AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Flying site help!

Old 10-26-2004, 07:57 PM
OverTheEdge
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Flying site help!

My RC club has lost it's flying site due to an over ambitious park ranger. [:@] We've done everything we could think of to save it... but have come up empty.
So the hunt for a new site has been on for several months and that has brought forth an idea. We are a small town of approx 13-14000 and there is a full scale municipal airport a few miles out of town. Several people have suggested that we fly our RC planes at the airport. I've approached a couple of the airport board members about it and they seem to be interested and would like to talk about it more.
So... I have an appointment to meet with the board members to discuss this further on Monday Nov 1.
Are there any other clubs or individuals that are flying at a regular airport??? If so, If I could get some names and/or airport locations or any other info that may help me with my presentation. I was thinking if I could give the board members info in reference to other airports that are allowing RC flight around the country that I could convince them that it could work.
Just another note: There is not much full scale traffic at this particular airport. There are days when not a plane takes off or lands and most days there is only a few flights all day. We won't be asking for use of the paved runways... just a grassy area that we could use.
There is one board member that we know will already be a bit on the negative side. [>:]

Please help!
Old 10-27-2004, 01:00 AM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Flying site help!

Contact the AMA in the morning. The number is 1-800-I-FLY-AMA. I KNOW that Joe or Wes will be glad to give you all the support you could ask for.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:15 AM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I would suggest that you contact the park rangers supervisors. If you have been there for a long time with no problems why a change now? It would be a lot easier to stay where you are at and a little fight never hurt, what do you have to loose?
Most public officials have their own agendas most for the good of the public and a few go off in their own direction. Parks depend on public usage to stay in business and if you show how many hours are spent at the field they might reconsider.......
Old 10-27-2004, 10:21 AM
OverTheEdge

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

We've been fighting to save our flying site since about March of this year... It's a state park and our city Mayor even got involved and wrote a letter to the head of the Dept of Natural Resources in favor of our club... we've also heard that this same Ranger has done this same thing to two other clubs in our state... it boils down to hunters wanting to use our area of the park and big city hunters pay big dollars to the park to hunt there. One of our members even contacted a state rep... bottom line... there are more hunters then there are member of our club that use that park and the park is bullying us out.
That being said... we need a better place to fly and hopefully we can work something out with our airport.
Old 10-27-2004, 01:21 PM
bearcatf8
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

We use to flyat our local airport and one day someones free flight got loose in the hanger, so that was the start of our being run off . We flew with our backs to the main runway, not much truoble with full scale planes , we just had to be carefull. Talk to the Board , let them invite you to come and fly.The use of spotters is a must! Fly away from the runways and hanger and taxi ways. We now own our land and no one can mess with us![8D]
Old 10-27-2004, 04:47 PM
Live Wire

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The main reason for loosing a site is one or more people thinking they run the show. They do not take in to consideration the other people involved. Then there are other uses planed for the property involved and who has priority and the $$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 10-27-2004, 05:07 PM
OverTheEdge

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That's exactly what has happened... hunters from out of our area that pay $$$$ to come and hunt at our park. Funny how they hunt too... the park has pheasants locked up in a cage... when the big $$ folks come down they let a couple of birds loose... ofcourse the birds don't fly so someone chases after the birds to get them to fly so the big $$ hunter can shoot the d*** bird... now that's hunting... why don't they just shoot the stupid thing when it's on the ground and be done with it?

On a positive note... I have received some info from the AMA and have discovered that there are currently 133 clubs that are flying at regular airports!
Old 10-27-2004, 09:21 PM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Call your local TV stations and the newspapers, they like stories like this, especially about the pen raised birds and the Rangers background.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:32 PM
Tx_RcFlyer
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I agree. Get some of these animal loving, tree hugging organizations involved. Between them and the local media, the worse that can happen is you get your flying site back.

Good Luck.
Old 11-10-2004, 05:40 PM
East RC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

where are you located?
Old 11-10-2004, 10:22 PM
Cajun

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I dislike PETA with a passion,,,,but sometimes one has to crawl into bed with the devil to accomplish your goals. I'd spread the info. to the people who can do some good.[>:]