Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Why the AMA is not growing...........

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Why the AMA is not growing...........

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 07:54 PM
KidEpoxy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why the AMA is not growing...........

Maybe we are not growing due to all the folks getting asked to leave the AMA

from 50% to Littlecrankshaf
Please don't renew your membership. The AMA has been unable to move in the right direction because of people like you.
If I get 5 folks to quit, do I get a Hat or a Patch or something from the AMA?
Old 08-23-2007, 11:45 AM
fliers1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://image.rcuniverse.com/forum/up...11/Jh15008.jpg
Old 08-23-2007, 12:05 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

When was the last time the AMA showed any sustained growth trend ? Look at that data and you might be able to correlate it with changes in and out of the hobby.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:40 AM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

ORIGINAL: Glacier Girl
//snip//
And as I said before, everything evolves. Time will play a part too. When the old masters are gone, and take with them their ways, who will be left? Just an overwhelming bunch of mosquitos, taking the AMA to the next step. And who's to say there won't be a change after that? I'm still waiting on the anti-gravitational airplanes to be developed. Crashing will be gone forever.

As I stated earlier, I am a mosquito, and quite a few of my flying buds are too. And we all are voting members of the AMA.

One vote can make a difference. And we have time on our side too.

Bzzzzzzz!!![X(]

But who are you going to have to vote for that will not simply maintain the status quo?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...75#post8036312

Hoss, first off, your post # 385 was excellent, I couldn't agree more with you.
Now as for the one above, I'm not sure what the link was supposed to point out to me.

Anyhow, fables aside, I did join the AMA to help make a change, and in my little corner of the world, approx 25 of my buds have done the same.

Loss of the old members and the joining of new may skew the membership count. But, if this is what is happening, the tide may in fact already be starting to change. The count is still the same but the ideals may be changing.

Is the giant paying attention to this possiblity? He still has a similar head count, but has he seen who's heads they actually are?

And you are right Hoss, do we know who is the best candidate out there? Maybe not 100% and maybe one that is what we want isn't there.........yet. But it's pretty obvious to me and a bunch of skeeters in my neck of the woods, what we do have is not what we want.

I'm just fantisizing on this statement, but if my little neck of the woods is like this, and the skeeters here run from kiddies to blue hairs, what's to say it's not happening in other parts of the woods?
Old 08-29-2007, 12:02 PM
KidEpoxy

Maybe it is Hoss that is the Dark Knight that the mosquitos will vote in.
But the giants have taken the DarkNight off the ballot behind closed doors, winning the vote war without firing a shot, or even reading a nominee's resume before banning him from the ballot.

Giants have nothing to fear from mosquitos with votes, when the giants choose who the mosquitos can vote for.

Actually, you would think it would be easier to get nitro/CL/FF folks into the AMA these days:
That crowd is an old bunch, and just think of how much they can save on dues with the senior discout (the rest of us could shoulder). Wouldnt it be great to double our ranks with these Discountees?
Old 08-29-2007, 01:16 PM
John Casey
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy

Maybe it is Hoss that is the Dark Knight that the mosquitos will vote in.
But the giants have taken the DarkNight off the ballot behind closed doors, winning the vote war without firing a shot, or even reading a nominee's resume before banning him from the ballot.

Giants have nothing to fear from mosquitos with votes, when the giants choose who the mosquitos can vote for.
Very well said..... many things are done in "the smoke filled room" with the "doors closed"....
this is just another good and very familar example of HOW THE VOTING process is corrupted,
And to think people can't seem figure out why they can't to
vote out the leadership and "change things", like "some" claim..... we should be able to do, but can't.

What happened to Hossyfly is great example........the mosquitos are still waiting and watching.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:41 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: John Casey

What happened to Hossyfly is great example........the mosquitos are still waiting and watching.
and just buzzing . . . . if as much effort was spent in trying to change the AMA as is expended here crying how it can't be changed - THINGS WOULD CHANGE, that's assuming there are enough that think a change is required. The few P&Mers on these forums are not going to make it happen.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:55 PM
Roby

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Red,

The P&M'ers you mention must be the 5% that showed
up in the survey.

Regards,
Roby
Old 08-29-2007, 03:00 PM
KidEpoxy

sure Red,
it it is those P&M'ers that have had the Nomination/Election process spat back in their face when they actually do more than complain about stuff... like actually sending nomination for Hoss to AMA back when Hoss asked us to. Between the One Name ballots last year, and the Hoss NominationKick this year, why even mail mosquitos ballots.

What about this concept: Two Party System
Think about all the new members we could draw in if we actually let them have any funtion for thier ballot... other than choosing which of 3 giants or UnOpposed Incumbant Giant. We could run a ad campign:
"Now is the time to join AMA, now your voice can be heard. <paid for by DarkKnight for Prez and the MosquitoNatCom matching funds>"
Old 08-29-2007, 03:56 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned

sure Red,
it it is those P&M'ers that have had the Nomination/Election process spat back in their face when they actually do more than complain about stuff... like actually sending nomination for Hoss to AMA back when Hoss asked us to. Between the One Name ballots last year, and the Hoss NominationKick this year, why even mail mosquitos ballots.

What about this concept: Two Party System
Think about all the new members we could draw in if we actually let them have any funtion for thier ballot... other than choosing which of 3 giants or UnOpposed Incumbant Giant. We could run a ad campign:
"Now is the time to join AMA, now your voice can be heard. <paid for by DarkKnight for Prez and the MosquitoNatCom matching funds>"
Think about this concept! [>:]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26217.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	752623  
Old 08-29-2007, 04:15 PM
KidEpoxy

ok, <tic toc>... done!

Save money by foregoing any names on any ballots, and just have folks write in without the AMA listing its prefered good ole boys only. Just one checkbox: WriteIn.

Thanx Red, that is a great idea that we can save a bundle with, and eliminate an entire comittee... saves time & money, and streamlines the AMA organizational chart at the same time.

WriteIn Only Ballots
The way of the future, no preferential treatment possible, no closed doors, ultimate fairness.
Gotta hand it to you Red, you are onto something there.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15860.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	752640  
Old 08-29-2007, 04:29 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned

ok, <tic toc>... done!

Save money by foregoing any names on any ballots, and just have folks write in without the AMA listing its prefered good ole boys only. Just one checkbox: WriteIn.

Thanx Red, that is a great idea that we can save a bundle with, and eliminate an entire comittee... saves time & money, and streamlines the AMA organizational chart at the same time.

WriteIn Only Ballots
The way of the future, no preferential treatment possible, no closed doors, ultimate fairness.
Gotta hand it to you Red, you are onto something there.
You must use the ballot the AMA sends you, probably with your renewal notice. And send it to the right place. I don't know if they are providing SASEs this year as they have in the past. DO NOT SEND IT IN WITH YOUR MEMBERSHIP RENEWAL (if you do renew for 2008). You don't have to renew for 2008 to vote in this election.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:38 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everyone of us who fly control line and free flight vote and send valid ballots to the right address. We are a small but potent microminority. If you have trouble voting, find a local FF or CL person and get help.[&o]
Old 08-31-2007, 10:27 AM
Bloodsport
My Feedback: (15)

Why is the AMA not growing ???

You pay money for nothing..thats why... So a few people can get fat off " administration " costs...
As a full scale aircraft owner it pisses me off that to join the AOPA I only have to pay $37.00 a year ,have a great flight planner ,a Great magazine, real time sat weather,as well as a ton of other perks and what do I get for my pile of cash from the AMA ? A crappy magazine that the parrot won't even dump on. and an ID card.. Yippee !
I have flown r/c since the mid 70's and now that I own my own full scale runway near my home I invite all r/c ers to fly ...only one requirement....
You may not be an AMA member....[:@]
Old 08-31-2007, 10:33 AM
KidEpoxy

Well, that makes sense since the AMA will shout from the rooftops that is is not an insurance company. So I guess we all can not bother talking about AMA insurance, but the other benefits he would miss.... there are other benefits for this guy, right?
Old 09-02-2007, 03:09 PM
TexasAirBoss

The two AMA fields near me are grass and they keep the grass quite tall. One gets the impression they are only meant for big birds.
Old 09-02-2007, 03:22 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Or they are waiting for you to volunteer to cut it - oh wait - better be careful about cutting grass....Steve K would tell you it is not a good idea
Old 09-02-2007, 04:49 PM
TexasAirBoss

Cutting is contracted. One mows twice per week.
Old 09-02-2007, 04:52 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Heck with all the rain you guys have been having I'm surprised you haven't gone to either float flying or directly to boats! We, on the other hand, could use some of that wet stuff.....
Old 09-02-2007, 05:33 PM
TexasAirBoss

I amazed they haven't paved. We must loose 150 days per year, at least due to rain or wet ground. When I flew from pavement we would rush to the field after a rain. The air would be very still and cool, full of power and lift. And we flew almost every day.

But I think the fields here are geared to larger gas models. IF you can launch your 40% Edge, the field is reportedly in great shape.
If you like 40 size models, you are out of luck. We obviously don't want your kind in our club, go somewhere else.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:56 AM
Hossfly

ORIGINAL: PilotFighter

I amazed they haven't paved. We must loose 150 days per year, at least due to rain or wet ground. When I flew from pavement we would rush to the field after a rain. The air would be very still and cool, full of power and lift. And we flew almost every day.

But I think the fields here are geared to larger gas models. IF you can launch your 40% Edge, the field is reportedly in great shape.
If you like 40 size models, you are out of luck. We obviously don't want your kind in our club, go somewhere else.
PF. I have no idea about Fighter Field which you belong to, however if you also include Jetero, then there are some options available. I WANT A PAVED RUNWAY OR EVEN A PETROMAT. Unfortunately, only a click of the current administration seems to show up at club meetings and anything foreign to those Big Bird fliers with the IMAC stuff doesn't stand a chance of getting seriously considered.

OTOH, if the current VP (now somewhat held back, but an excellent negotiator and finance person) moves into the Pres. slot next year, and is replaced with a good VP -- one no longer holding financial responsibilities to Jetero and now elgible to get back into club administration, you can guess who! -- then there is a good chance of getting some significant changes.
Of course that requires some inputs from those like you that want things, but never show up to help accomplish anything.

The current Jetero Mower is going to try to get back into the officer thing. He wants to quit spending any money on anything so, IMO, the club can reestablish the mowing twice per week. The Wednesday crowd has taken over the mowing schedule and mowing on Mon./Tues doesn't help anyone on weekends. My two acres at home keep me mowing constantly with this rain we have.

So PF, if you want something, there are others that agree with you. If you could devote some time to promoting these desires IN THE CLUB, maybe we could get something going.

edited for typos.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:52 PM
TexasAirBoss

Figther feild is a lost cause. Contract mowers introduced St. Augustine grass, which then took over. Big birds can hardly fly there now. The owners are deaf to any conversation of reclaiming the field.

I'm with the Wednesday crowd myself at Jetero. I generally work weekends, so I like the mowing schedule just the way it is. But the decision to mow the grass so high, has by design, or by accident, weakened any members standing in the club that doesn't prefer large gas planes. The trend toward large gas planes is obvious at the club.

If this is a national trend, to design feild services suitable for large gas models, but not for smaller models, (by accident or design), this could be one more tiny factor in the AMA question.

I'm not trying to blame anyone. And I'm not rushing to defend the status quo. I'm looking around and trying to observe any and all possible reasons why someone might find a club, any club ,unsuitable for their needs. OF the entire spectrum of choices available to us in this hobby, from jets to small electric scale, the runway is the most important element needed to accommodate everyone. The choice is a conscious one, or at least it would appear to be. So, if I were to promote anything, it would be to promote diversity.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:15 AM
KidEpoxy

Just bring some 1/2A 049 birds out, and hand launch & belly land them.
I'm sure nobody will mind you having to walk out onto the runway all the time to get your bird
Old 09-04-2007, 12:30 PM
Hossfly

ORIGINAL: PilotFighter

Figther feild is a lost cause. Contract mowers introduced St. Augustine grass, which then took over. Big birds can hardly fly there now. The owners are deaf to any conversation of reclaiming the field.
Have you flown at Texas City? They have St. Agustine, and it works OK when mowed very close. Inspected Jetero just this AM, and there must be every grass and weed that can be transported from south of the Rio Grande. I fight that problem here at home and am losing, except for an area where I have THICK St. Agustine which prevents the weeds from growing. However I do admit St. Agustine is not friendly to small models, but can be cut to a very short mat.

I'm with the Wednesday crowd myself at Jetero. I generally work weekends, so I like the mowing schedule just the way it is. But the decision to mow the grass so high, has by design, or by accident, weakened any members standing in the club that doesn't prefer large gas planes. The trend toward large gas planes is obvious at the club.
There is no decision to mow any extra height. Just so thick, that little else can be done without additional care and deweeding, along with considerable additional COST.

If this is a national trend, to design feild services suitable for large gas models, but not for smaller models, (by accident or design), this could be one more tiny factor in the AMA question.
However the care and feeding of a PRIVATE facility is NONE of AMA's business. Only the club-members can change things. A proper exercise of VOTE come Nov. could make a very big difference.

I'm not trying to blame anyone. And I'm not rushing to defend the status quo. I'm looking around and trying to observe any and all possible reasons why someone might find a club, any club ,unsuitable for their needs. OF the entire spectrum of choices available to us in this hobby, from jets to small electric scale, the runway is the most important element needed to accommodate everyone. The choice is a conscious one, or at least it would appear to be. So, if I were to promote anything, it would be to promote diversity.
If you are promoting diversity at Jetero, then you will have to do more than complain about AMA. There are a number of us that want change. We hope to accomplish change. You can help or not. Right now, those Wed. Big Bird fliers have all the small airplane fliers paying most of the bills, (Edited to add that Jetero has big bills: $1000 mo. land payment, big electric bill to run all those cooling fans for the Wed. fliers, Real estate taxes, contract mowing, some $20,000+ per year) BB Wed.-fliers now have the grass cut for THEM, and they party and golf on the weekends.
They do little to promote Club Growth, the field is not good for Trainers on the weekend, thus not promoting good Club-Growth which would promote AMA Growth

If you like that, then no need to be at the club meeting on Nov. 29th when changes can be initiated.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:52 PM
YNOT

You know why club members/officals object to a paved runway? Why soooo many pilots prefere grass?

You can land anywhere on grass, however with pavement, you have a specific target.

Many reasons are given why the club can't/won't do pavement, it comes down to pilot ability.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.