AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

"Free" DVD from the AMA

Old 11-23-2004, 10:36 PM
daniel_cox

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default "Free" DVD from the AMA

I had a package waiting for me from the AMA when I got home tonight. I opened it thinking it was my membership renewal. I found a DVD and a nice P-51 coin. I thought this was pretty cool thing to go with my annual membership. Much to my surprise, it was an unsolicited subscription to the Ultimate Model Aeronautics Video Library. The accompanying letter says that I can send it back using the "convenient" return mail label (after I package it and drop it off at the post office), send in $9 for this one, or just keep it as a "free gift" if I "don't want to participate". Well, nine bucks doesn't seem like all that much, so I guess I can just pay for it (even though I didn't order it). But wait, there's more! If I pay for it, there will be another one coming my way which of course I can decline if I want. Gosh, isn't this great! I am forced to join the only available organization so I can fly my airplanes at a sanctioned AMA RC club. And now, they send me stuff I didn't order and then want money for it. If it was any other organization, I would quit entirely and tell them to never bother me again. But I don't have that choice, do I?

I really wouldn't mind all that much if they had sent an advertisement for this DVD club with a return card (like every other RC magazine). Or a free copy without the implied due payment. I haven't watched it yet, but I probably will. I don't know what I will do next. I certainly don't want to get these DVDs without ordering them. I hate to have to send stuff back that I didn't order. I hate to feel like a cheapskate over nine bucks. Is it just me, or is this just wrong?

Rant off,
Daniel Cox
AMA 71786 (yes, I have been around for a while)
Old 11-23-2004, 10:43 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: "Free" DVD from the AMA

If you are a minor just keep it.
Old 11-23-2004, 11:00 PM
daniel_cox

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

No, I haven't been a minor for a long time. The point is sending unsolicited merchandise. The AMA should not be doing this, period. Maybe I should send them a bill for the time spent repackaging the DVD and dropping it off at the post office. It would be a lot more than nine bucks. I know this sounds over-reactive, but I really thought that there were laws against sending unsolicited merchandise (with a bill). This just doesn't sit right for an organization that regulates our hobby.
Old 11-24-2004, 02:04 AM
jcflysrc
My Feedback: (50)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I agree.
Watch the darn thing, it's a gift, and if they send you a bill, send it back...with a letter stating that you have NO intention of paying for unsolicited merchandise. The end.
Shame on the AMA!

Jim C
Old 11-24-2004, 11:46 AM
scottrc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Send it back with a dirty diaper and tell them you don't want their crap.

I got ringed into one of those deals through Tower Hobbies (Planes of the World CD they sent with my order), took me forever to cut the umbillical cord from them and cost a couple Ben Franklins for a set I could have gotten at Barns and Noble for half the cost. Direct mail marketing is a dangerous thing, once they get your name and you participate, you will be solicited for everything from glow plugs to girdles.

Remeber this, the company that is selling the CD are not Airplane specific. They are Direct Market sellers that handle everything from diet pills to food processors, and everything related to special interest groups. Again, once you respond, you legally are allowing them to sell anything to you, including calling you at all hours to solicit you.

And they work through Non-profit organizations and schools. If AMA thinks they can bombard me with solicitaition from Direct Mail marketers, then I guess they better sniff their packages before opening them. [>:]
Old 11-24-2004, 12:08 PM
daniel_cox

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I don't know what company is doing this. The package was sent from York, PA with the AMA logo all over it. The letter inviting me to "send in your member reply form with $9.00 if you like it" (slightly paraphrased from the letter) was signed by Dave Brown himself. I'm really not trying to make mountains out of molehills here, but this kind of marketing is highly annoying, especially from the AMA.

I've said enough. I guess I'll watch the thing to see what $9 buys.

- Daniel Cox
Old 11-24-2004, 02:25 PM
Hossfly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: daniel_cox

I had a package waiting for me from the AMA when I got home tonight. I opened it thinking it was my membership renewal. I found a DVD and a nice P-51 coin. I thought this was pretty cool thing to go with my annual membership. Much to my surprise, it was an unsolicited subscription to the Ultimate Model Aeronautics Video Library. The accompanying letter says that I can send it back using the "convenient" return mail label (after I package it and drop it off at the post office), send in $9 for this one, or just keep it as a "free gift" if I "don't want to participate". Well, nine bucks doesn't seem like all that much, so I guess I can just pay for it (even though I didn't order it). But wait, there's more! If I pay for it, there will be another one coming my way which of course I can decline if I want. Gosh, isn't this great! I am forced to join the only available organization so I can fly my airplanes at a sanctioned AMA RC club. And now, they send me stuff I didn't order and then want money for it. If it was any other organization, I would quit entirely and tell them to never bother me again. But I don't have that choice, do I?

I really wouldn't mind all that much if they had sent an advertisement for this DVD club with a return card (like every other RC magazine). Or a free copy without the implied due payment. I haven't watched it yet, but I probably will. I don't know what I will do next. I certainly don't want to get these DVDs without ordering them. I hate to have to send stuff back that I didn't order. I hate to feel like a cheapskate over nine bucks. Is it just me, or is this just wrong?

Rant off,
Daniel Cox
AMA 71786 (yes, I have been around for a while)

You really don't have a problem. >>>>"The accompanying letter says that I can send it back using the "convenient" return mail label (after I package it and drop it off at the post office), send in $9 for this one, or just keep it as a "free gift" if I "don't want to participate". <<<
You are not responsible to pay for unsolicited merchandise, especially if sent through the US Postal Service. Keep it and ignore it. Definitely do not pay with a credit card -- Never, never!
On your AMA application was a box to check about mailers. If you failed to appropriately check the box or OKed mailings then you can expect such mailings. You don't have to respond.
One big mailing (not an AMA thing) is being sent by BANK 1, a major Credit Card -- all kinds -- bank. They send you a check for $2.50 and it's yours. Cash it and your account is charged for some CC Insurance protection for some $90+/-. I get them each week. I don't cash the check, but neither do I respond. I wonder just how many do.

No need to blame AMA for being a prospect for the direct market gangs. I check OK for the mailings. Every so often I receive a welcome catalog. I don't usually buy, however sometimes I do if there is something I want. I just received one that has a reproduced kit of my first big CL model -- F&B Vampire-- when I was a pre-teen. I'm gonna' buy one.

For the free send-outs and conditions, blame only yourself if you respond, not AMA.
Old 11-24-2004, 02:33 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It sounds like you were already pissed at the AMA for feeling like you had to join in order to fly at your local field. This marketing DVD is a freebie and you don't have to do anything with it and can throw it in the trash if you want. You'll feel like a cheapskate if you don't pay for it? Give us a break.

How's this, if it wasn't for having the ability to insure the land owner or your local field through the AMA you probably wouldn't have a flying site. Then you'd have a whole nother subject to ***** about.
Old 11-24-2004, 02:41 PM
Hossfly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Basin Bum, your post is marked with (In reply to Hossfly).

The content shows nothing in reference to Hossfly but more so to the originator.

Confuses the lesser sophisticated. It helps if the poster will check the reply box of the post he is replying to.

Thank You.

Hossfly
Old 11-24-2004, 03:10 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes Horace,
A default of using the "Fast Reply" option. As you figured out it was directed towards the originator of this thread, not you. When I direct something to you Horace, it will be evident to all.