AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Dave Brown wins re-election

Old 11-24-2004, 04:21 PM
WingShot
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Dave Brown wins re-election

Official results: www.modelaircraft.org

No big surprise that Dave Brown won re-election considering that 70% of the membership is over 41, I guess.

Josh
Old 11-24-2004, 04:27 PM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Dave Brown wins re-election

[:@][:@][:@][:'(][:'(][:'(][&o][&o][&o]
Old 11-24-2004, 05:25 PM
Hossfly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: WingShot

Official results: www.modelaircraft.org

No big surprise that Dave Brown won re-election considering that 70% of the membership is over 41, I guess.

Josh

Too bad that the 70% aren't over 60. Then DM would have won. All the younger children just don't have the wisdom of whom or how to vote. [8D]
Old 11-24-2004, 05:45 PM
Woody218
My Feedback: (24)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That is, indeed, bad news. I was so hoping that Dave Mathewson would be the next president. Looks like we get more of the same old ****.
Old 11-24-2004, 05:45 PM
PROP-WASH
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

[]Well I FOR ONE SAY AFTER THIS YEARS MEMBERSHIP RUNS OUT I'M DONE WITH MISTER DAVE BROWNS AMA. MADE THE MISTAKE OF RENEWING IT LAST YEAR FOR 2 YEARS.I know i'm going to get bashed here for it saying this but its how i feel about this.

pRoP- WaSh
Old 11-24-2004, 06:26 PM
Live Wire

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have still not figured out what age has to do with it. The main idea is to vote if you don't, don't complain! Looks like people like what they have rather than what they could have. What air port was that they are planning to buy.[8D]
Old 11-24-2004, 07:06 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: PROP-WASH

[]Well I FOR ONE SAY AFTER THIS YEARS MEMBERSHIP RUNS OUT I'M DONE WITH MISTER DAVE BROWNS AMA. MADE THE MISTAKE OF RENEWING IT LAST YEAR FOR 2 YEARS.I know i'm going to get bashed here for it saying this but its how i feel about this.

pRoP- WaSh
Hang in with us. If you are not a member you can't help us vote him out. Look at the bright side, we blew away two useless EC members (or their appointed replacements).
Old 11-24-2004, 07:13 PM
BillHarris

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hang in with us. If you are not a member you can't help us vote him out. Look at the bright side, we blew away two useless EC members (or their appointed replacements).
Still, the Stillman victory wasn't exactly devastating. It shows the power of the incumbent! As DB shows.

Heck, now that things are on a even keel here in D-5 and we can work at rebuilding it, I'll have time to become DB worst nightmare. Right?

--Bill Harris

"Dave Brown, step down"
Old 11-24-2004, 08:05 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here are some numbers to chew over:

2001 AMA Election Results
President
Dave Brown 16,339 58%
Rich Hanson 4,710
Frank Tiano 6,739
Total 27,842

District I
Don Kraft 1,231

District V
Jim McNeill 2065 42.5%
Manny Sousa 804
Ton Stillman 1985
Total 4854

District IX
Russ Miller 673
P M McGuigan 568
Total 1241

2004 results

President:
Dave Brown 15,090 57.9%
Dave Mathewson 7,925
Bill Oberdieck 3,066
Total 26,081 7% fewer votes than 2001

Dist 1 VP
Andy Argenio 890 54%
Don Krafft 748
Total 1638 33% more voted than in 2001 (no race in 2001)

Dist 5 VP
Tony Stillman 2,038 48%
Judi Dunlap 1,275
Manny Sousa 898
Total 4,211 13% few votes than 2001

Dist 9 VP
Mark Smith 866 30% fewer votes than 2001 where there was a race.

Total number of members voting for president in 2002 vs 2004 roughly the same, 17%

Red S.
Old 11-25-2004, 12:39 AM
Bob101

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What we need is a split off of the AMA.

Seriously, one for modeling and such stuff...

and one for FLYING.
Old 11-25-2004, 04:29 AM
dragoonpvw
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Bob101

What we need is a split off of the AMA.

Seriously, one for modeling and such stuff...

and one for FLYING.
And which one would you be???
Unfortunately I would have to join both, I think I will stick with one thanks..
I am lucky, I voted Tony And Dave B, Things are going my way at last. Now
where are those lottery tickets?

good luck
Paul
Old 11-25-2004, 04:59 AM
BillHarris

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Interesting. With all out campaigning, TS got only 53 more votes this time. And MS was still in the "800's". And DB was in the same magnitude. I suppose, then, that folks vote pretty much the same way each time. Those who bother to vote, that is...

--Bill

"Dave Brown, step down"
Old 11-25-2004, 07:52 AM
vpresley
My Feedback: (162)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yeah Dave Brown WON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To many sour grapes here. Take your ball and go somewhere else is always an option if you dont like the winner, for those of you with that mindset. Now that reality is here and voted on, you should work with the NEWLY ELECTED AMA LEADERSHIP to improve the AMA. Not sit back and whine because it didn't go your way. Onward and upward as they say. Your part of the problem, or part of the cure, its that simple.

Vince
Old 11-25-2004, 08:52 AM
Hossfly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: vpresley

To many sour grapes here. Take your ball and go somewhere else is always an option if you dont like the winner, for those of you with that mindset. Now that reality is here and voted on, you should work with the NEWLY ELECTED AMA LEADERSHIP to improve the AMA. Not sit back and whine because it didn't go your way. Onward and upward as they say. Your part of the problem, or part of the cure, its that simple.

Vince
Reading your post, Vince, I know that you are correct in your statements. I am very happy with all the newly elected DVPs and looking forward to their tenure in office.
Personally I am far too prone to the too-many-sour-grapes attitude however I don't want to be like the democrats now, as I watch the liberals make all their excuses and try to tell the conservatives what they *have* to do. [>:]
So hopefully I can adjust to be more like you advise as it seems a proper course of action.

However, Vince, I need more help and advice. Could you please explain to me just HOW can someone work WITH Dave Brown to IMPROVE the AMA? I fail to see how he has any desire to improve AMA. His tenure has only resulted in a steady loss of membership, no education for the new generations of model fliers to present AMA as more than an insurance company, and constant upheavals in AMA operations as he fights for getting his own way which I perceive to ultimately be the future CEO of a large captive insurance company that owns AMA vice the other way.

Mr. Brown is very able to maintain a following of some 15-16000 groupies having absolutely no mind of their own, which retains his power base. That's definitely a "good" for him. How he does it is a mystery to me, yet even the most vile dictators in history maintained a loyal cadre around themselves. Sheep do follow their perception of a leader.

Therefore I ask you, Vince, just what one can do to work WITH Mr. Brown for the GOOD of AMA since I see no parallel between the *GOOD* of AMA and Mr. Brown. You will explain this, will you not? [sm=drowning.gif]

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Old 11-25-2004, 10:25 AM
scrcc_guy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

....Sounds like the making of a classic Oximoron (with apologies to the Ox)
Old 11-25-2004, 10:34 AM
scrcc_guy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: BillHarris

Interesting. With all out campaigning, TS got only 53 more votes this time. And MS was still in the "800's". And DB was in the same magnitude. I suppose, then, that folks vote pretty much the same way each time. Those who bother to vote, that is...

--Bill

"Dave Brown, step down"
Although here in the Northeast (land of the Hatfields & McCoys according to some) it could be infered that if the membership is given a clear alternative, the participation level increases. A 33% increase in returned ballots is impressive however you measure it.
Old 11-25-2004, 10:44 AM
rsallen13
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Vince
The only good thing to come out of this election is now Dave Brown will have to deal with a EC that hopefully will not be a rubber stamp to his policy ideas. Sort of like having a Democratic President and a Republican Congress. DB, though he has won, did not win a mandate for the actions of "HIS" EC. In reality he has but one vote on the EC and maybe the new District VP's can make the needed changes without him.
Old 11-25-2004, 11:56 AM
Hal deBolt

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi ya'll,
Sad election? and worse part being the great effort got fewer total votes?
Obvious someway is needed to shock the non-voters into putting the little
ballot in the mail box. Maybe a threat to have a major dues increase, cut
insurance. etc. Something to get their attention?
Horace covered the meat well, all that is left is the hope to short circuit
the self professed dictator with the EC.
Lots of luck!

Hal hdebolt1@juno.com
\
Old 11-25-2004, 12:08 PM
the-plumber

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: PROP-WASH

pRoP- WaSh

I would suggest that now is not the time to quit, particularly when we have just made major changes to the Executive Council in the persons of Tony Stillman and Andy Argenio.

One thing at a time still works, y'know.

I'm hoping that with the 'young lions' joining the EC, many of Mr. Brown's "railroading" tactics will be blunted or thwarted entirely. The "yes-men" are for the most part gone from the EC, and that's not a bad start a'tall.

Maybe stick around and help complete the change next election, whaddaya think ?
Old 11-25-2004, 11:51 PM
Bob101

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Vince

That's where we disagree, I don't think the AMA has any current LEADERSHIP at all except for asset aquisistion.

Look back over the last year at the notes Dave Brown writes in in the mag each month, almost 90% are reactionary to something that comes up, I don't think he has a vision for where the AMA is going or even where he wants it to go. I think he's along for the ride and trying not to upset too many apple carts - that's not leadership.
Old 11-25-2004, 11:53 PM
BillHarris

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I would suggest that now is not the time to quit, particularly when we have just made major changes to the Executive Council in the persons of Tony Stillman and Andy Argenio.
And, unless I've missed something, Dave Mathewson is still the VP of D-2. Likely he is still not impressed with DB's antics...

--Bill
Old 11-26-2004, 07:51 AM
SSRCCPREZ

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Gentlemen,

Change is on the horizon. The EC is now starting to swing back to center. DI and DV had great victories this week. We should rally around our district V.P.'s and let them know what we want and how we feel. Let them take the message to DB. The winners are in place and we must now work within the confines of the election results. When in Rome.......I think we can still exact change and rebuild the AMA and correct some misgivings that have occurred. I for one say a strong district is hard to ignore five strong districts are impossible to ignore.
Old 11-26-2004, 08:11 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I honestly don't understand what the problem is? I have competed in 3 different categories of AMA sanctioned events over the years, and would like to thank the AMA for enriching my life. I enjoy all aspects of the hobby. Nobody is responsible for my happiness with this hobby/sport except me, regardless of who is in "power". The AMA has come through with every insurance claim that has ever been submitted because of mishaps that I have either been witness to, or just heard of, and were handled quickly and fairly. This is their main responsibility. The dues check that I make out[to AMA] each year is done with a little bit of pain, but it is still bearable. I wish the magazine was optional in lieu of less dues. The free enterprise system regulates what it costs to do this hobby, it has never been less expensive [relative to the economy] to fly RC, as far as I'm concerned, times are good. The AMA front office has next to nothing to do with my enjoyment of this sport, or the major cost of being a modeler. I don't think that the AMA needs to sell the sport to anyone, or do any aggressive recruiting.It didn't take much time for this forum to devolve into what it is today , a group made up of guys who seem to have lost perspective of what really matters, which is the enjoyment of the hobby that DOES NOT originate at AMA HQ, but really begins with a kit box under your arm as you are leaving the hobby store. I challenge all of you to spend half the time that you do complaining about the AMA out in your workshops instead, revisiting the hobby, and contributing something tangible and positive to the other forums.
Old 11-26-2004, 08:56 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (14)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

"The AMA has come through with every insurance claim that has ever been submitted because of mishaps that I have either been witness to, or just heard of, and were handled quickly and fairly. This is their main responsibility."

another example of how far yet we have to go in education.

insurance and paying claims is not even mentioned in the by laws as what the AMA is for and to do.

an no, i am not pitching rocks in CP's direction.
Old 11-26-2004, 09:20 PM
sideshow
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: WingShot
.....Dave Brown won re-election...