AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Bay County R/C Club

Old 04-04-2005, 12:45 AM
keepiru1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Bay County R/C Club

There are many people here who ask "why join the AMA?" I was one of those people until I got set straight on some issues but it was by noone at the aforementioned club in Bay City, MI. I think Mr. Dave Brown and his EC needs to have a chat with these people. I e-mailed the contact listed on their website.....when I finally got a reply 2 weeks later it was to tell me to call the club president on the telephone. Well I try to be considerate in most things so I called him at about 7:30-8:00 pm. I asked him what the dues were and all the normal novice questions one would ask......then he asked me which frequencies I fly on and I told him......he then told me I would have to convert all my own gear to a frequency that they would "issue" to me....at this point I heard something that sounded like a smothered laugh in the background so I asked if he was serious and he said he was....said they didn't get shot down this way.....well I asked who had my main freq and he said that he did. Well Mr. Brown......I'm working with some others that may yet redeem my faith in your organization........but it doesn't take a political scientist to see where this is heading......the current AMA is like the Weimar Republic of post WW1 Germany.......out of touch with what it's little commissars are doing in it's name................and with the advent of park flyers and electrics you have an equivalent event with the Beer Hall Putsch that signaled a break with everything that had gone before. I'm probably going to join another club in the area, Mr. Brown....not because of the magazine or the any other reason except the club says I have to. And if I decide not to join......then I'll sell off all of my nitro gear and buy electric and have my own Putsch......on my own frequency and all!
Old 04-04-2005, 08:15 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Bay County R/C Club

Not all clubs are like this.
It is too bad that the adults in this club have not grown up yet.
Old 04-04-2005, 04:00 PM
the-plumber

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: keepiru1
......then he asked me which frequencies I fly on and I told him......he then told me I would have to convert all my own gear to a frequency that they would "issue" to me....at this point I heard something that sounded like a smothered laugh in the background so I asked if he was serious and he said he was....said they didn't get shot down this way.....well I asked who had my main freq and he said that he did.
I've never heard of a club trying to 'assign' a frequency to anyone, newbie or otherwise.

If you really want to put up with that sort of nonsense, join the club. AFAIK it is unique in assigning frequencies to members, if in fact they do.

It would be interesting to see what happens if and when the club hosts a sanctioned event and AMA members who do not belong to that club show up.

Having said that, AMA does not and cannot tell a chartered club what sort of operational rules it may or may not have. If the club really does assign frequencies to members, there is likely not much AMA can do about it.

EDIT : I checked the club's web site, and the members listing indicates one or more frequencies per member. They may indeed assign frequencies/channels, but in the members listing there are some strange channels listed, and at least one channel is assigned twice.

All in all, I've only run into one or two clubs ever which were not receptive to newbies, experienced or otherwise. There might be a bit of 'hazing' that goes on with the new guy, but in my experience when the extant members figure out the new guy doesn't have two heads he becomes an ordinary member in good standing.

Maybe actually go to the club's flying site and see what's going on - talk to several members present and find out how things really work.

What could it hurt ?
Old 04-04-2005, 04:30 PM
J_R

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Post is no longer relevant
Old 04-04-2005, 04:46 PM
the-plumber

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I was still collecting thoughts and looking at the web site when you replied . . . see the edited version.

The club's rules are posted, and guests are allowed. Couple of wickets to jump, but they are allowed. As are new members.

Nothing in the rules about assigned frequencies.

What the gent really needs to do is get a synth system and tell the club he flies on any frequency not already in use that day.
That's what I do.
<g>

Still, a club that is not receptive to new members and the odd guest now and then seems pretty anti-social IMHO, AMA-wise.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:17 PM
Rod Robbins

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

There was no specific rule stated about frequency "assignment" but here's a vague reference further on down on their Rules page"

"All club dues have to paid by the 3rd Wednesday of January. If not paid, a penalty or loss
of frequency will be imposed... "

I've never, NEVER heard of any club assigning channels like this, although there's a local club here that comes close. They probably just never thought of it yet!

Sure hope this is an idea whose time hasn't come!

Also, the channel synthesizer idea is a good one, too. I've had my Hitec Spectra for six years now and I never have to wait for a clear channel. A box of spare RX crystals means you never have to say you're sorry! [8D]

-- Rod
Beaverton, OR
Old 04-04-2005, 11:33 PM
keepiru1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well Fred,
That's what I would've thought too...but I've since been informed that they are pretty stand-offish sorts....as is evidenced by the fact that I notified them that this thread WOULD be posted here and my handle so they could give their replies , if they wished to. They just don't wish to. So I'll leave it here....just had to get it off of my chest before I exploded! *chuckle* They fly at a local airport.......I wonder if it's a public or private useage only type? Hmmmm.....*evil grin*......oh and 'plumber"....I did confirm it with some others that this is a "hinky little club"....their words not mine
Old 04-05-2005, 12:08 AM
keepiru1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Geistware,
Thank you and I know that.....is why I'm still looking in the area.

Fred
And another thing.......simply put.......I'm a student of history if you coulden't tell and I think that the AMA is on it's way out and we'll have to rely on our own personal liability insurance (i.e. Home Owners or Renters or Auto) to cover ourselves in case of accident. Paying $50 or $60 or a $100 a year to fly off of a piece of public grass property that the club doesn't own/lease is asinine in the extreme. I'm a gent on a really tight budget and can't afford a new radio or to convert all my gear either since I was medically discharged from the US Navy in 1997 after having a brain cyst removed. Now I just muddle along with the after effects which leave me at 70% disabled and supposedly able to work but noone will hire me for my field: computer systems technology or a database administrator/designor. So I have a bit of a deadline here: I'm told that my left inner ear, as a result of my surgeries, is degrading over time and soon I won't have this hobby anymore. Maybe I'm whining and should just shut the hell up but I do get a crawful every now and again......My apologies......actually I was hoping to be able to pay my club dues in payments I'm that tight. But I guess that just makes me an object of humor, humiliation, and put downs. *sigh*
Old 04-05-2005, 02:35 AM
the-plumber

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

actually I was hoping to be able to pay my club dues in payments I'm that tight. But I guess that just makes me an object of humor, humiliation, and put downs. *sigh*
I dunno anyone who would try to make an issue of another's income, and I don't want to know any of that sort, either.

There are folks in this lunatic hobby from every walk of life, from guys who have to watch every penny to guys so well off they don't even blink when they buy spare turbines.

What's important to me is what I get out of the hobby and what I can return to it, whether it's doing AMA legwork or helping hang roll-up doors at my home flying site.

Then again, just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not after me . . .
<g>
Old 04-05-2005, 08:55 AM
timothy thompson
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hey i live in saginaw pm me i will tell you about the bay city club you do not want to join!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-05-2005, 09:10 PM
timothy thompson
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i checked their website I have 13 radios on seperate freq. so i would have to change my freqs. Not gonna happen I know these guys they are very picky and set in their ways and fly from a full scale field now how safe is that!!!
Old 08-08-2005, 05:31 AM
keepiru1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just to bring this sort of BS back to the forefront of what is wrong with this hobby........Again Mr. Brown and subordinates have let this yahoo, Gus Tsoutsias, run his own little fiefdom here. If you check out the website you'll see that they assign you a frequency and heaven help the newby, like me, who happens to be on one the "big guys" frequencies. I was on Ch. 52 which happens to be owned by the aforementioned Gus. His response was for me to replace all my gear after I paid my dues......if they had a frequency opening for me. With me being a disabled and forcibly retired veteran......money is a bit tight at the moment and I told him as much. His response was that wasn't his problem. So Mr. Dave Brown and AMA EC.......I refuse to buy any more Dave Brown products and I'm not going to renew my AMA after this year. If you ask me why.......I'll just point you towards good old Gus.....maybe he can explain it to you.....he did a damn fine job of explaining it to me why I don't want to be associated with the AMA any longer

Richard Franks
FC1, USN (Ret.)

PS I just checked it yesterday
Old 08-08-2005, 08:39 AM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Again Mr. Brown and subordinates have let this yahoo, Gus Tsoutsias, run his own little fiefdom here.
I'm derfinitley no fan of DB, but this is not his fault. As Fred already pointed out, there are some things that are under the AMA's 'control' and some that are not.

If the clubs really were "AMA clubs" as many people mistakely refer to them, then yes the AMA could step in and fix things like this if they wanted to. Since the AMA does not own or run the club, only your club itself can address issues like this. If the club elected to institute a rule that said all members must stand on one leg and whistle Dixie before every flight, then they could do so and there is nothing the AMA could do about it.

The AMA can tell clubs (which wish to become or remain chartered) that various safety rules must be abided by, etc., but they can not tell the clubs how to run their frequency control system, how many members to allow in the club, how much money to charge for membership, or any other such topics which fall under the umbrella of local club administration.