Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

I've been asked to be a club officer...

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

I've been asked to be a club officer...

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 08:34 PM
FlyBlueSkies
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I've been asked to be a club officer...

I am VERY HONORED for the request and want to accept.

However, I am a bit reluctant for the following reasons and I am looking for a little feedback.

The main reason is that I understand the officers would be taken to court if something happened. While I realize this may be a remote chance, I'm not sure I'd want to do this.

The second, and only other reason, is that there are always conflicting feelings about how the club should be run....problem members, etc.

I have 'cast my nomination' as a VP to limit the amount of tough decision...but is this realistic?

Anyway, I DO WANT this position, but I am concerned about the liability.

I'm sure there are several people out there who have considered the same possibility and accepted...do you have any thoughts you might share?

JB
Old 09-24-2004, 09:02 PM
rw Guinn

Default RE: I've been asked to be a club officer...

If a club/organization is worth joining, it is worthy of active participation and responsibility. You can sit back and cower in fear of what might be, or jump in and help direct what is

IF the possibility of litigation frightens you, take out insurance, or sell everything and hide in the basement.
If the club is chartered under AMA, you are covered from liability for physical damages. if the club is incorporated, you're in even better shape.

All it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

applies to all levels of evil--from slightly naughty to Osama/Adolph level.
Locally as well as globally.
Old 09-24-2004, 09:15 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Hmmm... You must be one of the new guys huh?

Just kidding. Seriously it seems you have a pretty good understanding of your exposure and shouldn't let anyone here sway you...just flip a coin! or .... Ask yourself can you GIVE anything to your club that will insure continued FUN and safe place to fly.
Old 09-24-2004, 09:38 PM
J_R

As an officer, you should be familar with the liability insurance provided to the club and to the landlord under the AMA policy. The best info is in the club charter kit at http://www.modelaircraft.org/templat...004clubkit.pdf

It takes a few minutes to read though, but its worth it.
Old 09-24-2004, 10:02 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: FlyBlueSkies

I am VERY HONORED for the request and want to accept.

However, I am a bit reluctant for the following reasons and I am looking for a little feedback.

The main reason is that I understand the officers would be taken to court if something happened. While I realize this may be a remote chance, I'm not sure I'd want to do this.
RW Guinn hit the nail squarely on the head. Heed what he says.

The second, and only other reason, is that there are always conflicting feelings about how the club should be run....problem members, etc.
That is true in any situation where two or more people are together and talking about something, (some people have conflicting feelings without company)

To be a good club officer does require some self confidence and also the ability to READ and KNOW the AMA rules, the CLUB RULES and the club's bylaws, constitution, etc. Do not be afraid to refer to these documents even when not in doubt.
Listen to the members. Discuss with all the other officers, and make decisions when called for, or support those decisions of the entire Board and/or club votes. You cannot always have things your way. TIP: When getting work done let the volunteers do it their way as long as the results are acceptable. Keeps a lot of work off your shoulders!!
A good officer organizes things and gets work accomplished by others rather than doing the job all by himself. I know that sometimes it's always easier to just do it alone, however soon you have no one trained to take the job when you get tired of it. Use the help.

Now when you are involved in a project or just the daily duties, remember this: That regular sport flier is just as much a member of the club as the hot-shot show-off, or the famous name contest flier. Don't be partial. Don't be afraid to tell hot-shot that he is flying behind the flight line or whatever and then go make the newbie toe the line. Once you have a plan stick to it no matter if Old-Timer complains about always doing something a certain way since before dirt.[:-] No one is too old -- or too young -- to change when the unit good is in question.

I have 'cast my nomination' as a VP to limit the amount of tough decision...but is this realistic?
Anyway, I DO WANT this position, but I am concerned about the liability.
I'm sure there are several people out there who have considered the same possibility and accepted...do you have any thoughts you might share?

JB
If you want to do it you will very likely do well at it. Don't get all ruffled when you make a mistake or two. Don't let others ruffle you. Get up, dust yourself off and move on.
Then you may have that really BIG problem. The club will want you to stay there for years and years!!

Go for it and best of luck.
Old 09-24-2004, 10:35 PM
Live Wire

It may be an honor but make sure you are ready for the responsibility that comes with it and the dedication that goes with it , Make sure that you can take the heat when it comes your way.
Spelling check
Old 09-24-2004, 11:57 PM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ALL of your concerns about liability are valid. However the club being incorporated and following its own bylaws goes a long way at resolving your exposure. The risks involved with accidents are covered by the AMA policy, IF THE SAFETY CODE is followed and club bylaws that provide for due process are in place and followed. Be careful with that last one because I promise there WILL be those who will lean on you to operate just outside the rules, for which you have NO AMA coverage.

Good luck because I am fairly sure you will make a good sucker, er.. officer.

James G. Branaum
Treasurer San Antoinio Prop Busters 1996-
Old 09-25-2004, 01:42 AM
J_R

ORIGINAL: Jim Branaum

ALL of your concerns about liability are valid. However the club being incorporated and following its own bylaws goes a long way at resolving your exposure. The risks involved with accidents are covered by the AMA policy, IF THE SAFETY CODE is followed and club bylaws that provide for due process are in place and followed. Be careful with that last one because I promise there WILL be those who will lean on you to operate just outside the rules, for which you have NO AMA coverage.

Good luck because I am fairly sure you will make a good sucker, er.. officer.

James G. Branaum
Treasurer San Antoinio Prop Busters 1996-
Having a claim disallowed is always a possibility, however, I defy you to name one such instance.
Old 09-25-2004, 07:54 AM
BillyGoat

As a officer of our club I become frustrated at times. You learn to choose your battles so you still enjoy going out to the field.
Old 09-25-2004, 04:37 PM
Mike in DC

First, I want to commend you for wanting to do the job. As far as the conflicts, just treat everybody with respect, listen really well, and treat everybody fairly (equally), and you'll be fine. Most complaints should be regarded as offers to do the job themselves. If they just want to complain, but not work, ignore them.

As far as liability, the chances of you losing your shirt as a board member are very remote, but not zero. If you're the kind of person who considers it a nightmare just to get a letter with a lawyer's name in the return address, then you should consider insurance beyond the AMA. First, see if you home owner's insurance liability covers you. If not, then the club will have to decide to buy board insurance. It should be less than $1,000 a year. My club has it, and I have no problem with my dues going to pay it, given the amount of time and effort the board members put into making the club successful. I certainly don't think they should also risk their own assets to be board members.
Old 09-28-2004, 09:41 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Two words of advice.

1. Do it for FUN, do NOT make it a JOB.
2. Make the guys work for you, not the other way around. You administrate, advise, and coach, and they play the game. If they don't like it, then give them the keys.

Far as liability, you risk being sued for just getting out of bed and going out the front door every morning, so I wouldn't let it hinder you from running for an office. If your club never addressed the issue, then you would do the club a great justice by researching this issue and getting the club any needed protection while your in office.

Scott