AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Helping Dr. Frank, D-VIII DVP

Old 12-22-2004, 03:58 PM
Hossfly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Helping Dr. Frank, D-VIII DVP

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Sent: Dec 21, 2004 8:58 PM
To: AMA D-8 Modeling List <AMA-Dist-8@eskimo.com>
Subject: [D8-L] from: VicePres@AMA-Dist-8.org

Hello, D8 AMA Members,
The following is scheduled:
The AMA EC and others will attend:
"""February 12-13, 2005
Long Range/Strategic Planning Meeting
Indianapolis, Indiana
((Facilitator to be named.. ))"""

I am in NEED of what additionally (and/or better) that
"YOU" think the AMA is in need of doing/providing for the membership??

I have asked for this type of feedback in the recent past.
(and if you have replied I do have your input...)
But there are Hundreds of AMA District 8 members on this list...
so please share this request FAR and WIDE !!
Please reply to me personally and directly via email at: VicePres@AMA-Dist-8.org

Posting to this or any other list may be seen by others..
but well may not be seen by ME and that is who counts when it comes to seeing YOUR input.

Sandy Frank
VicePres@AMA-Dist-8.org
2004-12-21
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Dr. Frank;

In my opinion there are two items that are of the utmost importance for AMA to increase its membership and become a much stronger part of the aeromodeling society.

One item is to gain an inroad into those model fliers that are now involved with the new interests in the electric small model market. To do this AMA needs to display a reason for those people to become AMA members. You and I know many reasons, however the newer small model fan will only see the cost advantage or just maybe, the peer factor.
Since the cost advantage is almost impossible to present, I suggest the AMA embark on the "Peer Factor". In today's society, especially with those under forty years of age, peer acceptance is where the market-value lies. Cars, homes, kids and their activities, etc., and, etc., must all be in the mode of "Everyone is doing it." Dr. Frank, while probably you, and I, for certain, approached modeling on a much more individualistic concept, that characteristic is almost a historic item. Today being part of the "IN" crowd is the thing.
How can that be achieved? While the overall method/s may be very long term, in the shorter "long range" AMA could use the free publicity, so well abundant, to enhance the model aviation experience.
Assure that the USA State Department is well aware of the good foreign public relations for ALL AMA supported FAI activities. Assure that all the major News Networks are advised of same. Be definite in advising these units as to when, where, who, and for what reason an AMA FAI Team is going forth to bring goodwill among the world! Be certain that each team-member's hometown local TV News and papers are so advised.
Assure that all major Media Networks are well aware of all the National Events being hosted by AMA. While it may take months or a few years, attention will come. THIS IS NOT ANOTHER JOB FOR THE CD, BUT FOR AMA ADMINISTRATION.
All NATS competitors should be required to furnish address information -- NO EXCEPTION -- for their local News Media and AMA should insure that these media units also get information IMMEDIATELY after the performance of that competitor, especially for Juniors and Seniors.
The end result is that AMA is spreading good news about individuals and the word gets out that these people are doing "COOL" things. Local people become more aware of this 'cool' stuff. Local politicians become more interested in facilities. With dedication and persistence, the acceptance of this worthwhile recreational activity, known as model aviation can began to grow.

Those that come into AMA with the small electrics will also grow in numbers. Those that need large flying facilities will find much better acceptance among the local hierarchy. The cost to AMA will be insignificant when compared to the long range investment.

The second item is to make the magazine Model Aviation (MA) either a newsletter or a PROFIT CENTER. Personally I can see absolutely no reason that the AMA Executive Council should allow the AMA Headquarters to permit the magazine staff to undercut advertising rates of the commercial magazines while attempting to produce a commercial magazine at the expense of the individual member and/or the collective membership.
Personally, for AMA's long range well-being, I would prefer to see a profit-making MA on the newsstands along with other magazines. I would like the MA to be competitively priced within the advertising so that other magazines might also support AMA activities as they so did in time long past. MA on the newsstands and not restricted "to the CHOIR" so to speak could also entice many people into the AMA fold. Regardless of the gripes so well posted, IMO the vast majority of modelers well recognize the importance of organized modeling activities and a national organization.
While at the current time I am researching a significant amount of information pertaining to this second item, for this time I can only say the EC should stand firm on MA as a Taxable-Income Profit-Center or be reduced to the Newsletter function required by the US IRC.
To do less is definitely a strong detriment to both the prospective AMA member, the current membership, and to the sport/hobby of model aviation and also a gross disregard of the AMA Bylaws, especially in the function of promoting model aviation.

Respectfully submitted

Horrace D. Cain
AMA Leader Member L 93
Old 12-22-2004, 04:48 PM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Helping Dr. Frank, D-VIII DVP

Horrace,
The value of your ideas is not debatable when considered by Dr. H. Sanford Frank. He clearly seems to have some serious psychological problems when anything he did not think of comes from those he has decided to expunge from his view. That seems to include you and I, whether we disagree or not.

Too bad, but that is the Dr.'s way and decision as is proved by his refusal to even acknowledge direct e-mails THAT HE ASKED FOR from Leader Members HE did not appoint. I suspect (based on some e-mail after the last election) that those communications are deleted without being read. It is clear that he seems to have taken the stance that anything that does not bow down to him is a personal attack and that includes all AMA members starting with those in District VIII. Certainly I consider that to be a cowards way of doing business, so it is no surprise.
Old 12-22-2004, 05:23 PM
Hossfly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Jim, no argument there between you and I. (Wha' dat fallin' tru dat dare roof?)

Anyway the points are on record. [8D]
Old 12-22-2004, 05:53 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

When I suggested the the EC relook at sending MA only to those that wanted it and perhaps give a small dues discount for those that opt out this was the response.

"Hello, All,

With RED and some others that he has stirred up on the internet
contacting many on the AMA EC &
begging them to CANCEL their subscription to MA..
and give them a DISCOUNT !!!"

So much for inputs to Dr. NO from those not in his inner circle. No only does he misread them but lies about what was sent . . . . straight from the shoulder![:@] I never "begged" them to cancel my subscription to MA and give me a discount.
Old 01-12-2005, 04:21 AM
SoonerAce
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Specifically, it would be nice to see more activities posted in MA about D8. I get most of my events info from word of mouth, even though they say that they posted info with MA and AMA about upcoming events. D8 is just as active as the others, it just seems that theres no published schedule to help us newbies be more active in the hobby. This can be filtered down to the local club level, I am sure. but thats a subject for a separate thread.
SoonerAce AMA#816597
Old 01-12-2005, 08:05 AM
Bill Lee

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: SoonerAce

Specifically, it would be nice to see more activities posted in MA about D8. I get most of my events info from word of mouth, even though they say that they posted info with MA and AMA about upcoming events. D8 is just as active as the others, it just seems that theres no published schedule to help us newbies be more active in the hobby. This can be filtered down to the local club level, I am sure. but thats a subject for a separate thread.
SoonerAce AMA#816597
Have you visited the District VIII web site recently? Or ever? Among other things is the Event Calendar which lists all sanctioned events in the District as well as whatever folks will send me about unsanctioned stuff. The event calendar will show sanctioned events before they ever see AMA and their listings: Model Aviation or their website.

And then there is the e-mail list which I run that, while having subscribers from around the country, is dominantly oriented towards those of us in this District. The list is moderated and is intended for modeling banter (politics, name-calling and off-topic posts are normally dis-allowed). Postings about "stuff" that's happening in the District are routine. You can find out how to access it by (surprise!) visiting the D-8 web site.

http://www.AMA-Dist-8.org/

Regards,

Bill Lee
Old 01-12-2005, 08:20 AM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Gee whiz, Bill, you are such a spoil sport.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:28 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think these are great suggestions, it is unfortunate if these messages get lost because of the messenger or any past politics...too bad.

I have talked to Dr. Frank, I found his positions to be very thoughtful and his interaction with the rest of the EC to be very positive...of course I have the luxury of not having a "history" so I understand my views are biased.

Back to the body of the original message:

I am not sure what was the catalyst for these strategic meetings, maybe the new ED wants to get a running start, maybe something else. Anyway I think it is a good idea.

I can tell you my concerns with the direction the AMA is going. I can see the possibility of the AMA "imploding", by way of a continued dropoff in membership.

The sport is FULL of younger (30-40) participants (hundreds fly at my field every week), but most official and semi official AMA activities are filled with much older members, and this "bubble" of older members are passing away. . If the trend we are seeing now continues and the membership continues to drop, then dues will have to rise, no meaningful cost controls will be in place till it is too late and then BANG..the AMA drops below a critical mass and goes bankrupt.

So while Horrace is pushing a "build up the membership" strategy (which I think is great) I would push for a "batten down the hatches and slash costs" strategy as well, while we still have money. I have been to this Muncie facility, and it is big and I am sure very costly to operate. Most government or NGOs have a hell of a time cutting costs. And like almost any other activity, a major cost is the salaries. So until people walk out the door, the costs remain....very hard to deal with until you are staring the gun barrel in the face...and by then it is too late.

I also share Horrace's views of the magazine...that thing should make money or be dropped. And I am not biting on this newsletter requirement, you know the one that says we will loose our tax exempt status without a newsletter....gotta be a way around that in this "online" and environmentally conscious world we live in now. Throw AMA support to one or more of the commercial mags to get favorable coverage...I have yet to see an article in a magazine really push the AMA...maybe even the magazines do not believe it is needed, I do not know.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:22 PM
Hossfly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

SoonerAce AMA#816597

SoonerAce (SA) Bill lee has already given you some info. The D-8 web site is usually as current as it gets ref. intended activities. As for the D-8 list, I can't say as BL will not allow me on the list. 'nother story.[&o]

Doug "Chief" Powell is a super outstanding RCCC. He does a first-class job and the coordination is done poste-haste. If a problem exists it's usually with those clubs/CDs that are trying to cover the next week-end's event and wonder why it isn't already in the magazine.
Chief gets the stuff to BL and it's on the D-8 web very quickly.

IMO, Steve Kaluf has the best organized department at AMA. The Contest Calendar is also first rate. Yet, it's not Kaluf's problem/fault when a CD only starts planning something 11 months behind the time he should have.[:-]

So, SA, check the D-8 listing fairly frequently and you will be right up there in the super-informed list. Subscribe to the D-8 mail list and you will be better informed, however IMO one has to not disagree with any of the party-line or the subscription will get canceled. Only you, yourself, can handle that one properly.[8D]
Old 01-12-2005, 02:41 PM
J_R

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Addressing issue with MA only:

Several years ago, I read through the requirements to maintain the IRS status which the AMA holds. Several times, the suggestion that newsletter be produced in electronic format was raised on different forums. I reviewed the IRS requirements a few months ago, and found that they had changed. For lack of the correct term, I will call them tests. One of the tests is the publication of a magazine. Not just a newsletter, but, a magazine that is actually printed and mailed. Not all of the tests must be passed. In looking at the tests, others, such as getting the museum accredited (which it is not now) or holding on campus educational classes MIGHT be acceptable methods to circumvent the publication of a newsletter and/or magazine.

In talking to the Executive Vice President/CFO, Doug Holland, I found that my interpretation was essentially correct. There are other tests than those mentioned, which the AMA does appear to pass, and others they do not. In the view of Dave Brown, and Doug Holland, the AMA has a marginal right to the 501 (c) 3 IRS status it now posesses. Both would like to see the museum accredited to bolster the status. It will not be an inexpensive proposition to accredit the museum. It is extremely likely that a new building might be required, along with other changes. Accreditation is done by an outside authority and not by an assertion from the AMA that it meets such requirements as are necessary.

In discussing the magazine, it was brought up, by everyone I talked to about it, that very little is raised though subscriptions (negligible for all practical purposes). Since this unit of the AMA is taxable, it makes no sense to set aside, in the accounting sense, money from the membership for subscriptions. As a result, Model Aviation is a magazine without the offset of a subscription base. Again, looking at it only from an accounting view, it has to be supported by other means than a normal magazine. The only other means, of any consequence, apparent to me, is advertising revenue.

IIRC, it has been suggested here, that the EC mandate a 20% ROI on MA. That’s all fine and good, but, I have a question. How, without the revenue from subscriptions? The current direct cost of Model Aviation magazine of about $1.9 million, plus staff costs, which we can only guess at, bringing the cost of MA to $2.1-2.3 million (?). While I certainly have questions about the advertising revenue, some of which I have previously raised here, I can not see any way the advertising revenue can go from the current $851,032 to $2.15 million (?), much less doing it without increasing the costs of advertising, which such a feat would require. Least we not forget those negligible subscriptions, they account for about $80,000.

While I suppose that having MA on news stands might bring in some amount, I doubt that the net revenue would be much. Just as aside, I can not remember seeing the NRA, or AAA in house magazines being displayed in news stands, but, admit they might be somewhere.

In a discussion with Rob Kurek, he noted that several of the traditional magazines have decreasing circulation. He attributed some of that to the internet. Never the less, does anyone believe RCM or MAN would exist if they had no subscriptions?

IIRC, the same poster who suggested 20% ROI has, in the past, made an assertion that the $18 subscription rate shown on Model Aviation’s masthead IS set aside for the use of Model Aviation magazine. If that were the case, and AMA has 150,000 members who receive the magazine, that would produce subscription income of $2.7 million. IF that were the case, MA is already has a ROI approaching 25% WITHOUT ANY additional advertising revenue.

I am neither a tax expert, nor a publications expert. It appears to me that MA will be with us for some length of time, without the option to not subscribe to it. It also appears to me that it will continue to be produced at a loss, regardless of what actions might be taken to change the amount of the loss.

Can the loss be reduced? Maybe.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:00 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I get about 15 magazines a month for free. Some call them trade journals (ECN, PDD, Embedded Systems Design, ECN, etc.) but they look just like magazines.

No subscription fee, and no underwriting by dues to an organization.......they are all paid for by advertising.

IF MA cannot cover the cost with the advertising???
Old 01-12-2005, 07:56 PM
SoonerAce

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ok! Ok! [:@]Now that I've stirred a response from the well informed. Let me clarify what I was attempting to illustrate. I had said, I wished that there were more posted D8 events, when what I meant was I wished there were more Oklahoma events. I realize as a whole D8 has as many events, if not more than the rest of the Districts. But if you check out the D8 calendar, Oklahoma doesnt have anything listed until June. [X(]Its not the fault of D8 , Sandy Frank, Bill Lee, or Les Barry, for that matter. But it would be nice(Not recommended, mandated, requested or demanded) if Oklahomas clubs, chartered or not, would post events and happenings with MA, since that is the premier publication that most of us AMA members recieve regularly. So I suppose this is a Rah Rah for the Oklahoma Clubs to get the info out, either through MA or RCU. Sorry to ruffle feathers, but sometimes its a good way to get the hens a layin again.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:10 PM
J_R

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Matt

I am not familiar with the particular publications you mentioned. I have, however, seen a number of trade journals from different trades. If the ones you get are of similar format to the ones I am thinking of, about 80% of the pages are devoted to advertising. There is usually some editorial, then a few “articles” which are either written by the same editor, or appear to have come from a product brochure, or industry spokesman (probably at negligible cost to the publisher). The entire intent is to sell advertising and make a profit. Doing a Google search on “trade journal publishers” turns up a large selection of publishers that do this for many different clients.

I do not have all the answers. As a matter of fact I have just a few. I did ask a lot of very pointed questions relative to this topic. Among other things I found no EC member that can be called an expert on magazine publications… at least in my estimation. This is as I would expect it to be. The EC sets policy, the ED is in charge of day to day operations, and a professional staff has been hired, involved with publications and with MA in particular. While I do not expect the EC members, or the ED, to be able to answer questions about publishing, I do expect them to ask questions.

What I have found out, is that there are IRS and Postal regulations that limit the advertising content of educational publications, which is what MA MUST BE. When I asked what the limits were, no EC member was able to answer definitively. One staffer tried to baffle me with BS and said we could sell 75% advertising if we wanted. That is a true statement, but, not within the IRS/Postal guidelines. It appears that the acceptable advertising limit is somewhere around 30 to40% of the pages published. Some large percentage of the articles must be “educational content”. I did not get a definitive answer to that percentage either, although I considered it of secondary interest. I suppose that is why we see so many articles aimed at newbies.

When you couple the 35% (?) advertising content with the fact that the financial statement shows it costs over 90 cents to produce 1 dollars worth of advertising revenue, it leads to a very logical progression of questions. I hope the EC members ask them. The only reasonable explanation for the ratio of cost of advertising to advertising revenue being so high came from Dave Brown. He pointed out that in expensing costs, it makes sense to expense them to a unit that is taxable, rather than a non-taxable unit, since doing such reduces the overall taxes due. While logical, after reviewing the costs in the financial statement, I can see where it might account for a few cents on the dollar… not much more.

If necessary, and unless some very pointed questions can be answered to their satisfaction, the EC needs to bring in an outside firm to review the operation of MA, IMHO. It is certainly possible that the magazine is being run in an efficient and creditable way, but, the EC needs to KNOW.
Old 01-13-2005, 12:40 AM
Hossfly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

JR:

Your posts in this Dr. Frank thread have nothing to do with the thread itself. I posted what I think should be considered for long range planning.
Even SoonerAce's post had little to do with the thread. I just wanted to help him redirect however he turned around into a different direction on his on.

Your posts are there to argue with me about my concept. Actually the position of AMA staffers is very plain. I do not need to ask one a question as the evidence is there before my eyes as to their answer. If the MA objective was other than to provide employment for a selected group of good 0l' boys, then that could be seen.

I am using some of your statements in another thread. BTW the (".....I can not remember seeing the NRA, or AAA in house magazines being displayed in news stands, ...") NRA IS NOT A tax exempt unit. The foundation is but NOT NRA. I am also a Life Member of NRA, and a Charter Founder of the Second Amendment Task Force. I OPT to take a monthly NRA magazine called AMERICA's FIRST FREEDOM. NRA has several mags. aimed at the different member desires.

There is no comparison between the NRA and AMA.

Oh, and I suppose that you believe Dan Rather had no political objectives!![:@]
Old 01-13-2005, 02:27 AM
abel_pranger

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: J_R

Hi Matt

I am not familiar with the particular publications you mentioned. I have, however, seen a number of trade journals from different trades. If the ones you get are of similar format to the ones I am thinking of, about 80% of the pages are devoted to advertising. There is usually some editorial, then a few “articles” which are either written by the same editor, or appear to have come from a product brochure, or industry spokesman (probably at negligible cost to the publisher). The entire intent is to sell advertising and make a profit. Doing a Google search on “trade journal publishers” turns up a large selection of publishers that do this for many different clients.

I do not have all the answers. As a matter of fact I have just a few. I did ask a lot of very pointed questions relative to this topic. Among other things I found no EC member that can be called an expert on magazine publications… at least in my estimation. This is as I would expect it to be. The EC sets policy, the ED is in charge of day to day operations, and a professional staff has been hired, involved with publications and with MA in particular. While I do not expect the EC members, or the ED, to be able to answer questions about publishing, I do expect them to ask questions.

What I have found out, is that there are IRS and Postal regulations that limit the advertising content of educational publications, which is what MA MUST BE. When I asked what the limits were, no EC member was able to answer definitively. One staffer tried to baffle me with BS and said we could sell 75% advertising if we wanted. That is a true statement, but, not within the IRS/Postal guidelines. It appears that the acceptable advertising limit is somewhere around 30 to40% of the pages published. Some large percentage of the articles must be “educational content”. I did not get a definitive answer to that percentage either, although I considered it of secondary interest. I suppose that is why we see so many articles aimed at newbies.

When you couple the 35% (?) advertising content with the fact that the financial statement shows it costs over 90 cents to produce 1 dollars worth of advertising revenue, it leads to a very logical progression of questions. I hope the EC members ask them. The only reasonable explanation for the ratio of cost of advertising to advertising revenue being so high came from Dave Brown. He pointed out that in expensing costs, it makes sense to expense them to a unit that is taxable, rather than a non-taxable unit, since doing such reduces the overall taxes due. While logical, after reviewing the costs in the financial statement, I can see where it might account for a few cents on the dollar… not much more.

If necessary, and unless some very pointed questions can be answered to their satisfaction, the EC needs to bring in an outside firm to review the operation of MA, IMHO. It is certainly possible that the magazine is being run in an efficient and creditable way, but, the EC needs to KNOW.
JR-
What you have brought up, when you get to the nitty gritty, is just a couple of the countless rationalizations we have heard for AMA expenses we pay to maintain the facade of being a non-profit organization operating in the public interest. I really have to question whether the amount not paid in taxes due to favored status with IRS outweighs the expenditures in the pursuit of maintaining tax exemption. I'm not a tax expert, but I do calculate my taxes based on various 'what ifs,' as in what if I cash in on an investment this year vs doing sometime in the future, i.e., is it better to pay the taxes or avoid or defer them. I don't expect you to be a tax expert either, so the question is somewhat rhetorical - perhaps the EVP could answer it, if he would address it: What would it cost AMA (us) in taxes if it were not exempt? How does that figure compare to what is being spent to do what is thought to be minimally required to maintain tax-exempt status? I see the 'public good' done by AMA as being a pittance relative to the benefits available exclusively to dues-paying members, and as such the favored tax status seems very tenuous. Any thoughts on whether it is really worth the costs involved in persisting the attempt to hang on to it?

Abel
Old 01-13-2005, 03:20 AM
SoonerAce

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

[quote]ORIGINAL: Hossfly

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Sent: Dec 21, 2004 8:58 PM
To: AMA D-8 Modeling List <AMA-Dist-8@eskimo.com>
Subject: [D8-L] from: VicePres@AMA-Dist-8.org

Hello, D8 AMA Members,
The following is scheduled:
The AMA EC and others will attend:
"""February 12-13, 2005
Long Range/Strategic Planning Meeting
Indianapolis, Indiana
((Facilitator to be named.. ))"""

I am in NEED of what additionally (and/or better) that
"YOU" think the AMA is in need of doing/providing for the membership??
Old 01-13-2005, 03:39 AM
J_R

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Abel

Actually, the subject did come up. There are several issues that would have to be addressed should the AMA lose the status, not the least of which is the Indiana state educational bonds issued when the AMA refinanced it's debt a couple of years ago. There was no specifc dollar amount discussed, but a discussion with Dave Brown, and then with EVP Doug Holland did take place. I think it is fair to say the general conclusion of both is that it is desirable to maintain the status. Losing it would put the AMA in a less desirable financial position, but the AMA would probably survive.

I was unaware of it, but a number of years ago, the IRS did revoke the status and it took some time and a change policies to have the status reinstated.

I very much doubt that Doug Holland would spend the time to do more than give an informed opinion. Producing a projection would take a substantial amount of time for something that barely raises to the level of a "what if". If you or someone else wants to call him and ask, please do. I can tell you that he does not view a change of IRS status in a positive light.

As to my own thoughts, as I said, I have very few answers and a lot of questions. Many were asked, and hopefully, over time, they will be answered.

Perhaps this discussion does not belong in a thread that started with a request for information to be sent to Sandy Frank privately, and a specific request not to post it on the net. It is where the discussion led, and where I chose to respond.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:52 AM
Bill Lee

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ok! Ok! [:@]Now that I've stirred a response from the well informed. Let me clarify what I was attempting to illustrate. I had said, I wished that there were more posted D8 events, when what I meant was I wished there were more Oklahoma events. I realize as a whole D8 has as many events, if not more than the rest of the Districts. But if you check out the D8 calendar, Oklahoma doesnt have anything listed until June. [X(]Its not the fault of D8 , Sandy Frank, Bill Lee, or Les Barry, for that matter. But it would be nice(Not recommended, mandated, requested or demanded) if Oklahomas clubs, chartered or not, would post events and happenings with MA, since that is the premier publication that most of us AMA members recieve regularly. So I suppose this is a Rah Rah for the Oklahoma Clubs to get the info out, either through MA or RCU. Sorry to ruffle feathers, but sometimes its a good way to get the hens a layin again.
Hey, SA! Now that I have your attention!

Horace pretty much summed up the process: I get the sanctioned event listings immediately from the District's Contest Coordinators, and I update the D-8 Calendar quickly. Usually before the sanction application gets from the Contest Coordinator to AMA HQs. If there are no listings for Oklahoma until June, it's because nobody in Oklahoma has sanctioned an event earlier than that! Understand that I DON'T get the information for the non-flying sanctions, since those applications are sent directly to AMA HQs instead of passing through a District Contest Coordinator. Consequently, I need the clubs to send that information to me directly in order to get it into the calendar.

Two things that might be useful:

1) Have folks send their event listings directly to me at webmaster@AMA-Dist-8.org and I will include them on the D-8 calendar. That can be flyers as well as just event listings.

2) Take a look at the "Best Foot Forward" calendar maintained by Tom Hill in New Mexico. (On the main calendar page on the D-8 site) Tom collects all of the event listings in his state and distributes them to a mailing list. He also sends it to me and I include it on the D-8 web site. Someone (you?) in Oklahoma could easily do something similar and I would be HAPPY to include it!

Regards,

Bill Lee
Webmaster
AMA District VIII