Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

[b]AMA Dues Increase[b/]

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

[b]AMA Dues Increase[b/]

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2002, 06:24 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: The ama is an NPO

Originally posted by Balsageek
Since the website is www.modelaircraft.org. They have to be non profit, hence the suffix .org.
That's an incorrect assumption. There's no restriction on who can register a .org address.

I'm not certain, but I'm fairly sure that non-profits aren't required to show their books to anyone other than the agency that issues their non-profit tax exemption.

I've often wondered about the white elephant that is Muncie. Very few of us will ever go there, and almost none of us will spend significant amounts of time flying there. It's a showcase, and that's it.

Is the AMA required to open the books for us? Nope. Should they? YES. It's an organization that's there to serve its members, and ostensibly is guided by its members in a representative fashion. There is always lament within the AMA about how uninvolved its members are in elections. How are we supposed to make informed choices on the AMA ballot if we don't have an idea of where the organization stands? It's time for them to justify their positions, and to be accountable for the dues increase.
Old 08-28-2002, 06:39 PM
Balsageek

Default dot what?

Ok so technically you're correct .org, .com, and .net are public internet suffix's. However among the networking community it's sort of an unwritten rule that .org is for NPO's and Research organizations, and .com's are commercial websites. So it can be generally assumed that .org means not for profit, although it's not 100% the case.

Also, I think there are indeed some disclosure laws for NPO's. Any CPA's around here?!?

Regards,
Matt K.
CCNA/ CNA
Old 08-28-2002, 06:43 PM
Balsageek

Default Someone make sense of this

Basic Disclosure Requirements

In general, certain tax-exempt organizations must provide copies of their annual Form 990 and their application for tax exemption that they have filed with the IRS to anyone who requests them in person or in writing.

Organizations and Offices That Must Comply

These regulations apply to all 501(c)(3) public charities and all 501(c)(4)s. In fact, the regulations apply to any organization described in sections 501(c) or 501(d) of the federal tax code and exempt under section 501(a).

There are special rules describing the requirements for organizations that are local or subordinate chapters of a larger organization, regional or district offices of larger organizations, or organizations that do not maintain a permanent office. In general, these rules require that these offices and organizations must take steps to make some or all of the required documents available, though the requirements for each vary.

Documents That These Organizations Must Disclose

These tax-exempt organizations must disclose their Form 990, including all schedules and attachments, that they have filed within the last three years. This includes Forms 990-EZ or 990-BL, however organizations need not disclose Form 990-T (which reports information about unrelated businesses a tax-exempt organization may operate). Organizations may withhold the portion of their Form 990 that discloses the names and addresses of contributors, however they must disclose, upon request, the portions of the return that show the amount of compensation they have paid to certain persons.

In addition to their Form 990, these tax-exempt organizations must disclose, upon request, their application for tax-exemption, such as their Form 1023 or 1024. The organization must include all attachments and supporting documents filed with the application as well as any letter or other document they received from the IRS concerning the application. Organizations are exempt from this requirement if they filed their application for exemption before July 15, 1987, unless they still had a copy of the application on July 15, 1987. (We have no idea how organizations that are now missing their application are supposed to determine whether they had a copy of their application on that date.)

Requestors may limit their requests to certain, clearly identified portions of these documents. For example, people interested only in the amount of lobbying that an organization reports might request only Schedule A of the organization's Form 990.

Exceptions to the Disclosure Requirements.....

Organizations need not fulfill requests for documents that are part of a "harassment campaign." In general, this means that organizations need not fulfill requests when they are made as part of an effort to disrupt the organization's operations rather than collect information about the organization. Organizations are specifically permitted to disregard requests from the same individual or address that are made more frequently than twice within any 30-day period or more than four within any one-year period. Other facts can demonstrate a harassment campaign, such as a sudden increase in the number of requests, a large number of requests made via form letters, requests containing language hostile to the organization or suggesting an intent to disrupt the organization, etc. It is important to remember, however, that the mere presence of one or more of these criteria will not necessarily prove that a harassment campaign exists. To be certain that it may disregard document requests as part of a harassment campaign, an organization must receive a ruling from the IRS. More details are available in the regulations, and the IRS is expected to release a revenue ruling soon that clarifies these rules and the process for requesting and receiving rulings on harassment campaigns." Taken from www.equalitystate.org

I think part of it says what we want it too.
Old 08-28-2002, 06:49 PM
jelaird
My Feedback: (1)

Default Effects of 9-11?

My family car insurance policy just went up $200 a year and we have good driving records. The insurance company sent a letter of explaination and flat out said the events of 9-11 had caused them major expenses. I wonder if the AMA insurance policy is undergoing the same crunch.
Jack
Old 08-28-2002, 07:55 PM
Robby
My Feedback: (18)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default [b]AMA Dues Increase[b/]

jelaird,
My personal general auto policy came in with over a $350 increase.. Their answer was the same, 911 cost them.. I
sent a letter explaining I would not fund thier losses and
if they felt the need to increase my policy I would terminate.
Copy of thier increase and explaination was sent to state insurance board..
I just received new policy today from same company,, -$7-
<seven> dollar increase..
It pays to inquire..
Robby
Old 08-28-2002, 08:38 PM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

I started this thread to cause some discussion about the AMA and its questionable accounting practices. I am glad so many have taken interest in where their money goes. I do not know if a non-profit organization has to disclose its books either. But you would think that if they have nothing to hide, they would be willing to tell its membership where the money goes.

Our club also tried to roadtrip to Muncie this year and was told the only weekends open to flying was at the end of May and the end of September. So much for a national flying site!

I think that we all need to keep asking questions and demand a fair accounting of our money!!
Old 08-28-2002, 10:45 PM
Roby

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amen
Old 08-29-2002, 01:03 AM
Robby
My Feedback: (18)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Gentlemen,,
There are now three pages of *****ing about the increase of dues by the AMA.. There have been many post from people who wonder what this is,, what that is, in regards to AMA..
Now how about something constructive...
Choose a Representative to write a note both email and snaill mail
ASKING for the desired information..
Why could not cost be reduced by cutting back on magazine expenses..
What are the salaries of the employees.. Can these be reduced
either by the individual or by the board..
Why is the AMA facility charging for or refusing its use to its members when it is the members who paid and are paying for the facility..
Provide cost of insurance policy and the additional waivers..
Ask what other alternatives were looked into, as state bonding, self insuring, etc..
How much has been receive through private donations, and what it has been for previous years..

Once letter has been addressed by AMA then post it to RCU for all to see.. If answers are not comprehensive then send another letter to have them further address so that comprehensive info is made available..

As we all now know there are other options for us if we choose not to renew with AMA.. I know I would not be happy to see a major institution within the R/C hobby to fail, but I do agree that for too long AMA has failed to adequately address these issues to
the paying members who ARE the AMA..

Robby
Old 08-29-2002, 01:14 AM
Dago Red
My Feedback: (11)

I agree but i dont have time to sit down and write that letter. If I could keep planes in good shape then i could. lol. If anyone gets time let use know what the letter you send to them is.
Old 08-29-2002, 01:37 AM
bestrcpilot

The Following isfrom AMA own web Site
"AMA is a self-supporting, non-profit organization whose purpose is to promote development of model aviation as a recognized sport and worthwhile recreation activity. "
Old 08-29-2002, 01:46 AM
Dago Red

true that ( or is it true) hope we dont have another Enron deal going.
Old 08-29-2002, 09:07 AM
fliers1

The leaders of AMA are in a position of not having to answer to anyone. They can do whatever they please just as long as the 10% who vote continues to support those in control. The rest of the membership can complain, write letters, send emails until the cows come home and chances are, nothing will change, and no replies from AMA headquarters will be forthcoming.

Now if those who are very unhappy with AMA, just to protest, join http://www.unitedmodelers.com to have coverage. That will definitely send a message to AMA headquarters. This is just an objective observation.

Take care,
CCR
AMA#120734
http://www.kites.org/rc_instructors

Tell me and I will forget.
Show me and I will remember:
Involve me and I will understand.

- Confucius
Old 08-29-2002, 11:19 AM
flatspins

Default Magazine expenses?

After thumbing through my latest edition of Model Aviation, I noticed something very peculiar. Perhaps its new, or I just didn't take notice of it before.
Advertising!
Now I'm pretty sure that all those pretty full page color ads, the half page ads, and even the little 2 inch blocks describing the latest and greatest from our hobby aren't free. So I think I would be safe in saying that since other modeling magazines fund their publications with the same amount of advertising, why should our dues fund a magazine at all?
So if we're not funding a magazine, where does the money go?
Old 08-29-2002, 12:06 PM
John B

Default Re: Magazine expenses?

Originally posted by flatspins

I hear there is a really fancy clubhouse in the mid west somewhere's that cost a fortune to maintain (but I hear it sure is purdy, too bad i'll never see it)
I fly at a privately insured club dues are $ 40 bucks a year and that includes a PRIMARY ins. Let em raise the rates I aint payin it. I am at the end of my appreciation for the AMA.
Old 08-29-2002, 12:54 PM
japan3d

I'm sure glad I fly in Japan, $50 for 2 years $1,000,000 coverage, no magazine, covered any where I fly.
Old 08-29-2002, 01:17 PM
fliers1

Default Re: Magazine expenses?

Originally posted by flatspins
After thumbing through my latest edition of Model Aviation, I noticed something very peculiar. Perhaps its new, or I just didn't take notice of it before.
Advertising!
Now I'm pretty sure that all those pretty full page color ads, the half page ads, and even the little 2 inch blocks describing the latest and greatest from our hobby aren't free. So I think I would be safe in saying that since other modeling magazines fund their publications with the same amount of advertising, why should our dues fund a magazine at all?

I've been told that the cost of a full page color ad is around $3000 per month. With all the full page color ads and the rest in Model Aviation, why on earth would AMA get rid of their mag?
But I also hear that it's very expensive running a magazine.

Take care,
CCR
http://www.kites.org/rc_instructors
Old 08-29-2002, 03:22 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't think the mag pays its own way but I may be wrong. I'm sure our Mr. Holland would/could verify this...

Jerry
Old 08-29-2002, 04:48 PM
stevezero

Remember guys (and gals), a majority (large majority) have AMA membership because the club they fly at mandates it. And the AMA mandates that an AMA sponsored club carries insurance. This coverage is to put all pilots(or responsible parties) on a level field of risk management. You know that if you have to have AMA insurance to fly at a specific field, and it lessens the risk that some moron showing up out of the blue and smacking the clubhouse with his plane and burning it down, with no way to account for the losses. It implies a subconcious warm fuzzy feeling inside that even if the worst happens, at least they have insurance, because they put their little insurance (AMA) card in the impound area. This insurance (the AMA member standpoint) is a SUPPLIMENTAL policy, where it will cover up to $1,000,000 over and above what your homeowners policy covers in the event of a claim. That is if the AMA deems the claim to be a payable one. Your homeowners and medical insurance are going to pay out FIRST, not LAST. Alot of people believe the opposite to be the case. There are several caveats that have to be met (most are fundamental safety checks- AMA# in the plane, following all AMA and club/field rules/bylaws, etc). I would be interested in seeing how many claims were rejected because the pilot didnt have his AMA# in the plane. Another interesting thing to do would be to take your AMA policy to a regular insurance agent (say the one that carries your home/car/renters insurance) and see how it holds up to other policies. Even if your own club gets its own blanket insurance policy, you most likely will not be able to fly at any other AMA field without proof of membership. Participating in competitions, funflys, or fly-ins would be alot harder to do without the AMA, because the headaches involved in having each participant show/document proof of insurance would take longer than the actual contest. It's a double edged sword........

Steve
Old 08-29-2002, 08:41 PM
cdsmith

Default increase in dues

This is a little over a 20% increase in the cost of this "product". We are all actually buying a product in the fact that our major most benefit of membership is the INSURANCE. If your car insurance was increased 20% annually, You would want to know why. I do realize that it's only 10$ a year, BUT; I would like some sort of documentation that justifies this increase. It wouldn't be cost effective for the AMA to send a newsletter to EVERY member trying to justify this increase, but they do have the means by utilizing the magazine and web site. The bottom line is:I'll pay it just like everyone reading this post will; BUT I (and hopefully you) want to know WHY!! :greedy:
Old 08-29-2002, 08:45 PM
Dago Red

I kinda got a little idea--some one said something about sending a e-mail and mail to the AMA. Why not just send this forum to the AMA to let them know what people are thinking and want out of the AMA. It just a idea. What do you think?
Old 08-29-2002, 10:35 PM
rcalfred

Default "What do you think?"

I think it is time to close this post and go on to something constructive, like staring at our navels. Regards.
Old 08-29-2002, 10:39 PM
Ugo Ferrari

Good Idea Dago ! Send the whole four pages (up till now). It'll show how some of us feel out here. Maybe they'll post a reply and give us the info we desire !

Ugo Ferrari
Old 08-29-2002, 10:52 PM
FilipM

Clearly this is the end of the world....
Old 08-29-2002, 10:54 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

My intuition would be to send an email to Dr. Frank with some of these concerns, and a link to the thread. He's been the most active of the AMA leaders on the internet, but he's stuck mostly to usenet.
Old 08-29-2002, 11:28 PM
Dago Red

so if one of us sends this to the AMA--til the emailing this to them part. we could get what some of you want to see? I think its worth a try.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.