Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Club Meetings!! WHY

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Club Meetings!! WHY

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 09:41 PM
Live Wire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Club Meetings!! WHY

You go to a club meeting and no one has any thing to say. But every one has an oipion on what has to be done. When asked what there thoughts are they look across the room and see what they are to respond to, Who are they looking at, It should be a mirror and maybe it will give them the Gutts to do what they know is wright. Sorry I have seen this and it should be changed, If you disagree let it be known. The only way changes will be made is if you speek up!

After club problems where do you fly, who has the write to stop any one from finding a new sight and flying, But it happens and some people are flying where and when they can.
Again Thanks to fellow fliers and to the blind man.

[8D]
Old 12-21-2004, 07:27 AM
SSRCCPREZ

Default RE: Club Meetings!! WHY

SiGH[&o]
Well, as a president, I cannot agree with you more. The truth is the few make the decisions for the many, and the many complain about it. When these red diaper doper babies are confronted witht he reality of Hey go the meetings!!!, They have a million excuses. My response has always been don't complain if you have not been to meetings period. My members know that at the meeting I will listen to everyone. At the field I listen to almost noone,especially if they are not meeting goers. This is where we conduct the business of the club, not the field and not by non-meeting goers. Many people do not like this type of attitude, but is not just an attitude, it is a reality.

SSRCCPREZ
Old 12-21-2004, 07:39 AM
Woody218
My Feedback: (24)

Must be a common problem, our club's the same.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:10 AM
scrcc_guy

Not so much a common problem, but a common condition.
For nine years as President of the South County R/C Club (Rhode Island) I suffered thru every painful daily pratfall that could befall an R/C club. These included Safety issues, Noise issues, organizational and motivational issues. Between that daily whackyness, belly laughs, near misses and personality conflicts, it was quite a ride.
There were times where I found myself believing that some of the stuff we were dealing with was unique to our condition, but I have come to understand that my paltry 18 years in the hobby had not allowed me the opportunity to understand the ultimate R/C truth; and I learned this from some of our members who had transfered (their daytime job) into the Underwater Systems Center at the Newport Naval Base. These guys had the advantage of having been members of several clubs through out the USA, and they related this which I carry to this day.
The R/C condition is the same whereever you go. Safety issues, Noise issues, organizational and motivational issues; they're all the same.
It's how you deal with them that makes it unique.
Your local club is still the best situated to respond to the needs of it's members and local issues, and it's important that it has structure, rules and the support of its' members. And besides the club newsletter, the club meeting is the only other organized forum to discuss club business. If there are those that complain about what comes out of meetings, they have no one to complain about but themselves, until such time as they get involved themselves

P
Old 12-22-2004, 02:01 PM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Attendance at meetings has gone to 100% with no complaining since we moved the meeting place from the church to the "Lusty Ladies Gentlemans Club".

Just kidding

As a club officer, I have drawn to the conclusion that this is a factor of human nature. Organizations will have those that do, those that don't, and those that think they did it all.

We have one major objective at meetings, to have fun and enjoy our time together.

Scott
Old 12-22-2004, 03:13 PM
scrcc_guy

Our experience was basically the same. When we moved to Happy Harrys Home for Heavenly Hedonistic Honeys, Our attendence jumped. For the longest time my wife couldn't understand why I'd get that far away look whenever anyone announced there was a motion on the floor ;-p

P
Old 12-22-2004, 03:57 PM
scottrc

[X(][X(]
Old 12-22-2004, 04:18 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Not everyone was born to lead !!!

100 followers just doesn't cut it !!!
Old 12-22-2004, 04:57 PM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I mostly agree with you with one large exception. I listen to folks who don't go to the meeting because once in a while a great idea comes from that sector and having my mind closed is not in the best interests of the club. It is the old saw, you know. Once in a while even the blind pig finds an acorn.

That all being said, I do not get all bent out of shape by hecklers who don't go to the meeting, and every single club in the world has those less than smart noise makers. There is an old Roman saying about those folks ill illigetami non carborundum. My Latin is lacking, so here is the transliteration "Don't let the bast____'s get you down".
Old 12-22-2004, 06:51 PM
Live Wire

It looks like meetings could be set up for more than the interests of the few, the main discussion is on what they are interested in and nothing else. Looks like there would be more interest in other activities to keep interest all year round not just what these certain people want. Not all people have the same interest and some times do like to be heard and have a little say in what is going on.

[8D]
Old 12-22-2004, 07:30 PM
crownvic

It seems the purpose of club meetings is to make more rules
Old 12-22-2004, 07:33 PM
Jim Branaum

Unfortunately THAT is exactly what a few try to use them for. That is also why I listen to folks who don't go to meetings because their take on suggested rules has value. Some of us spend our time and efforts protecting the membership from those whose hobby is controlling others. . . .
Old 12-22-2004, 07:49 PM
Jim Thomerson

Do Show and Tell first, then have the business meeting. Refer the business to the Executive Committe and reform at the Burger King.

Jim (former club president)
Old 12-22-2004, 08:17 PM
Live Wire

My God all clubs are alike. I thought some would be run different than others. Coffee shop sounds familiar, What is this show and tell, is that where you make an ***** out of a club member been there done that

[8D]
Old 12-22-2004, 10:02 PM
Jim Branaum

Nah, that is were some club member shows off his hard efforts. Some look much better than others.
Old 12-23-2004, 12:35 AM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Show and Tell is the best part.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:35 AM
scottrc

We too have show and tell, but touching is not allowed.
Old 12-23-2004, 11:43 AM
Live Wire

That take the fun out of it![>:]

[8D]
Old 12-26-2004, 10:25 PM
RC-Captain

sorry to leave the topic, but to points.....

1 i never heard of anybody complaining about, some one not complaining, or having an opinion

2 I don't belong to a club yet but know 100's of guy's who do, and they don't mind giving me free of dues training or advice .
Old 12-27-2004, 07:40 PM
Live Wire

Not off topic at all ! What takes place at most meetings reflects on the club at the field. Some people are in the hobby to promote it and others want just to have a place to fly and not be bothered by some newbee. "Back when!!" I had a trainer, radio and buddy box with me every time I went to the field ready to give a hand. That is what this hobby is all about but things change.

[8D]
Old 12-27-2004, 08:24 PM
RC-Captain

RC Outlaw , yep this has to be true because when I went to a field for the first time, the first thing that came out of one of the veterans at the field was " we dont have any teachers here" then I asked well how do I join the club ? he said after a 20 minute time lapse, you have to have AMA to fly here, then I said I have it already , so then I asked where was the club house and out of the 5 people at the flying site no one knew the address , So this backs up exactly what you are talking about . I'd bet they just didnt want to be bothered........

This was 90% of the reason I decided to go it alone and I turned out OK. probably more broke than I would have being taught , but OK.

Once AMA told me I could fly any where as long as I am permmited by state county or city I would be covered I was on my way.
Old 12-27-2004, 09:00 PM
Live Wire

It is to bad clubs can't work together for the good of all its members not just a few. I am one of those old Far$s that got tire of being pushed around and called names, let no that I was not wanted. The best thing I have found is like you, go it on your own until you find a group you can fit into. Find a place that is safe and enjoy your self and good luck!
Happy New Year
Old 12-27-2004, 09:19 PM
Taildrager-inactive
My Feedback: (11)

Club Meetings!! WHY: so the gezzers can get out of the house once a month at nite Our Club board usually deals with issues affecting the club, then presents them to the general membership for their approvial, disaprovial, or to be tabled for further research or discussion at a later time. This seems to work quite well as the board is made up of guys that want to help shape and guide the club through the year. Thanks to them we don't have endless fights & discussion, but have meetings that are intresting and fun.
Old 12-27-2004, 09:39 PM
RC-Captain

Well RC-Outlaw you may have been in a better positon than me . I'm 35 to date, and if you think the clubs are bad , you should go to some of the hobby shops I go to.

I walk in and its like the store owner or employee has just seen E.T. [&:] walk through the door, They don't ask you what they can help you with and when they do you are supposed to be an expert about the parts you are asking for, dont get me wrong I have received alot of help from hobby shops but the majority of them makes me ask " how do they stay in business?"

I'm trying real hard to keep my purchasing LOCAL , in the US at least but if this nonsense keeps up I'm going to start ordering my stuff from over seas. At least when I do I won't have to be looked at like the ninth wonder of the world.

It just cracks me up how people find it hard to be nice ., when My entire life my parents even up til today said no matter how people treat you act bigger than them and just be nice.

Happy New year to you too.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:33 PM
Live Wire

I owned a LHS and tried to help out the best I could, helped young people, schools with projects, club discounts and all but you can not please every one. Had to close down and then you go into a LHS and see what is going on and wonder how they stay in business they think it is a crime if you do not buy $$$$$$$$$ worth of part every time you walk in the door . For the matter of fact if you are just browsing stay out. A lot of LHS run off their own business. Whats bad is to drive 150mi. to get the treatment. It would be nice if club members would support their LHS rather than just pick up the small Items that they do not want to pay shipping on. It was hard to be competitive.
Well I think I have got into anough hot water for one night!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.