Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

How come my VP does not discuss national issues in MA?

AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

How come my VP does not discuss national issues in MA?

Old 09-30-2004, 05:22 PM
J_R

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default How come my VP does not discuss national issues in MA?

Ever wonder why your VP does not write about national AMA issues? The following is a motion that was passed (10-3) in 1997. The motion was to insert the one part into an existing rule.

Appendix II
Page one
Amended July, 1997
I. Motion to insert:
"All published columns by officers and staff shall be reviewed by the Publications Committee for accuracy of information presented."
-- To be inserted after paragraph 3, below.

1. Motion #(IV) It is hereby moved that the Policies for Model Aviation Officer and Executive Director columns as submitted by the Publications Committee be accepted.

2. Policies for Model Aviation Officer and Executive Director Columns.

3. The general presumption is that these columns should inform, educate, and even possibly entertain AMA members. The columns are not to be used for any kind of politicking, directly or by innuendo. Derogatory or questionable comments by one Executive Council member about other present (or prospective) Council members, regardless of kind or intent, should not be printed in Model Aviation.

4. All published columns by officers and staff shall be reviewed by the Publications Committee for accuracy of information presented.

5. Concerning the Elected Officers and the Executive Director:

• The President shall write about National and International modeling concerns.
In the President's column, the member can expect to read of major decisions affecting modelers and the Academy.

The President shall be the official spokesperson for the Executive Council.
If the Executive Council decides that dissemination is necessary concerning any
Council action, the President shall present the information in his column.

• The Executive Vice President shall write primarily about the financial news of the Academy and secondarily about National concerns.
The separate District Vice President's columns shall primarily contain information about
modeling within the individual V.P.s own district.
The individual V.P. may delegate the acutal writing of the column.

• The Executive Director shall write about the Headquarter's Operation.
Anything not in the Council's perogative and that relates directly to the operation of
AMA HQ will be the Executive Director's area of comment.

Page two
Accepted July, 1997

Mechanism for dealing with Officer and E.D. columns submitted for publication in Model Aviation.

Should an Officer or the Executive Director write a column that is felt to be wholly, or in part, in violation of the above Policies, the column shall be referred to the Publications Committee, for review.

The Publications Committee may decide that the material in question should be published as written.

If the Publisher still feels the material to be questionable, the entire Executive Council shall review and vote on the question.
At such review, a simple majority of those voting will ensure publication.

If the Publications Committee finds fault, the person submitting the column will be given the chance to edit it, for timely publication.
{Depending on time of submission and the publishing "window of opportunity",
the column may not be printed as scheduled.}

If the person submitting the column feels the material should be printed as submitted, the part(s) (or the entire column, as necessary) will be held until the entire council can vote on it's suitability. That vote shall take place as soon as possible, either at the next scheduled Executive Council meeting (the meeting immediately following the date the item was received at AMA HQ) or prior to that E.G. meeting by other means, such as {but not limited to} mail vote and vote by FAX
Old 09-30-2004, 08:22 PM
abel_pranger

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: How come my VP does not discuss national issues in MA?

ORIGINAL: J_R

Ever wonder why your VP does not write about national AMA issues? The following is a motion that was passed (10-3) in 1997. The motion was to insert the one part into an existing rule.
<snip>
JR-

Interesting........maybe that explains that all we get in the DVP columns is photos reduced beyond recognition and 'I attended the Snake's Navel MAC Annual Flea Market and Weenie Roast' kind of news. Frankly, I know of no intra-district issues at all. For at least a couple of decades that I have been a member of my district, there have been no issues that I have been made aware that affect the members of the district only and not every other AMA member nationally. This weird rule says nobody can write about national issues except the AMA President - no wonder DB behaves like an emperor. Same reason a dog licks his genitals: because he can.
I guess we owe Marc more than I realized. Without RCU, we would have to get Dave Mathewson's position on AMA issues after they have been filtered by Brown - just as we got (in MA) Fred Marks' expert input on lithium batteries.

Abel
Old 09-30-2004, 09:02 PM
F106A
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: How come my VP does not discuss national issues in MA?

That policy was adopted because previously the DVP's were really discussing the issues in their column, and sometimes it got really rough. There was also talk at various times to eliminate the VP's column's altogether and use the pages for another article, etc. Ah, those were the days.
Jon