AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

A club without officers.

Old 01-14-2005, 03:05 PM
Zpat
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default A club without officers.

Is it possible to have an AMA sactioned club without officers?

Every year it's the same problem, no one wants to run for office. My idea was a group of trustees to get things accomplished but they just added that to the officers.
Old 01-14-2005, 03:21 PM
hilleyja
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: A club without officers.

AMA now requires their sanctioned clubs to have a charter. They have a charter guideline on their website. I'm not sure you can interpret it so that no official officer is designated. One problem you do have is membership management. You have to keep AMA current month-by-month with your membership and pay their annual charter and insurance fees. You also need to designate an AMA POC.

Check with the AMA membership supervisor, Colleen Pierce. Her number is (765) 287-1256, ext 290. Her email address is cpierce@modelaircraft.org.
Old 01-14-2005, 03:57 PM
Zpat
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

We have a person who has volunteered as treasurer for the last 20 years and takes care of all AMA paper work.
Election of officers is the same year after year. Who will volunteer? Nobody really wants to do it.
Field work and club events are handled by the trustees. It's usually the same people who do the work and it gets done.
In the old days we could use club meetings to brainstorm events. But now there are so many annual events in this area it's hard to find a weekend without an established event and now our field lacks the parking area we once had.

Except for the social aspect of the winter club meetings there is really no agenda to deal with. Things run pretty smooth.
Old 01-14-2005, 04:41 PM
dant-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just a minor point on symantics but, the AMA does not "sanction" clubs - they charter clubs. The AMA sanctions events. Also, as some think, there is no such animal as an "AMA sanctioned field".

Dan
Old 01-14-2005, 05:01 PM
hilleyja

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: dant-RCU

Just a minor point on symantics but, the AMA does not "sanction" clubs - they charter clubs. The AMA sanctions events. Also, as some think, there is no such animal as an "AMA sanctioned field".

Dan
You are correct, forgive the misuse of semantics -- I allowed myself to use the originators'.

Actually, AMA does not sanction and/or charter fields. What they do is provide for property owner liability insurance. Typically it is a yearly fee, but they also provide event coverage that may or may not be a regular RC flying field. E.G., when our club presented at a local airport during an airshow, we had to show proof of insurance that covered the airports' liability for our functions. AMA provided this for us for a one-time fee.
Old 01-15-2005, 01:30 AM
Jim Branaum

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Zpat

Is it possible to have an AMA sactioned club without officers?

Every year it's the same problem, no one wants to run for office. My idea was a group of trustees to get things accomplished but they just added that to the officers.

According to District VIII AMA VP, Dr. H. Sanford Frank, in a meeting of interested parties this evening, that is not allowed. The AMA has specified the minimum number of officers each chartered club MUST have along with the qualifications for and requirements for and of a safety coordinator. Failure to have those two issues (proper club officers AND a safety coordinator WITH E-MAIL) addressed WILL result in your club not being rechartered in March 2005.

Sorry there is not more information. His meeting was supposed to be from 7 to 9. So at about 8:10 I tried to speak to him but was told he did not have two minutes to spare me.
Old 01-21-2005, 05:26 PM
Montague

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You know, in an informal club like that, just flip a coin or something to pick someone to put on the AMA paperwork. But that doesn't mean you have to actually have someone act like a particlar officer, just keep doing what you're doing.

As long as the AMA has their forms in hand, and a point of contact they can reach, how would they know and why would they care?

For that matter, add your dog as a family member, and make him club president. It's not like anyone would know either way.
Old 01-21-2005, 05:36 PM
Jim Branaum

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Aw, come on. Who wants to pay membership fees for a DOG? Gimme a small break.

Just pencil whipping the membership into officers works as long as it is the AMA POC doing it as long as the "Safety Coordinator" 'appointed' has e-mail. Of course, there are some very negative implications of doing things that way but I am sure you can sort them out.
Old 01-22-2005, 01:01 AM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That is a great idea !!! My dog !!!
Old 08-30-2005, 12:49 AM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

We have a club per say.....there are no officers no politics.....just fun...it does work