Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

How do we get the "Average" age down from 57.5..

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

How do we get the "Average" age down from 57.5..

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 04:30 PM
CDignition
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How do we get the "Average" age down from 57.5..

While I can agree, watching trainers fly in circles is very boring, and uninspiring,lol...I Think the Giant planes will fascinate alot of folks...I have a 35% and 40% Extra 330, and man, they draw attention,lol...cause they are stink big,lol...it is the extreme of the extreme..
Old 10-26-2004, 08:28 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Signed up 48 new junior members at a controline "learn to fly" last Sunday. We used one old Guillow's #2 trainer with a McCoy 19 and 9 x 4 Tornado white plastic prop. Eventually, last flight of the day, the landing gear broke from repeated tumbling landings in thick grass. All the kids flew at least once, and some flew several times. We had three other trainers but didn't need them. We had an instructor in the circle with the student. I'm not sure, because I was involved elsewhere, but I think two non-modelers took over fueling, starting the engine, and releasing the airplane. At least it was two guys I didn't know. A good time was had by all.
Old 10-26-2004, 08:57 PM
CDignition

That is cool.. I like CL...With the new BRodak ARF's, Im gonna get one..
Old 10-27-2004, 09:53 AM
quint-rcu
My Feedback: (24)

Jim, I know we can sign up all those juniors - and way to go guys! But how many will be AMA members when they are 20 - 40? THAT is the problem, we know how to reach the youngsters, but lose them at the teen years. Some will return late in life and then THEY can ask how to get the average age down. Any ideas?

quint
Old 11-01-2004, 10:46 PM
swooper

Lowering the age average, let's see, kids (under driving age) don't have the dough. This hobby costs serious money! The coolest thing about the widespread building of public skateparks is that most any kid can come up with $75 bucks for a skateboard and ride it all season for free.
People above driving age have Real Lives (ahem) to live, they're busy mating, reproducing, earning the big dough, etc. etc.
The one group most likely to bite the bait is the father-son couple, it's a great activity for them to share, and Dad has the dough if he'll sell his bass boat, snowmobile, or whatever. Sell to the boys and get them to bring Dad.
Old 11-01-2004, 11:14 PM
J3FAN

WITH THE EUTHANIZED OVER SIXTIES, PRODUCE "SOYLENT GREEN"... THEN CHEMICALLY MODIFY IT TO WORK AS FUEL.....HAVE THE NAZIS STIR THE SOYLENT GREEN UNTIL IT REACHES THE CORRECT FLUIDITY.
mongo, you could ONLY live in West Texas....! no where ELSE would take you
Even writing <G> didn't help
ORIGINAL: mongo

euthanise everyone over 60.

harsh indeed, but it will bring down the average age.

probably get rid of most of the field nazi problems as well<G>
Old 11-05-2004, 03:08 PM
dave jones

Guys
I agree that there needs to be something done to get the average age of RC modelers down a bit I have herd RC modeling called the old mans hobby.
As I see it there are many reasons that the younger kids quickly loose interests in the RC hobby.
It has been called the video game syndrome kid today learn to fly RC so fast that it is not as much of a challenge to them as it was to us older guys so they loose interest in it very quickly because they get bored just drilling holes in the sky flight after flight.
One of the things I believe that could be done to help keep there interest and make the RC hobby a bit more interesting to them and that is to add a bit of highteck to there flying.
Once they have mastered the basics of flying the model then a video camera and a video down link mounted on the model to transmit video from the model to the ground so that they could see what the loops and rolls look like from a pilots point of view.
I know that the AMA has band the use of video as a means of flying a model wile watching the video on a TV screen but this could be done safely with the use of a buddy box and a safety pilot in control of the master transmitter, I have done this and and with a safety pilot on the master transmitter I feel that it is very safe and and very exciting.
Not only would it would get and help keep the interests of the younger guys it will get some of the older guys excited as well.
The next thing that could be done is to transmit data down from the model to tell how fast it is flying how high it is the direction that it flying. All of this would move the hobby of flying model airplanes closer to the realm of the video game and I believe it would help keep there interests.
There is a unlimited list of safe and high tech thing that can be done with model aviation if we just put a little thought in to it.

Now as for the low cost electric park flyers one of the things that I would like to see the manufactures do is to standardize the controls on the transmitters. I flew one for new guy that came out to our field this past week end and it had the throttle stick on the left and the rudder on the right stick. the throttle acted as the elevator. To clime you gave it full throttle by pushing forward on the stick the rudder stick controlled the speed of the two electric motors one on each wing to control left and right turns it worked well but is is not the standard format that most of us fly.
Wile this may be fine if this is all that the new guy is ever going to fly but as the time comes that he or she wishes to move up to a standard 4 channel model he or she will have to learn to fly all over again.
Dave Jones
AUAV.net
Old 11-17-2004, 04:55 AM
fliers1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's easy, provide readily available flight instructon on a daily basis. Some clubs offer instruction once or twice a week, but due to the much too short flying season, that leaves too many newbies wanting. As for kids, parents have to provide transportation and don't have the time to wait several hours for their kids to get in a flight or two. The public is told that all clubs have members who eager to provide instruction, but what is not told is just how many trips to the field and how many hours will be invested to learn to fly.

CCR
AMA# 120734
Old 11-17-2004, 08:03 AM
quint-rcu

It's easy, provide readily available flight instructon on a daily basis
If I remember this from old posts on the RCCollective site, your solution is PAID instructors isn't it? Or are you saying you would volunteer to give free daily lessons? What a lucky club that has a volunteer group giving FREE daily instruction... We don't have such and would totally oppose using a field funded by our membership for paid classes.

Then again, in order to require daily training classes there must be a demand for it, and that would mean that people are forthcoming, and that would mean that we don't have a problem finding younger members, and that would mean were dreaming, doesn't it?

quint
Old 11-17-2004, 08:15 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned

ORIGINAL: fliers1

It's easy, provide readily available flight instructon on a daily basis. Some clubs offer instruction once or twice a week, but due to the much too short flying season, that leaves too many newbies wanting. As for kids, parents have to provide transportation and don't have the time to wait several hours for their kids to get in a flight or two. The public is told that all clubs have members who eager to provide instruction, but what is not told is just how many trips to the field and how many hours will be invested to learn to fly.

CCR
AMA# 120734
I would wager that flight instruction 24/7 in guaranteed 74 degree, 2 mph max wind dowb astroturf 1000 ft runways, planes furnished with transportation provided to and from ones home would have an insignificant impact on the number of younger fliers that would join the hobby for more than a few months at most. Throw in some nubile 16 year old pit bunnies to set up, retrieve and clean the planes and they might make it through a whole year.

Live with it! You have a better chance of growing balsa wood in your own garden.

Red S.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:45 AM
quint-rcu

Red, you hit it on the head, and did you say "nubile pit bunnies"? Make them middle age (to slow them up enough for us old timers to catch) and I would volunteer to teach, mow the Astroturf, or whatever... [sm=lol.gif] Now where did I put my balsa wood seeds?
Old 11-17-2004, 09:27 AM
fliers1

ORIGINAL: quint-rcu

It's easy, provide readily available flight instructon on a daily basis
If I remember this from old posts on the RCCollective site, your solution is PAID instructors isn't it? Or are you saying you would volunteer to give free daily lessons? What a lucky club that has a volunteer group giving FREE daily instruction... We don't have such and would totally oppose using a field funded by our membership for paid classes.

Then again, in order to require daily training classes there must be a demand for it, and that would mean that people are forthcoming, and that would mean that we don't have a problem finding younger members, and that would mean were dreaming, doesn't it?

quint
No one mentioned anything about paid instruction except you. The idea is to have several club instructors to teach more than once or twice a day. So many claim that they have many instructors eager to help, why not 3 or more instructors scheduling instruction 3 or more days aweek?

CCR
Old 11-17-2004, 10:40 AM
quint-rcu

I was thinking back to your past posts on that other site and some of your past positions expressed here such as; http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_28...r/tm.htm#28804

It's an old flamed out thread, but you are right that it's no use restarting it here. Down here in the south we wish we had so many newcomers to require daily instructions, but alas it is not so. Maybe the 12 month flying season and lots of other outdoor activities are the reason. We have 4 clubs within an hour of us and plenty of retired guys willing and able to train on anybody's schedule, now where to find the younger (20-40) fliers beyond the teen years to teach is another problem. How do you-all dig em' up in NY? Do you advertise, etc?
Old 11-17-2004, 11:50 AM
fliers1

ORIGINAL: quint-rcu

I was thinking back to your past posts on that other site and some of your past positions expressed here such as; http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_28...r/tm.htm#28804

It's an old flamed out thread, but you are right that it's no use restarting it here. Down here in the south we wish we had so many newcomers to require daily instructions, but alas it is not so. Maybe the 12 month flying season and lots of other outdoor activities are the reason. We have 4 clubs within an hour of us and plenty of retired guys willing and able to train on anybody's schedule, now where to find the younger (20-40) fliers beyond the teen years to teach is another problem. How do you-all dig em' up in NY? Do you advertise, etc?

Yep, you have to let people know clubs, flying and readily available instruction is around. In the past, me and one club member spent 7 hours giving (as in free) somewhere around 100 boyscouts a few minutes each of sticktime. Although we contacted several clubs in the area, no one else showed up. We've been asked to do it again next year. As a result, we signed up and soloed at least a dozen in 2 years. We would had more, but unfortunately we had some terrible weather. Think what we could've done if we lived in Florida or similar climates.

CCR
Old 11-17-2004, 01:49 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned

Yep, you have to let people know clubs, flying and readily available instruction is around. In the past, me and one club member spent 7 hours giving (as in free) somewhere around 100 boyscouts a few minutes each of sticktime. Although we contacted several clubs in the area, no one else showed up. We've been asked to do it again next year. As a result, we signed up and soloed at least a dozen in 2 years. We would had more, but unfortunately we had some terrible weather. Think what we could've done if we lived in Florida or similar climates.

CCR
Out of that dozen you soloed in two years how many are still in the hobby?

Red S.
Old 11-17-2004, 03:27 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Out of the millions that no one soloed, how many are still in the hobby?

Jim
Old 11-17-2004, 03:55 PM
fliers1

ORIGINAL: Red Scholefield

CCR
Out of that dozen you soloed in two years how many are still in the hobby?

I know for a fact that 10 are still flying and several are flight instructors.

CCR

Red S.
Old 11-21-2004, 06:13 AM
FunXtra

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...
I'm 16, and the biggest problem i have in san diego and the nearest field from where i live (del mar) is weedwhacker field (about 90 minutes away). this is a huge problem, since i only get rides over there once or twice a year...
Another thing is that it took me about a year to gather up 600 dollars (excuse the lack of dexterity in this message but i'm in france right now and the keyboard layout is totally awkward [:'(] ) to build a .40 size model, which is a ridiculous price tag for such a thing considering as well that i put the cheapest equipment i could find.
Most people here, like me, go out surfing, skating(ergo to get yelled at by cops), or just doing homework most of the time... which leaves flying out of interest for most of us. on the other hand, gamers would gladly fly...the problem is getting them to get some fresh air. So to help the hobby it woulmd be good to "blend in" some of our model airplane media with the videogame industry's. kind of making a corporate alliance, which would make big companies like microsoft, sony, or nintendo to help us incentivate the hobby. Grab some popular magazine and think out what would go along with what is popular right now among these "subcultures".
Some links that you may find useful:
www.vans.com
www.thrashermagazine.com
www.bungie.net
www.mircosoft.com/games
www.pcgamer.com

These should help advertise the hobby, and many more magazines can be found in Barnes and Noble and other Bookstores. I dont think shopping mall drives help much since theyu dont receive a lot of attention by the teenage audience. Sadly most of teens like lots of glitter, show of money and pretty lights, au contraire of our hobby, which is no-nonsense...
A good advertising camaign could help, but costs make these things very prohibitive, but they could help bring a renewed audience; just see how popular some things become just because they get good advertisement.

Sincerely,

Harald
AMA 777473