AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

I need information starting up a field

Old 01-07-2005, 01:31 PM
pauluk2w
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default I need information starting up a field

I don't know if i am in the right place but i would like to know what we would need to do to start a new flying field. the field i used to fly from is no longer AMA sanctioned and seems to be getting smaller and smaller every year (I think the parks are trying to reclaim it slowly). the other field i fly at is a private field owned by a friend he is in ill health and i just do not think it is an ideal site as i think it is too close to a full scale airport and his field is almost directly in the flight line i.e for final approach to the runway. so i think it is time to open a new field. will the AMA offer any financial help/grants to get a field up and running. if we were to use a farmers field with his permission what would the benefits be to him? i.e tax incentives etc. i hope you can provide as much information as possible
thanks
paul
Old 01-07-2005, 03:54 PM
yard-dart
My Feedback: (35)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: I need information starting up a field

Paul,

I guess the first question is whether or not you want to charter the new site. If not, I can let you know what I did. I found a piece of farmland. I simply got with the landlord and worked out a year to year lease. I'm paying $900.00 a year for 3 acres of land. I have a 550 ft.X 100 ft. grass runway, and it's just about as good as one could ask for. I have twenty other guys that fly with me. I'm othe only person on the lease, so I pretty much say what goes and what doesn't, although I'm not one to be bossy by any means. Everyone gets along great, and there's no stupid rules to go by, other than to use common sense and not do anything stupid. All that is required to fly there is having a current AMA card, for insurance reasons of course. Unless you're wanting to charter the site, I'd leave the AMA out of it.

If you are wanting to charter the site, you need contact the AMA. I can't really help you out there.

John
Old 01-07-2005, 06:36 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

http://www.modelaircraft.org/PDF-files/2004clubkit.pdf
Old 01-07-2005, 07:36 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Please tell us more. Why is your old field no longer AMA sanctioned and why do you believe that the parks are trying to reclaim it ?
Old 01-08-2005, 12:33 AM
pauluk2w
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: kingwoodbarney

Please tell us more. Why is your old field no longer AMA sanctioned and why do you believe that the parks are trying to reclaim it ?
The field is no longer sanctioned because people do not like to fly there anymore due to the fact that the field is a disaster waiting to happen so the club did not renew it. on the west side of the field there is a dog training/walking area but while people are flying people will walk right across the field with their dogs my fear is someone will get hit when a plane is landing or taking off. I wish i had some pictures but i don't have any right now, but the way the field is set up is on the north side of the runway we have a parking lot for members to park. on the east side is a highway. on the west side is the dog training area. and on the south side approx 50' away there is a tall tree line. our asphalt runway runs northeast, southwest one problem is we are not allowed to fly over the highway. so it makes takeoff difficult and landing usually means coming in over a tall tree line so this means putting throttle to idle and using a steep dive to the runway (not ideal) we do have grass which the parks are meant to cut but they rarely do it anymore. as i say the field is a accident waiting to happen.
thanks
paul