AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.
View Poll Results: A poll
Give me the option of paying, or not paying, for the current magazine.
27.50%
I'd like to see a mag. with a better selection of topics.
20.00%
I'd like to see idividual mags introduced to cater to certain aspects.
10.00%
I wish they'd do away with the mag. completely and lower the dues.
7.50%
I see no reason to change it. I like it the way it is now.
35.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

New Magazines?

Old 01-04-2005, 01:34 PM
yard-dart
My Feedback: (35)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default New Magazines?

I see a lot of people complaining about the current format of Model Aviation. I, for one, think that it's pretty boring, and has way too much info on things that I couldn't care less about (slope soaring, control line, electrics, etc....) Since it's a pretty thick magazine, I think that the AMA could come up with a few "smaller" mags., each to cater to a certain interest, and not all. Or, they could just come out with a better mag. all together like MAN, or RCM. What do you think? Oh, if I miss an option, forgive me. Just list it in your response and I'll add it, that's if it's legit.

John
Old 01-04-2005, 01:42 PM
J_R

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New Magazines?

How about a response that allows that the magazine is OK or some other responses that do not require the opinion that it be gotten rid of or changed.
Old 01-04-2005, 01:54 PM
Hossfly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

For me I am fine with the format of MA. I don't like the glitter advertising however that is what sells products to the younger generations so it has to be. I can live with it.

What I really don't like is that MA costs each individual member close to the same as the AMA Liability Insurance. Insurance causes my model flying facility activities to be encumbered with many restrictive rules for me to abide by. Yet there is never a discussion or attempt to make MA a profit center for AMA operations, or reduce that portion of member expense.

Actually, I think MA should represent each and every discipline of the sport/hobby of model aviation. That is what AMA is about.
Those that ignore the information in the various disciplines can easily miss some very good items that may well be transferred to whatever discipline the individuals do prefer. Such potential loss is their own problem, not the magazine's responsibility.

Individual magazines would probably increase your dues magazine allotment 10 fold. Be careful what you ask for. You just might get it. [X(]
Old 01-04-2005, 02:11 PM
yard-dart

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Horrace,

When I mentioned other magazines, I meant "smaller" issues. You can't tell me that if the AMA would take the common articles out of the current issue and combine them into a smaller magazine, that it would cost more. Sure, they'd like for you to think that it costs more, but it wouldn't, and people know that.

When a person signs up/joins the AMA, there could be an option of which magazine they would like to receive (electrics, combat, slope soaring, turbines, large scale 3D, etc....). Each could have an article or two on power supplies (electrics, glow, or gas), which ever the magazine is catered to.

This way, a person gets to read what he likes, while sitting on the crapper. Sometimes, when the TP is getting low, I think about tearing out some of the pages that bore me and ........ well, you know.
Old 01-04-2005, 05:13 PM
Hossfly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: yard-dart

Horrace,

When I mentioned other magazines, I meant "smaller" issues. You can't tell me that if the AMA would take the common articles out of the current issue and combine them into a smaller magazine, that it would cost more. Sure, they'd like for you to think that it costs more, but it wouldn't, and people know that.

When a person signs up/joins the AMA, there could be an option of which magazine they would like to receive (electrics, combat, slope soaring, turbines, large scale 3D, etc....). Each could have an article or two on power supplies (electrics, glow, or gas), which ever the magazine is catered to.
//snip//

Good point and that might be a workable idea. The sorting and such plus the extra set-up costs with different printing schedules would definitely cost more. It could be made up by significantly increasing the advertising rates, yet such would restrict the number of people the advertising was sent to., which may cause marketing problems.

NRA has such an option and I take the "First Freedom" OTOH NRA now has some 8 million members and the cost is substantially higher. While I am a Life Member of NRA, I still send $60 a year in support of my position as a Charter Founder of the Second Amendment Task Force
AMA's paltry 160,000+/- membership may find any such additional load as too much.

All in all, while I personally like all the stuff, I now better understand your idea, and I think your suggestion definitely deserves additional exploration. If I had made it back to the EC, it would get coverage, but if the frog had wings he wouldn't bump his butt every jump. [&o]
Old 01-04-2005, 05:13 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: yard-dart

Horrace,

This way, a person gets to read what he likes, while sitting on the crapper. Sometimes, when the TP is getting low, I think about tearing out some of the pages that bore me and ........ well, you know.
The logistics and printing costs would be prohibitive to do individual magazines, even if they were smaller. I agree with HossFly, the mag should represent everybody in the hobby, and there is stuff to be learned in all the different areas; if you don't like a particular part, just don't read it. To me, though reading the magazine at times is like listening to the guy at the field who knows what he's talking about, but just never can get to the point. It also seems to me that the further from Muncie that you are, the less it matters who you are. Not everybody can make it to the NAT's every year (or even once), and the time and money spent on the National Flying Site, or whatever it's called, could be better used to maybe make Regional Sites that more people might have an opportunity to use. The AMA is beginning to remind me of our own government, they're so enamored of themselves, they've forgotten what really makes us who we are, and have completely lost track of the younger generation. (IMHO, FWIW, etc,etc)
Old 01-04-2005, 11:51 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think MA was a much better Magazine in the late 70's and the 80's. I remember when the magazine had great construction articles . A friend and neighbor, did several constuction articles for MAN and RCM and RCR. ( golden age scale ) He wouldn't go near MA, because they paid just over half the going rate for an article. At the time he usually got about 700 bucks. And the work involved in writing the articles and drawing the plans and photographing the construction was enormous. I believe that authors would choose MA over the other mags, if they would just pay the standard rate.
Knowing that MA chooses not to pay the extra money to bring the magazine up to standard does bother me. The simplicity of the construction articles and the subjects chosen month after month earns the magazine a consistant "C+". I remember the " A " days.

And now that I have sat here a minute and proof read my statement for the dozens of spelling errors that I cannot find ; I just realized something. Those great construction articles were inspiring. It showed the best that this hobby can be. Smart and tallented people shared very clever techniques for building beautiful aircraft. It truely was inspiring. I carried the magazine around with me. It made you want to be better. That was promoting the hobby. That was promoting people.
Old 01-05-2005, 01:12 AM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: kingwoodbarney

I think MA was a much better Magazine in the late 70's and the 80's. I remember when the magazine had great construction articles . A friend and neighbor, did several constuction articles for MAN and RCM and RCR. ( golden age scale ) He wouldn't go near MA, because they paid just over half the going rate for an article. At the time he usually got about 700 bucks. And the work involved in writing the articles and drawing the plans and photographing the construction was enormous. I believe that authors would choose MA over the other mags, if they would just pay the standard rate.
Knowing that MA chooses not to pay the extra money to bring the magazine up to standard does bother me. The simplicity of the construction articles and the subjects chosen month after month earns the magazine a consistant "C+". I remember the " A " days.

And now that I have sat here a minute and proof read my statement for the dozens of spelling errors that I cannot find ; I just realized something. Those great construction articles were inspiring. It showed the best that this hobby can be. Smart and tallented people shared very clever techniques for building beautiful aircraft. It truely was inspiring. I carried the magazine around with me. It made you want to be better. That was promoting the hobby. That was promoting people.

Except to agree with you, I thought I would tell you that there is (in the immortal words of another) a "spall chucker" right here, at the end of the line where you get to submit your post. Right down there where it says "OK" and "Preview" and "Cancel" THEN it says "Spell Check". Now to be fair, you do have to decide how to spell the word and manually make the correction. Then you must close the extra window before submitting the post or odd things seem to happen (or they do to me). But it is there and it can be used.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:16 AM
yard-dart

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Why is it that RCM and MAN are so much better/more interesting to read? Why can't MA be this interesting? If it (MA) can, then why doesn't it? The only reason I even look at MA is because I get it in the mail. I'm paying for something each year ($58.00), and it's not the insurance, since I'm a homeowner (not meant to get anything started). So, if I'm paying that much each year for a magazine, I'm at least going to thumb through it to see if there is something interesting to look at, or read. Usually not. Just a ton of the same Ads (Robart, Tower, Chief, .......the list is way too long). It seems as if it is more of an advertisement/bulletin board mag. than an informative one.

There are those of you that see the AMA for much more than just a Mag. and insurance. You see yourself getting much more for your $58.00. Well, I'm not you. I don't/can't use all of those so-called services. I simply think that for what I pay each year, I could get a magazine that actually interests me.
Old 01-05-2005, 03:11 PM
Jim Thomerson

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I read everything in MA except about helicopters and ARF's. Just have no interest in either, and thus probably miss a tidbit of useful information here and there. I wish the magazine were formated a little differently so that articles would run from beginning to end without having to chase them through the magazine. I think I like Flying Models better than MA. If nothing else it has a bunch of little interesting ads. For awhile a friend was giving me copies of MAN, but I just recycled them without reading. How come the spell checker doesn't know ARF?

Jim