AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Freq. Scanner question.....

Old 10-22-2004, 04:44 PM
imsofaman
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Freq. Scanner question.....

I was at a local field months ago, flying some of my planes, minding my own business. One of our members says to me..."Hey....your radio is bleeding into other channels....you are going to shoot someone down!" So.....our "president" lacking for a better word[:@].....say to get my radio serviced before coming back to the field. The guy in question had a freq. scanner.

I had my radio serviced.....it was fine. I was told that a cheap freq. scanner can not tell you if your radio is bad or not. This is coming from a guy who is trained to calibrate radios for a living. The guy at the field is just pushing his weight around (there is a lot to PUSH!) and in my opinion had no right to order me to shut off my radio and have it serviced.

Can a freq. scanner deterimine if your radio is bad?
Old 10-22-2004, 08:44 PM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Freq. Scanner question.....

Can you test your Tx with the "other channel" in question ? See if the servos chatter.

Any idea which type/model of scanner was used ?
Old 10-22-2004, 09:03 PM
imsofaman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You are missing the point of my post! It is not that I am having a problem with the radio.

That is NOT my point.

MY POINT IS THIS: You can NOT determine that a radio is faulty with a cheap hand held freq. scanner and that no one has the right to demand my radio to be serviced.
Old 10-22-2004, 09:22 PM
imsofaman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

No....I have no idea what scanner he was using. For this guy to be yelling loudly that I am going to make somebody crash was too much.[:@] Then to find out that he was full of s*** to begin with just made made things worse for me and how I felt about this club. To me.....a good club would have never let this kind of thing happen. Sorry for sounding so rude...I am still upset by the whole thing.
Old 10-23-2004, 08:36 AM
ALbert.S

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A frequency scanner WILL NOT do the job. A spectrum analyzer is what is used to see if your transmitter is on frequency and not splattering to the next channel.
Old 10-23-2004, 09:42 AM
imsofaman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thank you Albert! That is it in a nutshell!

My problem was that I trusted our president and his "side kick" because at the time, I did not know any better. Now that I do, it just really makes me mad that I was taken advatage and inconvenienced of by their lack of knowledge. I have mixed feelings of renewing my membership their. I just would like guys in the upper mangement of the AMA to know that things like this are going on. I may even just write a formal complaint....but if I do that....I will stir up even more trouble. I may just let it go.....
Old 10-23-2004, 03:16 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You would be doing yourself and other club members a service by borrowing an AMA frequency spectrum analyzer from your District Frequency coordinator then checking your transmitter and show him the side bands are within the limits and compare with all other radios used by your club members. Once your President sees this he should offer you an apology. If he does not you know what kind of a total jerk he really is and so will the rest of your club members. Check your transmitter at home first on the off chance that it is really way off frequency (very small chance). Compare with another friend's transmitter to see what the spread is.

Red S.

ORIGINAL: imsofaman

My problem was that I trusted our president and his "side kick" because at the time, I did not know any better. Now that I do, it just really makes me mad that I was taken advatage and inconvenienced of by their lack of knowledge. I have mixed feelings of renewing my membership their. I just would like guys in the upper mangement of the AMA to know that things like this are going on. I may even just write a formal complaint....but if I do that....I will stir up even more trouble. I may just let it go.....
Old 10-23-2004, 03:35 PM
imsofaman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes i agree with your suggestion. He will never appolagize even though he is wrong. He is one of the reasons why many people leave this club in question. It is a real shame. Honestly he is not worth the trouble.
Old 10-23-2004, 03:41 PM
Hossfly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Red has it right, however what made those guys think you were at fault, especially with just a scanner?

Did the interference stop when you turned off? How many adjacent channels did you interfere with? Did you check all that out.

Some years ago, while CDing a Competition Fun Fly, with a scanner on, a contestant came to fly and when he turned on, whistles, lights, and bells sounded through about 100KHZ on each side of his channel. Investigation brought out the fact that the gent. had been performing some "What makes it work?" maintenance on his transmitter and it was well broadcasting over several band widths. At that time things were not so regulated as today and he was allowed to fly but only alone. I would never allow such today.

So my point is why after your radio was serviced and found to be OK, did you simply not just prove that point to the club President rather than expect the AMA to take care of a local internal problem? Actually IMO, 40+ years as a CD and many other offices in that time, I think the President was well within his rights to act to protect the other fliers from a suspected potential problem. Once the NOT-GUILTY verdict is reached, then amends should be forthcoming, however that does require a mature attitude from both parties.
Old 10-23-2004, 03:55 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

People like you that ignore people like your President are the reason there are people like him. Personally I find eating idiots for lunch, especially in front of other people, very satisfying and well worth the trouble of preparation.

Was there any indication of interference from your transmitter? Or just the normal showing a signal on the scanner on other than your specific frequency. It is typical of these devices to do this a couple of channels away if you are the only transmitter nearby that is transmitting. Just like you will see someone's servos twitch on an adjacent or nearby channel when you are transmitting and their receiver is turned on and their transmitter is not.

S

Yes i agree with your suggestion. He will never appolagize even though he is wrong. He is one of the reasons why many people leave this club in question. It is a real shame. Honestly he is not worth the trouble.
Old 10-23-2004, 04:16 PM
imsofaman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

No...there we no glitches at all. What I did was took one of my planes up flew it around. Put that away...nobody was flying ...so I took up another one. While I was in the air....I was told I bleeding into other channels and for me to land. That was when I was told there was a problem with my radio. Like I said...they have been flying longer than me, so I trusted them.

I took it to a local guy who has been calibrating radios forever. He checked it right in front of me...telling me hew was checking this and that....then a narrow band or something...blah blah blah. When it was all over....he said it was fine. He also said those guys at my club have no clue and I should just forget them like many others are doing. I need to go back to get the certification, I was in such a hurry ...I did not. To up the anty one more...I will send it off to Horizon after I finish my current project and have them check it out. This will prove my point. And yes.....I am going to stick it in his a** when I get it back.

The other problem is this: A club has closed near us. Those members are try to join our club. A lot of people there on the weekend. Our president is TRYING to be an ass just so others will eventually quit. I am upset that he feels that I am one of those guys that he does not like. If I do prove my point....they know what channel I am on....they may try to shoot me down I am afraid. Not sure if I want ot go thru that or not. If that happens...I will go to jail for assult for sure.......this whole thing is just getting ugly for me.
Old 10-25-2004, 12:29 PM
Dave Mathewson

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Can a freq. scanner deterimine if your radio is bad?
Hi imsofaman,
Before I answered your question I wanted to run it by our District Frequency Coordinator, Dan Williams. Dan is eminently qualified to answer your question and a member of the AMA Frequency Committee. Here's his answer,

"Short answer? Nope - he can't tell.
No scanner can definitively tell whether a transmitter is out of calibration for bandwidth. To do that you would need a spectrum analyzer. GOOD scanners can tell if a radio is off frequency, but that's it.
Dan "

Dave
Old 10-25-2004, 05:29 PM
imsofaman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks Dave...I have stirred up so much crap with this whole situation. I took the radio to a local guy....but that is not good enough fo my club. So...I have my RA number to send it off to Horizon to get it checked out so there will be no question and I hope to be back in good standing with my club. I am a little hard headed at times and I was being spiteful once I found out they were wrong. I in turn I was wrong by stirring the pot with nasty emails back and forth. I decided to do the adult thing and just have it serviced. The season is done anyway now. So, thanks for the reply! Makes me feel better anyway! My radio goes out for service Wednesday.

Dave