AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA Exec Director steps down.

Old 11-01-2004, 03:08 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default AMA Exec Director steps down.

From AMA Web site.

Koranda Named AMA Executive Director
(Added 11/01/04)
The Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA) is pleased to announce the appointment of Donald J. Koranda as its new Executive Director, by a unanimous vote of its Executive Council (EC). Effective December 6, 2004, Don Koranda will replace Joyce Hager who requested reassignment after serving in that position for nine years. Joyce Hager will continue to play a significant role in the management of the AMA.

Don Koranda comes to AMA from the National Aeronautic Association (NAA), in Arlington, Virginia, where he served as NAA president and as its representative to the AMA EC for the past six years. The NAA recently announced the appointment of David Ivey as its new president, and he will continue the tradition of the NAA president serving as the NAA representative on the AMA EC.

Dave Brown, AMA president said, "Joyce Hager has done a terrific job as AMA's Executive Director after stepping into that position during trying times. Her service to AMA has been of the utmost importance to the continued growth of the association, and we are fortunate to have had her as our Executive Director. I feel confident that she will continue to be an important part of AMA's management.

"Don Koranda brings a wealth of experience and expertise to AMA, and I'm confident that he will take the organization to the next level. I have worked with Don as the NAA representative to AMA and I am excited to have him as our Executive Director. I look forward to some great things. This is a great day for AMA."
Old 11-01-2004, 06:36 PM
Hossfly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: AMA Exec Director steps down.

Ahhh Yes! Saw that a few minutes ago so I hurried here to get the skinny. Any behind the lines info yet?

Yep, we do live in interesting times. I wonder if AMA pays better than NAA? [X(] There be some big smoke signals here, you betchum! Now who can read them?

"Don Koranda brings a wealth of experience and expertise to AMA, and I'm confident that he will take the organization to the next level. I have worked with Don as the NAA representative to AMA and I am excited to have him as our Executive Director. I look forward to some great things. This is a great day for AMA."
IMO, that statement is far less than complimentary for Joyce. "...take ...next level." "....I am excited to have him..." "...forward to great things." Seems to me that Joyce was not considered to handle such. Oh Boy, getting the President's man in just before the President gets voted out. Lots of smoke there!!! Will flames burst out shortly?[:-]
Old 11-01-2004, 09:29 PM
rw Guinn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Apparently, in DB's view, "Tact" is a 4 letter word...
and Diplomacy isn't even in there...
Old 11-01-2004, 10:25 PM
J_R

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Koranda appears to be, on the face of it, a good choice. He has been sitting on the EC for six years and knows the operation. He certainly appears to have the expertise to step right in and do the job. From what information I can gather, Koranda will be a "yes man" for no one. It looks like he has the respect of everyone he has worked for or with in other organizations.

I have no inside information, but, one has to wonder how DB could have gotten something of this magnitude through on his own volition. The EC members have recently, consistently, shown the they are willing to think for themselves . It will be interesting to see how this came to pass. It took, at the least, 3/4 of the EC to approve this. It's really hard for me to imagine it getting done without a very strong consensus of the EC.

It's nice to see that Joyce Hager will still be around. She has been a mainstay for along time.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:46 PM
abel_pranger

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: J_R

Koranda appears to be, on the face of it, a good choice. He has been sitting on the EC for six years and knows the operation. <snip>
Just one thing, JR. Is he an aeromodeler? I'll try to be optimistic or at least neutral and give the guy a chance to show what he is made of, but 6 years learning the operation during the Brown administration doesn't put a lot of black ink in the ledger for me.

Abel
Old 11-01-2004, 10:46 PM
Cajun

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I don't know any of these persons personally, as I don't have time, nor the desire, to involve myself in AMA politics. BUT it has always appeared to me that Joyce Hager was doing a very good job, especially considering the pompous asses she had to work for and with.

On several occasions, when I was having trouble getting sanction info from AMA, an e-mail to Joyce brought almost instant responses and action, and her responses were always cordial and friendly. That's more than I can say for some of the PA's on the EC.

I hope she was treated fairly.

Cajun[8D]
Old 11-02-2004, 12:29 AM
Hossfly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Koranda appears to be, on the face of it, a good choice. He has been sitting on the EC for six years and knows the operation. He certainly appears to have the expertise to step right in and do the job. From what information I can gather, Koranda will be a "yes man" for no one. It looks like he has the respect of everyone he has worked for or with in other organizations.

I have no inside information, but, one has to wonder how DB could have gotten something of this magnitude through on his own volition. The EC members have recently, consistently, shown the they are willing to think for themselves . It will be interesting to see how this came to pass. It took, at the least, 3/4 of the EC to approve this. It's really hard for me to imagine it getting done without a very strong consensus of the EC.

It's nice to see that Joyce Hager will still be around. She has been a mainstay for along time.
Why has he accepted a job with AMA when he is President of NAA?? Move to Muncie IN from Arlington, VA? [sm=surprised.gif]

From NAA web:>>>>>>>>
10-7-04
NAA Names New President

National Aeronautic Association Names New President
David Ivey to lead aviation association

The National Aeronautic Association has announced that David Ivey, a 30-year veteran of trade association management, has taken over as its new president and CEO.

Ivey replaces Donald Koranda, who served as NAA’s president for six years.
<<<<<<<<<

Guess because he was replaced!!

The Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA) is pleased to announce the appointment of Donald J. Koranda as its new Executive Director, by a unanimous vote of its Executive Council (EC).
Regardless of their thoughts the vote was unanimous. I never did, nor will I now, respect a person that votes simply to make something "Unanimous" rather than that which he believes in. OTOH I have voted against something that I supported -- when I knew it was a Passer -- just to be sure it looked democratic.

Joyce has been there for over 30 years. I first met her at the '73 Oshkosh NATs. She's still too young to retire. There has to be some real reason for the switch.

Maybe if the EC changes big time a new EC may well use that as an advantage to push his weight around. Could be bad for those easily intimidated. However that kind has no business on the EC.
Old 11-02-2004, 10:54 AM
J_R

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Abel

To be honest, I don’t know if Don Koranda is a modeler, or not. I am sure someone can make a case that he is. He has been going to Muncie for 6 years and someone must have offered him some time on a model somewhere along the way… or he might be a commensurate modeler… or he may never have touched a model.

I can’t see that it makes a difference. The Executive Director is an administrator... the CEO. The EC is responsible for setting policies for the AMA, not the ED. From what I have been able to find out, his organizational and people skills are beyond reproach. If he can cause all the pieces of the organization to pull together more effectively, being able to fly or build a model is irrelevant, IMHO. Lou Gerstner, who brought IBM back from the dead, is the perfect example of someone who had no hands on experience being able to run an organization successfully.

Koranda has a reputation for being concerned about the members of the organizations he has run… to a fault. It is said that when member visitors appear, he stops what he is doing and takes the time to meet them and discuss the organization with them. He cares about the image of the organization within the membership.

Many on this forum have complained about the autonomy of some staff members and sub organizations. Perhaps Koranda is just the right guy to be able to put all the pieces into a cohesive unit.
Old 11-02-2004, 12:10 PM
Mike in DC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Hossfly
Move to Muncie IN from Arlington, VA? [sm=surprised.gif]
Who wouldn't want to move from Arlington to Muncie?
Old 11-02-2004, 01:13 PM
J_R

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Abel, here is another answer. Taken from the D VIII list.

Chief

Several have asked is/if DON KORANDA has been a modeler...

There will be a fuller press release out about DON KORANDA soon...

but the short quick answer is YES !!

PLEASE do a GOOGLE search on:

DON KORANDA

and

KORANDA NAA

and

KORANDA AOPA

for more information...

Dr. Sandy Frank
AMA D8 VP
Old 11-02-2004, 01:19 PM
J_R

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

Why has he accepted a job with AMA when he is President of NAA?? Move to Muncie IN from Arlington, VA? [sm=surprised.gif]
Hi Horrace

The following is from the April, 2004 EC Minutes, NAA report. It would indicate he had determined to leave NAA some time ago, well before a succesor was found for him at NAA, and, obviously, before the job was offered from the AMA.

"Koranda will be stepping down as NAA president at the end of May but will continue to serve until such time as a replacement is in that seat. A search committee is in place; AMA’s president does sit on the committee. Koranda expects a smooth transition and will convey to his replacement that AMA is extremely important and he hopes the relationship continues as in the past"
Old 11-02-2004, 03:06 PM
abel_pranger

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Abel, here is another answer. Taken from the D VIII list.

Chief

Several have asked is/if DON KORANDA has been a modeler...

There will be a fuller press release out about DON KORANDA soon...

but the short quick answer is YES !!
JR-
Thanks for two good answers - sounds encouraging.
The ED may be primarily an administrator, but still the individual in that position has some influence over policy, be it sometimes only how he/she implements policy. In the past, that individual has not always remained silent during the EC meetings, either. That's why it matters to me that he/she be a modeler. Had the same feelings about the EVP job. Being a modeler when in a position as second in command was more important to me than experience as a beancounter, which expertise is as close at hand as the Yellow Pages. Still is.

Abel