Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Frank Tiano speaks in RC Report Magazine

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Frank Tiano speaks in RC Report Magazine

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 03:00 PM
J_R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frank Tiano speaks in RC Report Magazine

Excerpt reprinted from Frank Tiano's column (page 33) in the current issue of RC Report Magazine, with permission.

"On another AMA matter, please be sure you vote this year. In the last presidential race, less than 15% of the membership voted! If any of us have any pet projects we think need attention, or if there are any problems you think need correcting, you can help yourself by voting for the man you think will do the most to give us the change(s) we're looking for. As for me, I know I'm a bit controversial, but I do think it's time for a change. I believe that the man sitting in the president's chair should be a guy who flies model airplanes, and flies them often! I think he has to be someone who listens to guys with interests other than his own. I think he needs to look toward the future, see what we're doing, see if we're doing it safely, and keep an open mind to change(s) and progress. I think we need a guy who has a head on his shoulders. With that in mind, after much research and deliberation, I urge scale modelers to vote for Dave Mathewson as our new AMA President.
"Here in my own district, I can't think of anyone who will do a better job for scale modelers and other as District VP than a guy who flies and is involved in our hobby/sport on a daily basis than Tony Stillman. If you do the research and find that you've got a better choice to lead us for the next several years, then by all means go for it! But please, please, please... be sure and vote."
Old 10-12-2004, 04:50 PM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Frank Tiano speaks in RC Report Magazine

ORIGINAL: J_R

SNIP

I know I'm a bit controversial, but I do think it's time for a change.

SNIP
Frank Tiano IS somewhat controversial and it IS time for a change are just the latest of many things he and I agree on.

There have been many things in the last few years that simply did not meet the smell test for many modelers in different segments of our hobby to stay on the current course. Look at the recent approach to rules making rather than modeling for examples that fit your style in this hobby. Look at the candidates' statements that suggest more rules and more regulation rather than more modeling. The choice is as clear as Frank says it is.
Old 10-14-2004, 06:34 PM
Joe Nagy

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Everyone;

Greetings to All from the 'Valley of the Sun'.

Thank You Frank, I VOTED!

And I voted for Dave Brown; someone I know personally and trust implicitly. Herein, during our troubled times, the last thing we need is change, or something/someone new. I'm sticking with someone I know, and like the AMA the way it is, and has been under Dave Brown during his past terms of Office.

Best regards to All, from a lifelong [50+++ years] modeler, into RC since '68, and one who loves the hobby dearly, and all the happiness it has brought me over the years, and wishes only the very best for it and the AMA; Dave Brown is my kind of Guy!

Joe Nagy.
Old 10-14-2004, 06:47 PM
rw Guinn

hard to argue with that logic. Impossible to change that mind.
Mine went the other way. That too, is life.
Old 10-14-2004, 07:22 PM
Jim Messer
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Joe:

Either I cancelled your vote, or you cancelled mine. I, like you, have been an AMA member since 1941, (that's 63 consecutive years), and I have known several of the past presidents and AVP's. Like you, I voted for a guy that I know personally, and that is Dave Mathewson. I have no quarrels with the AMA, and I have stated such many times on these forums. However, I know that Dave Mathewson is the best man for the job, and I hope he wins.
Old 10-14-2004, 07:50 PM
Woody218
My Feedback: (24)

the last thing we need is change, or something/someone new
That's precisely why I voted for Dave Mathewson. We've had too many years of "more of the same".
Old 10-15-2004, 09:17 AM
BillHarris

> Herein, during our troubled times, the last thing we need is change...

Unless the trouble is the incumbent. I cancelled your vote, and freed up Jim Messer's vote.

--Bill Harris
AMA 607983 and proud of it.
District 5 and embarrassed. Let's change that!

Vote Tony Stillman for VP
Dave Mathewson for AMA Pres

"Dave Brown, step down"
Old 10-15-2004, 11:26 AM
J_R

ORIGINAL: Joe Nagy

Hi Everyone;

Greetings to All from the 'Valley of the Sun'.

Thank You Frank, I VOTED!

And I voted for Dave Brown; someone I know personally and trust implicitly. Herein, during our troubled times, the last thing we need is change, or something/someone new. I'm sticking with someone I know, and like the AMA the way it is, and has been under Dave Brown during his past terms of Office.

Best regards to All, from a lifelong [50+++ years] modeler, into RC since '68, and one who loves the hobby dearly, and all the happiness it has brought me over the years, and wishes only the very best for it and the AMA; Dave Brown is my kind of Guy!

Joe Nagy.
Hi Joe

I too know Dave Brown, and I too have respect for him. He did a great job for a long time… BUT… something changed. As many of his better known friends have stated, it is time for him to step down. Many of us who will continue to consider him a friend know he was right when he agreed that three terms were enough. Over the last couple of years, he has taken positions, and then refused to change his mind in the face of facts, or the opinions of experts. This is not the Dave Brown that led us in the past. This is not the Dave Brown that was able to consistently guide the EC to a consensus. He has taken independent action and had those actions reversed several times. This is not the Dave Brown of the past.

When such a diverse group of people… well know modelers and leaders… like Hal deBolt, Don Lowe, John Worth, Bob Aberle ,Larry Davidson, Jef Raskin, Jean Pailet, Leon Shulman, Horrace Cain, Fred Marks and Frank Tiano, to name only a very few, come together to endorse change in the person of Dave Mathewson, there is a reason.

Regardless of whether Dave Brown wins or loses, I will continue to consider him a friend, but the time has come for change.

Dave Mathewson is the man to lead the AMA into the future and the time is now.
Old 10-16-2004, 04:43 AM
BillHarris

J_R--

I'm a small fish in a big pond. I'm nobody famous. I've never even met DB face to face. But I agree with you assessment 101%: the ship of the AMA has lost it's rudder and we've gotten off course. You can't lead by "the my way or the highway" diplomacy.

These are interesting times. I read discussions here and there is a real movement for change, and change for the better. Speaking of leadership, I have been impressed with the guidance that you have shown in this forum. Politicks is a rough topic and you've defused a few brawls... thanks.

--Bill Harris
AMA 607983 and proud of it. Keep it up.
Old 10-16-2004, 08:00 AM
fliers1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: BillHarris

J_R--

I'm a small fish in a big pond. I'm nobody famous. I've never even met DB face to face. But I agree with you assessment 101%: the ship of the AMA has lost it's rudder and we've gotten off course. You can't lead by "the my way or the highway" diplomacy.

These are interesting times. I read discussions here and there is a real movement for change, and change for the better. Speaking of leadership, I have been impressed with the guidance that you have shown in this forum. Politicks is a rough topic and you've defused a few brawls... thanks.

--Bill Harris
AMA 607983 and proud of it. Keep it up.
Even after DB wrote this article, he didn't seem to have anything to worry about in getting re-elected, over and over and over again. I have it from very reliable sources that Dave Mathewson already has a very workable solution.

CCR
AMA# 120734
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki17872.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	324.5 KB
ID:	183257  
Old 10-16-2004, 11:22 PM
Hossfly

https://www.modelaircraft.org/member...0/00000009.JPG
Even after DB wrote this article, he didn't seem to have anything to worry about in getting re-elected, over and over and over again. I have it from very reliable sources that Dave Mathewson already has a very workable solution.
You're correct there CCR! However there are a significant number of CL & FF modelers that will vote and will vote against that which they perceive as the RCer's main choice. Why, I know not, yet the attitude of those that rather shoot their own foot than support some individual with whom they have a personality clash, is evidenced right here on this forum on a daily rate.

Unfortunately the vast majority of RC people belong to AMA simply to fly at some club's flying facility, and have enough problems just sending in their AMA Dues Renewal prior to the first sunny days of early Spring. In most cases it seems that the ballot goes with the dues. AMA only retains the dues![>:]
Therefore, the numbers voting control the election which may or may not reflect the true needs/desires of the overall large group. In this case the results create uneasy situations for those RC modelers that do have the interest to vote simply because the vast majority of their RC brethren allow minority control over the entire election processes due to the actual majority's withdrawal of voting service.

Due mostly to this forum's low evidence of reader interest and partly because of the refusal of the moderators to allow AMA discussion or referral in the other forums, I seriously doubt that the above will be changed in this election period.
Old 10-17-2004, 01:16 AM
abel_pranger

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

<snip>

Unfortunately the vast majority of RC people belong to AMA simply to fly at some club's flying facility, and have enough problems just sending in their AMA Dues Renewal prior to the first sunny days of early Spring. In most cases it seems that the ballot goes with the dues. AMA only retains the dues![>:]
Hoss-
Why do you regard that as unforunate and how would you have it differently?

Abel
Old 10-17-2004, 10:37 AM
rw Guinn

ORIGINAL: abel_pranger

<snip>

Hoss-

Abel
I'll take a stab at it:
Any organization worth joining (paid or not) is worth supporting--with word and deed. Even if all it does is provide you with a place to play (As opposed to work), it is worth working for, and being knowlegable about its workings, whether it be Model airplane or golf club, bridge club, NRA, or even PETA-like orgs.
If you don't support it, learn about it, and take an active part in it, events can overtake you, and the "play" gets overshadowed by the politics. Keep on top of things, and the likelyhood of surprises becomes minimized.
Old 10-17-2004, 01:42 PM
abel_pranger

ORIGINAL: rw Guinn

I'll take a stab at it:
Any organization worth joining (paid or not) is worth supporting--with word and deed. Even if all it does is provide you with a place to play (As opposed to work), it is worth working for, and being knowlegable about its workings, whether it be Model airplane or golf club, bridge club, NRA, or even PETA-like orgs.
If you don't support it, learn about it, and take an active part in it, events can overtake you, and the "play" gets overshadowed by the politics. Keep on top of things, and the likelyhood of surprises becomes minimized.
Hi Roger-
I pretty much agree with all you said. My question was really poorly stated. Rather than asking why the situation (lack of member participation in the organization) is unfortunate, I should have asked why that situation IS.
I have some clues........
A difference between AMA and the other organizations you mentioned is that the people that belong to the latter joined by choice. and that in itself involves a motivation to support the organization. Many AMA members would not belong if given a free choice, and so the relatively larger proportion of the total membership that doesn't care to actively participate, as compared to other organizations, isn't hard to understand. Sure, they have a choice of sorts, but it's like the choice one has in belonging to a Homeowner's Association. You don't have to be a member - you always have the option to sell your home and move out of the neighborhood.
Another difference I see is more easily explained by way of example. Compare two AMA clubs (hypothetical of course), Club A governed in democratic fashion by the members themselves, and Club B governed by an elected Board of Dictators..er.........Directors. A meeting of Club A involves a lot of lively interaction between the members, is well attended and usually takes an hour or two. Issues raised are generally resolved before the meeting closes. At a meeting of Club B, the President says a few words about what the BOD has decided about some issue, announces any new rules they have made, and asks if anybody has any new business. There rarely is any from the members in attendance. The Treasurer gives his report, there is the pro forma call for a motion of approval, and then a motion to adjourn. Meeting ET - five or ten minutes. Which club does AMA more resemble?
There are differences between groups within the population of AMA members as to active vs. passive participation. I often hear that voter turnout among the CL and FF groups is much higher than for the general population, which is mostly R/C sport fliers. I suspect a factor at work here is that a greater proportion of the CL and FF fliers are involved in competition. Competition rules are made by the participants themselves, rather than by a BOD. Any question as to why they take a more active role in supporting the organization?

Abel
Old 10-17-2004, 03:07 PM
Jim Branaum

I'll take a stab at it:
Hi Roger-
I pretty much agree with all you said. My question was really poorly stated. Rather than asking why the situation (lack of member participation in the organization) is unfortunate, I should have asked why that situation IS.
I have some clues........
A difference between AMA and the other organizations you mentioned is that the people that belong to the latter joined by choice. and that in itself involves a motivation to support the organization. Many AMA members would not belong if given a free choice, and so the relatively larger proportion of the total membership that doesn't care to actively participate, as compared to other organizations, isn't hard to understand. Sure, they have a choice of sorts, but it's like the choice one has in belonging to a Homeowner's Association. You don't have to be a member - you always have the option to sell your home and move out of the neighborhood.
Another difference I see is more easily explained by way of example. Compare two AMA clubs (hypothetical of course), Club A governed in democratic fashion by the members themselves, and Club B governed by an elected Board of Dictators..er.........Directors. A meeting of Club A involves a lot of lively interaction between the members, is well attended and usually takes an hour or two. Issues raised are generally resolved before the meeting closes. At a meeting of Club B, the President says a few words about what the BOD has decided about some issue, announces any new rules they have made, and asks if anybody has any new business. There rarely is any from the members in attendance. The Treasurer gives his report, there is the pro forma call for a motion of approval, and then a motion to adjourn. Meeting ET - five or ten minutes. Which club does AMA more resemble?
There are differences between groups within the population of AMA members as to active vs. passive participation. I often hear that voter turnout among the CL and FF groups is much higher than for the general population, which is mostly R/C sport fliers. I suspect a factor at work here is that a greater proportion of the CL and FF fliers are involved in competition. Competition rules are made by the participants themselves, rather than by a BOD. Any question as to why they take a more active role in supporting the organization?

Abel

Now I will add my $.02 worth to this conversation. I agree with both of you, but have a slightly different picture.

The real problem is NOT the clubs or the AMA, but those who are sure THEIR way is the only way and who will do anything (including misleading, misdirecting, and misrepresenting) to make it so in the club and by extension the AMA.

Those guys tend to move the clubs and the AMA from developing the hobby and its participants to creating another place to practice their personal power politics. That is what tends to drive productive members elsewhere because they would prefer to model and fly to playing power games with others. Most are in this hobby from stress filled environments and club politics can tend to be just another source of stress that can be ignored by moving elsewhere. I wish this were not true, but the sun still comes up in the east.

Both of Abel's clubs exist and one even runs the AMA. Guess which one.

Old 10-17-2004, 05:44 PM
Hossfly

<snip>

Hoss-

Abel
While all the discussion about this question is all well and good, since the question was asked of me, I will attempt to clarify myself. (Yuck, do I sound like Kerry? )

IMO it is unfortunate that more people don't have the motivation, for whatever reason, to be all that knowledgeable about the politics.
Roger G. said it all very well: "Any organization worth joining (paid or not) is worth supporting--with word and deed. Even if all it does is provide you with a place to play (As opposed to work), it is worth working for, and being knowlegable about its workings,..."

(OTOH I quit the JB Society because of being unable to support two of their initiatives and I don't really do much for NRA other than financial support)

Differently? My first choice would be a combination of the two choices below.

My second choice would be that all AMA Members would be so excited about the AMA that they would keep an eye on all the politics and erase any official not doing the job he/she was elected to do, or evidenced a focus on personal gain more so than the promotion of model aviation and its requirements.

Third choice would be that elected officers would be so excited and motivated about promoting model aviation that there would never be a need for the membership to keep an eye on them.

Fourth choice would be that when the levies on personal and club rights become more than reasonable, then the membership would pay some sincere attention to those individuals that present both real and potential problems among the hierarchy, and such membership would use their ballots to throw the bad-guys back on the street.

However being a realist, I know that my idealism only results in a sad disappointment.

edited for grammar and one addition.
Old 10-17-2004, 06:10 PM
rw Guinn

Abel
But I have to disagree on a couple of points here:
1. You do not have to join the AMA to fly model aircraft. Period. On Federal land and National Forests and Grasslands, yea, verily, even National Parks, activities which are not expressly forbidden are permitted (except hunting in National Parks). There is a lot of US Government land out there. I can fly my model airplanes anywhere I want, with no silly restrictions. I just have to be prepared to pay the consequences if I cause problems.
IF I want to join my local, NRA chartered gun club, guess what? at least 50% of the membership must be NRA-and you won't make many friends at the club if you don't join. If I want to take part in club activities, be it golf, flying, shooting, sailing, whatever, I have to join that club and abide by its rules.
2. At any incorporated club, you will see the type of business you described. There may be some interaction at meetings, depending on the State Laws and the way the charter and bylaws read, but in every State I know of, there is a phrase to the effect "The Board of Directors conducts the business of the Club"
I know, I was president of a 450 member Hunting and Fishing club when we had to eliminate the beer keg at meetings (Meetings were always a dinner meeting) due to liability issues. No one at the meeting had less than a 10 mile drive to get home--and impaired drivers on the road is not a good thing. If the BOD had left that to the membership, do you think it would have happened?
Old 10-17-2004, 09:00 PM
abel_pranger

But I have to disagree on a couple of points here:
1. You do not have to join the AMA to fly model aircraft. Period. On Federal land and National Forests and Grasslands, yea, verily, even National Parks, activities which are not expressly forbidden are permitted (except hunting in National Parks). There is a lot of US Government land out there. I can fly my model airplanes anywhere I want, with no silly restrictions. I just have to be prepared to pay the consequences if I cause problems.
IF I want to join my local, NRA chartered gun club, guess what? at least 50% of the membership must be NRA-and you won't make many friends at the club if you don't join. If I want to take part in club activities, be it golf, flying, shooting, sailing, whatever, I have to join that club and abide by its rules.
2. At any incorporated club, you will see the type of business you described. There may be some interaction at meetings, depending on the State Laws and the way the charter and bylaws read, but in every State I know of, there is a phrase to the effect "The Board of Directors conducts the business of the Club"
I know, I was president of a 450 member Hunting and Fishing club when we had to eliminate the beer keg at meetings (Meetings were always a dinner meeting) due to liability issues. No one at the meeting had less than a 10 mile drive to get home--and impaired drivers on the road is not a good thing. If the BOD had left that to the membership, do you think it would have happened?
Hi Roger-
I don't see any disagreement between us re your point #1. I said that one who would choose not to be a member of AMA has the option of packing up and getting outta Dodge. If that differs from what you said, it is a difference too subtle for me to grok. Kind of like when when the moderator during one of the recent presidential debates asked Kerry for specifics of lies he has accused the president of making. His reply was to the effect that he never said Bush was lying, just that he wasn't telling the truth. The difference is apparently of some great significance to him, but the net effect of making this distinction went over my head.
Regarding your point #2, I was not aware that the legal ramifications of incorporating required a BOD to conduct the business of an organization to the exclusion of input from the hoi polloi members of that organization, which your statement seems to infer. Not saying you're wrong about that, and in fact some members of the AMA EC operate fully in accord with view. Candidate for AMA president BO stated explicitly that the right of AMA members to exert influence over the operation of the organization is properly restricted to voting for someone to represent their district on the AMA BOD. Perhaps he is right and the groundswell of support for Matthewson, who seems to consider what the members think counts for something, is misguided. I do hope not, though.

Abel
Old 10-18-2004, 05:03 AM
BillHarris

> You do not have to join the AMA to fly model aircraft. Period. On Federal land and National Forests...

Good point, Abel. Although I support the AMA (with serious reservations, though), let's face it, it is optional. We can fly at other than "AMA approved fields". Most of us have insurance which makes the AMA insurance secondary. We have had little or no say in policy and decisions made.

I belong to the Walker County RC Association. Although most members are AMA, it is not a requirement for membership. There have been efforts in the past to get an AMA charter, but there has not been a lot of support. We fly on land used by a gentleman's agreement and change fields every few years. Our field layout does adhere to the AMA Safety Code provisions.

--Bill Harris
AMA 607983 and proud of it.
District 5 and embarrassed. Let's change that!

Tony Stillman for D-5 VP
Dave Mathewson for AMA President.

"Dave Brown, step down"