Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA Ultimate Model Aeronautics Video Library

AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.
View Poll Results: A poll
Loved it great freebee
27.59%
Loved it had to send my money in
6.90%
OK but I'd rather see lower AMA fees
24.14%
The Start of somthing great
0%
Deep 6th the DVD and used the DVD case for other Stuff
13.79%
Liked the coin
6.90%
Too bad I don't have DVD in the "John" as it would help pass the time
20.69%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

AMA Ultimate Model Aeronautics Video Library

Old 02-26-2005, 12:06 PM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (84)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default AMA Ultimate Model Aeronautics Video Library

Got the AMA Video Library Vol 1 in the mail and ran it today. Not bad the Warbirds over Delaware segment was great. Well what did you think and will you sign up for more.

Pete
Old 02-26-2005, 12:14 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: AMA Ultimate Model Aeronautics Video Library

Where did you get this.? I'm assuming from the AMA (duh[:@]) but did you order it or is it something they are sending out??
Old 02-26-2005, 03:35 PM
Rocketman612

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It came unsolicited in the mail yesterday. The accompanying letter from Dave Brown said that the AMA wanted to give the members "more value" and want to have a series of quality DVD's on our hobby. The DVD was very well done and on the order of the modelsport series. I expect many will get them in the mail over the next few days.

Pete
Old 02-26-2005, 06:50 PM
J_R

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You should edit the poll to remove this choice. The dvd program did not cost the AMA a penny. On the other hand, they will recieve a small percentage of the proceeds. Check the EC minutes for verification.
Old 02-26-2005, 07:23 PM
Rocketman612

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: J_R

You should edit the poll to remove this choice. The dvd program did not cost the AMA a penny. On the other hand, they will recieve a small percentage of the proceeds. Check the EC minutes for verification.
And as a result of their profit some would say lower fees. The choice is valid.

Pete
Old 02-28-2005, 12:46 AM
patternrules
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Personally I don't like anyone sending me something I didn't order and expect me to either pay for it or send back if I don't want it for me it was just a pain in the you know what, but thats not on your poll, no offense to anyone but I'm really against this type of marketing.
Steve Maxwell
Old 02-28-2005, 01:43 AM
J_R

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

patternrules

R-E R-E-A-D T-H-E L-E-T-T-E-R F-R-O-M D-A-V-E B-R-O-W-N
Old 02-28-2005, 10:21 AM
Rocketman612

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: patternrules

Personally I don't like anyone sending me something I didn't order and expect me to either pay for it or send back if I don't want it for me it was just a pain in the you know what, but thats not on your poll, no offense to anyone but I'm really against this type of marketing.
Steve Maxwell
Steve,
Marketing is another and separate issue. I agree that if you send me something don't ask me to send it back if I don't like it.

I really just wanted to know if many got the DVD's and what they thought of them as an entertainment/education/advertising tool for our Hobby/Sport.

Pete
Old 02-28-2005, 11:03 AM
patternrules
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

JR Someone has the Crayons out, and I did read, thats why I sent it back to be taken off the list.

Rocketman there was 50,000 sent out, I didn't find anything of interest to me, I think they would have been better served to sent to new people not someone that has been around for many years and competes, it didn't have anything I haven't seen or done within my interest as my screenname implies.
Steve
Old 02-28-2005, 11:35 AM
J_R

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

JR Someone has the Crayons out, and I did read, thats why I sent it back to be taken off the list.

Rocketman there was 50,000 sent out, I didn't find anything of interest to me, I think they would have been better served to sent to new people not someone that has been around for many years and competes, it didn't have anything I haven't seen or done within my interest as my screenname implies.
Steve
When you state only two options, instead of the three actually contained in the offer, crayons seemed an appropriate medium.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:37 AM
Hossfly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I really just wanted to know if many got the DVD's and what they thought of them as an entertainment/education/advertising tool for our Hobby/Sport.
While I have not seen the DVD, I cannot effectively judge its worth in education or even entertainment. From what I gather in all the comments here and other places, the method of distribution does inflame a number of current AMA members, albeit just a few of those within the total distribution.

The main problem, however, as for as advertising the Hobby/Sport, the DVD program is as the magazine, "MA". That problem is that it is contained within the current membership, and does not go outside the walls. Only when the membership elects leaders with a vision that is able to see well beyond the walls of current membership, then and only then will any program return to AMA a valid source of income, adequate to benefit the membership itself rather than the current scurry to simply increase the in-house bureaucracy.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:46 AM
J_R

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

The main problem, however, as for as advertising the Hobby/Sport, the DVD program is as the magazine, "MA". That problem is that it is contained within the current membership, and does not go outside the walls. Only when the membership elects leaders with a vision that is able to see well beyond the walls of current membership, then and only then will any program return to AMA a valid source of income, adequate to benefit the membership itself rather than the current scurry to simply increase the in-house bureaucracy.
Horrace

Now I am really disappointed. It is truly unlike you to not have read what has been posted, or, apparently, even the minutes of an EC meeting.

From the July 2004 EC Minutes:

T. Schwyn has been working with various groups offering affinity programs. Of the proposals he has reviewed, he thought the TN proposal would produce the most favorable results and not cost the Academy anything to participate. A handout was offered and a brief presentation given. Schwyn did visit the facility in Minneapolis/St. Paul area and found it to be very professional. Schwyn proposes that AMA proceed to the sampling stage of the program.
When asked who owns the copyright to the DVDs/tapes/books of the product, Schwyn thought TN would hold it for the first 18 months after which the AMA would own it. He would however, get confirmation of this. The members would be contacted and asked if they would like to receive this product; only those who choose to would receive it. AMA would not give up any rights to the membership list and they only have access to the database if AMA allows. As far as content, AMA has full input over the content and the right of refusal of any content. AMA would insist that mailings be done through a third party mailing house; T. Schwyn thought TN would be agreeable to this. Length of the sampling video would be around 10-20 minutes with the full production video being anywhere from 45 minutes to one and one half hours. Average price for production per piece is $17.00-$19.95. If AMA chooses, the video would contain trailers leading individuals not already AMA members to the organization. TN would look for direction from AMA in marketing to those outside the existing membership.
T. Schwyn will develop a plan to market this video to the general masses in an effort to generate interest and membership in AMA.
A straw poll of Council showed that T. Schwyn should proceed with the project.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:38 PM
Hossfly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Horrace

Now I am really disappointed. It is truly unlike you to not have read what has been posted, or, apparently, even the minutes of an EC meeting.
Sorry to disappoint you JR however I have been disappointed for so long by the AMA EC that I may not feel your pain as well as I should. BTW I have read the minutes and the posting here but it was far too much of a guessing game plan.

Far too many/much 'Schwyn thought' stuff here to suit me, along with such *professional actions* of 'A straw poll of Council' for me to get serious about the deal's potential future.

I sat for too long 'discussing' the future of and hearing that MA would become a giant revenue producer when the war was raging about commercial publication, mandatory or not, etc. etc. I have observed this cancer grow. I was there when it was a sin to object to the fees paid J. Gerber for the films he made.

Just recently the infamous Document 537 episode evidenced that the EC had so little recollection of what they voted and how it was to effect the clubs. What they talk about today is forgotten tomorrow.

Episodes of small talk laced with 'he thought' combined with "The members would be contacted and asked if they would like to receive this product; only those who choose to would receive it." evidenced by how the actual contact was made, are not episodes that impress me favorably with THEIR promises as compared to my concepts of what should be done.

Personally I am not against the method of distribution. I am against DB endorsing an outside commercial venture using AMA for their commercial benefit. I am also totally suspect of any such plan that is so full of casual concern and maybe-so planning.

edited to remove same word twice and add.
Old 02-28-2005, 01:41 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am against DB endorsing an outside commercial venture using AMA for their commercial benefit.

Now that is something worthy of more discussion.
Old 02-28-2005, 01:44 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Steve Maxwell

I didn't see anything in there about sending it back if you don't like it. Maybe I missed it. If you don't like getting something in the mail, throw it away. Its life.

AS for the tape and coin, I would rather see them reduce the dues than waste money sending things like this out, but the jet section is way cool.

Old 02-28-2005, 02:05 PM
J_R

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: FLYBOY

AS for the tape and coin, I would rather see them reduce the dues than waste money sending things like this out, but the jet section is way cool.
1. It is a DVD, not a tape
2. It cost the AMA nothing. Read the excerpt from the EC minutes in post #12, i.e. "he thought the TN proposal would produce the most favorable results and not cost the Academy anything to participate."

While it is highly unlikely that the small amount of revenue projected from this program might decrease dues, it's pretty near impossible that something that costs nothing will raise dues.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:13 PM
J_R

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Horrace, I would say nice recovery from a slip, but, I guess everyone will make up their own mind about that.

I still expect to see some serious efforts from the AMA, spearheaded by Don Koranda, to market the AMA in the near future (a few months). EVP Doug Holland and EC picked a guy with some great credentials in growing organizations. Research the AOPA membership relative to the number of pilots and you will find that he grew the organization substantially while the number of pilots were decreasing. Pretty impressive.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:35 PM
J_R

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: P-51B

I am against DB endorsing an outside commercial venture using AMA for their commercial benefit.

Now that is something worthy of more discussion.
Trying to tag Dave Brown with blame (or credit) for this progam is quite a stretch.

We know that Schwyn made his presentation to the EC during ED, Joyce Hager's, report at the EC meeting. She probably had the power to make the decision herself, without the conscent of the EC, since it was going to cost the AMA nothing. The ED is charged with the day to day operation of the AMA... not the EC or President. She has always been conservative and looked to the EC for guidance. The EC did not even make a formal motion, thus indicating that she does have this authority. Instead, a straw vote was taken indicating approval of her decision.

Schwyn, in all likelyhood was presented with a prepared letter from the marketing company for Dave Brown's signature. DB probably reviewed it and signed it as part of his duties as AMA President.

To say that Dave Brown, in some way, stood to benefit from his signature, or did anything he was not empowered to do doesn't make any sense to me. I know he signs many documents as AMA President. If he signed a contract for installing the CL circles at the last World Championships, would you have the same concern?

We can challenge his views and actions on a lot of issues, but, this one is out in left field, as far as I am concerned.
Old 02-28-2005, 05:42 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

2. It cost the AMA nothing. Read the excerpt from the EC minutes in post #12, i.e. "he thought the TN proposal would produce the most favorable results and not cost the Academy anything to participate."

While it is highly unlikely that the small amount of revenue projected from this program might decrease dues, it's pretty near impossible that something that costs nothing will raise dues.
Tape, movie, DVD, same thing. You got the point. As for the AMA not spending anything on it, cool! As far as it isn't costing the membership money, It is ok. If it helps promote the hobby and maybe generate some income, thats cool too. I don't see it generating much. As I said in another thread, I bet AMA sees very little of the procedes, but hey, something is better than nothing.
Old 02-28-2005, 07:00 PM
Rocketman612

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Tape, movie, DVD, same thing. You got the point. As for the AMA not spending anything on it, cool! As far as it isn't costing the membership money, It is ok. If it helps promote the hobby and maybe generate some income, thats cool too. I don't see it generating much. As I said in another thread, I bet AMA sees very little of the procedes, but hey, something is better than nothing.

My sentiments too. The sponsoring organization only sees a few pennies. Anyone remember Live Aid for Africa[X(]

Pete
Old 02-28-2005, 07:24 PM
J_R

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You are certainly entitled to your sentiment. However, consider this. A few pennies of your dues is what goes to AMA scholarships. Virtually no pennies of your dues go to the AMA museum.

The AMA expects this program to take in 5,000,000 pennies. How would you feel if those pennies were added to the ones your dues provides to the above programs? It's being disccused and it is not a fact yet, but, does it change your opinion?
Old 02-28-2005, 07:33 PM
J_R

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Flyboy, take a look at this post. Tell Jerry a DVD and a tape are the same thing.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=2707123&key=

Old 02-28-2005, 08:00 PM
old-pilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

POSTS, et al;
I'm a little disappointed. I didn't receive one. I had to borrow one to see what the fuss was about. Will try to get one into our club library. Nothing I haven't seen before, but, with the influx of new members into our club, maybe will spark some interest in something besides Park Flyers.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:29 PM
Rocketman612

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You are certainly entitled to your sentiment. However, consider this. A few pennies of your dues is what goes to AMA scholarships. Virtually no pennies of your dues go to the AMA museum.

The AMA expects this program to take in 5,000,000 pennies. How would you feel if those pennies were added to the ones your dues provides to the above programs? It's being disccused and it is not a fact yet, but, does it change your opinion?
I think that would be super. BUT I'd have to see it first.

Look, I thought the DVD was pretty good. Will I send $ in for it probably no as I didn't order it. Will I buy one in the future? Possible if the cost isn't high and the content is worth having.

From the poll nobody thinks this is the start of something great. Not sure how many in the series will actually be made I believe 6 was mentioned somewhere but if it's a lead balloon less will be made.

Pete
Old 02-28-2005, 09:16 PM
J_R

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

More details are in the EC minutes posted today. The AMA will get 8% of sales. The selling price will be about $18. If we assume about 140,000 adult members, the AMA needs about 5% of the membership to buy into a 6 disc run to realize $50,000 in revenue.

There is an old marketing saying: "You can tell people to go to hell, but you have to make them look forward to the trip". It's too bad the EC and/or Schwyn didn't tie this effort to some specific fundraising... like schlorships, or the museum.

Who knows? Maybe they thought they might, just maybe, take in billions of pennies. LOL

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service