AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Another one bites the dust

Old 12-02-2004, 11:19 AM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Another one bites the dust

We always hear that modelers should stick it to the AMA and go form another organization. Then someone claims that the AMA targeted the SFA attempt with lawsuits that ran them out of business. Well, it seems that it does not take the AMA legal folks to run folks out of the hobby support business.

I noticed this elsewhere.

As of 11-30 2004 UMA ceases operation citing economic hardships.
http://www.unitedmodelers.com/
Old 12-02-2004, 01:24 PM
Bearzilla
My Feedback: (17)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Another one bites the dust

I've never heard of them before...were they a big organization?
Old 12-02-2004, 02:59 PM
fliers1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

UMA was mentioned many times on RCU, but it seems that everytime the subject of UMA came up, it was either totally ignored, suspect or dissed and/or compared to SFA. Then again, as mentioned before, most if not all AMA members considered it illegal to allow UMA members on an AMA field. The only way UMA could succeed was the creation of many more UMA clubs. All and all, IMO, there just wasn't enough people in the hobby/sport in general to make a difference, one way or the other, not to mention those who have had it with clubs altogether, whether they be UMA or AMA.

CCR
http://www.kites.org/rc_instructors
Old 12-02-2004, 05:30 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thank goodness Dave Brown in doing a great job of keeping the AMA solvent.
Old 12-02-2004, 05:52 PM
Woody218
My Feedback: (24)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thank goodness Dave Brown in doing a great job of keeping the AMA solvent.
Yeah, right. Dave Brown is like a little kid on a toboggan going down a steep hill. He's just along for the ride.
Old 12-03-2004, 09:31 AM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hmmm... I wonder if the membership paying $58 a year might have helped a little. Nah, they are just pond scum.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:32 PM
dave jones

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes I know that I posted this at Goodbye UMA But I am going to get flamed any way so it may as well be hot.

I will most likely get flamed for what I am about to say here so please give me time to get my Nomex suite on.
Yes it is true that the UMA is gone and with it the only competition to the AMA.
Well not quite there still is a source of competition for the AMA and it is by the AMA's own doing.
It is a little known fact that most modelers or AMA members are unaware of.
It is a tinny little loop hole that most of us know about but only a few us are aware of.
I have been flying at our club field for 25 years and it hit me Sunday that we have one member of our club that is not an AMA member and never has been, yet he has been allowed to join our club and fly at our field for years and it is within the AMA rules and it is with the AMA's blessing.
Now I know you all are thinking how is this possible what puts this man above the rest of us?
Nothing he is not any better that the rest of us he puts his pants on one leg at a time just like all of us, in fact he is not even a U.S. Citizen.
He is a Canadian Citizen and a member of the MAAC Model Aeronautics Association of Canada.
I don't remember when the AMA and the MAAC did it but some time back they created a reciprocating agreements with one another that any AMA member can fly in Canada at MAAC fields and any MAAC member can fly in the US at AMA fields. There are some restriction and I am not going to go in to them here if you are interested you can read then your self here are the links. http://www.maac.ca/ http://www.maac.ca/forms/form_membership.pdf
I am most likely about to open a very BIG can of worms here but if you have had all that you can stand with the AMA but still would like to be able fly at your club field or any AMA field for that mater then join the MAAC and you can fly.
The dues are only $55.00 Canadian and with the exchange rate that puts it around $44.00 U.S. you get a very nice magazine and it is printed in English and French.
Now I am not saying that we all should run out and join the MAAC but if enough of us did do you think that it would get
Mr. Brown's attention.
Most likely the AMA and the MAAC would change the rules so that you would have to be a Canadian Citizen to join the MAAC and a US Citizen to join the AMA.
Ok I have my Nomex suite on so flame away.
Dave Jones
AUAV.net