Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

here is ONE UN-USED AMA membership card!

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

here is ONE UN-USED AMA membership card!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2004, 10:31 PM
J3FAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default here is ONE UN-USED AMA membership card!

With a HUGE park whose lawn is mowed constantly AVAILABLE AND EMPTY every day---and having to drive 2 miles only, to FLY --(the field at which I need to use the AMA card lies at exactly 46 miles from my garage)-and with Electric models that run the GAMUT of RC : i.e. FORMOSA - ALFA - et.al. + helis etc, getting all the benefits PLUS (+++) silence and (NO OIL)
and having resigned from at least 3 "political beehives of good ole boys' circles" a.k.a. (CLUBS)

MY AMA CARD HAS NOT BEEN USED IN OVER A YEAR !
why do I need it ?

I can't think of ONE reason........

THINK OF IT THIS WAY : THE HOBBY INDUSTRY ITSELF HAS ENCOURAGED ME TO PRESCIND OF THE AMA SERVICES !

FAREWELL AMA .... especially """GOODBYE R/C CLUBS""" who needs you ?...I certainly don't need arrogant "safety officers" or moronic 3D flying up close and in my face, for sure !...or two month wonder boys who in sixty days have acquired 30 years worth of "experience" !

My new Club is called RCU.
I learn MORE here than anywhere else and I don't have to put up with "pseudo-xpert" newbies.

And it's free !

POST ADDED MUCH LATER : Guys, I am now laughing at myself real hard......I forgot that because I am over 65 I signed up for TWO YEARS, my membership expires on 12/31/2005....I think I hear AMA whisper : GOTCHA !

NOW move this post to the HUMOUR SECTION
Old 12-26-2004, 11:09 PM
aaron2874

Default RE: here is ONE UN-USED AMA membership card!

hehe... I didn't renew my membership either. I have 10 acres I can fly on anytime I want surrounded by another 500 of farmland. Just couldn't see paying dues anymore. Of course, not everyone is so fortunate.
Old 12-26-2004, 11:19 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Before you know it people will see you flying and figure out what a good thing you have going. Soon there will be a bunch of people flying and maybe someone will get dinged in the head with a plane. Then the parks dept. will worry about liability and want some insurance. Welcome back!
Old 12-26-2004, 11:33 PM
J3FAN

BB
thanks for the timely observation.
I've been there and done that.
1 - When and if there are people on the field, the planes don't come out of the truck.
2 - Because I am up in age and disabled, and flying since the mid 50's.....I use the nearby Park ONLY on week days when its EMPTY. I have the MAXIMUM possible experience with RC and this helps me to excercise MAXIMUM good judgement.
3 - the models are just oz. weights so they would cause no damage to anything ( there's nothing out there to begin with) just me and the truck
4 - in all this time, I have had ONLY ONE PERSON notice my RC planes, and he had to come on because he was going to MOW THE PARK !
5 - one lady once came up and asked about the KITE she saw me flying ! (silence ! )
6 - forty years ago I was a NATS pattern competitor, experience and old age, still manage.
THERE WILL NEVER BE A PROBLEM HERE

ps....I have EVEN flown a couple of times[ in the 70's] at Sepulveda Basin which is, I think, where you hang out ... !

ppss...after all these years I no longer fly for OTHER PEOPLE .... I now fly strictly for my own enjoyment of the hobby because I have no need to show off....consequently I am mostly Un-observed...I can plainly see from the odd passer-by that nobody seems to realize there is a model flying around. SAFETY
Old 12-27-2004, 12:09 AM
AirGar
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My guess is that, BB doesn't have AMA coverage either......but, it's just a guess.

J3,
Old 12-27-2004, 01:27 AM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Sorry to disapoint you Airgar but even though you don't have to have AMA to fly at the Basin (an astute observation J3FAN) I do have it. Besides needing it to compete in IMAC and Pylon as I do, I like the additional insurance coverage for possible injuries to myself and others and I like supporting the only national organization that lobbies on my behalf.

I have a feeling that this will be moved to the AMA forum where the regulars there will contribute pagelong diatribes on the topic.
Old 12-27-2004, 06:49 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just do it for that great magazine! [:'(]

Old 12-27-2004, 07:30 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am not a competitor, so the mag is starting to wane in facination. However I am quite greatful for the lobbying done in behalf of unmanned vehicles along with the insurance. I think it is one of the best deals going.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:21 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

J3FAN - Please copy this to every AMA email address you can find, especially your DVP. People like you, and me for that matter, do not feel we are getting you monies worth from this organization, and need to LET THEM KNOW IT.

I for one don't trust the AMA, and still am finding one more reason to sign my check for $58 this month. I'm like BB, my club doesn't require AMA, but I like to have it so I can participate with other clubs that do. As for the "extra" insurance, after reading the minutes from the last EC meeting is making me wonder how complicated they want to make it for us to make a claim.

Vicman has a point, the AMA WAS and COULD BE a very important organization, it is just the current administration has lost touch with reality, and judging by this post, many of it's members.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:44 AM
fliers1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Taking an objective view of the AMA, I wonder what everyone wants or expects of AMA's powers that be?

1. AMA provides insurance, but aside from that, what else should be provided?

2. Is it some think that AMA doesn't care?

3. Could it be that AMA does care, but feel that they've done their best and there is nothing more they can provide?

4. Did anyone ever offer any ideas of what AMA could/should do to make an attempt to keep everyone happy?

5. Could it be that some feel that AMA is in a powerful enough position where they don't have to do anything? After all, they are now the only game in town. Something akin to the motor vehicle department, phone company, and the IRS?

6. Since the nonmodeler and newcomer seems to be the silent majority, thoretically, if AMA had a way to offer something like a truly readily available flight instruction service (on demand), that would be a very worthwhile offer.

CCR
http://www.kites.org/rc_instructors
Old 12-27-2004, 08:49 AM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

I am a member but only due to the requirement of the contests we have. It is a requirement for the local club which I use to be pres one year. I left that club 5 years ago. I still fly with them all and good friends but our field is City owned and AMA Rules apply but not enforced.

To much politics in Clubs and not worth the headaches. I do help and get alot done for the club but on my own terms. This means if they ask for my help ,I do it my way on my own terms to get it done. Easier this way.
Old 12-27-2004, 11:17 AM
David Cutler

That's the nature of clubs and insurance, I suppose.

Neither is needed until it's needed.

The trick is to anticipate the need, so that, when you do need it, it doesn't either bankrupt you, or you find there isn't a hobby to enjoy any more.

Of course, you could rely on others to pay their way and support you.

-David C.
Old 12-27-2004, 12:18 PM
wdennie

i wish i could be so lucky to have my own place to fly were i dont need the card our club is not vey big only 7 or 8 people and only about 4 of us fly every sunday but we still need our card as we are AMA sanctioned but with the weather out here we cant get to our field and i have recently lost my job due to injury and I have not renewed yet because i simply cant aford it so with just a few days left in the year i am going to be real leary about flying after the first of the year because of insurance reasons because i dont know when im gonna be able to renew my card if prices were a little less i could prolly do it but as of right now i guess ive got a useless 2004 card.
Old 12-27-2004, 01:00 PM
fliers1

ORIGINAL: wdennie

i wish i could be so lucky to have my own place to fly were i dont need the card our club is not vey big only 7 or 8 people and only about 4 of us fly every sunday but we still need our card as we are AMA sanctioned but with the weather out here we cant get to our field and i have recently lost my job due to injury and I have not renewed yet because i simply cant aford it so with just a few days left in the year i am going to be real leary about flying after the first of the year because of insurance reasons because i dont know when im gonna be able to renew my card if prices were a little less i could prolly do it but as of right now i guess ive got a useless 2004 card.

I don't know if you're aware that AMA has the sign 3 fly free ambassador program where if you could sign up 3 adults, you will get you next year's membership for free.
I've been taking advantage of this for several years now and just as long as they keep this program, I won't ever have to pay AMA dues again.

CCR
http://www.kites.org/rc_instructors
Old 12-27-2004, 01:07 PM
crownvic

I think thats why we have clubs because if every one did it how they wanted when they wanted nothing would every get done JMO

HAPPY NEW YEAR
Lonnie
Old 12-27-2004, 01:58 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

I flew at non-AMA sites for 12 years. The insurance does not state that you must be at an AMA club, only that you abide by the safety code. Keep your membership ! The magazine and insurance are worth it. The rest is BS, no matter where you fly.
Old 12-27-2004, 02:12 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree w/ KWB! All the moaning about $58 bucks a year makes me wonder about people. I wonder what kind of equipment they throw around in the air if they can't afford the membership. I guess the next time a battery or fuel is needed it's game over till next year when I save up the money I didn't use for AMA.[X(]
Old 12-27-2004, 08:23 PM
Live Wire

For many year I flew with a bunch of guy's that flew for the fun of it and we considered AMA as our club where ever we flew. No problems with officers, field mantinance, and no one had problems they could not handle. You could come and go as you pleased. I am a AMA member and have been for many years It gives me the right to complain, But when people use AMA as a tool to raise money or force them to join to fly is in the hands of the clubs they go overboard to run the hobby for every one involved.
AMA 36417-2005
[8D]
Old 12-27-2004, 10:56 PM
wdennie

quote:
don't know if you're aware that AMA has the sign 3 fly free ambassador program where if you could sign up 3 adults, you will get you next year's membership for free.
I've been taking advantage of this for several years now and just as long as they keep this program, I won't ever have to pay AMA dues again.

the only problem with that is we are the only ones in the county interested in the hobby we have tried to draw interest toothers but to no avail. i guess ill just have to do with out for awile and hook back up on a trainer chord LOL maybe get some more training
Old 12-28-2004, 03:50 PM
fliers1

Sorry. It's just that as an individual I have no problem at all bringing in newcomers to the hobby, so I mistakenly thought that it shouldn't be all that difficult for most if not all clubs be able to do the same.

CCR

ORIGINAL: wdennie

quote:
don't know if you're aware that AMA has the sign 3 fly free ambassador program where if you could sign up 3 adults, you will get you next year's membership for free.

the only problem with that is we are the only ones in the county interested in the hobby we have tried to draw interest toothers but to no avail. i guess ill just have to do with out for awile and hook back up on a trainer chord LOL maybe get some more training
Old 12-28-2004, 06:13 PM
Live Wire

Club attitude plays a role in who comes and goes at a club and to who gets interested in the hobby locally. They see what is going on or hear what is happening and the support the get from the club makes a difference. A lot of people do not want or will have anything to do with club politics.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:29 PM
Jakeluke

I feel that AMA doesn't offer the leadership that it should. Particularly, I think they should be the driving force in our hobby for standards for interchangeability. Why do we have so many engine and motor shaft sizes, servo mounting dimensions, splines on servos, motor mounting dimensions, etc? Why aren't all these parts interchangeable?

I used to belong to the National Railroad Model Association. Their book of published standards in inches thick! They demonstrate leadership.

Model Aviation is full of pictures of people. I'm a model airplane enthusiast. If I wanted to see pictures of people, I'd subscribe to People Magazine!

Now we have proliferation of all kinds of ARFs that can be flown anywhere, by anybody, without regard to AMA membership and any type of understanding of radio interference. How many lawsuits will it take before that problem is addressed?
Old 03-21-2005, 08:45 PM
E-Mo
My Feedback: (12)

club 'tude you bet if you dont have it you cant fly!
Old 03-21-2005, 08:53 PM
gow589
My Feedback: (1)

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I see everyone listing what the AMA did/does for them in a form of instant returns. I know both sides of the fence and have been there myself but I tend to suport them anyway. I fly full scale suport EAA and AOPA even though I don't really use them. I have cars that are Pontiacs, Ford Muscle, and MGB. I joined organizations for each. I do so to suport those who further every aspect. Right now many of the car organizations are fighting proposed laws on a daily basis that would restrict classic cars.

I would ask, not what did you get from AMA this month but wrather:

What has AMA done for model aviation both for the advancement and protection.
Where would we be without them. Beter off, worse off, different organizations, no organizations?

What benifits do we (a society of modlers) have with the future of AMA?

I make no asertions here, just asking the question.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:25 PM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

If you don't have a solution you might be part of the problem. 10 % of the people do 90% of the work, which part are you that constantly throw stones at the AMA?l

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.