Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA's operating cost

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA's operating cost

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2004, 11:10 PM
BillyGoat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AMA's operating cost

Dave, when the dues were last increased I heard a lot of grumbling mostly within the small group we call a club. Now I’ll be the first to admit we know very little about what goes on a Muncie but there sure is an image, I don’t think is just limited to our humble back woods, that there is some spending that can be a bit more restricted.

Without getting into all the nifty stuff the AMA does for modelers for $58 a year, do you see potential for some corporate downsizing or what we like to call good old fashioned “trimming the fat”?

Bill
Old 08-16-2004, 11:45 AM
Dave Mathewson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AMA's operating cost

ORIGINAL: BillyGoat

Dave, when the dues were last increased I heard a lot of grumbling mostly within the small group we call a club. Now I’ll be the first to admit we know very little about what goes on a Muncie but there sure is an image, I don’t think is just limited to our humble back woods, that there is some spending that can be a bit more restricted.

Without getting into all the nifty stuff the AMA does for modelers for $58 a year, do you see potential for some corporate downsizing or what we like to call good old fashioned “trimming the fat”?

Bill
Hi Bill,
Actually, "we know very little about what goes on in Muncie but there sure is an image" is a comment I hear regularly. Part of the problem is our fault. We could do a much better job of telling the membership what we are doing on their behalf. If nothing else I think some would be interested and appreciative, and for others it might at least put the cost of membership into better perspective.

As for "trimming the fat", the short answer is that the organization should be run as efficiently as possible without short changing member services. The same as any well-run business. And I do know the ED has spent considerable time this year reviewing exactly this issue. It’s also important to remember that while some members may see no value in a specific program, it may be extremely important to other members. I don't think I can make you a promise that should I become president there would be any "corporate downsizing", all I can promise is that we would do our best to ensure that the members get good value for their money.
Dave