Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

January 2005 EC Minutes Posted

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

January 2005 EC Minutes Posted

Old 02-28-2005, 04:57 PM
J_R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default January 2005 EC Minutes Posted

Some interesting stuff, including details on the DVD program. Read completely and carefully

http://www.modelaircraft.org/0105ecminutes.asp

Old 02-28-2005, 10:09 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: January 2005 EC Minutes Posted

Yep, maybe some of the most entertaining comments in any minutes in a long time.

Examples: (All in my personal styled paraphrase: )
Dave M. says it's time to quit using the dues increase as a Crutch or Excuse for the decline in membership. Looks like at least one EC member is listening to someone out here.[8D]
Pay for your DVD at $9 and be in line for the remainder at $18-19 each. AMA gets 8%.each.
The marketing expert says he predicts the DVD will bring AMA growth of 5% per year or 200,000 members within 5 years.
(No indication of his medication! )
Indications that the "Safety Video" and the Indoor Sites program are receiving their share of stumbling blocks in the path.
Changes for requirements of an EVP doesn't seem in the works for this year. [>:]
Looks like the Bylaws changes are again having set-backs. Some differences of opinion must be slipping in there. [:-]

Grab a cold one, some chips and salsa and take 10 to enjoy yourself.

Edit: I got even more optimistic than Schwyn on the number of new members. Gotta' get another cold one!!
Old 02-28-2005, 10:11 PM
F106A
My Feedback: (2)

J_R,
That last paragraph caught my attention!
I went back in my records and found I talked to Koranda on 2/3, after the EC meeting. I take him at his word on that date that AMA
was/is not sanctioning the actions of the BOD against Don.
A couple of other "interesting" items in there too!
BRG,
Jon
Old 02-28-2005, 10:21 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The minutes say:

"A club contacted AMA for guidance in regard to an issue involving the medical condition of one of its members. Maroney read AMAā€™s response to the club, which supported their decision. The ED stated this was a situation where the club looked to AMA for confirmation, and it was appropriate for Maroney to indicate AMA supported the club's decision. He further noted that AMA does not have a specific policy that would address the issue in question. Council should be aware that down the road it could become necessary to establish a policy that would address this type of situation."

So the AMA is indeed supporting the club BOD decision?
Old 02-28-2005, 10:28 PM
J_R

Hi Horrace,

Pair these two up.
Dave M. says it's time to quit using the dues increase as a Crutch or Excuse for the decline in membership. Looks like at least one EC member is listening to someone out here.

And

Changes for EVP status doesn't seem in the works for this year.
Looks like the Bylaws changes are again having set-backs. Some differences of opinion must be slipping in there.

Now

Couple that with Hanson planning to offer his resignation as chairman of the by-laws committee to Dave Brown.
Do you suppose there is some reason the committees are having problems getting members and keeping them?

Still calling them the Good ā€˜ol boys? Still think it is all ā€œback room politicsā€?

BTW, you really need to do the research on the AOPA growth under Kornada... or call him about it. You might start to believe 200,000 is not only possible, but might even be conservative.

Old 02-28-2005, 10:35 PM
J_R

ORIGINAL: F106A

J_R,
That last paragraph caught my attention!
I went back in my records and found I talked to Koranda on 2/3, after the EC meeting. I take him at his word on that date that AMA
was/is not sanctioning the actions of the BOD against Don.
A couple of other "interesting" items in there too!
BRG,
Jon
Best bet? Call Koranda again.

My guess is he will tell you that the AMA agrees with the BOD decision, but, at the same time, the AMA has no authority to implement such a decision nor take any offical action. It's a local problem.

There is a difference between agreeing with an action, and sanctioning it.

On this one, all I know is what I read. You're it.

PS If the AMA agrees that the sky is blue, it makes absolutely no difference unless they can do something to change it.

The BOD took action, THEN and only then, did the BOD ask for an opinion. Had the BOD gone to the AMA and asked what to to, who knows what might have happened? The AMA has no right to tell the BOD to change it's decision. They have no right to tell them to stand by the decision. Would they have agreeded if the club had said they were going to let the guy fly? We will never know.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:12 PM
Hossfly

ORIGINAL: J_R

Hi Horrace,

//SNIP// the pairing and coupling. BTDTA

Do you suppose there is some reason the committees are having problems getting members and keeping them?

Still calling them the Good ā€˜ol boys? Still think it is all ā€œback room politicsā€?

BTW, you really need to do the research on the AOPA growth under Kornada... or call him about it. You might start to believe 200,000 is not only possible, but might even be conservative.
If the committees are having a problem then the DVPs should go to their districts and say, "You people elect us a pres. that will allow work to get done. The one you keep voting in is wrecking our chances to get this train on track." THEN, I may option for changes. Not Yet!

If those DVPs can't play hardball then they should move back to the softball leagues and let some MEN in there that CAN do the job.

Since I started observing from the outside, then the inside, and then back way outside for 30+ years, I see the back room getting a bit smoky and maybe warm, however that all will settle back to business as usual within a few months. (Oh Please let me be wrong??)
Koranda works for the EC. If the fire gets really hot, just who will be holding the water hose? At such time it may be as YOU say "KORNADA". Right now it's all just fun and games. As for 'calling'. he can call me. I wouldn't want to deprive the membership from getting a day's work for a day's pay.

BTW just who has "EARNED" life memberships to the total of 769, more than 577 that have paid for the LM? Ol' EVP is getting all worked up about the expense of maintaining services for LMs. Another "Joke"!
Old 03-01-2005, 12:03 AM
J_R

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

[ Koranda works for the EC. If the fire gets really hot, just who will be holding the water hose? At such time it may be as YOU say "KORNADA". Right now it's all just fun and games. As for 'calling'. he can call me. I wouldn't want to deprive the membership from getting a day's work for a day's pay.

BTW just who has "EARNED" life memberships to the total of 769, more than 577 that have paid for the LM? Ol' EVP is getting all worked up about the expense of maintaining services for LMs. Another "Joke"!
Hi Horrace

I believe I know who will be holding the hose, but, I will leave it to you to make your own determination. I have no concerns of a fire erupting. It was no mistake he was appointed by this EC. IMO, what you have read elsewhere is an accurate depiction of the hiring.

The numbers I am going to put out about AOPA are not exactly correct. I did not take notes, but, it is close enough to the right ratios. When Koranda started with AOPA, there were about 850,000 pilots. About 200,000 were APOA members. When he left, there were about 600,000 pilots and about 400,000 were APOA members. Not bad for the rookie recruited by the EVP, Doug Holland, huh?

I actually don't know where ALL of the non-paid life memberships come from. Some are bestowed on AMA fellows (its part of the award). I assume Hall of Fame members are either also Fellows or get a life membership upon being elected (if still alive). I imagine others are bestowed dignataries. As old as the AMA is, I was not surprised at the number.

You can certainly change the convention we have used on the net of referring to leader members as LM's, but, be consistent. I went back and reviewed the minutes because there was an item involving LM's, but not life members. I would prefer LM=leader member. Apparently, so does the person that took the minutes. Please?
Old 03-01-2005, 09:51 PM
Hossfly

JR:

I said >>>>BTW just who has "EARNED" life memberships to the total of 769, more than 577 that have paid for the LM? Ol' EVP is getting all worked up about the expense of maintaining services for LMs. Another "Joke"!
<<<<<<

You said:
>>>>> You can certainly change the convention we have used on the net of referring to leader members as LM's, but, be consistent. I went back and reviewed the minutes because there was an item involving LM's, but not life members. I would prefer LM=leader member. Apparently, so does the person that took the minutes. Please?
<<<<<

I won't say "Sorry" about that one. The so called Internet etiquette is one of my very least concerns. If one cannot refer the initials, abbreviation, etc. to the subject item of the paragraph, well that one has a problem. Not my worry.

P.S. Anyone that thinks DB wasn't the man behind the deed in recruiting Koranda is one without perception of real world politics.
Old 03-01-2005, 10:41 PM
J_R

P.S. Anyone that thinks DB wasn't the man behind the deed in recruiting Koranda is one without perception of real world politics.
Horrace,

Dave Brown has stated he did not have anything to do with recruiting Koranda... in his own column. I have told you that he did not (information from several sources including Dave Brown).

At this point, I can not imagine what would change your mind.

It was kinda cool that Doug Holland made the AMA another $1/4 million on investments last year, as shown in the minutes, huh?