Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Recent RC death and AMA claim

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Recent RC death and AMA claim

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2002, 02:29 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Recent RC death and AMA claim

Hi guys,

I heard that their is now a wrongful death suit against the AMA regarding the recent tragic accident in Arizona where the gentleman flew into himself.

Anyone hear anything about this, and in particular what kind of claim they are making?

TIA
Old 09-03-2002, 04:22 AM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wrongful death suit against the AMA? How is the AMA liable for this incident?

What a ridiculous concept.
Old 09-03-2002, 11:24 AM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by visioneer_one

Where have you been? We're into the 21st century. It's always someone else's fault. I read that story how he lost it in the sun as it was apparently coming towards him. Some family member is probably going to sue his best friend for getting him into the hobby in the first place. Then add to it the weather man for maybe predicting a cloudy day. Lets not forget whoever owns the field. Also involved is his mothers cousins sisters former roommate whoever that is. The only person who did not do anything wrong was the deceased. Sounds like a stupid accident to me and the family has hired an "ambulance chaser" for a lawyer. They ought to just let it go.
Old 09-03-2002, 11:51 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Can somebody actually call Carl Maroney and ask if there is actually a suit? So far, it is just a rumor.
Old 09-03-2002, 02:10 PM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

It really wouldn't suprise me if there was. If there is any dirt around, you will probably find a lawyer holding it and trying to sue somebody who left it there!
Old 09-03-2002, 03:52 PM
gpmikemorse-RCU

Most folks in the U.S. think that if something bad happens to a good person, they should be compensated. Most folks in the U.S. also think that insurance is pretty much "free money". When you put these two attitudes together, it would actually be surprising if the man's family was *not* suing. In this way of thinking, if the AMA gives them a million or two, it doesn't really hurt anybody, that's sort of what insurance is for.

I'm not saying the family is thinking this (I have no idea if there's even a suit), and I'm not saying that it is a reasonable way to think. I'm just pointing out that most folks in the U.S. would behave this way.

And my guess is that the AMA will settle out of court and our dues will go up to pay for it. The AMA "insurance" exists to protect *the hobby*, not any particular person or field. If someone gets killed flying a model, and is uncompensated even though the AMA boasts of a huge insurance policy, it would be very bad for the hobby. So, most likely they will settle.
Old 09-03-2002, 04:24 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

It's happened before. Remember when that kid was killed by a model in Shea Stadium? EVERYBODY paid, from the radio manufacturer, to the AMA, to the engine manufacturer...it's just the way of the world nowadays.
Still, I do wish somebody would get some facts on this particular case, it could be just a rumor.
Old 09-03-2002, 04:56 PM
mr_matt

Default Hey easytiger

have you called them yet?

My guess is they will settle for 500K, which is the estimate for legal expenses to fight the suit. I think the suit is for 2 million.

THis is basically blackmail if true, it is sad that the AMA does not fight it, because unless they can get it thrown out as fivolous they will have to defend, if the plaintiffs can get someone who will carry it through.

As for what will come out of the AMA, that is why I asked here, my understanding is that most if not all of these settlements are sealed.
Old 09-03-2002, 06:26 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

A friend of mine and I were just talking about the topic of AMA insurance coverage. He was under the opinion that AMA insurance is a "secondary" insurer and in many instances other "primary" policies like Home Owner's insurance would pick up the tab first if it is appropriate.

Wrongful death, however, seems a little far fetched. I'm no lawyer type (thank heavens), but that would mean the defendant, AMA in this case, somehow caused this man to meet his demise. I don't think so, Tim.
Old 09-03-2002, 07:16 PM
Blackie

I have no problem's for AMA doing what they are supposed to do within their means of insuring these type of situations, but I do have a problem when others do not take responsibility for their own actions.

What are we coming too!!! its all about money, money, others trying to get rich in any means then can. Would a $ value relieve the pain and suffering for a loved one? maybe for some of those sick people it would, but I would be more inclined to move closer to saying no it wouldn't, either way it leads me to believe its a get rich quick scheme, or should I say scam.

Randy
Old 09-03-2002, 07:20 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

There has long been an exclusion in the AMA insurance that might just cover this case:

• There is no coverage for the member who is in violation of the AMA NATIONAL Safety Code when the injury or damage occurs. Also, there is no liability coverage for an AMA member-to-his-own-family (Household and Relative(s) living in the member’s household) for claims or suits.

Gordon
Old 09-03-2002, 08:18 PM
mr_matt

Default very good point, Gordon

I will see our safety officer tonight at our club's board meeting, I hope he will have some infor he is pretty tied in with this kind of stuff.
Old 09-03-2002, 09:01 PM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

Originally posted by Volfy
Wrongful death, however, seems a little far fetched. I'm no lawyer type (thank heavens), but that would mean the defendant, AMA in this case, somehow caused this man to meet his demise
which was the point of my original reply.

I just asked one of our attorneys for the precise definition of 'wrongful death.'
(I work for the VI Office of the Attorney General... this building is full of lawyers. Hell, I had to club three of them just to get to my desk this morning )

In a nutshell, wrongful death can be charged when someone's demise was due to the action or inaction of the charged party. Makes perfect sense.

Unlike this bogus lawsuit.

Following their lead, I suppose that if I drove my car into a utility pole and died my family should be able to sue AAA for wrongful death?

Buncha crap.
Old 09-03-2002, 09:04 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

I just checked the website of an Arizona TV station (who ran the original story) and there is mention of the suit, probably just rumor. But this thread may have given the family an idea.
Old 09-03-2002, 09:20 PM
mr_matt

Default Joke?

Originally posted by rc_sport
But this thread may have given the family an idea.
That's a joke right?
Old 09-03-2002, 09:22 PM
rc-sport

Today Matt, it seems nothing is a joke anymore
Old 09-03-2002, 09:26 PM
mr_matt

Default no seriously

do you think

1.)a post made here 24 hours ago

2.)has been read

3.) a resulting strategy fomulated

4.)a lawsuit filed

5.) and reported by the Arizona news media?

all as a result of this post??
Old 09-03-2002, 09:35 PM
rc-sport

You read me all wrong, I'm not saying you started the law suit.
Old 09-03-2002, 10:15 PM
mr_matt

Default OK

sorry for my confusion.

While I feel terrible about the loss of a fellow modeller, I would be infuriated if we are forced to pay to settle something like this.

I am certainly not an expert in these areas, but I would think that a group that does not give in is less likely to be hit with boderline cases.
Old 09-03-2002, 10:22 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

DO you have any more information about this accident?

Originally posted by EASYTIGER
It's happened before. Remember when that kid was killed by a model in Shea Stadium? EVERYBODY paid, from the radio manufacturer, to the AMA, to the engine manufacturer...it's just the way of the world nowadays.
Still, I do wish somebody would get some facts on this particular case, it could be just a rumor.
Old 09-03-2002, 10:38 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Sure. A guy was flying a paid demo for the halftime show of a Mets game. The guy had known vision problems, but he wanted to get paid, so he flew anyway, and lost control and hit some kid in the back of the head and killed him. And everybody paid. This was around '76 or '77.
Old 09-03-2002, 11:38 PM
mr_matt

Default AMA

I wonder why the AMA had to pay in that case, as they do not insure any commercial activity?
Old 09-03-2002, 11:48 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

When somebody dies, and their family suffers, or somebody is in a wheelchair...SOMEBODY is going to pay. It's the way of the world. Most likely, EVERYBODY is going to pay.
Old 09-04-2002, 12:33 AM
rcalfred

I talked with my District VP at a scale fly-in the middle of August and he indicated that the lawsuit story was still in the rumor stage. But, he also said that in today's world dominated by lawyers that anything was possible. Regards.
Old 09-04-2002, 03:09 AM
ilikeplanes

Blame and Claim is a result of an Entitleist culture like we have. Privilege and responsibility appear to mean nothing today.

BTW, flying an R/C demo in a sports stadium is stupid. The people involved with that master stroke were not acting responsibly. That's just plain negligence.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.