AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

A.M.A. Convention weather

Old 01-04-2005, 10:03 PM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default A.M.A. Convention weather

A.M.A. Convention weather

If you are flying in to Ontario airport, here is some information for you.

According to Tuesday evening news, expect less than perfect weather for the Ontario Convention this week. I live nearby, so expect the temps to be in the high 30's for past sundown, the high 50's up to noon and then low 60's around afternoon all three days.

Weather is to be cloudy on Wed. and first half of Thursday. Rain is not promised for Thursday, but it is from Friday afternoon until Sunday morning. The good rain usually occurs before noon, and then at one hour intervals of very light until sundown. They are expecting 2-5 inches of rain over the whole weekend, which is very unusual.

If you are driving in, Tejon Pass on I-5 has been closed several times from snow, usually after sundown. Would suggest to take Hwy. 101 if driving south. During daylight, both routes are expected to receive light rain all Thursday and into Friday morning. If coming south from Las Vegas on I-15, Cajon pass gets snow too, but the Highway Patrol has been convoying up and down the hill. The Cajon pass is generally cleared from about 10AM to sundown. Expect a 2-3 hour delay if convoying goes on. I-10 from the Palm Springs desert is wide open, but rain after sundown. I-15 from San Diego is wet and wide open except for truck crashes making for delays.

Wm.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:16 PM
danmilo
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: A.M.A. Convention weather

Thanks for the weather update for the out-of-towners. I will be working in one of the booths Saturday for our club (SGVRCL) look for the bright orange shirts and our ticket raffle! I am optimistic and encouraged about what is in store for this show. The Ontario Convention Center is a huge improvement in size, quality, age and everything else. I really want to spend time going over the electrics and looks for a good brushless system for my Slinger.

Dan
Old 01-07-2005, 08:30 PM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: A.M.A. Convention weather

As mentioned earlier, a few of the regular vendors did not show up. However, their places must have been taken near immediately. For Friday, the place is rather crowded with public. Most of the public seem to be buying whatever comes in a large box, and then bumping everyone within the aisles.

Although the show is bigger it is still too small. Most all of the demonstration sites are now in another area of convention hall. My personal felling is that the vendors/manufacturers are a bit crowded. They need to concentrate the displays, and open up the spaces by using the left over space for vendors. Even Great Planes is occupying a little 15" space. They got stuff hanging everywhere just to show off what they have. Interesting in that the small local hobbyist type of seller seems to gathered the big 20-30' spaces.

Not as many "Show Special" as in the past, and several vendors have prototypes on display. Seems to be some problems in getting the 2005 model manufactured. Such as Polk's with their new radio, the display item is in a 2003 case, with extra drilled holes and taped over old ones. They indicate their new radio will not be available until February, as like everyone else, the overseas manufacturers are busy now. Most glow and gas engine sellers are showing off last year's models, as the 2005 is still being made up.

Wm.