the AMA to its full potential.

Red S.
AMA 951 Dist V
Leader Member