AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA and IMAA Chartered Clubs

Old 02-17-2005, 02:34 PM
jetflyer
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default AMA and IMAA Chartered Clubs

How many people fly at clubs which are chartered with the same name under AMA and IMAA? Isn;t that a violation under the AMA?

Even though membership into the IMAA requires current AMA membership, AMA document 909 states that an AMA club must be chartered only with the AMA and cannot be chartered with any other organization. And if it does, it must do so under a different name.
http://www.modelaircraft.org/PDF-Files/909.pdf

JR Gautreaux
Old 02-17-2005, 03:27 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: AMA and IMAA Chartered Clubs

ORIGINAL: jetflyer

How many people fly at clubs which are chartered with the same name under AMA and IMAA? Isn;t that a violation under the AMA?

Even though membership into the IMAA requires current AMA membership, AMA document 909 states that an AMA club must be chartered only with the AMA and cannot be chartered with any other organization. And if it does, it must do so under a different name.
http://www.modelaircraft.org/PDF-Files/909.pdf

JR Gautreaux
The IMAA has chapters, they do not charter a club. An IMAA chapter may be or not be affiliated with a Chartered AMA club. There are some IMAA chapters that are an entire club. This club my be chartered under the AMA. Chapters vs Clubs - they are not mutually exclusive. The IMAA chapter within an AMA chartered club may have a different name or carry the name of the club. The Binghamton Aeros are an IMAA chapter, and the name of the AMA chartered club is The Binghamton Aeros. My club, The Flying Gators MAC, has and IMAA chapter which goes under the name Avigators.

Old 02-17-2005, 03:37 PM
jetflyer
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Red,

Thanks for that clarification.

JR Gautreaux
Old 02-17-2005, 04:44 PM
J_R

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

In an effort to completly confuse you, the AMA also has chapters. AMA chapters are made up of groups of chartered clubs, generally ones that want to share a single field.

The IMAA is what as known as a SIG, or Special Interest Group. A SIG represents its membership to the AMA. Many rules, particularly competition rules are instigated by SIGs.