Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

[b]AMA Dues Increase[b/]

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

[b]AMA Dues Increase[b/]

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2002, 07:06 PM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [b]AMA Dues Increase[b/]

In case you don't know, your AMA dues are going up 21% from $48 to $58 dollars next year. I am totally incensed about this increase, especially with the reason given that insurance went up $60,000. Isn't the reason always insurance increases? I looked at the balance sheet on page 158 of the current Model Aviation (Oct 2002) and noticed a net increase of $2,101,491 due to bond sales. I also question why there is such a decrease in net assets to start year 2001? Why are there such large losses in operating assets and liabilities in 2001? I feel that some questions need answered before you pass a 21% dues increase. Obviously three Districts must feel as I do, because they voted not to increase the dues. I applaud Districts VII, VIII and X. Thank you and keep up the good work. I would be interested in seeing some specific numbers on operations such as payroll and controllable expenses. I am afraid my friends that the castle in Muncie is costing more to operate than anticipated. If you agree with me, let the AMA know, after all it is your organization, demand an accounting of your money and send a thank you to the vice presidents that have our best interests at heart.
Old 08-23-2002, 08:00 PM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default More to it...

I was also incensed, especially since it clealry says that the field insurance will go up "substanstially", but does not say how much. AMA is slowly but surely putting itself out of business. Even Dave Brown admits that most of the AMA members are there becasue of the insurance, and the majority have not idea, nor do they care, about the other AMA accomplishments. I am truly worried about what the dues structure will be for clubs. This could have a serious effect on small clubs like the one I belong to.
TOmmy
Old 08-23-2002, 10:32 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

21% sure seems like a big number, until you realize that it's $10. That's 2 glow plugs. Not even a gallon of fuel. 3 props. A couple bottle of glue. Not even a servo. If that's all it takes to make you angry, that's a shame.

However, I think that asking the AMA to present real numbers to its members is a reasonable request.
Old 08-23-2002, 11:03 PM
TRP
My Feedback: (1)

I read that last night as well.

I have to say that I was not incensed about it... I was just merely concerned over the half *****ed reasons that were given for the rate hike.

One of the reasons given amounted to "Hey.. We made some poor investment choices.... and need to recoup the loss... so up go the dues." (maybe I read it wrong.. but that's what I took away from it.)

Granted - it's not that big of a jump at the individual level. I mean kept it all in perspective.. it's just 10 extra bucks from me ( and 10 from you.. and you.. and you...) Hey wait! Our club alone will add up to a $4250.00 increase in revenue from members alone! Then if you add in the mystery club fee... who knows what it will top out at. (My point? - On the surface it seems pretty benign.. but it spreads like a cancer.)

I was truly concerned about the club fee hike. With the number of clubs dropping like flies.. I hope this new rate hike does not put more clubs under. The reality of it all may be even higher club dues for the club members. The ripple effect of these hikes has not been realized.

Mark my words - By December the effects of this decision will bring about lots of threads like this one. It's gonna be a toasty December in Muncie! They can save on the energy bill with all the heat they will be taking.

In closing...
Keep it in perspective. It's just a hobby. My only concern is at the club level. I hope it does not bring the end of the smaller clubs.

That's just my .02 pesos.

TRP
Old 08-24-2002, 01:11 AM
rcalfred

Default AMA Dues

Ahem.....complaining is easy. What are your solutions???? If you are so "incensed", run for office at the AMA. As mentioned above....it's ten dollars! Less than a dollar a month. Regards.
Old 08-24-2002, 01:57 AM
Robby
My Feedback: (18)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What are your solutions????
I can think of one way for AMA to save a few bucks...
Do away with the highly over priced glossy color cover on the
magazine...

Robby
Old 08-24-2002, 03:40 AM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

rcalfred,

I guess H. Cain is disappointed too...he is running an Ad in the November R/C Report - he's on the ballot and is serious about it! Good for him...

Jerry
Old 08-24-2002, 04:08 AM
Balsageek

Default Sure it's only 10 bucks but...

I feel the main issue here is not the total dollars spent, its the unaccounted for over expenditures, and the AMA's expectance for everyone to bail them out. It's more of an ethical issue. I wouldn't care about spending 10 more bucks if I knew it was truly needed, and was going to a good cause. Its much like the government, the budget is inflated. A bunch of guys in suits and ties sit around in an office and spend our dues and we have no idea where it goes.
Sure the AMA has contributed to the hobby, but now they're gradually taking it all back!! Take a look at their new headquarters! As far as I'm concerned that's totally unneeded!! They could run the outfit out of a cheaper smaller office. Also, the mag they put out is crap (like Robby said, "with a glossy cover" The only real reason for anyone to join is the insurance!
I sure wish they wouldn't have put the Sport Flyers Assoc. out of buisness. That assoc. was much easier to deal with than the AMA! You didn't have to do all the beurocratic bullsh$# to have a fun fly or to do anything for that matter. If you were a member, following rules, you were covered. Oh well that's in the past and now the AMA misewell be called a monopoly!!!

THE AMA NEEDS AN ENEMA!!!

Thats my opinion, gripe as much as you like!
Old 08-24-2002, 09:02 AM
fliers1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Sure it's only 10 bucks but...

Originally posted by Balsageek

I sure wish they wouldn't have put the Sport Flyers Assoc. out of buisness. That assoc. was much easier to deal with than the AMA! You didn't have to do all the beurocratic bullsh$# to have a fun fly or to do anything for that matter. If you were a member, following rules, you were covered. Oh well that's in the past and now the AMA misewell be called a monopoly!!!

THE AMA NEEDS AN ENEMA!!!

Thats my opinion, gripe as much as you like!
And then there is the United Modelers of America LTD for only $38

http://www.unitedmodelers.com/

Take care,
CCR
http://www.kites.org/rc_instructors
Old 08-24-2002, 11:43 AM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

And I wonder where those $$$ goes!

Jerry
Old 08-24-2002, 12:19 PM
DocYates

Default Too harsh....

I guess the word "incensed" which I used was too harsh. Dissapointed and worried is more like it. The $10 dollars extra a year for me, I am not worried about. It is the undisclosed, as of yet, cost to clubs for thier membership and landowners coverage. I have had a beef with the AMA for some years now about charging $20 for a certificate of insurance for a "mall show". This is something that should be covered under the clubs umbrella policy. However, most malls require a certifcate of insurance in order to cover themselves. AMA charges, or did, $20 for these certificates. How many accidents have occurred at mall exihibits (I don't know, I'm asking". Of course, threads like these are a quick way to get people angry, I remember how they used to pop up all the time at RCO. I usually try to stay away from them, but I am really worried about what these dues increases are going to do to clubs like ours who already operate on a shoestring budget. They are members of our club who have advocated leaving the AMA, but some of us have insisted that we stay in for nothing more than the insurance, this is not going to help our cause.
Flame away, I'm a big boy, but every attempt that our area has made to replace the current members of the EC has failed, primarily because of apathy within the ranks. With these continued hits on their pocketbooks so that a large office complex and flying site can be maintained, maybe they will change their minds.
Tommy
Old 08-24-2002, 12:47 PM
fliers1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Too harsh....

Originally posted by DocYates
They are members of our club who have advocated leaving the AMA, but some of us have insisted that we stay in for nothing more than the insurance, this is not going to help our cause.
Flame away, I'm a big boy, but every attempt that our area has made to replace the current members of the EC has failed, primarily because of apathy within the ranks. With these continued hits on their pocketbooks so that a large office complex and flying site can be maintained, maybe they will change their minds.
Tommy
If so many have problems with belonging to AMA but still need insurance, I wonder why the UMA is not given any thought?
No, I don't belong, but at least UMA is an alternative and it seems that few even are aware http://www.unitedmodelers.com/ even exist.

Take care,
CCR
http://www.kites.org/rc_instructors
Old 08-24-2002, 01:20 PM
DocYates

Default UMA

I have visited thier website, but it does not make any mention of the type of coverage which is available to clubs and landowners. Maybe I could not find the info, but would certainly appreciate knowing something about it.
TOmmy
Old 08-25-2002, 12:02 AM
gpmikemorse-RCU

Default Re: Sure it's only 10 bucks but...

Also, the mag they put out is crap
I thought the September 2002 issue was really good! I liked the article "Matching Propeller to Model Mission" article, as well as the "Safety Comes First" column. A lot of people have asked why they don't make the magazine optional, but I think an organization the size of the AMA needs a vehicle for communicating with its members.
Old 08-25-2002, 12:24 AM
MikeL

I thought that article was a bit too technical. I'm not about to start working equations to figure out something that is better tested in real life. They could have put down some guidelines on proper prop selection that would have better served their readers. How many folks do you know that always, always run a 10-6 on a .40?

The magazine is marginal. I have no interest in competitions, nor do I have any interest in the various gatherings they seem to highlight so prominently. Does most of the membership really care about a SAM gathering in New York? Or a group of electric fliers in the midwest that gather yearly to celebrate near-silent flight? I doubt it.

They've got a communication tool in the form of the website. They really should make the magazine optional. If it can't stand on its own, why are we subsidizing it when the organization is facing financial problems (either real or perceived)?
Old 08-25-2002, 01:15 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

According the this page, http://www.unitedmodelers.com/pdf%20...2bchrenew.pdf, the club dues is $35
Old 08-25-2002, 03:20 AM
Dago Red
My Feedback: (11)

O.K. I got a question for all you penny pinchers.
Lets see, now if the price on glow fuel went up 10 dollars for what ever reason, what would you do. quit flying. go eletric. Now Im 17 years old, buy just about all my plane supplies and planes,pay dues. im willing to pay $10 (a weeks alowance) to help out the AMA. Remeber what that insurance is for. Ok about me--im 17 ,yes, but i do know some things and some people who are in this hobby can spend $10 extra dollars a year to fly. O.K. some of you will probably come back at me on this ---but i had to get this off my chest
Old 08-25-2002, 04:12 AM
MikeL

It's rather silly to suggest that glow fuel could double in price. When the nitro plant went up years back the price went up, but not nearly that much.
Old 08-25-2002, 04:21 AM
Dago Red

Well lets just say ive been flying about 2 years and $18 a gallon is all i know. And like i said, double for what ever reason.
Old 08-25-2002, 04:18 PM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

I know it is only $10! But it is the principle of the thing. I feel as the membership we deserve a detailed explanation of the balance sheet from last year. What was the 1.4 million spent on under the building and grounds line item? Why was the inventory on hand devalued so much? Why? Why? and Why?. I can understand another dues increase if we get more than our investmensts crashed and our insurance went up. Stamps only went up 6 cents, gasoline went up 40 cents in my area, my health insurance went up 30%, food costs are up and are going higher. It has all become much more expensive since Sept 11, I just want some details. Yes it is only a hobby, but I am tired of paying more for it. Dago Red I applaud you for paying your own hobby expenses - but do you have a house payment, a car payment, utility bills, food bills, credit card bills, do you buy your own clothes, put gas in your car, pay for auto repairs, insurance premiums, pay school expenses, taxes, or house repairs? You my friend, if you live at home, have a subsidized life. Yes it is only $10, but to a person trying to raise a family, perhaps, as I did, to enjoy this great hobby with his kids, it may be just too much money for AMA dues. Before everybody here calls us cheap, let's look at the big picture and demand a detailed accounting from AMA before we say, "it's just ten bucks".
Old 08-25-2002, 08:20 PM
Dago Red

you do have a major point. but like i said im only 17 and ive only been around for a short time. i dont drive yet, so theres no car insurance. i dont buy clothes that often--i buy my shirts--not pants. i buy some school supplies. But you my friend you have a better point than me. but i just feel that $10 is a small amount in a year. i pay for my ama membership. but, what can i say --im a teenager and as one im supposed to make sure im right and your wrong but i dont do that----i think you are right. thanks
Old 08-25-2002, 08:25 PM
pilotrc

Default AMA DUES INCREASE

I feel sorry for you guys,BUT especially for your kids...JESSSSSSS...
Old 08-26-2002, 02:43 AM
maverick
My Feedback: (12)

Originally posted by mscic
Before everybody here calls us cheap, let's look at the big picture and demand a detailed accounting from AMA before we say, "it's just ten bucks".
I think this is the crux of the whole matter! Detailed accounting and justification of the expenses please.
Old 08-26-2002, 12:05 PM
rcalfred

Default detailed accounting

Ahem....IMO If the AMA gave a "detailed accounting" the naysayers would complain that doing so cost the organization too much money. And, you would get information that would be totally ignored by most of the members, such as happens with a stock prospectus. Regards.
Old 08-26-2002, 12:27 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

Guys, lets remember this hobby is optional not mandatory.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.