Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Why do you belong to the AMA ?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.
View Poll Results: A poll
Because I love what the AMA does for its membership
9.15%
Because I like the idea of a national flying site
0.65%
Becaues I love the Magazine
1.96%
Because my club makes me
43.14%
14.38%
because I have no other option
30.72%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Why do you belong to the AMA ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 05:21 PM
the-plumber

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why do you belong to the AMA ?

ORIGINAL: Cursor
I would urge those that have enough spare time to post concerns here to get involved -- in their club, in their area, in their District. For starters, vote in the elections. Write or call your VP or AVP. If we have an "Old Boy" network, (debatable) then it's constantly hiring...
Rick Allison
AMA Dist XI AVP
Nice to see someone with official imprimateur chime in.

I hope it's not news to you, Rick, but a goodly many of 'us' have been involved in trying to make AMA a better place to practice the fine black arcane art of building flying models.

That a significant shift in the makeup of the EC took place via the recent election seems to be proof positive that the actions of those so involved have paid real dividends - one lump of deadwood voted out, and an heir-apparent political appointee relegated to the lavendar and lace bit bucket.

Too bad there weren't enough of 'us' involved to replace Dave Brown, but there's always the next election for which to plan.

Glad to have you in this august pack of lunatics.
Old 12-08-2004, 06:03 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: abel_pranger

The individual being charged apparently has brains and balls; makes it a real PITA for control freaks.

Makes one wonder what "sufficient reason to expel" would be. Were I to be expelled from AMA I could no longer pursue my hobby at clubs I've belonged to for many years. That is, until some stuffed suits got called into a courtroom to explain why. Expect there would be some wild flapping and sqawking over what reason is sufficient then.

Abel
You probably hit closer to the real truth here than you know. "Why" wouldn't fly and the legal suits that run Muncie knew it and in all probablility strongly advised to drop the case, otherwise the there was a potential for an exchange of big bucks.
Old 12-08-2004, 08:41 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

that is why, ya never give up without a fight. ya knever really know how serious yer opposition is, ifn ya don't stand up to em.
Old 12-09-2004, 12:34 AM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hate it when that happens
Old 12-09-2004, 03:05 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

kinda thought ya might'vd been refeering to yerself. heard some skuttlebutt along those lines in my travels.

confidentiality, when requested, is not a problem, but i have no real need to view the details either.
Old 12-09-2004, 05:02 PM
Jim Messer
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To Mongo & Jim Branaum: Have no idea what you two are talking about, and I don't see how it relates to the subject matter; "why do you belong to AMA". Am I missing something?
Old 12-09-2004, 08:21 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned

ORIGINAL: Jim Messer

To Mongo & Jim Branaum: Have no idea what you two are talking about, and I don't see how it relates to the subject matter; "why do you belong to AMA". Am I missing something?
Actually Jim, is has quite a bit to do with "why do you belong to AMA". Being a Leader Member, threatened with retaliation for being "too active a Leader Member" has befallen on some who dare to challenge their VPs. Particularly when it is difficult to defend some of the VP actions (or in some cases lack of action). So the VP's defense is to try and intimidate the challenger - while expulsion from the AMA is next to impossible to do, they try, by threatening the possibility of expulsion unless he "volunteers" to resign his Leader Membership status. Once one realizes that the EC is NOT the AMA then it becomes much easier to stand one's ground when confronted by these issues.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:45 PM
J_R

ORIGINAL: Red Scholefield

<SNIP> Once one realizes that the EC is NOT the AMA then it becomes much easier to stand one's ground when confronted by these issues.
Darn, Red!

If you said "the VP is NOT the AMA", it would be easier for me to agree. Even if you had said a "couple of members of the EC" I could go along. We have SOME pretty good people on the EC who make up the majority (and did before the last election, too), in my humble estimation. It's not fair to paint them all with the same brush.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:11 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This does raise an interesting two part question: First is there a process for expulsion of a: rank and file member, Leader member, Contest director, AVP, DVP or president? Second and perhaps more important has there ever been a history of such?
Old 12-09-2004, 10:53 PM
abel_pranger

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

This does raise an interesting two part question: First is there a process for expulsion of a: rank and file member, Leader member, Contest director, AVP, DVP or president? Second and perhaps more important has there ever been a history of such?
John-
There was a couple of years ago a statement attributed to an 'official' source in Muncie to the effect that there has been an instance of a member being expelled. It really doesn't matter who is attributed with this statement, as there was no detail whatever provided regarding the circumstances, so it is apocryphal as far as us hoi polloi are concerned. Control freaks that use them well know that the idle threat is disarmed by disclosure of truth.

Abel
Old 12-10-2004, 12:17 AM
Jim Branaum

John,
The way *I* understand it that really is part of the problem. There seems to be no way under the by-laws to discipline any class other than member. That means if we need to take some action, the only thing is to throw the offender out of the AMA. Now there is a mechanism OUTSIDE the by-laws in place that some on the AMA EC hope to be able to use to punish offending Leader Members (and CD's I think, but don't recall clearly). I predict that will cost us at least one more dues increase to pay for the lawyers we have to buy in an attempt to defend the AMA on this one.

Abel's response is correct.
Old 12-10-2004, 08:50 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

Yes, there is a process outlined in the membership manual. See Article V in the By-Laws and Handling Complaints in the Standing Rules. If you don't have a copy of this it is available on line in the Publications section of the AMA web site.

Wether such processss are followed by the EC is the matter for another discussion.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:49 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

I believe the AMA is comprised of two very different hobbies.

Group 1.) People that love to build models and love to fly them.

These people will sometimes volunteer to perform administrative duties for thier club, but consider them a chore.

Group 2.) People that love to be a part of the administration of an organization.

These people are rarely seen at the field and are almost never seen building or flying.

Based on personal accounts , the sport seems to be comprised of both groups.

Each group has its view of the AMA . And the AMA seems to offer both groups something .

A persons view of the AMA depends greatly on which group the person belongs.
Old 12-11-2004, 01:24 AM
Jim Branaum

Barney,
Your observation is probably close enough to be right.

However, there is a subset of the first group that just takes on the admin work to see that it gets done correctly to insure the availability of a flying site. Those folks generally are welcome in my home as we all have similar goals and desires. To my way of thinking, these are the important people in the AMA and part of the reason to be a member.

It is the second group most of us wind up trying to find a way to deal with, against our better judgment, most of the time. Generally those who reside in that second group are among the bunch that would not be welcome in my home as they more frequently than not do not represent my goals, desires, and interests. Mostly they do not represent real modelers, which includes the guys who do ARF's, turbines, C/L, FF, R/C and soaring. Rather they represent themselves, their desires, and unfortunately their morals (or lack of them in some cases).
Old 12-16-2004, 09:06 PM
50+AirYears

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

It's not because of the Insurance, nor is it because of the magazine. These are only a small part of it So is the Muncie flying field. The increasing Archiving of Model Aviation's history is another part. So is supporting the AMA Scholarship program. The AMA contacts with Federal Government offices such as FAA and FCC. It's the AMA's work in not only getting and keeping RC frequencies, but even in increasing the number of available frequencies over the years. AMA's tchnical columns on sound level management. Numerous other activities.
I didn't really appreciate the AMA as much as I should until I read an editorial in a CB magazine about mid 1968 in which the Editor was knocking the disregard for the FCC regulations in Citizen's Band radio. This was back when all we had for R/C were 6 frequencies from 26.995 mHz to 27.255 mHz, and if you wanted to learn Morse Code and basic radio electronics circuitry, the Ham bands. The Editor's main point was that the FCC almost shut down the Citizen's Radio Service back then "Except for a group of Model Aviation enthusiasts represented by a group called the AMA which stressed and accepted conformance to the rules and regulations." This might not be an exact quote, but it is the gist of the article. If the FCC had shut CB down, where would R/C be today? Would it be around today? Don't knock the AMA until you understand EVERYTHING it's doing.
Old 12-17-2004, 10:44 AM
abel_pranger

ORIGINAL: 50+AirYears

It's not because of the Insurance, nor is it because of the magazine. These are only a small part of it So is the Muncie flying field. The increasing Archiving of Model Aviation's history is another part. So is supporting the AMA Scholarship program. The AMA contacts with Federal Government offices such as FAA and FCC. It's the AMA's work in not only getting and keeping RC frequencies, but even in increasing the number of available frequencies over the years. AMA's tchnical columns on sound level management. Numerous other activities.
I didn't really appreciate the AMA as much as I should until I read an editorial in a CB magazine about mid 1968 in which the Editor was knocking the disregard for the FCC regulations in Citizen's Band radio. This was back when all we had for R/C were 6 frequencies from 26.995 mHz to 27.255 mHz, and if you wanted to learn Morse Code and basic radio electronics circuitry, the Ham bands. The Editor's main point was that the FCC almost shut down the Citizen's Radio Service back then "Except for a group of Model Aviation enthusiasts represented by a group called the AMA which stressed and accepted conformance to the rules and regulations." This might not be an exact quote, but it is the gist of the article. If the FCC had shut CB down, where would R/C be today? Would it be around today? Don't knock the AMA until you understand EVERYTHING it's doing.
Wow! AMA saved CB. That's a different slant on history than what I recall.
I remember paying a buck or two for a CB license. FCC, in a sole source position much as AMA is in today, smelled revenue enhancement opportunity and hiked the fee by an order of magnitude to $20-25 IIRC. CBers responded like some rowdys in Boston had a couple hundred years ago, and tossed tea into the harbor. Few "accepted conformance to the rules and regulations" as apparently AMA did, and FCC didn't sell many CB licenses after that. CB subsequently became "license free."

Abel
Old 12-17-2004, 05:38 PM
50+AirYears

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

As I recall at the time of the article, I was paying about $1.00/yr for the CB liscense while in the AF. Non-regulation operation on CB was still a problem for the FCC even then, including 1 to 5 KW linear amplifier operators blanking out community operations, such as traffic light operations and CB outfits used for emergency vehicles. The higher fee came later, about the time I dropped out of R/C to raise a family. When I got back in in the mid 70s, the band was Liscense Free. The newly negotiated 72 mHz radios were just showing up ain large numbers at our local field. The article's point was that the RC users in general operated their equipment in conformance to the regulations, and this operation was a selling point the AMA was able to use to help at least keep the frequencies then available open to the RCers, and by default, available to the other CB users in general. I'm not ignoring the lobbying done by the radio manufacturerers, or some of the CB groups who were supporting legal operation, just pointing out one positive contribution out of many the AMA has made to the Sport/Hobby!
Old 08-30-2005, 01:05 AM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Why do I belong to the AMA....one simple reason.....so the "club members" can't kick me out of the club field. I don't fit their bill to fly with them, but I'm an AMA member so they can't kick me out. Plain and simple. I prefer to fly at our non sanctioned field so I can actually get a chance to fly besides a 20X200 foot runway is boring. If your not a member there, or your not some RC bigshot, or you dont have a jet, dont even bother gettin out your plane.