Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Just my observations

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Just my observations

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 12:19 AM
RC4U

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just my observations

I hope when you become President you'll get someone to improve the website. When ever you leave the AMA homepage and go anywhere else the only way back to the homepage is when you click on AMA homepage the website opens a new window with the AMA homepage instead of just taking you home. Also, if you want a plan you need to know the year and month the plan was in the magazine. There should be a plans search function to allow you to search for a plan by the name of the plane. The whole website is lame.
Also, I started in RC back in 1981 with the Fort Worth Thunderbirds while working at General Dynamics, the whole focus was on everyone in the hobby from the beginning sport flyer to the guys who flew pattern ships. The comradere was terrific. It seems to me now the focus is either on cheap electric crap that puts more people away from RC and the 600 different types of Edge 330's out there. 3D, what the heck is that, thought it was an animation format. I can get a concrete block to fly in a hover by strapping a large enough engine to it. It used to be about performing the pefect split S or 4 point roll and the beauty of FLYING the aircraft with precision and landing on a dime. It was also about personal pride in building your model and flying something you created with your own two hands, not bought built out of a box.
I hope when and if you become president you'll put the fun back into funfly and turn this hobby around from catering to the people who can afford expensive planes (those of us that are older) to focus atleast a little on the average guy who wants to enjoy the hobby, have some friends and laughs without mortaging his house to pay for it. Maybe we'll see a resurgance in membership for more than the insurance or "it's required to fly here" and more so because of truly feeling a part of a fine and fun organzation.

Thank you.
Old 10-28-2004, 01:05 PM
Dave Mathewson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Just my observations

ORIGINAL: RC4U

I hope when you become President you'll get someone to improve the website. When ever you leave the AMA homepage and go anywhere else the only way back to the homepage is when you click on AMA homepage the website opens a new window with the AMA homepage instead of just taking you home. Also, if you want a plan you need to know the year and month the plan was in the magazine. There should be a plans search function to allow you to search for a plan by the name of the plane. The whole website is lame.
Also, I started in RC back in 1981 with the Fort Worth Thunderbirds while working at General Dynamics, the whole focus was on everyone in the hobby from the beginning sport flyer to the guys who flew pattern ships. The comradere was terrific. It seems to me now the focus is either on cheap electric crap that puts more people away from RC and the 600 different types of Edge 330's out there. 3D, what the heck is that, thought it was an animation format. I can get a concrete block to fly in a hover by strapping a large enough engine to it. It used to be about performing the pefect split S or 4 point roll and the beauty of FLYING the aircraft with precision and landing on a dime. It was also about personal pride in building your model and flying something you created with your own two hands, not bought built out of a box.
I hope when and if you become president you'll put the fun back into funfly and turn this hobby around from catering to the people who can afford expensive planes (those of us that are older) to focus atleast a little on the average guy who wants to enjoy the hobby, have some friends and laughs without mortaging his house to pay for it. Maybe we'll see a resurgance in membership for more than the insurance or "it's required to fly here" and more so because of truly feeling a part of a fine and fun organzation.

Thank you.
Hi RC,
Several of us have had heartburn with our website for well over a year now, especially those of us on the Publications Committee. Hopefully there's a light at the end of the tunnel. The majority of the work on our site now is outsourced to a company who, in my opinion, certainly didn't live up to the terms of our agreement by any stretch. I beleive we're in the process of correcting this although I would expect we won't see the results of this overnight.

Putting the fun back in the hobby is one of the reasons we created the Annual District 2 Fly In that we sponsor every year in my district. Our intent was to bring members together to meet each other, discuss each others club activities, and generally have a good time in a relaxing, non-competitive atmosphere. I think it's worked out quite well and I know the "average, everyday sport flyer" appreciates the effort.
Dave