AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA Videos

Old 02-28-2005, 06:59 PM
hopkimf
My Feedback: (56)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default AMA Videos

Just posted a note in Questions and Answers. Should have been posted here. Sorry
Old 02-28-2005, 09:41 PM
hopkimf
My Feedback: (56)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: AMA Videos

Somebody dumped my post from the Q& A section.

Today I received in the mail an unsolicited tape from AMA with instructions to try it and buy it or return it with the perpaid postage. It may be a great video, but i don't like getting unsolicited stuff that requires me to take some action if I don't want it.

My second issue was the requirement to belong to AMA for insurance. I was told when I started to get an AMA card to fly at the field. OK, insurance is needed. But in other areas, there are choices. Car insurance, full scale insurance, etc. can be purchased from a number of sources. For RC, are there other sources for the same coverage offered by AMA? As I said in the post that was dumped, I have no axe to grind. I believe the AMA is a good organization. I'm just an individual with a question. With the vast number of RC modelers out there, this must have come up before.
Old 02-28-2005, 09:58 PM
J_R

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi hopkimf

First, you missed an opportunity on the DVD. There was a third choice given you in the letter from Dave Brown. You could have kept it as a gift.

The more interesting part of your questions is about insurance. Although the personal insurance is undoubtedly important to you, that is not it's major value. Most AMA members do not realize that clubs pay a maximum of $80 a year for club insurance. That club insurance also supplies the landlord with a $2.5 million liability policy as well. Without the coverage for the landlord, and the club, it is unlikely there would be as many places to fly. I am sure you realize that $80 is not the full cost of the policy. Each and every AMA adult member subsidizes the policies for the clubs.

PS your other post is in the clubhouse. The moderators will probably dump one or the other.
Old 03-03-2005, 12:46 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: hopkimf

My second issue was the requirement to belong to AMA for insurance. I was told when I started to get an AMA card to fly at the field. OK, insurance is needed. But in other areas, there are choices. Car insurance, full scale insurance, etc. can be purchased from a number of sources. For RC, are there other sources for the same coverage offered by AMA? As I said in the post that was dumped, I have no axe to grind. I believe the AMA is a good organization. I'm just an individual with a question. With the vast number of RC modelers out there, this must have come up before.
You have a two part question.

Yes, insurance is available from other sources. As a matter of fact, for most people, the AMA coverage would only come into effect if their other coverage was not enough. Most homeowners policy would cover this hobby. Some people carry individual liability policies (aka umbrella policies). You could probably get a special RC policy, but I have never looked into that. However, none of these would cover the landowner of where you are flying (unless its on your own property). AMA provides coverage to the landowner via the chartered club mechanism.

The other part is that in order to fly at an AMA field you must be a member of AMA.

As a side, insurance is a side benefit of AMA membership, it is not their purpose for existance.