Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Why the AMA is not growing...........

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Why the AMA is not growing...........

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 08:31 AM
fliers1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Why the AMA is not growing...........

From a totally pragmatic perspective, in my 40 years of flying and teaching RC flying, logically, I cannot possibly see how our hobby/sport could grow. Many years ago, when I started, those who could instruct tripped over each other to give a newcomer help. We would take turns teaching, giving each other a break, that way the student could receive all the help he or she needed. After all the old hands went to the great flying field in the sky, not too many people replaced the previous large number of ready, willing and able instructors.

The only possible way I could see a solution is for the very deep pockets industry jumping in. Even then, I'm not really sure what they could do with all of their resources. They could offer too pay club instructors, but because of the club's long standing and unwritten dogmatic "paid instruction is wrong" philosophy, the industry cannot go down that road. There is really nothing left. Although, the industry could fund RC flight instruction schools to teach people how to teach or become better instructors.

Fliers1
Old 09-22-2010, 08:54 AM
103/17

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I keep hearing how the sport or hobby isnt growing and I'm here to tell you thats just not true in our club. 3-5 new members every year for the last 5 years straight. Ages 11 to 62, I went back and tallied them all up. Our club is up over 80 people in a rural area in northern VT. From our corner of the world we are growing and the AMA has seen growth through our club. We have electrics, gas and glow.......heck when its windy we even have kites !!!!

Point is it is possible to grow your club we are living proof of that. To those who are discouraged with this forum or thread, I agree. There seems to be a lot of belly aching from people who are not or would not be AMA members. Hats off to them for their opinions, they have a right to them but dont let them doninate the discussion or chase you away or get frustrated. Its just their opinion, they are entitled to it and for me its mind over matter so I would rather be glass half full about what I see than glass half empty. In the end it gets you farther ahead. Then again its also why I get involved with our club and help to recruit and train new members. We just winged up another newbie this week so here we "GROW" again !

103/17
Old 09-22-2010, 08:59 AM
dbcisco
Banned

ORIGINAL: phlpsfrnk

ORIGINAL: dbcisco
useless as the US constitution.
I hope you didn't mean that. Have you ever lived or traveled overseas?

Frank
Of course not. An NPO's AoI is as important as a constitution is to a country or state. Sadly everyone ignores the AMA's AoI and I think that is as wrong as ignoring our constitution. I was being sarcastic in that far too many AMA members have such little respect for the reasons why the AMA was created (not so they could fly airplanes and get out of taxes). I wonder if they have the same lack of respect for the principles on which our country was founded too.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:33 AM
DR.B.S.

lol
Old 09-22-2010, 12:39 PM
phlpsfrnk

OK, you say one thing but mean something else. Your sarcasm did not come across.

Of course not. An NPO's AoI is as important as a constitution is to a country or state. Sadly everyone ignores the AMA's AoI and I think that is as wrong as ignoring our constitution. I was being sarcastic in that far too many AMA members have such little respect for the reasons why the AMA was created (not so they could fly airplanes and get out of taxes). I wonder if they have the same lack of respect for the principles on which our country was founded too.
I'm going to ignore the remarks about respect and just ask one question:

Why do you think the AMA was created?

Regards
Frank
Old 09-22-2010, 01:02 PM
K-Bob
My Feedback: (1)

]
Care to expound on that bolded outrageous statement?Or is it just another fantasy dream expert opinion falsehood?
Old 09-22-2010, 01:14 PM
tinner1

dbcisco
For you to say "everyone" in your above statement where I first bolded it is making a statement that is not true, because I for one don't "ignor the AMA's AoI", but rather I choose to "trust" the AMA and its officials. I ALONE make your statement, as quoted word for word, false......As for "far too many members have such little respect for the reasons why the AMA was created" would you please explain, based on your 3 years in the hobby why you are such an authority on the subject of why the AMA was formed? WHY was it formed? Please educate us lamers.....
Old 09-22-2010, 01:22 PM
The Toolman

ORIGINAL: K-Bob

ORIGINAL: mountaineer070

Negative...after...negative...posts with no real solutions. If the AMA is truly a dinosaur, or is so out of touch with reality, why do you folks even care to discuss it? Seems to me that most of those who post are not members...will not join a club...because they might charge $50 a year to fly that $900 airplane. Everyone wants somebody else to do all the work and then fly for free on someone else's dime...so why would you even care to do anything to better the AMA? I agree with each and every person who has posted on this thread, nothing AMA will ever do will be enough. That is very unfortunate.

If you are opposed to the AMA, then I suggest you are against the very club structure that supports flying fields and this is borne out by several posts that alude to using Parks instead of organized clubs...with the sorry excuse that some of the elders leave a bad taste in their mouth because they demand protection for their expensive facilities. Is there a better way...Sure...but not one has mentioned it. If AMA only insures its members...then clubs should purchase their own insurance and charge accordingly...an additional $58 per year per member to pay for the coverage. Sound about right to me.

From where I stand, as a new AMA member, RCU forums are just a place for *****ing and complaining with no real interest in protecting the future of model aviation. No real solutions...and when solutions are suggested...there is seven reasons why it won't work. You folks have a good life...and enjoy your hobby while it lasts...and when it is gone along with the clubs that support it...don't start looking for anyone to blame except yourselves.

Last post...for it's a waste of time to try and convince a minority of closed minds that there can be a better future.

Mountaineer070: It's disheartening to see your spirit and vigor sapped by the naysayers and perpetual complainers. They like tp say that it's all for the good of the AMA but after awhile you see that it is only a front for problems they have that go way beyond joining a club or supporting the AMA.

Give it a break for awhile and then come back. You may not know, or ever know, of the casual visitor who was inspired by something you wrote.

I've wondered for years why some who are not AMA members, and who have sworn that they never will be members, have to come in here and $%%# in the AMA's messkit. It must bring some sort of sick pleasure to try to ruin it for others.

I'm outa here too ............................. adios, muchachas

Whew....that didn't last long, musta changed yer mind...huh?
Old 09-22-2010, 01:43 PM
K-Bob

ORIGINAL: The Toolman

[Whew....that didn't last long, musta changed yer mind...huh?
Got some rest, lots of work finished, spent time with the kiddos and repaired the aileron servo tray on my Yak.

Nice of you to miss me though. I appreciate the concern.

'Bout you?Spend some time at the tractor forums?Do you have tractors? I was just kind of wondering if you just stalked around over there for the heck of it like you do here seeing how you made such a fuss about giving the AMA the heave ho and how it's a corrupt and comtemptable organization. I'm just curious why you would wantto waste your valuable time in this forum.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:52 PM
The Toolman

ORIGINAL: K-Bob

[Whew....that didn't last long, musta changed yer mind...huh?
Got some rest, lots of work finished, spent time with the kiddos and repaired the aileron servo tray on my Yak.

Nice of you to miss me though. I appreciate the concern. [img][/img]

'Bout you? Spend some time at the tractor forums? Do you have tractors? I was just kind of wondering if you just stalked around over there for the heck of it like you do here seeing how you made such a fuss about giving the AMA the heave ho and how it's a corrupt and comtemptable organization. I'm just curious why you would want to waste your valuable time in this forum. [img][/img] [img][/img]

Number 1. because I can

Number 2. Got an old wheel horse garden Tractor, more of us (tractor restorers an collectors) than rc flyers anyway, an get along fine without a national org.

Number 3. Retired an have all the time in the world to waste.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax73064.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	1505278  
Old 09-22-2010, 03:08 PM
dbcisco
Banned

Just keep trashing the AoI. That was a garbage from the 60's. Just go fly and have fun.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:18 PM
dbcisco
Banned

The Articles of Incorporation (sometimes also referred to as the Certificate of Incorporation or the Corporate Charter) are the primary rules governing the management of a corporation in the United States and Canada, and are filed with a state or other regulatory agency.

A certificate of incorporation is a legal document relating to the formation of a company or corporation. It is a license to form a corporation issued by state government.

In the U.S.A. a certificate of incorporation is usually used as an alternative description of a corporation's articles of incorporation.
In the U.S.A. the certificate of incorporation or articles of incorporation form a major constituent part of the constitutional documents of the corporation.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:38 PM
The Toolman

Just keep trashing the AoI. That was a garbage from the 60's. Just go fly and have fun.

I don't think this was meant for me, was it? If so.....huh?
Old 09-22-2010, 03:46 PM
dbcisco
Banned

I don't think this was meant for me, was it? If so.....huh?
Nope, not you.
It was sarcasm for those who think the AoI is a worthless, meaningless document.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:47 PM
tinner1

Tinner1
As for "far too many members have such little respect for the reasons why the AMA was created" would you please explain, based on your 3 years in the hobby why you are such an authority on the subject of why the AMA was formed? WHY was it formed? Please educate us lamers.....
Simple question, and I DO know what I am asking! In the "bold" above in my own post the "it" refers to the AMA. I DID NOT ask for the definition of AoI, which is what you are pawning off as an answer, but rather why the AMA was formed?! And since you state that (quoting you) "far too many members have such little respect for the reasons why the AMA was created" you must know why it (the AMA) was formed, so I'm asking YOU why that was.

WHY WAS IT (THE AMA) FORMED?
Old 09-22-2010, 03:51 PM
dbcisco
Banned

The answer is in the AoI that you are complaining about:
"The primary object of the corporation shall be to promote the educational and scientific aspects of model aviation."
Old 09-22-2010, 04:17 PM
tinner1

FIRST off I am NOT complaining about the AoI, THAT is not my question, but as usual you put words in peoples mouths to try to support your opinion/statements. I have just gone to the AMA web page and looked up the AMA's AoI, and it is what the AMA founders filled out to apply for and aquire tax exempt status.

The undersigned, desiring to form a nonprofit corporation pursuant to the laws of the State of
[STATE], do hereby certify as follows:
This is the first line of the AoI the AMA filed, BUT BEFORE those same people filed for tax exemption through formation and filing of AoI, they had to have a plan for the AMA was to be. What THAT plan was is what I was asking you to answer, but you quote the AoI. I'm sure they complied with the AoI FIRST then decided what to do for modeling. Either way, I really hate to admit this but Arbo is right about you, and I am going to take his road and ignore you!
Old 09-22-2010, 04:25 PM
dbcisco
Banned

I have been saying that the AoI is the legal document which holds the legal purpose of "why" the AMA exists but you refuse to listen. You and many, many others have been attacking me on the AMA's purpose on several threads. Those are the AMA's documents not mine but every time I bring it up members go on the attack. That is why I accuse them and you of ignoring the AoI. You didn't even know what it said, what better demonstration of ignoring it.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:48 PM
capitalB
My Feedback: (36)

Sounds like the AMA is being run by the same idiots that are running Harley-Davidson into the ground..........They think they know what the public wants but they are 100% wrong.The AMA can start by keeping it's stupid magazine and lowering membership costs to the $25 range. It's the "I know what's right even if nobody agrees mentality" that is killing them as they have become a entity on to themselves and forgot why they are even here![sm=drowning.gif]
Old 09-22-2010, 05:31 PM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: capitalB

Sounds like the AMA is being run by the same idiots that are running Harley-Davidson into the ground..........They think they know what the public wants but they are 100% wrong.The AMA can start by keeping it's stupid magazine and lowering membership costs to the $25 range. It's the ''I know what's right even if nobody agrees mentality'' that is killing them as they have become a entity on to themselves and forgot why they are even here![sm=drowning.gif]
A lot of US orgs have lost the "vision" of what the US is all about and then we wind up giving our country over to foreign entities. It is sad for our children unless they are wise enough to know how to use the world markets. I miss the heart of US enterprise and the spirit of development our country used to have. What else shall we as a nation give away?
Old 09-22-2010, 05:43 PM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

The answer is in the AoI that you are complaining about:
''The primary object of the corporation shall be to promote the educational and scientific aspects of model aviation.''
The purpose of the corp is in the AoI. The reason you really cannot contest the AMA is because of the "primary" object(ive). The fact is there is no standard of measurement for how much has to be done to be considered enough for the primary objective.

There may be some other rules they have written somewhere that defines the statement further, "We promote educational and scientific aspects of model aviation" can be even as simple as implimenting some small program and they have fulfilled their non-profit obligation for the IRS.

As far as that being good for the members that would be arguable. To me, I would not accept deviating that far from the objective/purpose the org was built upon. If the org needs to deviate then the Articles need to be changed to reflect what that current purpose is. If it is for park flyers, then change it and move on.

I have been in several corps and believe me those Articles are not that important. They are hardly ever looked at. The mission statement is the most looked at and that only if the org pushes that. You can ask most folks in an org what the mission of the org is and they have absolutely no clue [8D]
Old 09-22-2010, 06:28 PM
dbcisco
Banned

Why do you think the folks who incorporated the AMA put that as the purpose? Was it just a loose phrase to get NPO status? or did they actually mean it?
Old 09-22-2010, 06:30 PM
fireman350

I'm with you Toolman back to the tractors this one is my work in progress

ready to plant corn when the dinosaur bites it [sm=wink_smile.gif] lmao
1944 Case SC
Old 09-22-2010, 06:41 PM
K-Bob

[Nope, not you.
It was sarcasm for those who think the AoI is a worthless, meaningless document.
You constantly contradict yourself.

dbcisco:
Sadly everyone ignores the AMA's AoI ..............
Surely Toolman is somebody.

Now that you have copied and pasted the definition of an AoI, please answer the question, "How do you feel the AMA has violated or ignored their AoI"? It is your contention that The AMA does not engage in educational and/or scientific activities? You can precede your answer with a disclaimer so that you won;t get in to any legal wranglings. Lord I know you've had enough with threats from the AMA and RCG/Knife Edge software folks for running off at the mouth. Justtype "IMHO" first.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:43 PM
dbcisco
Banned

ORIGINAL: tinner1
Either way, I really hate to admit this but Arbo is right about you, and I am going to take his road and ignore you!
Sorry you don't like the truth about the AMA's own legal documents providing the primary purpose of the AMA.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.