Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Site Planning

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Site Planning

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 07:13 PM
alanroll
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Site Planning

Several others and myself are about to form an RC club. We have a site with substantial area and are trying to settle on runway orientation and dimensions. I have the AMA literature which is useful but does provide recommended runway dimensions, at least that I have found. Can anyone provide some references on this subject?

Thanks
Old 09-27-2004, 09:01 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Site Planning

Determine the highest performance you want to fly and go for whatever you need to support it. The lesser performance can well operate with less.
Some things that you might consider:
Jets and large competition scale models will generally need brakes. Braking is not feasible on grass as a skip across a grass clump, brakes lock and so goes the gear. If you can make a grass RR of some 700' +, then brakes will probably not be needed. Grass is easier to operate off of as the ground steering is not nearly so critical.
Overfly of property not yours can well create havoc for recovery of a down-plane. AMA recommended distances require some 50 acres +/- not including parking. Big Birds can easily use more. How much area and who are the neighbors?
Will you be pylon racing? AMA specifications are woefully inadequate for 3-pylon race courses unless the entire area is just one big runway.
Do you fly combat? AMA field specs. also inadequate for RC Combat under current Safety Code and rules.

I suggest as large a Pit area as you can afford.

Now for runway orientation: Do as we did, Study the average wind direction etc for past 10 years. Lay out runway for best chance of headwind, north-south, east-west take-offs & landings which for us was a 16/34 runway. Now for the past 8 years we are assured that each important flying day such as a sanctioned event etc., that we have a near 90* cross wind. Go Figger!

Best of luck. Enjoy!
Old 09-27-2004, 11:46 PM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

The membership manual gives you an idea and generally implies something over 44 acres, as you have been told. I have WATCHED IMAC guys fly at distances of over 1000 feet out in front and 1200 to 1500 feet on each side of the runway center. That drives the total area you need access and recovery rights to up quite a bit. You only need direct and total control over something like 12 acres, if you are not going to run a pylon event.

Good luck, I am in the middle of something similar.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:15 AM
alanroll

Currently, we fly 40-60 size sport and aerobatic airplanes. That may change in time but for now that's it. I was thinking a runway of 400' x 50'. Would that be adequate for our current needs?

Thanks for your response.
Old 09-28-2004, 05:51 PM
Jim Branaum

One of my clubs field has 263 feet of paved runway and that is enough for up to 90 sized, but I do fly 120 sized stuff there.
Old 09-28-2004, 06:46 PM
rcjon

I note that your member info indicates you are starting this club in NV and you have "substantial area". What you got about 44 square miles to work with<g>? I don't guess grass is an issue either.

I think for what you are intending, 50 feet wide is a little narrow, especially if you will at times have new pilots.
Old 09-28-2004, 07:59 PM
alanroll

Your input is much appreciated. Thanks
Old 09-28-2004, 08:07 PM
alanroll

Nevada is my winter address. We are actually talking about the mountains of N. California (4500'). The potential site is a closed county landfill which has been covered with dirt and will receive some sort of impervious cap. I don't know the exact acreage at this point but it is substantial.

Thanks for your input.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:11 PM
Jim Branaum

Ah, I don't mean to be a pain, but 50 feet wide is HUGE! The road in front of my house is only 16 feet wide and it serves as a great runway from time to time. The runway at my club's small field is around 25 feet wide and I train folks to land on it with ease.

In short a 50 foot wide runway means we could take off across the runway, which some do at the larger field.
Old 09-29-2004, 05:51 AM
rcjon

Ours is 150' wide and when I was learning it wasn't wide enough <g>. I suppose technically 3 feet wide is wide enough, but if it were me, I'd make it as wide as I could.
Old 09-29-2004, 10:19 AM
SDR-Hammer

One additional thing to consider is the flight line orientation. Here in MI our flight line is set up so we fly facing north. This keeps the sun towards our back during most of the year. Let me tell you after flying for many years facing south then joining a club that flys on the north side was a welcomed change. Not sure if this would have the same effect in your part of the country.

IMHO 50’ wide for a runway is plenty. If you haven’t considered this yet you may want to create a buffer zone between the runway and flight line.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:21 AM
Mike in DC

Take the dimensions in AMA pub 706 as bare minimums! In particular, the more room you can get between the flight line and the pits, the better. You'll be safer and feel more relaxed.