Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA Trial Membership

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA Trial Membership

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 11:02 AM
canopy2k
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AMA Trial Membership

Just a warning to anyone considering the AMA trial membership.
I purchased this membership at the beginning of the year as I was just getting started in the hobby and didnt really know if I woud like it or not. Seemed like a good idea. I used the TM for a about 2 1/2 months. Some other things came up in my life and I laid off for a while. I finally joined the AMA for real in about June. Mainly because I wanted to join a local club. I read that if you purchase an AMA membership in different parts of the year, the next year would be given a discount, or pro-rated. So imagine my surprise when I received my renewal notice, and there was no discount. I fired off a letter to Colleen Pierce to find out the situation. She is out of town till Monday, so I got a reply from Lois Pierce. She said I was not allowed the pro-rate or discount, because my membership was considered a renewal. I wrote back asking how it seemed justified to pay nearly 80.00 for about 9 months of membership, and then not get a discount. Lois responded that she needed to move it up the chain to Colleen. In my estimation, the trial membership program is a waste of money. Dont do it! Ill keep you posted with what I hear on Monday.
C2K
Old 10-08-2004, 12:51 PM
J_R

Default RE: AMA Trial Membership

canopy2k

Did you read the trial membership application? It states in part:

Program Overview:
$19.95 cost for duration of program Membership valid for 3 months from date of acceptance, expires at end of 3rd full month, USA only. Fees are transferable to a full membership within the ninety day program (You must contact the AMA Membership department at 1-87-RENEWAMA (1-877-363-9262) before your trial membership expires).

https://www.modelaircraft.org/trialmemberapp.aspx
Old 10-08-2004, 01:25 PM
canopy2k

Yes I did read that. I understood that since I waited after the 3 months ended, I would pay in full for an AMA membership. However, I did not read anywhere that it voided the discount process. I think my point really is, there is no reason for a trial membership. Either go full boat or not. For only $38 more you get the whole year, plus a discount on the next year, if you were to join in June. Or whenever. Just seems a little weak, you know. I feel like quite the dummy for paying $80 for what I could have had for $60. Just wanted to make others aware so no one else has to look in the mirror at a dummy!
Old 10-08-2004, 02:17 PM
abel_pranger

ORIGINAL: canopy2k

Yes I did read that. I understood that since I waited after the 3 months ended, I would pay in full for an AMA membership. However, I did not read anywhere that it voided the discount process. I think my point really is, there is no reason for a trial membership. Either go full boat or not. For only $38 more you get the whole year, plus a discount on the next year, if you were to join in June. Or whenever. Just seems a little weak, you know. I feel like quite the dummy for paying $80 for what I could have had for $60. Just wanted to make others aware so no one else has to look in the mirror at a dummy!
You're right, it's hardly a bargain at almost $7 per mo when regular membership is less than $5/mo, just for starters. Hardly a strong drawing card for the newbies it was intended to attract, and the low response to the program not surprisingly reflects that simple fact - seems somebody grossly overestimated the number of dummies with a tentative interest in being AMA members. It started out with good intentions, but then some hungry, amateur bean counters got their mitts on it.......if we are lucky they will soon be looking for something else to do. I'd suggest they seek something like exclusive distribution rights above 70 deg N lat for a line of refrigerators.

Abel
Old 10-08-2004, 02:30 PM
canopy2k

Hey, I just got offered a full commission job selling fridges in exactly that area. They say it is untouched, and almost no one owns fridge there. The market is wide open! Im moving next week. And I only have to pay them 10k for the opportunity! Im so excited! Just as excited as I was when I found the trial membership!
C2K
Old 10-08-2004, 07:36 PM
SoCal GliderGuider

Sucker!
Old 10-09-2004, 11:31 PM
SoCal GliderGuider

Still a sucker!
Old 10-12-2004, 06:57 PM
J_R

canopy2k

Have you heard anything fruther from the AMA?
Old 10-13-2004, 10:49 AM
canopy2k

Yes, I did. To my amazement, I received an E-Mail from Dave Mathewson on Friday morning. He said he was part of the committee that had come up with this program, and basically was surprised that they hadnt really thought about this happening. He fired off a few emails to people, and came up with a solution. He came back with this- Since I had originally purchased a trial membership in January 04, and then subsequently purchased a full membership in July 04, they would go by the original rules and allow a 50% prorate on '05 dues. So, my '05 membership will only cost $29. I must say I was quite impressed. I dont know if this is what they are going to do for everyone, as apparently they are still working out the details. I am sure glad he stood up for me. He seems to be the only candidate out there for prez that actually has any concern for the individual members. He gets my vote. (he would have anyway, but this really cements it!) Thanks Dave! And for everyone else in this situation, please send an email to Colleen Pierce or Joyce Hager at the AMA.
Old 10-16-2004, 09:36 AM
SoCal GliderGuider

The AMA sill do anything to take your money and control your flying. Or is it control your flying so they can take your money? Still violates the RICO Act.
Old 10-16-2004, 10:45 AM
Woody218
My Feedback: (24)

Better the AMA than some government entity.
Old 10-16-2004, 10:21 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: Woody218-RCU

Probably right, although I have encountered many that believe the AMA is an extension of the government. Heck the AMA does issue a license[sm=lol.gif]

Anyway I find it very disconcerting that there are many that will cite the LAW, as if government legislated, from some misconstrued interpretation of the Safety Code. It always amazes me how easily people will just roll over and give up their freedom without question. What is even more amazing is that there are those that knowingly perpetuate the fallacy under the guise that the AMA will save the hobby when in actuality the supporters of the AMA have and will continue increase its grip on the enthusiasts until only a relative few can participate. The AMA has had opportunities to allow the growth and prosperity for other sources of insures but chose to utilize exclusionary tactics instead. It probably will not be too far in the future that homeowner policies will expressly deny coverage for our hobby and the insurers for the AMA will tighten its grip causing a specialty insurance need…We all should know what that means.

So complacency should be enjoyed to full extent now....or....?
Old 10-16-2004, 10:52 PM
rw Guinn

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: Woody218-RCU

Probably right, although I have encountered many that believe the AMA is an extension of the government. Heck the AMA does issue a license[sm=lol.gif]

Anyway I find it very disconcerting that there are many that will cite the LAW, as if government legislated, from some misconstrued interpretation of the Safety Code. It always amazes me how easily people will just roll over and give up their freedom without question. What is even more amazing is that there are those that knowingly perpetuate the fallacy under the guise that the AMA will save the hobby when in actuality the supporters of the AMA have and will continue increase its grip on the enthusiasts until only a relative few can participate. The AMA has had opportunities to allow the growth and prosperity for other sources of insures but chose to utilize exclusionary tactics instead. It probably will not be too far in the future that homeowner policies will expressly deny coverage for our hobby and the insurers for the AMA will tighten its grip causing a specialty insurance need…We all should know what that means.

So complacency should be enjoyed to full extent now....or....?
If you don't hush yo mouf, you gonna have me cheering you on!
And that would be as bad as agreeing with Horrace! Wouldn't it?

As an example of what you describe, check out :
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Bipl...2207932/tm.htm

there are a large number of people who want to totally ban a guy for losing control of an airplane at a deserted field and crashing in the pits! They believe that the safety guidelines are laws: invariant. Forever. at all times.
"If somebody had actually been in the pits, he'd have hit them! is the common feeling. How ludicrous.
They would have had kittens when our safety officer played limbo with the sun shelter. Nobody there but about 4 of us. Perferctly safe for everyone but the airplane--and it had no feelings....
Pardon me, but my "recycled Alfafa" filter just saturated....

edited for spelling.
Old 10-17-2004, 01:38 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: rw Guinn

As an example of what you describe, check out :
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Bipl...2207932/tm.htm

rw

I know where you’re coming from for sure. Just a side note about something similar.

A few months ago, after everyone had left the field except one other, a good buddy, I decided to hover under and through the "hanger". I made sure my buddy was in a safe place and proceeded successfully and without incident. Although I hadn't swore my buddy to secrecy I didn't really figure he would tell anyone. I was later confronted by our safety officer about how unsafe the "stunt" was. Evidently my buddy could not resist telling someone and before long it got back to the SO. Our SO and I have a pretty good understanding for the most part but he felt obliged to set me straight, which I can appreciate, but absolutely no one was in danger. From now on an oath may be needed no cameras allowed LOL