Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Why the AMA is not growing...........

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Why the AMA is not growing...........

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 06:45 PM
The Toolman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why the AMA is not growing...........

ORIGINAL: capitalB

Sounds like the AMA is being run by the same idiots that are running Harley-Davidson into the ground..........They think they know what the public wants but they are 100% wrong.The AMA can start by keeping it's stupid magazine and lowering membership costs to the $25 range. It's the ''I know what's right even if nobody agrees mentality'' that is killing them as they have become a entity on to themselves and forgot why they are even here![sm=drowning.gif]

There Ya Go......100% Correct

It been very many years ago you could buy a new sporty for $3699 an if ya traded it in with in a year or so on a bigger bike, ya got the whole $3699 back as credit on the bigger one. Now I see that the low end sportys sell for $7999.......

The facts are, that when a org gets so big, they end up worring more about themselves than the people they are suppose to be helping.
Look at the Bell Calif. deal, The GM deal,

I'll show ya non profit...I start a corp, collect $1,000,000 from its share holders, pay myself $999,999 an spend 50 cents on a can of beans an donate it to the red cross or united way (theres a coupla more shady outfits IMO) an the other 50 cents on overhead....waalaa 0 profit
Old 09-22-2010, 06:45 PM
K-Bob
My Feedback: (1)

Where's the satallite and GPS?

Just kidding. Cool tractor. Toolman's too. Can I get in the tractor club with a Craftsman 19HP lawn tractor. Do you have a special rate and magazine for the backyard mower guys?
Old 09-22-2010, 06:49 PM
fireman350

No we don't let toy tractors in our club and you have to have special insurance and no we don't have any crappy magazine either lmao
ps dont go looking up the HP rating on my tractor either
Old 09-22-2010, 06:55 PM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: dbcisco

Why do you think the folks who incorporated the AMA put that as the purpose? Was it just a loose phrase to get NPO status? or did they actually mean it?
My guess would be that when they first started the org the original group sat down with the intended purpose in mind and it probably was never changed even though the focus may have changed over the years. I am sure it was originally done with a strong purpose in heart.

One org I was involved with did the same thing. The core purpose was set in the AoI, but there were more things than you could shake a stick at that got in the way of the purpose continuously. Mostly the "red tape" and all the junk involved just to make the simplest of things to happen would make you extremely angry.

We were involved in helping at-risk youth. I finally realized I could do more for the youth without an org and just started doing that on my own and forgot the rest. I have never looked back. Beleive it or not, since then I was able to do much, much more than we ever could as an org. I am no longer involved with at risk youth on the same level. Orgs usually are bogged down with all sorts of "garbage" that hinders their true purpose.

I am not sure this is the case with the AMA, but it has been for several that I have been involved with and I saw it first hand time and time again. More money was wasted on slackers that created committees, programs, more committees and more programs than the intended purpose of the orgs and you could never find ONE person that was accountable for anything! Basically just money pits and not much more.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:20 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Ok guys, let's not drag this thread back to the discussion of the corporation/IRS/AoI/501(c)(3) here. That's not what this thread is about and we're not going to use every thread in this forum to discuss this issue. Please steer the discussion back to the topic of "Why the AMA is not growing".

Ken
Old 09-22-2010, 07:35 PM
dbcisco
Banned

It was asked "why" the AMA was establishd and was answered by the proper supporting document.
"If" the membership is having problems perhaps getting back to its original purpose would help.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:39 PM
The Toolman

Steering, steering, steering, lets grow
Lets keep those planes a flying
And keep these guys a lying
An don't you try to fly to lowwwwwwww

Sung to the tune of Rawhide
Old 09-22-2010, 07:53 PM
K-Bob

It was asked "why" the AMA was establishd and was answered by the proper supporting document.
"If" the membership is having problems perhaps getting back to its original purpose would help.
It was asked if the AMA had strayed from their original purpose.
and suggested it could be a cause for membership numbers decline.

They have not strayed,the notionis a non sequitur.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:01 PM
dbcisco
Banned

ORIGINAL: K-Bob
They have not strayed, the notion is a non sequitur.
What part of the AMA's own stated purpose didn't you understand?
Old 09-22-2010, 08:25 PM
Luchnia

Why do you think the folks who incorporated the AMA put that as the purpose? Was it just a loose phrase to get NPO status? or did they actually mean it?
It depends. In some cases it is primarily to get NPO status and start pumping the grant money in hopes of a free ride and in other cases it is genuine heart felt vision. Only those who planted the vision really know that answer and a higher power (that is if you believe in a higher power). The rest buy in either way by trusting that orgs are on the level and keep check on orgs as best they can. There has to be some level of trust. That is about the best we can do.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:31 PM
Luchnia

It was asked ''why'' the AMA was establishd and was answered by the proper supporting document.
''If'' the membership is having problems perhaps getting back to its original purpose would help.
I believe if the original purpose was re-ignited (for lack of a better word) with a stron zeal and confidence that would bring about strength in others. There is not much more powerful than getting others to buy into your vision. It is like a wildfire with the right people involved.

It may be that why the AMA is not growing is that many supporters have lost confidence in the organization. This can be very tough to rebuild if this is part of the problem. It could well be because they have moved off the original purpose or that the purpose needs to be changed and brought up to the modern times.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:42 PM
K-Bob

They have not strayed,the notionis a non sequitur.
What part of the AMA's own stated purpose didn't you understand?
I would ask you the same. You imply the AMA should get back to the spirit of their origins. (hey, I have to dance around the actual words)
I say they never abandoned them.

You have your opinion and Ihave mine. I would suggest that maybe yours is flawed, and have asked for your specific reasons for your opinion, with no results (so far). For someone who trumpets hisabitlityto get to the bottom of things , you sure are a cagey fellow when the shoe is on the other foot.

Plain English. Straight to the point. Can you do it?Try hard.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:42 PM
fireman350

AMEN
Old 09-22-2010, 09:03 PM
SPLIT S

My God, doesn't anybody just fly airplanes because they are fun anymore? So many of you have managed to mangle a hobby into Constitutional issues, membership issues, tax issues, there aren't enough people to train others and they aren't using the right technique... are you serious? Talk about not seeing the forest through the trees. Everything, everything ,moves in cycles. Forty years ago RC flying was in it's infancy!. Of course people were driven to it in droves. Times change! People have posted here that their clubs are growing yet so many pay no attention to them. One stated "I don't see how our hobby can grow anymore" or something to that affect. Sad. If someone doesn't buy into "your" perception they are either AMA lovers or just plain ignorant of your superior knowledge of a f'n hobby! Go build something! Go fly something! Get someone involved on your own. Expect to get paid to spark someone's interest? In flying model airplanes? Really? Whatever happened to just doing the right thing without expecting a handout from someone else? I have looked up quite a few of you, no posts (or practically none) to any other forum. No "questions and answers", no "beginners", no "tips and techniques" not even "crash and rebuild". Nothing. Very,very few. You know who you are. Just sit at a computer on the AMA forum. Complaining about how your hobby is being run into the ground. YOU are the people dragging the rest of us down. I got involved in this to fly. To build. To make friends and just plain have a good time. Away from the 9-5 grind. So many of you have lost that. The world is complicated enough and life is way too short to take it all in. You want to constantly cry and whine - fine. Have fun. I'll be at the field, with my buds, having fun. You are all invited to join in. But I'm sure the AMA forum will be there for the rest of you. Sad. Really, really is....
Old 09-22-2010, 09:26 PM
dbcisco
Banned

Plain English. Straight to the point. Can you do it? Try hard.
No need to be rude. It is simple.
I do not like people or organizations that say one thing and do another. The AMA said to the people of the USA in 1966 "Here is what we are going to do."
I would like to see us fulfill the original purpose. Unfortunately there are members that seem to be adamantly against "science and education".
Old 09-22-2010, 09:32 PM
K-Bob

Plain English. Straight to the point. Can you do it?Try hard.
No need to be rude. It is simple.
I do not like people or organizations that say one thing and do another. The AMA said to the people of the USA in 1966 "Here is what we are going to do."
I would like to see us fulfill the original purpose. Unfortunately there are members that seem to be adamantly against "science and education".
You said enough with your evasive replies. I'll leave it where it is for everyone else to judge.

Adios amigas.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:44 PM
dbcisco
Banned

You said enough with your evasive replies.
I made my opinion perfectly clear. I am not playing this game again with you.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:47 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

You said enough with your evasive replies.
I made my opinion perfectly clear. I am not playing this game again with you.
BTW Happy birthday dbcisco. [sm=wink_smile.gif]
Old 09-22-2010, 10:04 PM
The Toolman

No more catchy tunes for you all....[:@]
Old 09-23-2010, 06:16 AM
Luchnia

ORIGINAL: SPLIT S

My God, doesn't anybody just fly airplanes because they are fun anymore? So many of you have managed to mangle a hobby into Constitutional issues, membership issues, tax issues, there aren't enough people to train others and they aren't using the right technique... are you serious? Talk about not seeing the forest through the trees. Everything, everything ,moves in cycles. Forty years ago RC flying was in it's infancy!. Of course people were driven to it in droves. Times change! People have posted here that their clubs are growing yet so many pay no attention to them. One stated ''I don't see how our hobby can grow anymore'' or something to that affect. Sad. If someone doesn't buy into ''your'' perception they are either AMA lovers or just plain ignorant of your superior knowledge of a f'n hobby! Go build something! Go fly something! Get someone involved on your own. Expect to get paid to spark someone's interest? In flying model airplanes? Really? Whatever happened to just doing the right thing without expecting a handout from someone else? I have looked up quite a few of you, no posts (or practically none) to any other forum. No ''questions and answers'', no ''beginners'', no ''tips and techniques'' not even ''crash and rebuild''. Nothing. Very,very few. You know who you are. Just sit at a computer on the AMA forum. Complaining about how your hobby is being run into the ground. YOU are the people dragging the rest of us down. I got involved in this to fly. To build. To make friends and just plain have a good time. Away from the 9-5 grind. So many of you have lost that. The world is complicated enough and life is way too short to take it all in. You want to constantly cry and whine - fine. Have fun. I'll be at the field, with my buds, having fun. You are all invited to join in. But I'm sure the AMA forum will be there for the rest of you. Sad. Really, really is....
Easy guy The topic is why the AMA is not growing and we are sharing discussion on that. I fly every chance I get and enjoy myself bigtime. I post in other threads as well. I learn how other people think about RC by sharing, discussing, researching, etc. The problem is in my neck of the woods you have to be an AMA member to fly unless you know someone that has a private field. There are those that have their own private fields, but many are not that fortunate so these topics are of real concern to them.

If you are an AMA member then all those issues you typed about are important to you and me as they will affect us even if only indirectly and can change our hobby for the better or the worse. If we don't stand up, we might stand to lose a lot [8D]
Old 09-23-2010, 09:57 AM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At my field, newbies and spectators don't have to ask the question, "Do the planes ever crash?" .... All they have to do is stick around for half an hour and see the crashes. We have many crash-test pilots at my field.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:25 AM
snowmaker
My Feedback: (2)

There is a serious epidemic of old hats and jerk offs that need to feel power unto themselves (as they dictate and rule over the new comers). I can't stand those folks. Many of them have caused crashes by hovering over new pilots with their big mouths (and big stomachs). I've personally observe a guy punch one of these old hats in the mouth after his plane crashed. Can't say i felt sorry for his broken nose. :-).

There should be a way to train the old hats on proper ettiquette (sp?) and how not to offend folks, while at the same time enforcing airfield rules.

"gets off of soapbox"
Old 09-23-2010, 10:29 AM
The Toolman

There ya go, a new ama motto "Join up an get a chance to punch one of the old guys out" and a free magazine an Insurance, all for only $58 per year
Old 09-23-2010, 11:42 AM
Luchnia

ORIGINAL: The Toolman

There ya go, a new ama motto ''Join up an get a chance to punch one of the old guys out'' and a free magazine an Insurance, all for only $58 per year
I needed a laugh and that was a good one. Totally cracking up here! HAHHAHAHAHMUUUUUHAHAHHAHAHHAAAAA
Old 09-23-2010, 11:52 AM
fireman350

nothing like getting you day started laying out an old fogie with a stiff right hook but to really like you need to run a old lady and her walker out with a firm clothes line finished by spiking her purse and doing a little end zone dance

YOU GUYS HAVE ISSUES
I like it
lmao

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.