AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.
View Poll Results: A poll
YES
71.79%
NO
15.38%
NOT AN AMA MEMBER
12.82%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Will you invest an hour or two?

Old 10-26-2004, 10:19 AM
J_R

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Will you invest an hour or two?

Most of you have voted. Are there enough votes cast to make a change? Probably not.

If you really want to influence this election, it is time to go to that last club meeting, or to the field, and try to get those that have not voted to do so. Find the members that have set their ballot aside, or do not know there is a ballot with their renewal, and encourage them to vote. The ballots must be in the mail by 11/12/04.

Are you willing to spend an hour or two trying to return the AMA to an organization that promotes modeling?
Old 10-26-2004, 11:56 AM
rw Guinn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Will you invest an hour or two?

I am relatively new at my club, having moved here in the past year. Most of my stuff is in boxes, and I haven't had a lot of time to fly, so I don't know a lot of the guys. But I will be at the field this weekend, and I will encourage people to vote.
I will also make my case fro Dave M. Most of the regular members have an Idea of my opinion of the Good Dr. Frank--but he's not up this year...

Roger
Old 10-26-2004, 04:34 PM
Live Wire

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Its time to get serious!
I was told not to get involved in club politics to stay as far from any thing involved with club as possible but come out and fly! How in the hell do you do that. I have been involved in this club for the matter of fact I started it. To bad things change this much and cause so many problem.
I have put in many hour at the field and at meeting. I gave them a P.A. not load enough, a 8'x32' camper trailer for a club house, not good enough. But when they need a fall guy HERE I AM.
YES I would give more than that! But what for I had better quite while I am ahead.
Last time I was the topic of the meeting!

What does it feel like to fly
Old 10-26-2004, 10:39 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

JR, I had a question for ol DB himself and I had to ask him directly. To my pleasant suprise he responded and I am still contemplating his reply and promise to vote.
Old 10-27-2004, 03:02 AM
Hossfly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: J_R

Most of you have voted. Are there enough votes cast to make a change? Probably not.

If you really want to influence this election, it is time to go to that last club meeting, or to the field, and try to get those that have not voted to do so. Find the members that have set their ballot aside, or do not know there is a ballot with their renewal, and encourage them to vote. The ballots must be in the mail by 11/12/04.

Are you willing to spend an hour or two trying to return the AMA to an organization that promotes modeling?

Well, let's see! I have sent many Vote For DM emails out to SIGs, names on webs, clubs, especially FF and CL, along with the vote procedure. I've posted on other forums. I personally financed a significant distribution of DM's campaign and web site stuff to individuals within the greater Houston area. Actually I'm slow on the Confuser, and I have spent a number of hours here doing the above. I will do some of same at a Fly-In this next Sat. about 60 mi. north of here.

I just did my final newsletter as the Jetero Newsletter Editor. Time for a newbie to take up the chore. Had a big plug for our potential new Jetero President, one Mr. Pat Wilcox.

DB sent this:
>>>
Horrace:
Congratulations on your many years of service to your club members as newsletter editor. (And the many "unofficial" ways you serve them)
The aeromodeling community owes you a big thank you.
Pat Willcox is a good man, and I have confidence he will make a good club president.

Dave Brown
<<<

I sent back this:
>>>
In a message dated 10/25/2004 3:33:13 PM Central Standard Time, dbrown@dbproducts.com writes:
>Pat Willcox is a good man, and I have confidence he will make a good club president.
>Dave Brown

Look out for the sky to fall! We agree on something.

Horrace Cain

AMA L 93 since Fri. 10/22
>>>>

Then Dave says:
>>>>
"I think you underestimate the number of times we agree.
You and I agree, VERY often on what needs to be done, but we often disagree as to how to accomplish it.

Dave Brown"
<<<<

I Thank Dave for taking the time to converse with me. I know he is a very busy person. OTOH while what he says about differences IMO, I no longer think that to be really true. IMO we agree on many fewer things than even just a few years ago.
My interests are in Model Aviation the sport and keeping that sport active. I think Dave is far too focused on Insurance alone and now fails to exercise any control over the administrative functions of the inner bureaucracy. That can easily happen when one is so close to the problem. The old trees and forest thing.

So Guys, the point here is just like our national elections, we need to give it a real effort right down to the deadline. DM has got a lot of people that usually spend a lot of time just batting each other around, now all pulling for him. Just think what he just might do with the whole AMA.
SO GO CALL SOME AMA MEMBER NOW.
GET THE VOTE IN THE MAIL.
PUT SOME SWEAT ON THE BROW.
HECK, EVEN SEND SOME EMAIL.

Ya'll do get busy right now.[X(]
Old 10-27-2004, 09:31 PM
BillHarris

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've been busy politicking. AFAIK, Walker County will not go "incumbent".

--Bill Harris

AMA 607983 and proud of it.
District 5 and embarrassed. Let's change that!

Tony Stillman for D-5 VP
Dave Mathewson for AMA President.

"Dave Brown, step down"
Old 10-28-2004, 09:27 AM
SSRCCPREZ

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi All,

I am the President of our club, and I can tell you no good deed goes unpunished. I was able to secure some 6K dollars in donations last year alone to our club. I set forth a plan to become non-profit and to celebrate our fifty years of flight. In order to do this we raised the dues $4.00. You would think that I raised the dues $400.00. We have the premiere field in New England and enjoy a large membership. I am constantly surprised at how few people are willing to donate their time to ur field, but invest several hours complaining about it. None the less, I am less inclined to vote for D.B. for one small reason. Our field was the first field D.B. flew at ever, as a child. In recognition of that, we sent him a lifetime membership with a nice letter from the Exec. Committee. Do you think we received any sort of recognition from him or even a thank you? Well, we did not. To me that is just rude. I know that I am always thankful when someone tries to do something nice for me. At the least I make sure that one's thoughtfullness is recognized with at least a thank you note. In stead I reported at the end of our year that we received NO thank you from Mr. Brown. I am sure he is a great guy and am sure he is very busy and all that but I know 150 people who were a little dissappointed. So , good luck to Mr.Brown, but this is not the way to make friends and influence people.

Sorry for the lengthy response.
SSRCPREZ
Old 10-30-2004, 11:07 PM
Live Wire

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It is easy to say yes or no but will you do it when the time comes! What are the odds.
Old 11-01-2004, 01:27 PM
SSRCCPREZ

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Will I do it when the time comes? The time has come over and over and I have over and over. Not only have I stepped up, but I have stepped up so many times I have lost count. D.B. on the other hand has not stepped up, has fallen short on more basic issues and it is time for him to step down.
Old 11-01-2004, 01:27 PM
Taildrager-inactive
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Nope won't invest a hour or two to try to get someone to vote, in fact will be one of the many who do not vote, nor care who becomes president or any other office. Now of course I will get flamed, so be it!
Old 11-01-2004, 02:41 PM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have one question for you. This is NOT intended to be an aggressive question, but a self educational one. Please answer it for my education because (as others will tell you) I might be stupid.

If your attitude is truely as you have written, WHY ARE YOU POSTING ON THIS FORUM?
Old 11-01-2004, 04:54 PM
SSRCCPREZ

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I certainley will not flame you for not voting or asking others to vote, but would point out that this type of apathy is what causes most of the issues in the AMA and in individual clubs. simply because the majority feels this way,therefore the minority are able to rule. Believe me there are days that I would like not to care anymore, but I am more afraid of those who are left that would care.
Old 11-01-2004, 07:03 PM
Hossfly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Taildrager

Nope won't invest a hour or two to try to get someone to vote, in fact will be one of the many who do not vote, nor care who becomes president or any other office. Now of course I will get flamed, so be it!

No flames but I will waste a minute to tell you that I don't care about you not caring. Actually I wish I could be like you so I would be doing something else more profitable, rather than trying to make a difference.
Your way requires no effort, no smarts, no knowledge and no responsibility. Yep it must make you feel so proud of yourself. Keep it up as there is one less vote for the incumbent.
Old 11-01-2004, 08:52 PM
J_R

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Taildrager

Guess I have to agree with the others. I would prefer you don't vote if you don't know the issues or personalities.

To those that do care:

Time is short. No time left to procrastinate.
Old 11-05-2004, 06:40 PM
Taildrager-inactive
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The question was asked, and I answered truthfully my reasons for not voting nor investing a hour or two. There are hundreds & hundreds of us that feel the same way. Am I a bad person for not voting or the type of person that just does not care who gets elected to national office.. I am active in my local AMA Club holding two positions, including being on the board of directors, so I am not lazy but spend my time at the local level trying to make a difference. Before running for office on the club level I spent a few years getting to know the members, and busting my arse helping with the yearly events, and when I did run for office was elected with a large majority of votes. Some day I may like to run for a district office and will do many of the same things at that level. Rest assured that I will be elected, as members will know who I am and what I have done to earn their vote. Maybe when someone spends time busting their arse at the national level and are well known out of their district I just might care enough to spend the couple hours helping them get elected, and vote for president as well.
Old 11-05-2004, 10:40 PM
F106A
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

IMO the answer to your question is yes.