Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

"illegal" flying

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

"illegal" flying

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2002, 06:57 PM
uonlylivetwice
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "illegal" flying

Question for you guys, I was reading the last Model Aviation, and it mentioned some guys trying to establish a club, and there was some resistance from neighbors due to guys 'flying illegally' prior to the clubs existence there. What made it illegal?? Was it because it was public land? Proximity to the homes? Not a sanctioned club? My fiance's folks live on a 300 acre farm. It is obviously not an AMA club, there are homes, if you go far enough, I am an AMA member, so is flying at the farm 'illegal' flying?? Just curious where I stand on this.
Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 09-04-2002, 07:13 PM
BingoFlyer

Default "illegal" flying

If you are talking about Traverse City, MI Club the trouble was fling at a field before the Township had approved zoning law changes they held a Township vote and the modelers prevailed. The noise complaint came from aprox 3/4mi away and when the township measured the noise at the property owners line cars going by on the road made more noise than the two models that were in the air at that time. Some people just can't enjoy seeing other people having a good time.

Although the modelers prevailed they have many restrictions, only fly 4 days a week, never on Sunday, noise limit, limited to # of planes in the at one time, etc.
Old 09-04-2002, 07:24 PM
Al Stein

Default "illegal" flying

In more general terms, the AMA covers a pilot the same at his home field or any reasonable place that he has permission to fly. Things like the site being associated with a chartered club only effect whether AMA covers the site owner if something goes wrong.
Old 09-04-2002, 07:35 PM
uonlylivetwice

Default "illegal" flying

Maybe I am taking things too literally, I was just struck by the term 'illegal'. I thought maybe there is more to it than I realize. Just because it is private land, wouldn't make it safe, but does that make it legal?? I am not sure.
Old 09-04-2002, 09:10 PM
Groundforce-RCU
My Feedback: (20)

Default "illegal" flying

If its your own land Id say its fine. just get in the middle of the acreage and enjoy. The only thing id be weary of would be a club in the area...somone on the same freq could be a problem for you both......just a thought.
Old 09-04-2002, 10:20 PM
Nuker

Default "illegal" flying

Illegal for us would be any bylaws we might violate (e.g. noise outside of certain times e.g. after 10:00am on a Sunday, flying too high due to local air traffic, etc)

We try to be good neighbours to the few folks around; no flying near their homes for example. This isn't a legal issue, more of a courtesy.
Old 09-05-2002, 12:33 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

Default "illegal" flying

Uonlylivetwice, I'm in Northeastern IL, can I come and fly at your field?
Old 09-05-2002, 02:11 PM
uonlylivetwice

Default "illegal" flying

Hey rc_sport,
I'm not sure if you were serious, seems like a haul to get up here. The farm is actually over near Madison. Right now it is a little premature for me to have anyone out there, but I hope in a year or two I might be able to get her Dad to smooth out an area for me. Right now I take off from a road which has a power line along one side of it, and immediately turn out over the fields. Landing is a little rough, in fact, I am building a SPAD to belly land in a grass field, it's too hard on gear. (and too close to the power line to try to hit the road) Like I say, maybe in a year or two I'll be able to get one of the dirt roads between the fields smoothed out, then I'd be in business. Maybe then I'd be able to invite guys out to fly.
Old 09-05-2002, 02:39 PM
rc-sport

Default "illegal" flying

You may be able to start a new club, and rent the land from you In-law. God knows we need places to fly. Your about 2 hrs from me.
Old 09-05-2002, 02:48 PM
uonlylivetwice

Default "illegal" flying

They work most of the land, and have horses on the unworked land. There are sections though with soybean fields adjacent to a dirt road, it would make visibility great. I can't see it becoming a club or anything, they wouldn't want the traffic through the property. But I do hope I can get a nice little area to fly from, and having some guys out there to fly would be cool. We'll see.
Old 09-10-2002, 12:44 AM
Tapio

Default "illegal" flying

Its funny how they Freak out over plane noise but we have to listen to all the neighbors with their unrestricted lawnmowers early Sunday morning, unless were already at the club field of course. I heard in some European countries that there are noise restrictions that dictates even when you can cut the grass.
Old 09-10-2002, 09:23 PM
Nuker

Default "illegal" flying

Our bi-laws don't allow mowing (or any noise) before 7:00am in a residential zone. It's not just in Europe!

Bob aka Nuker
Old 09-12-2002, 12:50 AM
KCFlyBoy

Default "illegal" flying

I fly in my neighborhood any time it is not to windy. I have an electric mini IFO my neighbor was curious about it damaging his house I took it over there and showed him it only weighed 10 oz and most of the time I fly at 1 to 2 mph he said just let me know when you are going to fly. I asked if it was because he was afraid of damage he said no I just want to watch that thing fly.
Old 09-23-2002, 05:31 PM
MormonMike

Default having fun

Your friend has it right, sometimes , people dont have anything else better to do than to cause problems for others.
Old 09-23-2002, 09:55 PM
Robby
My Feedback: (18)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default can I fly at your field?

rc_sport
As you may remember I am near Naperville.. This past week end I was invited to fly at a field in Rockford.. Got to tell you.. NICE place and very friendly people.. Even tho was too windy for me to fly was worth every mile of the 98 miles I drove.. The place is a public park regulated by the flying club.. You stand with your back pointing to the south so no sun to deal with.. The actual flying field is VERY big and well maintained.. It sits in a 'lower' area surrounded by corn so if you place should go down you can see excactly where it went down..
They welcome guest and only require a AMA card to be placed on the frq brd to hold that frqn'y while flying.. Sunday morning is training 'hour' till about noon by they still allow open flying..
Basically,, NICE facility, NICE people... EASY access... I will be going back.. Couple of their members are on RCU and ********.net..

Robby :sunsmiley
Old 09-24-2002, 11:56 AM
rc-sport

Default "illegal" flying

Robby, can you send me directions, I'm about an hour from Rockford.
Old 09-24-2002, 12:26 PM
Robby
My Feedback: (18)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default "illegal" flying

rc,
Sent you an email w/directions.. You can also talk to 'Taildrager'
listed as in Ogle County Ill as it is his 'home field' ...
As I said, was about 98 miles for me to get there from Naperville area..

Robby
Old 09-24-2002, 03:15 PM
MormonMike

Default "illegal" flying

This is great! what a website
Old 09-24-2002, 06:28 PM
Blackie

Default "illegal" flying

I must consider my self lucky to only drive at around 2 miles to reach our club. I feel for you long drive fliers.

Randy