AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

CA Glue Can Make You Sick????

Old 10-13-2004, 07:50 AM
Dangerboy
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default CA Glue Can Make You Sick????

Is it possible that Cyanoacrylate glue (CA) can make you sick?? I haven’t been in the hobby very long, but I am hearing of more and more people that are exposed to CA over long periods of time (while putting models together) are developing upper respiratory ailments and other conditions such as vertigo. Is there any one that you know of, or any other threads that have addressed this potentially bad situation? I have switched to odorless CA mainly because I am working with foamys. Is this something the AMA needs to look at?
Old 10-13-2004, 07:58 AM
Mike in DC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: CA Glue Can Make You Sick????

At this point, both from reading the forums here, and my own personal experience, I would say it is certain that CA can make you sick. But so can gasoline and a lot of other chemicals. If you use CA and you value your health, you must take precautions.

I'm not really sure what the AMA can do, though. I can't see adding another rule to the Safety Code: "I will not use CA glue unless I am wearing an AMA-approved respirator and have positioned a fan that provides a minimum of 17 cubic feet per minute airflow over my work bench."
Old 10-13-2004, 08:05 AM
Dangerboy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

How about something in terms of listing it as a potential risk? That seems reasonable considering that gas and other toxic chemicals come with that warning. I don't mean to sound overly cautious or fanatical, but I've never read anything that says using CA can or will make you sick. Vertigo is some pretty bad stuff.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:17 AM
stang

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have been using the stuff since the 70's with no problems (knock on wood)
I keep a small fan blowing over my work area though, maybe that helps. I have heard that the odorless stuff is just as bad, it just doesn't smell. Does anyone know if this is true?
Old 10-13-2004, 10:01 AM
abel_pranger

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Dangerboy

How about something in terms of listing it as a potential risk? That seems reasonable considering that gas and other toxic chemicals come with that warning. I don't mean to sound overly cautious or fanatical, but I've never read anything that says using CA can or will make you sick. Vertigo is some pretty bad stuff.
Allergic reactions to CA are not uncommon, and have been discussed at length in forums like rec.models.rc.air, and IIRC, the subject has been broached by AMA in MA as well. Also recall an article about it and other inhalation hazards in the model shop that was written by an MD for RC Report several months ago. As you were not aware of it and I'm sure you aren't alone, it seems like it needs to be brought up again as a refresher. As for warnings as in labels, I think they have become so omnipresent that nobody notices them anyway. I did notice the label on a package of muffins I opened for breakfast that said they were baked in bakery that uses peanuts. I suppose there is some small fraction of their customers that might be concerned about this, and a much smaller fraction of them that would notice it.

stang - I seen testimonials from some using the odorless CA to the effect that it doesn't bother them. Of course being aware of their allergy to CA fumes, they've undoubtedly taken other precautions llike ensuring adequate ventilation and/or using a mask, so it may not be so clear that the odorless formula is any better.

Abel
Old 10-13-2004, 10:04 AM
F106A
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi,
I'm alergic to CA. If I use it for more than 10 minutes, about 12 hours later I start sneezing and my nose starts running. If I get a good dose, it's like I have the flu, the symptons last about two days. As a result, it's Titebond for me!
Frank Tiano told me that the orodless has some chemical added to the CA to mask the smell. I don't know what is added, but it doesn't help in my case.
You can contact the manufacturer and get a Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) that will list potential medical problems for short and long term exposure.
Jon
Old 10-13-2004, 11:03 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Dangerboy

What you want is the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet). Call the manufacturer and ask for it, they are required by law to have it available.
Old 10-14-2004, 12:10 AM
BasinBum

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

For a guy that goes by "Dangerboy" you sure are worrisome. Why is this in the AMA forum, do you want the AMA to publish a warning about CA? Maybe Dave B. will write one to go along with his infamous Li-Poly warning. Get the MSDS, read it and than go get some oderless CA. Better yet get some ambroid and smell that for a while, you'll forget all about the dangers involved, I promise.
Old 10-14-2004, 12:57 AM
J_R

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi BB

Have you ever even seen Ambroid? Just curious. (Howed you get to know so much at yer age?)

30 years ago the AMA used to run a safety column each month. The subject of "hot stuff", I think the only CA for a while, was discussed several times, as were things like sticking fingers in props and adjusting engines from behind. I digress... anyway... most major manufacturers post their MSDS on their website. I doubt there is much difference in CA from brand to brand where the MSDS might be involved. Might save a call or letter.
Old 10-14-2004, 01:01 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: BasinBum

Get the MSDS, read it and than go get some oderless CA.

Hey Sherlock

The man HAS been using oderless.
Old 10-14-2004, 04:06 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Enter "cyanoacrylates Material Safety Data Sheet " in Google.

1 - General Information:
Chemical Name: Cyanoacrylate
General Deescription: Supper Glue, Instant glue, Instant Adhesive

9 - Health Hazard Data:

Toxicity: Bonds skin rapidly and strongly.
Skin and eye irritant
Estimated oral LD50 greater than 5,000 mg/kg
Estimated dermal LD50 greater than 2,000 mg/kg
Prinary routes of entry: N/A
Signs and Symptoms of exposure: Vapour is irritating to the eyes and mucous membranes above TLV. Prolonged and repeated overexposure to vapors may produce allergic reactions with asthma like symptoms in sensitive individuals
Old 10-14-2004, 07:35 AM
Dangerboy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Bum,
The reason I brought this thread up is because I HAVE switched to odorless. I brought this thread up under AMA Discussions because far and wide, this forum tends to attract the more mature, intellectual even cerebral members of the hobby. I respect most of the members here and try to learn from their expertise. So, for me…this is the most appropriate forum. As far as the MSDS, I did look it up before posting here and found nothing related CA causing Vertigo. Until April of last year I had never experienced Vertigo until I went down with it for four days. It was a very unpleasant experience. Since that time, I have heard of several other modelers experiencing vertigo and just last week, I went down with it again even after switching to odorless. Bum, I don’t know if you are anyone close to you has experienced this ailment, but it’s pretty bad stuff. I wouldn’t generalize someone’s comment as “worrisome” realizing there may be something behind the question. Superman has his kryptonite…. for Dangerboy, it seems to be CA in any flavor.
Old 10-14-2004, 07:58 AM
backfire

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I get the same reactions. Also, if I let the 'smoke' waft over my hands, I get an itching rash that can hang around for a week. A fan helps a lot. I use CA outdoors when I can.
Old 10-14-2004, 09:09 AM
BasinBum

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Danger,
You mentioned Vertigo but didn't say you actually had it. I know how debilitating it can be and understand your concern. As far as a link to CA and the inner ear you'd have to consult a doctor but from ten years of teaching scuba and knowing of several cases of vertigo there are many times a mechanical cause.

As for the folks in the AMA forum being mature, are we reading the same forum? . As for odorless, I guess I missed that one in your original post.
Old 10-14-2004, 10:36 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

"As for odorless, I guess I missed that one in your original post."
No guessing here bud.... YOU did MISS.... HMMM...been working with ambroid too...What else do you guess?

You sure are full of....YOURSELF...get out and see the light.
Old 10-14-2004, 10:49 AM
BasinBum

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Even JR posts in forums other than this one sometimes. Maybe we should both get out and see the light.
Old 10-14-2004, 11:15 AM
abel_pranger

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

<snip>
As for the folks in the AMA forum being mature, are we reading the same forum? As for odorless, I guess I missed that one in your original post.
Good, BB. Nothing makes your point like a good demonstration.[>:]

Abel
Old 10-14-2004, 11:24 AM
Crashem

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

BB,

What ever did you do to get on Crank's "list" BAAAD BOY
Old 10-14-2004, 11:26 AM
ghost_rider
My Feedback: (20)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Gentlemen

Let's get back to the original topic. Any post that deviates from contributing towards the original question would be deleted.

Thanks in advance for your understanding.

Best Regards

Ben
Old 10-14-2004, 11:50 AM
BasinBum

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

JR,
I built my first RC plane (a Sterling Fledgeling) with Duco Cement. Does that count?
Old 10-14-2004, 12:17 PM
Crashem

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ghost_rider

Gentlemen

Let's get back to the original topic. Any post that deviates from contributing towards the original question would be deleted.

Thanks in advance for your understanding.

Best Regards

Ben

Then maybe you should consider deleting your own since it contributes nothing towards the original question.

Old 10-14-2004, 01:41 PM
Live Wire

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hellow Fellow RC'ers
Just out of the hospital and they have not found any connection with CA and Virtigo. It is no fun and a bad case can last a long time, you can not do anything you like to do like flying, driving or even walking. I had every test they could make and they found nothing. Even a brain scan and nothing?????????????????? Water on both inner ears and I don't even live in Florida
I have to go back in to weeks to see if there is any thing flying around up there. Will let you all know if we find there is a connection.
Old 10-14-2004, 02:15 PM
BasinBum

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: RC Outlaw

Even a brain scan and nothing??????????????????
Outlaw,
Nobody here is surprised.
Old 10-14-2004, 02:19 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

HAW!

Where ya been, RC Outlaw!!
Old 10-14-2004, 03:27 PM
Live Wire

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Really I just got out of the Hospital!!!! no fun. The only one's that enjoyed it was the Dr and Hospital.
BB
I wish they could have found something I guess you will have to put up with the same old me. This is one thing they did not tell me that I could not do.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service