Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

EC problems for the AMA

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

EC problems for the AMA

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 03:36 PM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default EC problems for the AMA

Recently there has been a request for input to the AMA for a planning conference. There are some things others in my club have suggested that I wanted to share with my DVP. That does not seem to be possible, and THAT is detrimental to the organization.

Dr. H. Sanford Frank said he was going to improve the communications in District VIII in his last campaign statement. I have been impressed with his communications to members since his last election. Here is the latest example of his willingness to be involved in communication with district members

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, January 11, 2005 4:25 PM
To: Jimmie
Subject: Fw: voicemail

Hello, Jimmie,

It's YOUR nickle ...

You called me..

now what do you want ?

I am otherwise occupied and VERY BUSY... !!
and can not return your call...

again:

"" Please put your input and concerns in email form and send it to me...
at: [email protected] ""

= = = = = = This is a forward message = = = = = = =

Original serder's name: Dr.Sandy Frank
Original serder's address: [email protected]

>Hello, ljb,
>
>I am in receipt of some voice mail from YOU on this date...
>
>I am otherwise occupied and VERY BUSY... !!
>
>and can not return your call... now...
>
>Please put your input and concerns in email form and send it to me...
>
>at: [email protected]
>
>Best regards.
>
>Dr.Sandy Frank
>[email protected]
>2005-01-11

After this exchange, I went to his 'dutch district dinner' that was supposed to be from 7 to 9 in the evening. He finished lecturing us and ended the affair around 8:10. We filed to the cash register to pay our bills and I asked for two minutes of his time. He looked at his watch and said he didn't have the time. Folks I had not met before asked why he was so rude.

I think it is time for the EC to publicly sanction these kinds of activities as it is clear that this DVP would rather fight than be involved in anything constructive, and that is contrary to the purpose of all EC members. We need to move the AMA and its officers to better actions.

Here is another example of this guys communications activities:

Sent: Thursday, July 22, 2004 11:18 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: FW: be advised
Importance: High

Dear Ms. Hager,
Please forward a copy of this entire document to the AMA Executive Council.

I have been more than patiently awaiting some indication of what the attached semi official e-mail from the District VIII AMA VP was about. Since the nearest U.S. Post Office is nearly 15 miles from my rural home, I made special efforts to have someone around to sign for the promised document. After a week with no contact, I spoke with my mail man and he indicated that the document should have been delivered by Friday, even if it were mailed from Muncie. After that conversation, I called AMA HQ and left a message of inquiry. On Tuesday morning Ms. Hager called to tell me that she had spoken with Dr. Frank and he had decided not to follow up on some complaint that had been filed against me. I have waited for two days before forwarding this comment in hope that some information would be forthcoming from my official AMA representative.

I have some problems with the above described action and feel that it is in the best interests of the AMA for each and every complaint against any AMA member to be referred to that individual for some solution, regardless of official action. I also think it is irresponsible of the AMA to approve contacts that imply a problem and potential solution with no cause. In short, the attached e-mail might be viewed as a threat unless it is substantiated by a copy of the formal complaint. This is something that needs to be corrected before some individual decides that a lawsuit is a good answer due to the aggravations caused.

Jim Branaum [email protected]

Sent: Tuesday, July 13, 2004 9:04 AM
Subject: be advised

Please be advised that there has been a formal complaint
filed against your Leader Membership status within the AMA.

Be advised that you should be expecting this via registered/certified U S Mail.

Proceedure:

It was moved to accept the procedures addressing complaints regarding Leader Members.

COMPLAINTS REGARDING LEADER MEMBERS - Complaints regarding a Leader Member
(LM) should be made in writing, to the VP of the District where the complaint originated or where the infraction occurred.

The VP will review the written complaint and contact the complainant if additional information or clarification is required.

The VP will then contact the LM, explain the complaint and request a response in writing.

The VP will review the complaint and the LM's response and take whatever course of action is appropriate to resolve the problem, whether it is a warning or a revocation of the LM license. If there is a reprimand given, it should be in writing, and request the matter be reviewed by the Executive Council. The Executive Council could uphold the action taken by the VP, overturn it, or refuse to hear it.

Dr. Sandy Frank
AMA District VIII VP
Old 02-08-2005, 04:29 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: EC problems for the AMA

JB

Your situation is not unique. I was told the same thing by the AMA President a few years back and he suggested I voluntarily resign as a Leader Member. I asked for the copies of the complaints - they were not forth coming per defined protocol. I was told that I risked suspension from the AMA if the matter had to be taken up by the EC if I did not resign voluntarily.

I am still a Leader Member.
Old 02-08-2005, 06:20 PM
CDignition

I dont understand a few things here...how can you be suspended from a voluntary insurance program?? What is this "Leader Member" Buisness all about??..What are the benefits and duties you guys have? What is the Complaint??

Regarding this "Doctor" Frank..he needs some free dental work, applied by "Dr Knuckles"...if he dissed me like that for no good reason, he better run,lol..

You need to rid yourselves of this guy, Pronto...
Old 02-08-2005, 06:41 PM
abel_pranger

Jim-
Cuppla thoughts, one a workaround of the immediate impasse, one for the long haul.

1) There is relatively little district-only business of a policy making nature; most of the policy that DVPs are involved with making is AMA-wide. A few of the DVPs know that, and would likely entertain your inputs rather than dissing you off like 'your' DVP has. You know who they are - contact them.

2) The D-cubed Plan - Dump the Dingbat DVPs. No need to elaborate on that, as the guys in D-I and D-V gave some very effective demonstrations just last fall.

Abel
Old 02-08-2005, 08:19 PM
Jim Branaum

Thanks for the thoughts Abel.

I have already taken action to insure that the inputs were delivered to someone who cares about the AMA over their petty personality problems.

I also am in receipt of an interesting communication from a supporter of my DVP. I have an idea who the sender was, but obviously he was too cowardly to sign his name. Have a laugh and read his rantings.

Sent: Tuesday, February 08, 2005 6:43 PM
Subject: Sandy Frank
Importance: High

Re your latest comments on RCU about Dr. Frank....did it EVER occur to you that Dr. Frank's problem is with YOU, you little rat-faced shrimp, NOT the D-8 membership???

You have commtted slander and libel so many times about him, I have NO idea why he hasn't hauled your scrawny ass into court, stomped the **** out of you, or BOTH! A lesser human being would have done so long ago. The only reason he hasn't is because he's so much more of a man than you.

I would have thought the last election would have clearly shown you how you are regarded in the district, compared to him.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:46 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned

ORIGINAL: CDignition

What is this "Leader Member" Buisness all about?
AMA Membership Manual Article III
(d) LEADER MEMBERS. Those Open members who have
demonstrated an above-average interest and/or participation in
AMA matters and who qualify in accordance with Executive
Council-approved requirements.

LEADER MEMBER
Relating to Article III
1. Article III of the Bylaws of the Academy of Model Aeronautics has
the provision for membership category of Leader member. The
document does not provide the enabling mechanism necessary for the
proper identification and award of this category of membership. The
Leader member is the most important of membership categories in
terms of the operation of the Academy.
The Leader member is identified as an individual performing an above
average interest in the Academy and its functions. There is a provision
in the bylaws which gives the Leader member the right to vote in such
cases as bylaws changes. Nominating procedures for national officers
also require that a nominee be a Leader member. This being so, it is
necessary that a means be incorporated which will permit the proper
implementation of a program to identify and record those members
qualified as Leader members of the Academy.
The procedures listed herein will be followed for future award of this
category.
2. Application for Leader member status will be made by any Open
member using the appropriate form obtained from AMA Headquarters.
The form will, in addition to the requirement of endorsements, have
provisions for a resume of qualifications. This will be identified to
correspond to the three categories of Leader member, (Administration,
Scientific and Industrial).
3. The application will be reviewed to determine the category(ies) for
which Leader member status will be recognized.
4. Provision should be made for awarding certain individuals Leader
membership as a result of service to model aviation. Examples are
those individuals having performed extensive activities in the areas
research and other areas of scientific endeavor. This also applies to
those individuals in the industry having made continuing contributions
to the Academy and the members. These two categories are not as
likely as the Administrative leader to be identified and submitted by the
general membership as that of the Administrative category.
5. Individuals will, upon being approved as a Leader member, receive a
certificate printed on heavy stock and identified with the AMA gold
embossed seal. The document will bear the signatures of the President
and the Executive Director.
6. The Leader member is the highest level of membership and as such
will be noted on the membership card. Other activity categories may be
listed as space provides.
Old 02-08-2005, 10:13 PM
Ione2fly

DVP.... Dismantle Various Positions.... Hehehe!!! Sorry guys just couldn't help myself.
Old 02-08-2005, 10:33 PM
CDignition

Wow, thats alot of work, do you get paid for it??
Old 02-08-2005, 10:50 PM
Jim Branaum

Gosh no! That is not what it is all about.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:01 AM
the-plumber

ORIGINAL: Jim Branaum

Thanks for the thoughts Abel.

I have already taken action to insure that the inputs were delivered to someone who cares about the AMA over their petty personality problems.

I also am in receipt of an interesting communication from a supporter of my DVP. I have an idea who the sender was, but obviously he was too cowardly to sign his name. Have a laugh and read his rantings.
[SNIP]
You probably already knew this, but AOL's Terms Of Use policy reads in part :

"By posting information in or otherwise using any communications service, chat room, message board, newsgroup, software library, or other interactive service, including but not limited to AOL Instant Messenger, that may be available to you on or through this site, you agree that you will not upload, post, or otherwise distribute or facilitate distribution of any content -- including text, communications, software, images, sounds, data, or other information -- that:

1. is unlawful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, libelous, deceptive, fraudulent, invasive of another's privacy, tortious, contains explicit or graphic descriptions or accounts of sexual acts (including but not limited to sexual language of a violent or threatening nature directed at another individual or group of individuals), uses vulgar language in the creation of a Screen Name (AIM) or otherwise violates America Online's rules or policies or these Rules of User Conduct; "

AOL doesn't like it when their subscribers make nasty. Wonder what the folks at [email protected] might think about 'wizard's e-mail ?
Old 02-09-2005, 06:13 AM
CDignition

It is about flying toy airplanes, isn't it??.. I would think that much time expended into a Volunteer arrangement would be better spent helping abused or sick kids, or abused women. How many hours a month are we looking at here?? Let the Pros run the Insurance Company, and go help someone that cant afford it...

ORIGINAL: Jim Branaum

Gosh no! That is not what it is all about.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:01 AM
Jim Branaum

ROFLOL!

Sorry, you missed the important issue that is not laying on the top, but hidden from view. Let me see if I can shed some light on that for you.

If everyone took their volunteer efforts elsewhere, clubs wouldn't form. Clubs are where flying fields are found, NOT the AMA and NOT along side some road somewhere. It should be clear that SOMEONE has to care and provide you the services it takes to fly whenever you want. With no clubs, this would be a very exclusive hobby for the very rich simply due to market issues. Leader Members are folks who take the concern for the future of clubs and the AMA,which fosters clubs ability to acquire flying fields, further than the 'just let me fly' folks.

However I do have to admit it appears that some of the less well adjusted seem get their jollies trying to abuse the folks who just want to make it happen for clubs and other modelers.

By the way, the AMA is NOT just an insurance company. Maybe that is our problem, too many of the wrong folks are treating it like it is.

Fred, thank you for the observation.
Old 02-09-2005, 02:53 PM
Hossfly

Some more light, Jim!

Methinks CDIgnition may be a lot like another couple posters herein, really not as ill informed as they make out to be.

In another thread, IIRC, it is the one on the heart-problem member flying issue, CDI made an astute observation reference the new AMA ED's letter that was copied there. I had wanted to say the same thing, however it would be labeled "Sour Grapes" from me. While I don't think anyone paid a lot of attention to CDI's remarks, IMO, he picked up very well on Koranda's reply.

Whatever the case, you very well present the explanation.

In addition Thanks for the credit you gave 'Horrible' back there for the 'mandate' thing.