Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

scale compeition and ARF's

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

scale compeition and ARF's

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 11:35 AM
clscale-RCU
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default scale compeition and ARF's

The question is two fold:

1) scale and the Nationals

I was looking at the scheduling for the Nats this past summer and noticed that the scale events were held first, then some helicoptor events. Then there was a 1 week break with nothing, and then all of the other CL and RC events were held. The problem this creates is that if you fly for example CL carrier and CL scale you really have to travel twice due to the week long break between the two events. My question is why are the scale events forced to be so out of snyc from the other other events? I fly Control line scale mostly, but have also flown CL carrier. I did not attend the Nats this year, but if I had I would have pick between two events and dropped the other one. The alternative is to run all of the CL events (scale included) in one time span, thus allowing folks to enter a variety of events with one trip. This also applies to Radio control.

2) scale competition

ARF's have drastically changed the market and it seems that scale competition is taking a big hit due to the proliferation of ARF's. THe heart of this issue is builder of the model rule. What is the AMA going to do to re-align the rules and competition to make the scale competition survive (scheduling the Scale nats 2 weeks before all other events doesn't help either). Somehow the rules for scale competition have to set up to allow ARF's to be flown, maybe repaint the model or something else other than fun scale.

something to thing about,
Fred Cronenwett
CL scale and Carrier
Old 09-27-2004, 04:27 PM
Dave Mathewson

Default RE: scale compeition and ARF's

ORIGINAL: clscale-RCU

The question is two fold:

1) scale and the Nationals

I was looking at the scheduling for the Nats this past summer and noticed that the scale events were held first, then some helicoptor events. Then there was a 1 week break with nothing, and then all of the other CL and RC events were held. The problem this creates is that if you fly for example CL carrier and CL scale you really have to travel twice due to the week long break between the two events. My question is why are the scale events forced to be so out of snyc from the other other events? I fly Control line scale mostly, but have also flown CL carrier. I did not attend the Nats this year, but if I had I would have pick between two events and dropped the other one. The alternative is to run all of the CL events (scale included) in one time span, thus allowing folks to enter a variety of events with one trip. This also applies to Radio control.

2) scale competition

ARF's have drastically changed the market and it seems that scale competition is taking a big hit due to the proliferation of ARF's. THe heart of this issue is builder of the model rule. What is the AMA going to do to re-align the rules and competition to make the scale competition survive (scheduling the Scale nats 2 weeks before all other events doesn't help either). Somehow the rules for scale competition have to set up to allow ARF's to be flown, maybe repaint the model or something else other than fun scale.

something to thing about,
Fred Cronenwett
CL scale and Carrier
Hi Fred,
At first I thought the break between CL Scale and the other CL events may have been the result of our hosting he 2004 CL World Championships this year. But I looked back to 2003 and the same thing occurred. It looks as though all the Scale events, both CL and RC, are run together. I do seem to recall in the past where all the CL events were run consecutively. The Nats Planning Committee meets this coming month to begin to prepare for 2005. A member of each event sits on the committee. I've forwarded this part of your message to the Nats manager for consideration.

I'm afraid you're right. As far as I know, every discipline that has a BOM rule is trying to decide how to handle it, especially with the influx of quality ARF models becoming available in the last few years. This includes not only CL Scale, but CL PA, RC Scale, even some FF events. The contest boards, as you know, create the rules for their discipline. Rules changes can be submitted to them by any member and most SIGs are heavily involved in the process. With the current rules cycle ending, and the next one beginning soon, I'd expect to see some rules proposals that will address the proliferation of ARF models.
Dave
Old 09-28-2004, 11:36 AM
clscale-RCU
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: scale compeition and ARF's

Hi Dave,

Good to see someone is interested in pursueing some of these issues. Good luck!

Fred Cronenwett