Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Touchy subject.

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Touchy subject.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 08:40 PM
Downtrodden

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Touchy subject.

Our newly formed club has yet to be AMA sanctioned and we've been invited to fly at the local airport for an upcoming event. I'm an experienced flyer that has yet to join the AMA, but will join before the event happens. My question is this....being that my insurance carriier has stated that they wouldn't cover any accident to persons or property at such an event would my membership to AMA cover me while I fly at the airport? There will be full scale aircraft parked all over the place and people and a parking lot full of cars nearby. I want my rear covered if anything should go wrong. This would be a great opportunity to bolster our meager ranks. Any thoughts? Thank you!
XS
Old 04-03-2005, 09:17 PM
J_R

Default RE: Touchy subject.

If you know, or can find an AMA Contest Director (CD), you can try to get him to sanction the event. He can also get a policy for the landlord for $20 more, IIRC.

Having AMA insurance will cover you, personally, but not the landlord. Of course for it to cover you, you must be in compliance with the Safety Code.

Whether the event is CD or Club insured requires 30 days from the reciept of the request at HQ. If it's all going to come together you can call Carl Maroney at HQ for advice on how to do the paper work, and the details.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:13 AM
Crashem

Our newly formed club has yet to be AMA sanctioned and we've been invited to fly at the local airport for an upcoming event.
May I suggest you become an AMA chartered club. Then I would take JR's advice.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:04 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Should you follow the advice of above, you might be aware that if (1) your show is AMA sanctioned and administered by an AMA CD then all fliers MUST be AMA members. (2) If your club charters under AMA, then all club members must also be AMA members.
If you join AMA then you will have a back-up secondary protection. A CD can obtain primary protection for the landowner. Simply consider the options, the pros and the cons and take your choice.

edited to add (2)
Old 04-04-2005, 12:58 PM
Jim Messer
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our club did this once. No more. Flying any type of model in the close proximity of full scale aircraft is just plain stupid. Now all we do is offer a static display.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:39 PM
Live Wire

No More is right . Make sure you know what you are getting in to. There is more involved than just flying a RC plane and putting on a show. Keep in mind there are fuill size aircraft in the area and you take full reasponsibility for them.
Gets interesting but we have to cover our back door!
Old 04-04-2005, 08:43 PM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Jim Messer,
I am pretty sure that the USAF and my club disagree with you. Unless your definition of close proximity is less than 100 yards.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:44 PM
Jim Messer
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jim B. Yes - I am thinking in the midst of full scale aircraft parked along runways, etc. If they are 100 yards away (that's over 1/2 mile), and behind you, then no problem. The way the original post was written, he says there is full scale aircraft "all over the place". I took that to mean that he would be flying in the middle of it all. If so - then my statement is correct - it would be just plain stupid to do so. Maybe XS will tell us more about the actual layout.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:55 PM
rw Guinn

ORIGINAL: Jim Messer

Jim B. Yes - I am thinking in the midst of full scale aircraft parked along runways, etc. If they are 100 yards away (that's over 1/2 mile), and behind you, then no problem. The way the original post was written, he says there is full scale aircraft "all over the place". I took that to mean that he would be flying in the middle of it all. If so - then my statement is correct - it would be just plain stupid to do so. Maybe XS will tell us more about the actual layout.
Yer only off by a factor of nearly 9--1/2 mile is 880 yards...

The GSWAM club flew at the Carswell JRB airshow in Fort Worth this past weekend..Had to shut down when 5 FA-18's taxied past -- their wings sheltered the models momentarily...
Flight line was on taxiway, less than 500 yards from the Blue Angels, 100 yards from the 2 PT-17 Stearman Aircraft.
It just has to be done Right
Old 04-05-2005, 05:31 PM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Woops!
Old 04-06-2005, 09:52 AM
Downtrodden

I have come to the conclusion that it just isn't worth it. When I look at the risk/gain aspect of this event, I find my posterior is definately sling-bound. I'll let the other club members show their static models and run their simulators and I'll just skip the event and go fly in a buddy's field. I'm not much on being the center of attention, anyway, but boy do I love to fly. Thank you one and all for your valued input.