AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

NO AMA RESPONSE AFTER TWO E-MAILS ??

Old 12-18-2004, 05:43 PM
GPutt33
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default NO AMA RESPONSE AFTER TWO E-MAILS ??

I was just wondering what kind of response other AMA members have received when they have e-mailed AMA contact's per the AMA website??

I have sent two lengthy e-mails explaining that I have a list of over 760 AMA flying sites with coordinates in latitude and longitude, besides all sorts of other info, as well as live links to the clubs themselves, weather links for each as well as an aerial image. My job is in GPS / GIS (Geographical Information Systems) and at least the Company I work for seems to think I know what I'm doing.

I offered to give this to the AMA in return possibly for an annual membership for as long as I maintained it or other.

I did not even receive an e-mail from either of the two individuals that they even looked at it or would point me in the right direction.

Have felt like I've got the brush off..........

So what do you think?

By the way, if any of you are interested in what I've created, it's an Excel document which I've divided the files out by AMA Dist so they are smaller. There is also a set you can use for MSN's Streets and Trips. Just go to documents at my website if interested. Maybe you all can at least get a little out of the 100's of hours I've put into this little project. You never know where that field may be you've been by a hundred times or where are the closest fields during your next vacation.

Here is a link to [link=http://groups.msn.com/PuttsRCHomePage/]Putt's RC Home Page[/link], go to the documents page and download.

I also tried to get RCU to do something with it but we haven't been able to get together to build any kind of interface. I know RCU has a lot of Club and Field sites in their program, but actually try to use it to find a dozen actual locations.
Old 12-18-2004, 07:31 PM
J_R

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: NO AMA RESPONSE AFTER TWO E-MAILS ??

Hi Gregg

Your site shows you went to a lot of trouble to try to help your fellow AMA members. Nice Job.

A couple of questions are raised by your post.

First, you did not say who you tried to contact. It may well be that, this time of year, some folks have taken time off for the holidays. You will probably better served to try to call the individual at 1-800-I-FLY-AMA. If it was your VP, that is another matter. You might try calling him, if he is not in the lame duck category. Personally, I would call Joyce Hager and ask her who to talk to. In any case, there is really no excuse for having not received a reply.

Are you aware that each club is required to submit GPS co-ordinates by March, 2005 to obtain a charter renewal? This is a new requirement for rechartering in 2005. Along the same lines, the AMA maintains a list of clubs, that is, well... not wonderful. On the other hand, Bill Lee, an AVP for District VIII, maintains a club locator on the District VIII site that is pretty darn good.

In a more direct answer to your question, when I write the AMA I usually receive a timely response, even if it is not helpful relative to the particular issue. If I get antsy, I pick up the phone and call.

JR
Old 12-18-2004, 09:29 PM
Taildrager-inactive
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have emailed Dave Brown directly and received a email back. When buracratic noncense results in no action, go to the head man.
Old 12-18-2004, 10:49 PM
scrcc_guy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Congratulations, Man. Because it appears the requirements have been lowered, you were almost put on DB's Official Shun list. ;-p
Usually this requires a direct contradiction (in a public forum) to a DB disertation, but it would appear that unsolicited information useful to the membership now meets that level.
On a less ominous note, it's probably just that they don't have any hint of what to do with your hard wrote information.
They've been collecting basically the same info for over a year thru the club renewal process and we've seen nothing for that effort either

P.
Old 12-19-2004, 11:05 AM
GPutt33

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Guys - Well first in response to JR's questions. I choose two names out of different AMA departments that I thought would have something to do with this type of info. It's been over two months now, but I also realize we just went through the election of officers during this same time period.

As far as Bill Lee's fantastic Club Locater, I think it is great. I would highly recommend this tool for everyone when trying to find a club in a certain area.

As far as each club being required to produce coordinates for the 2005 charter membership paperwork, I heard about that about 1/2 way through gathering this info. What I have not seen is any type of consistent coordinate format. Longitude and Latitude can actually be represented in 3 different formats. They are Decimal Degrees, Degree's - Decimal Minutes (which is the most common) and then Degrees - Minutes - Decimal Seconds. Accuracy of course can vary depending on equipment, the knowledge of what projection to ask for the coordinates to be taken in, and when shown on paper how many decimal places are presented.

Taildragger - Thanks for the comment. I also like going to the source when I can't get it done any other way. May be the next option, but in a friendly sort of way, I am only wanting to share this info with everyone. If you go to AMA's site and look for clubs with links to Club Homepages, you'll find about 300+ that give enough info to actually find the club. Tower Hobbies site also has a similar list, but oddly enough it doesn't duplicate AMA's list. So what I have done is to tie these two list in together, and then add about 100 of my own.

scrcc_guy - I'm with you on this one, I don't think they know what to do with this much info. What I had a vision of was an interactive map, which you could start by clicking on to start zooming down into. As you zoomed in closer more details would show up, such as roads and city names along with the RC field locations I have. When you got close enough to determine whether your own field was on the map or not you could either click on it to see the info I've gathered or click a submit button which would bring up a form you could fill out which I would receive, and then enter your clubs info into the database. Kind of like one of those maps you see during vacation that asks you to stick a pin in representing your hometown. You could also then download either the excel version or one of the other streets and trip type formats for different software brands.

I know this map is kind of boring, but it will give you an idea of what 760+ sites look like, but I know it could easily go into the 1000's if I could find em'all. This data is a lot of fun during vacations. I've been able to show up at some fields in the middle of know where, and had a blast talking to the club members, and then explaining how I was able to locate them.

Thank you all for your appreciation of this info.
Edited to try and upload map second time.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27111.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	204534  
Old 12-19-2004, 11:23 AM
MDM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

> Here is a link to Putt's RC Home Page, go to the documents page and download.

This requires I have to apply for some kind of membership to download the file I wanted to import this into MapPoint to play with. Anyway you can provide this file for 'free' ?

MDM
Old 12-19-2004, 12:38 PM
scrcc_guy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You know, I'm normally one with a smart mouth, but this time I've got to be serious and congratulate you on a really fine effort.
I could envision this as a really useful tool which the membership could use for any of a number of applications.
Sadly, I think the sheer volume of information which you would need to complete the survey would be severely daunting for one person. Seeing the value of your project, I would hope the AMA would join in a joint effort (or at least make available their database) (without the need for lawsuits) so as to bring it to completion.

Again, fine job

P

** Oh, and I know how frustrating the GPS co-ordinates thing can be. I operate a Trimble AG134 GPS for my daytime job and it displays in degrees / decimal minutes and trying to convert to other formats can be the ultimate form of torture.
Old 12-19-2004, 12:44 PM
BillyGoat

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Gregg, I’ve never failed to receive a response to various e-mail questions from the AMA. I’m willing to bet your messages have fallen into a category of “what do I do with this?” and quite likely it’s getting forwarded around the office.

Obviously you need to work concurrently with somebody from the AMA, so you will need to locate somebody willing to take this on. Like JR mentioned I would start with your district VP to get the ball rolling.
Old 12-19-2004, 06:58 PM
Bill Lee

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Gregg;

I would be happy to incorporate the information into the Club Locator that I have built and maintain on the D-VIII web site. Several of the other Districts link to it and it has become widely used. If you're interested in working with me, contact me back-channel at Bill@WRLee.com

Regards,

Bill Lee
Old 12-21-2004, 09:38 AM
GPutt33

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Guys - Just to answer a few questions:

MDM - I use MSN's web services, and [link=http://groups.msn.com/PuttsRCHomePage/]my RC Home Page [/link]is a free part of that. I would guess that your using something other then MSN, and so this is there way of getting you to create a free MSN hot mail account. The nice thing is, it's free and easy to do, and you won't get spammed by it. I think you will receive a monthly letter from my Home Page telling you what's new, but that's about it, and I think you can opt out of even getting that. I don't have any other means of posting this info and providing it other then where I have it. And your right, you can directly import the excel files into almost any street and trip program. This is cool because you can then use it to plan trips, but you also loose the live links, so what I do is use the streets and trips style along with the excel file online to go to the clubs websites, check on the local field weather or even take a look at the aerial image to give me an idea of the surroundings. I'm afraid the aerial image is dated, but that's also why it's free to use on the web. LostOutDoors.com and the [link=http://www.lostoutdoors.com/newmap.html]MapMaker[/link] program is really nice to help to determine the coordinates.

scrcc_guy - Thanks for the compliments, I hope folks can use it. We are from Wyoming, but got transferred to Ohio in 99, so we make a minimum of 1 trip a year back home. Some how I always happen to find a club's field to stretch my legs when I need out of the car The AG134 also happens to be our standard field unit hooked up usually to a Hammerhead field computer. Glad you can relate and understand about the importance of a standard format for coordinates. I also realize how many more clubs there are that could be added, and your right, it could be pretty overwhelming. If I could figure out how to help the AMA with my background and their help, I'd like to try.

BillyGoat - Thanks for letting me know you have good luck with responses from AMA. I will try what you said and contact the Dist VP, sounds like a good contact attempt. I might wait awhile however. I accepted a transfer back home to Wyoming on Dec. 1st, and will end up in Gillette with the Sagehopper's club I hope. I did however have a heart attack on the 5th, two days before the moving truck was suppose to show up. So for now I'm doing a little rehab after receiving a couple of stents. But I'll be good to go before I know it, just one of those nasty wake up calls.

Bill Lee - My hats off to you for a very impressive club locater. If anyone hasn't used this yet they should try it, it is really cool, and it works for all Dist's as far as I can tell so far. Bill, I'll PM you, I'd love to see what we could do together with the info.

For all of you who haven't had a chance to use Dist VIII's club locater, here is the [link=http://www.ama-dist-8.org/Clubs/Locator.html]LINK[/link] to it.
Old 02-01-2005, 12:58 PM
Bill Lee

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

To follow up on this thread........

I have completely revised the Club Locator that I host on the D-8 web site. Included in it now is a link to Gregg's data that he has so wonderfully assembled. You can access it by locating clubs in your area using the standard "find within a radius" and those clubs for which Gregg has supplied data will have a "Link to GPS and Aerial Photos" as part of the output. When you click on this link, Gregg's data for that club wil be displayed.

One interesting thing available there is a link to the aerial photos that Gregg used to find the GPS coordinates, as well as a link to the Weather Underground for the associated city.

Take a look:

http://www.AMA-Dist-8.org/Clubs/Locator.php

or

http://www.AMA-Dist-8.org/Clubs/Locator.html

Give me feedback, or write to Gregg as needed.

Regards,

Bill Lee
Webmaster
AMA District VIII
Old 02-01-2005, 04:49 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

think there may be just a bit of apprehension on the part of some of the Muncie staff when the rank and file membership come up with ideas and programs that might mean more work for them, or on the other-hand eliminate the need for their job at some time or another. It was an uphill fight for Bill Lee to get some of his great programs implemented but he has set a precedent. With the ability to take on meaningful tasks from remote locations we will no doubt see more opportunities where volunteers individually or as a group can make a significant contribution. In order to get anywhere with these we have to be sensitive to their concerns (real or perceived) and work through our elected officials to promote the ideas. I'm sure with time and some patience that we can make great strides in this direction and overcome the NIH syndrome.
Old 02-03-2005, 01:54 PM
A320driver
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Doesn't surprise me one bit that you didn't hear back from them. Last 2 competition sanctions that I have applied for, in both cases I had to phone Muncie several times along with emails to get any response. Just a couple of weeks ago I spent over 1/2 hour going around the answer system trying to get hold of a real person. Extension numbers that were published in the AMA magazine were invalid. I belong to the AMA because I have to in order to fly. I applied for sanction, only because my club requires it. I'm sorry but the folks up in Muncie do not impress one bit! As for my District VP, he is a complete waste of space, 3 emails, not one reply. I even included my phone number to saving him the time of typing a reply.