Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Autonomous Models, Ruminated

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Autonomous Models, Ruminated

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 05:53 PM
abel_pranger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autonomous Models, Ruminated

From the minutes of the Feb 04 meeting of the AMA supreme council:

“Waiver Committee” and Associated Rules Relative to World Record Attempts

The difficulty here has to do primarily with the inclusion in the safety code of the prohibition for autonomous flight which is not prohibited under the FAI rules; we have effectively blocked the capability of an American modeler to set certain FAI records. Suggestions on how to handle this included establishing a process by which a waiver to that rule could be granted or removing from the safety code the item pertaining to the definition of model airplane which includes a reference to autonomous flight. The President is of the opinion that removing it from the safety code is the better option.
No comment, just

Abel
Old 03-04-2004, 06:42 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: Autonomous Models, Ruminated

I think I like how the president thinks!
Old 03-05-2004, 12:33 AM
Donovan Dow

I sorry, are we thinking about someone flying from Canada to Ireland under FAI rules? I have so much respect for Maynard Hill for his dedication, devotion and service to model aviation by all his major FAI record-breaking achievements over the years. Please read “Aviation Week and Technology” and other media.

Cheers
Don Dow
Ottawa Canada
Old 03-24-2004, 06:49 PM
Hal deBolt

Hi ya'll
Iy is good to see that run of the mill AMA members see the shortcoming of the autonomous
flight rule recently added to the safety code.
According to high level AMA officials such action would show terrorists that model airplanes
are capable of autonomous flying. What is overlooked is Maynard already displayed to the
intire world how true that was. Plus AMA engaged in the act and congratulated Maynard.!
An AMA basic cause is to promote model aviation by not resricting progress which objective
has been an asset all these years. Now a rule has been made that restricts setting a president
for anything more in the future. It is hoped that this is a simple oversight which needs correction,
We have proposed a rule change which would makr the need more palitable.
" Any model airplane in autonomous flight shall fly only within normal eyesight"
This rule change has been presented to the AMA. Will be interesting to see the reaction?
Hey, know AMA is basically good and we surely need it!
How's zat?

Hal
Old 03-25-2004, 12:56 PM
abel_pranger

Hi Hal-
First I want to thank you for your part in inspiring me to get into R/C modeling with your spiffy designs and DMECO kits (won't say how long I've owed you that...). Proceeds from caddying (@ $5 per 18 hole 2- bagger) soon had one in my eager hands; I got to admire it in the box for a long time before I could afford a Controlaire Mule kit radio to control it with!
What the rationale was behind the rule against autonomous model control has changed with each telling, along with the direction of finger pointing as to who was responsible for it. Whatever and whomever, the potential adverse consequences were obviously not given due consideration, as you have pointed out. IMHO, Brown's musing "...that removing it from the safety code is the better option" seems like the right way to go. Not that I don't think the option you presented would be a very big step in the right direction. It would remove an arbitrary impediment to the aerial photography enthusiasts and the engineering student competitions, but still stands in the way of those dreamers that might aspire to challenge Maynard Hill's record(s). I'd like to see it kept in your back pocket as a compromise proposal if the EC doesn't do away with the rule altogether.

Abel
Old 11-04-2004, 12:02 PM
dave jones

Guys
The AMA election is coming down to the wire and we need to keep the momentum going if you would like to continue your work with UAVs and video enhanced flight then you need to get your vote in for Mr. Dave Mathewson if you have not cast your vote for the office of AMA president then please do it now.
Please pass this on to all of your modeling friends and your club members regardless if they are involved in autonomous or video enhanced flight or not, they make up the vast majority of our membership please ask them to visit Mr.Mathewson web site at www.mathewson4pres.com. and if they do not have a a computer then please ask them to vote for him in this very important election. Ask them to past this on to all of there modeling friends. It's very important that we reach as many members who have not yet exercised their right to vote. It's very important to point out in your email that the ballots need to be postmarked by no later then next Friday, November 12, 2004 and will only count if they're mailed to the address on the front of the ballot no postage required. You do not have to renew your AMA member to vote in this 2004 election. Please get those ballets in the Mail now. One last thing if we have to 4 more years of Dave Brown you could very well see your work with autonomous and video enhanced flight come to a screeching halt, even if you are not flying at an AMA site so please get those ballets in and vote for Dave Mathewson.
Dave Jones