Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

More on AMA Safety Code Leader input

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

More on AMA Safety Code Leader input

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 06:27 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default More on AMA Safety Code Leader input

In a message dated 8/20/2004 1:45:17 PM Central Standard Time, [email protected] writes:
Your help is needed!

Recently you received an e-mail regarding the proposed
Safety Code Revision for 2005. The included hyperlink
lead you to our website to provide input regarding the
proposed changes.

The encrypted return e-mail address was set up by our
Information System Department to automatically direct
any responses to my e-mail inbox. By mistake I marked
the return address to be a spam/junk mail response and
it was added to the "Blocked Senders List". As a result
over 40 responses were inadvertently deleted.

Your input is important to us and we are concerned that
we are not able to recuperate the lost e-mails.Therefore
we are asking you to please re-send any comments.You can
do so by replying to this email or you can just use our
original email and go back to our website where you
submitted them originally.

We apologize for the inconvenience and trust you will
understand the dilemma we all face over e-mails.

Carl Maroney

----- My Reply -----

Yep, Carl, SHot happens.

AMA Leader 539

Two items:

(1) In the CL section, you changed the distance from electric lines TO 50 feet from OVERHEAD electric lines FROM the current 50 ft. from any electric line.
IMO that is a BAD change. That electric line over to the side will kill one just as fast as an overhead line maybe more so because the line to the side is the line that will get the guy that is running backwards to catch the line-slack when a model inadvertently turns inward.

(2) You sneaked in "COMPETITIONS" with the groups that require a STRAIGHT line Flight Line, previously (currently) Airshows and Demonstrations. IMO this is a direct affront to those Clubs that have a fine flying facility where there are two runways -- different headings -- and conditions permit the use of both runways, i.e. flightlines, in such competitions as Scale and Pattern. One straight flight-line closes one runway in a competition.

The most dangerous situation is the onerous Fly-In where undisciplined noncompetition fliers are flying all over the sky. You still allow them to use the Curved Line.
IMO that "jest ain't too brilliant thar, Ol' Pard." Contest fliers are much more disciplined because they have to abide by rules all the time. Fly-In types just bore holes in whatever sky that might exist.

Another item is that I think the mention of the Jet document should be retained. Lots of people including some CDs around that don't know that Jet night-flying is a No-No.

Other than that, Hey, the new SC looks like a very well done job of editing the current conglomeration of garbage. Very nice to see effort expended into the simple and better things of life.

Horrace Cain
e-mail -- the fast way to communicate.
Old 08-20-2004, 09:30 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts
Default RE: More on AMA Safety Code Leader input

am i to infeer from this that there were only 40 some odd responses to the request for input as of the 20th? and all those were deleted?

i am guessing that we need to return to the site and re enter any notations/changes we wish made?
Old 08-21-2004, 07:52 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: mongo

am i to infeer from this that there were only 40 some odd responses to the request for input as of the 20th? and all those were deleted?

i am guessing that we need to return to the site and re enter any notations/changes we wish made?
Mongo, you may infer as you please, however the Maroney email stated "....over 40....deleted." That could be any amount/number from 41 on up.

Maroney stated ".... please re-send any comments.You can do so by replying to this email...."

I replied to his email with copies to Brown, Hager, and Frank. All the *Powers* now know for sure what happened and where it happened. They can assure the correction of a simple mistake or do whatever they think is appropriate.
In this case I am pleased that CM actually admitted to an error took steps to correct that error. IMO to admit fault and attempt correction is definitely a plus.
Old 08-21-2004, 09:51 AM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

i guess the real question is, was he able to save any of the comments made before he caught the spam thing, or were all the comments made prior to that point simply lost.

and yes, someone who will own up to any mistake these days is a rarity. kudos to CM for the honesty.
Old 08-21-2004, 12:20 PM
Phil Cole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

(1) In the CL section, you changed the distance from electric lines TO 50 feet from OVERHEAD electric lines FROM the current 50 ft. from any electric line.
IMO that is a BAD change. That electric line over to the side will kill one just as fast as an overhead line maybe more so because the line to the side is the line that will get the guy that is running backwards to catch the line-slack when a model inadvertently turns inward.

I read this to mean that there is no need to maintain clearance to underground power cables. The "overhead" refers to all above-ground lines in the vicinity, directly above or not. Still, if one person came up with a different interpretation, others will.