Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Charlotte, NC Clubs

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Charlotte, NC Clubs

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 05:31 PM
CarolinaCrasher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charlotte, NC Clubs

Hey, I just transferred to UNC-Charlotte and I was wondering what r/c clubs are around here. PM me if you have a good deal of info. Thanks!
Old 08-24-2004, 08:56 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Charlotte, NC Clubs

Contact Hobby Stop in Rock Hill SC. Great shop with good connections. There is a field in Rock hill that has a great bunch of scale guys.
Old 08-24-2004, 10:48 PM
J_R

Use Bill Lee's District VIII club locator. Ignore the fact it appears to cover only a few states. It covers the US.

http://www.ama-dist-8.org/Clubs/index.html
Old 08-25-2004, 05:17 AM
Bill Lee

ORIGINAL: J_R

Use Bill Lee's District VIII club locator. Ignore the fact it appears to cover only a few states. It covers the US.

http://www.ama-dist-8.org/Clubs/index.html
A better URL that removes the District VIII "stigma":

http://www.ama-dist-8.org/Clubs/Locator.html

Bill Lee
Old 08-25-2004, 11:20 AM
NCBrit

How far are you willing to drive?
Old 08-25-2004, 08:19 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

NC has a point. He and I are members of an excellent club in the Hickory area. Come join us any Saturday or Sunday afternoon. We are about an hour and twenty minutes from the University area.
Old 08-26-2004, 06:04 AM
brownknows

Carolina Crasher,

The PoBoys PropTwisters is a small club in south-east Charlotte, actually between Matthews and Indian Trail. we are a real informal bunch that just enjoys flying. We are the longest running AMA charter in the area. Please come out to the field any weeknight or weekend as my guest.

Read more about our club on the [link=http://www.poboys.org]PoBoys website[/link].

DavBro

Other clubs in the ares include the Charlotte Aeromodelers (Midland, NC), York County Flyers (York, SC), and the Cabarrus RC club (Huntersville?).
Old 09-21-2004, 02:34 PM
zx32tt
My Feedback: (9)

You can fly at the Huntersville field as long as you have a city pass and an AMA card. The "club" is in name only, but the field is city/county owned. One of the best sites around.
Paved runway. The Mooresville club is nice too. Nice group of guys. I lived in the Charlotte area for the last 40 yrs. before moving to the swamp known as Houston TX.
Z
Old 09-27-2004, 10:59 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

There are several clubs close in to Charlotte, one flies at Midland, which is east of the city, and has a warbird fly-in. Go to charlotteaeromodelers.com. I live in Hickory, about 45 mi. N.W. of Charlotte, and you're welcome at our field, Bob Wilson Memorial Field. My club is West Hickory AeroModelers or WHAM . We are located about 1-1/2 miles N.W. of Hickory Muicipal Airport on Airport-Rhodhiss Rd. We've got a 1200 foot paved runway and parallel grass strip. Our field is an abandoned drag strip from the '60s, and we have 2 AMA sanctioned fly-ins a year. Come fly with us!
Old 10-15-2004, 10:37 AM
jbloom

There is a club in the Gastonia area too. The Gaston R/C Flyers have a 400' paved runway and we host an annual old timers fly-in every year. This year, it's on November 6th.

Visit the website at www.gastonrcflyers.org for photo's and directions to the field.

John