Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA rule?

Old 01-07-2005, 05:01 PM
jeffo
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AMA rule?

At our field a guys plane went down in a field.There were a hand full of guys there. The guy went to find his plane,but could not find it.He then left the field.One of the guys at the field then went to find it,and he found it.Since the mans plane did not have his name in it,the guy who found it,refuses to return it.The officers of our club refuse to deal with it.A fist fight broke out because of it.As an AMA member I can't find anything that pertains to this.Personally the mans a thief,and I'd kick him out of the club.
-the crazy part,they're all senior citizens
Old 01-07-2005, 05:31 PM
the-plumber

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AMA rule?

Safety Code, General, Item 5.
Old 01-07-2005, 06:29 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

-the crazy part,they're all senior citizens
Conflicts at the field will almost always involve seniors. It could be the onset of degenerative neurological disorders. I don't know what you call it. They may appear to be very stubborn or unreasonable. But I believe it is a symptom common to several diseases.

There are no physical or mental requirements to fly models. Considering the energy and force with which one of these models can strike a person, I would conclude the party exhibiting such behavior is dangerous to himself and to others.

Although we should not make club rules forbidding mentally/physically ill members, we should have rules pertaining to behavior. Such rules would help protect ourselves form people that should not be flying.
Old 01-07-2005, 06:34 PM
SSRCCPREZ

Ummm.... Commandment 3 of 10 though shalt not steal. Even without a name and phone number the thief in question knows who's it is and that is wrong!!!!

However, I would probably toss the two of them out of a club for the fist fight,but it would never have come to that in our club because the officers of our club would have done something immediately about the situation. The officers here are really partly to blame. Anyway you look at it, it is a sad situation.
Old 01-07-2005, 06:40 PM
Live Wire

It is hard to believe that adult people would act like that. The man that found the plane should return it , what would he have done if it was his plane and the man that found it went out of his way to get it back to him. It take all kind iin this world![&o]

[8D]
Old 01-07-2005, 06:42 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Actually the thief should have his arse kicked by EVERYONE in the club...but should not be kicked out! Everytime he shows up just kick his arse some more![X(]
Old 01-07-2005, 06:58 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

Actually the thief should have his arse kicked by EVERYONE in the club...but should not be kicked out! Everytime he shows up just kick his arse some more![X(]

Throw enough darts and eventually one hits the target. L.c.s finally hit the target.

The best way that I have seen a model airplane club thief punished -- and it is kicking his ***** in a way/manner -- is to be totally ignored by the club's membership.

Let him pay his dues but IGNORE his presence. At most, a simple "Hello, how are you today, Fine, see ya' sometime." Then absolutely nothing more. It works. Eventually they just go away.
Old 01-07-2005, 07:17 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

Throw enough darts and eventually one hits the target. L.c.s finally hit the target.

Darts? Hell I use a shotgun and have never...ever missed the target You must be thinking bout someone else[8D]
Old 01-07-2005, 07:36 PM
abel_pranger

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

The best way that I have seen a model airplane club thief punished -- and it is kicking his ***** in a way/manner -- is to be totally ignored by the club's membership.

Let him pay his dues but IGNORE his presence. At most, a simple "Hello, how are you today, Fine, see ya' sometime." Then absolutely nothing more. It works. Eventually they just go away.
Good on ya, Hoss. Fine old American custom brought here by Palatine immigrants of a particular spiritual leaning, to PA and other NE states. Shunning does indeed work - not as satisfying as arse kicking in the instant, but effective nonetheless.

Abel
Old 01-07-2005, 07:43 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: kingwoodbarney

Conflicts at the field will almost always involve seniors.

And what percentage of the people that keep your field up and running are seniors?

Although we should not make club rules forbidding mentally/physically ill members, we should have rules pertaining to behavior. Such rules would help protect ourselves form people that should not be flying.
Good, and while you are at it you might make some rules to protect all the working seniors that keep the club going while the rest of you free load on their efforts.
Old 01-07-2005, 08:31 PM
Live Wire

Sorry but what school do they go to , The school of hard nocks?[]

Edit for spelling
[8D]
Old 01-08-2005, 12:04 AM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Good, and while you are at it you might make some rules to protect all the working seniors that keep the club going while the rest of you free load on their efforts
Red, most of my flying buddies are seniors. Most of my friends are seniors. Seniors can be the sweetest, dearest, and wisest people in anyone's life.
And you are absolutely correct that seniors run most of the clubs.

If they want to run the club and it makes them happy, it just fine with me. And I quietly giggle as they spend the clubs money on stove tops and refrigerators and outhouse wallpaper. You see red, that is the pay off. While I am at work paying social security and medicare taxes, they get to piddle all day at the field if they like. They can fix it up just like home if they want. We give them that. And everyone understands that everyone is paying into society in some way.

But abnormal behavior that threatens my (senior) friends is not acceptable. And club officers, usually seniors, are not always able to act like police.

When a mature person suddenly begins to steal and fight, something is wrong with them. And both of these behaviors in a mature person can be symptoms of an underlying illness. Typically the next symptom is mild dementia. A person exhibiting these behaviors should probably not be flying anymore. Let them pick the wallpaper. And if they think that is unfair, let them sit at home. I would also recommend contacting a family member and making them aware of the behavior.
Old 01-08-2005, 12:17 AM
c/f
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Rule 5 does not state that it be visible or else every scale plane would be in violation, Ya I like to put mine on the underside of the foam wing planking prior to gluing , ya thats where it is.......8-)
Old 01-08-2005, 01:25 AM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: SSRCCPREZ

Ummm.... Commandment 3 of 10 though shalt not steal. Even without a name and phone number the thief in question knows who's it is and that is wrong!!!!

However, I would probably toss the two of them out of a club for the fist fight,but it would never have come to that in our club because the officers of our club would have done something immediately about the situation. The officers here are really partly to blame. Anyway you look at it, it is a sad situation.
You had best follow the rules when you do that and provide for due process. Your bylaws have to provide for that action, or you will find yourself without AMA insurance if the culprit sues, and it HAS happened.

I was in the Marine Corps, and I like both of littlecrankshaf's ideas best of all so far. However the comment about possible health changes and dementia are not to be ignored. Physical violence at the flying field should always result in a 911 call and appropriate charges. That way the authorities get to decide what the problem is rather than you getting stuck in the middle.

C/F I put mine on the forward side of the number 1 former. And on the reverse side of the #3 one. And on the reverse side of the turtle deck. And on the face of the wing mount block. And. . . .

Yet I STILL had a crash carried off before I could get to it. Recovered the engine in a flea market a month later (initials on the mounting lugs and all) for $7.
Old 01-08-2005, 07:53 AM
typicalaimster

ORIGINAL: jeffo

Personally the mans a thief,and I'd kick him out of the club.
I'd suggest a tire iron to the front window. The cost of repair is about the same as an airplane. Not to mention if you bust it up enough the cost of tow, or the traffic ticket on the way home will add up. If that fails I'd suggest a gallon of 15% nitro in the gas tank.

--SF
Old 01-08-2005, 08:58 AM
Hossfly

If that fails I'd suggest a gallon of 15% nitro in the gas tank.
Hey Man, don't waste good Nitro or glow fuel. That's fer flyin' toy airplanes.

A lot less expensive is a cup of sugar or a pint of syrup. Works wonders and methinks insurance doesn't pay mechanical damages. [X(]
Old 01-08-2005, 09:52 AM
yard-dart
My Feedback: (35)

Although the situation is sad, I'd have paid money to see that fight. Too hard a puch and the decaying bone caused by the osteopourosis would break like a twig. Watch that fall, might break a hip! You can't knock his teeth out, he doesn't have any, not the originals anyway! That had to be a sight.

On a more serious note, my local club has written in the bylaws that the only way a person be removed from the club is by vote. Once a person is voted out, their pride should keep them from trying to come back, I would think anyway. If they tried, then call the local authorities and have them arrested.

All of this sounds a bit overboard, but something has to be done, regardless of who they are or what age they may be. Some older fella, whose mind may be going a tad bit bad, may decide that the black eye he sustained from getting his ass kicked may be justified by running his plane into his foes skull. You never know! Don't say it couldn't happen!

There may need to be a club rule posted for all to see, explaining the fair processes when finding a lost plane.

John
Old 01-08-2005, 11:39 AM
tazzdevl1

Has anyone thought about calling the local Law Enforcement in on this?
Old 01-08-2005, 03:46 PM
Live Wire

I think we got Suckered again!!! Hook Line and Sinker

[8D]
Old 01-08-2005, 04:06 PM
Pilotsmoe

If that fails I'd suggest a gallon of 15% nitro in the gas tank.
Hey Man, don't waste good Nitro or glow fuel. That's fer flyin' toy airplanes.

A lot less expensive is a cup of sugar or a pint of syrup. Works wonders and methinks insurance doesn't pay mechanical damages. [X(]
naw, who carries syrup with them at all times? Methinks taking a wizz in his tank would work just as good. When you got to go, you gotta go
Old 01-08-2005, 11:09 PM
Jim Thomerson

Sugar doesn't dissolve in gasoline. It just sits in the sump at the bottom of the tank. I suppose you could eventually clog a filter with it. Maybe if you have enough water in your gas tank you could get it to go through and burn, thereby carboning the engine up. Have you ever burned sugar? You end up with a hard chunk of black carbon.

Putting the guy in Coventry sounds reasonable and gives no legal recourse.
Jim
Old 01-09-2005, 10:22 AM
rw Guinn

yeah--
"Myth Busters" on Discovery Channel pretty well debunked the sugar theory. water and bleach, however, were different stories..
Old 01-09-2005, 10:25 AM
jehold66203

The rule book also says the AMA number and/or ID has to be easily accesable. -DOC
Old 01-09-2005, 02:45 PM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

While your way helps insure more probable return of airframes, I thought it said "in or on" rather than easily accessible.
Old 01-09-2005, 06:24 PM
bdavison

Well...

This kind of stuff is insane. I cant believe it when I read stuff like this. Grow up for cryin out loud. Some of these flyers are acting like absolute children.

If it was my plane, and someone ran off with it....they would get a written request in the mail asking for my plane back. If they didnt give it back, the next letter would be a subpeona to be in small claims court.

At the very least the club members should ban the thief from the flying field for unsportsman like behavior. Most club's memberships include a clause which says "Membership can be denied at the clubs discretion." or something similar.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.